PDA

View Full Version : (3.5E) Character Build Advice

NNescio
2011-03-01, 11:38 PM
My DM loves Touhou. So, I decided that my next character would be based heavily on Shameimaru Aya (http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Shameimaru_Aya), mechanics-wise. For 'roleplay' purposes she's a completely different character -- I just want the 'fluff' and 'mechanics' to be highly similar.

The other players are also fans of Touhou. I'm going to see who would be the first to figure out the reference.

Judging by the campaign notes, the campaign setting is high magic. All splatbooks are allowed, 'though I have a feeling that my DM would frown on excessive class dipping. The game starts at ECL 4, with point buy 32.

I intend to be moderately optimized. (eg. wherever is possible within the character concept.)

Raptoran (Races of the Wild) seems like a no-brainer so far for a race.

Class wise, I'm thinking of going Raptoran(Racial substitution level) Cleric 7/Skypledged(RotW) 10, with the Air and Travel domains. I'll probably take Travel Devotion and Improved Initiative as my first and third level feats. I'm not sure of what other feats to take though ('though DMM is always welcome), or what classes I should take for the remaining three levels. Is Improved Flight worthwhile?

I'm a bit stumped with the starting (not including level-up gains) attribute scores. Raptoran clerics can't wear heavy armor (at least not easily), and they don't get any ability modifiers, so my AC is probably going to be shot. I also intend to focus on a mix between battlefield control and charging/diving/flyby attacks. (Skypledged has a spellpool feature that is practically a divine version of Master of the Arcane Order's, so I can pick up some spells from the War domain.)

Is (STR 12, Dex 10 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 18 Cha 10) good enough?

Alternatively, I could go Wizard instead since they get a raven familiar and a spellbook, but I'm not sure how to build a Wizard who focuses on [Air] spells.