PDA

View Full Version : You approach the basement...(gestalt Boss-rush)

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-01, 11:51 PM
Gonna repost this:
Seeing as you're all good or neutral, I'm assuming you'll help a village in need. They tell you that they have recently been besieged by undead at dusk every day, and at blackest night they sometimes hear a high-pitched wailing, like that of a woman. They're positive it's coming from the nearby mausoleum.

Big surprise, you find undead in it. Skeletons, zombies, a few ghouls. You mow them down, smack in a few sarcophagi, lay the place to rest. (None of your limited use abilities are used up.) You still feel jittery, like you missed something. A presence. (Augustus feels it strongly, since he's good subtyped.)
You notice a stairway leading into the inky darkness of the basement floor...

Now is your time to buff up, discuss strategy, etc.
When you're ready, head down the stairs.
I'll wait on posting additional info until everyone's posted something.

Smilgram
2011-03-02, 12:11 PM
I smell something that needs killing that way!
*Points down the stairs*

Face Ripper already has his 3 soulmelds shaped and essence allocated per the character sheet, so boldly walks down the stairs without hesitation carrying his longspear. (If it's too dark he lights a sun rod and ties it to the top of his backpack)

Our strategy is simple: Find whatever needs killing and kill it. After that we spend a short time dancing on it's corpse and patting each other on the back, then repeat until there is nothing left to kill.

Ebondrake79
2011-03-02, 06:20 PM
"Perhaps, a bit observation before you start with the hacking and slashing wouldn't be out of order. After that I promise you kill whatever fool creatures of darkness get on our way."

I'm unsure of how we want to do marching order or even the size of the passage, but I will allow my blood thirsty companion to take the lead and I'll go in right behind.

Ebondrake79
2011-03-02, 06:43 PM
"Perhaps, a bit observation before you start with the hacking and slashing wouldn't be out of order. After that I promise you kill whatever fool creatures of darkness get on our way."

I'm unsure of how we want to do marching order or even the size of the passage, but I will allow my blood thirsty companion to take the lead and I'll go in right behind.

SwanyUSD
2011-03-02, 07:00 PM
What, scared of the dark, dragon spawn? Heh heh heh. Let whatever foolish mortal, or immortal for that matter, master of this domain meet their dark god in short order!

I use Expansion, spending 1 pp, and become Huge size. I'll add my statistics to the character sheet for my buffs, since they should remain throughout our many battles to come.

I'll march down second, spiked chain hanging loosely in my hand.

We all have darkvision 60 feet, but the Ripper's light grants us a bit more distance.

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-03, 11:44 PM
I notice fourth dude hasn't posted here yet, but I think it's time to start this thing up.
Allright...

The stairs seem to go forever, deep into the earth. The farther in you go, the rougher they are. (Assuming a sunrod) You step on things that go crunch- the ribcages and skulls of rats, and things that squelch- strange slime and molds. Deeper on this detritus becomes thicker.
Unsettling carvings adorn the walls. Early on, they show characters in robes (wizards?) and large carved statues. Deeper in, these are scratched over and defaced. In their place are detailed reliefs on undead, and periodically a shrouded levitating figure. Normal humans are sprawled on the ground around this figure.

The passageway opens into a massive chamber. The ceiling is vaulted like a cathedral's and in every direction there is something that confounds the senses. To your left, as far as the eye can see massive forges and smithies. They slowly pump, churn and otherwise operate completely on their own. They appear to be powered by fire...that is green.
To your right, sarcophagi lie scattered around chaotically. Some are opened, some closed, some ornate stone and others simple wooden coffins.
In front of you a large chalkboard sits on a stand. On it is drawn a labyrinth of mind-boggling complexity. It's hard to believe a mortal has the patience to map it out.
Standing in front of the blackboard is a translucent figure, like a pale yellow woman in a veil. She turns and looks at you. She starts to shake, and bends her head. You realize she is laughing at you.
She glides forward, and becomes more solid. (was incorporeal, now isn't)

It's Time For Initiative.
Lupus [roll0]
Face ripper [roll1]
Augustus [roll2]
Bovidius [roll3]
Pale Night [roll4]

A picture of her:http://69.8.198.251/dnd/images/fc1_gallery/98463.jpg

Map...isn't registering the spaces in my ASCII map, so I''ll say that the door's opening is 10ft wide. Bovidius stands in front of it. Face ripper is standing to the left of him, Augustus and Lupus to his right.
Pale Night is 20ft in front of Face Ripper. The blackboard is another 30ft behind her.

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-04, 09:16 AM
Internet got cut off as I was about to post again.

The figure in the sheet moves toward you. You can see a dim outline of a human shaped body, but everything, even the head is covered by the veil. Only the tiniest of slits exist, for the eyes.
Her arm stretches toward you, and you dimly hear the howling of wind.

She moves forward toward Face Ripper. (move action)
Now standing right in front of him. Attacks of opportunity? yes, go ahead if you got reach.
Touch attack...
[roll0] Edit: That definitely hits.
[roll1]
BTW, that's Charisma damage, not HP.

Now it be like this:

FaceRipper(large) Bovidius(huge) Lupus(large) Augustus(medium)
Pale Night(medium)

Smilgram
2011-03-04, 12:11 PM
[OOC: you have to wrap the text in a
block (bold to stop it from making one here). For example:
[code]
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
---------------------I I---------------
A| fff fff 11222344 SS |
B| fff fff 11222 44 SS |
C| @ 222 |
D| fff fff SS |
E| fff fff SS |
F| |
G| fff fff SS SS |
H| fff fff ____ |
I| /\ SS SS |
J| fff fff SS |
K| fff fff SS |
L| SS SS |
M| SS SS SS |

I do not get an attack of opportunity since I'm flat-footed and don't have combat reflexes. Bovidius should have an AoO, though. I'll edit this after he resolves his attack. You do indeed get up to 6 AoO per round (5 with expansion), but you can only take one per opportunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm#makinganAttackofOpportuni ty). Your reach is doubled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#reachWeapons), so you can attack creatures up to 30 ft away (and if it wasn't a spiked chain you couldn't attack creatures 15 feet or closer, but spiked chains are too cool for such restrictions).

If the attack hits me, my Mantle of Flames will deal 3d6 fire to her.]

Edit: Removed description that may not occur (will edit to add again if it matters). Added OOC rules answers for Swany.

SwanyUSD
2011-03-04, 01:22 PM
Oh no, foul spectress, you stay right there!

Bovidius does indeed have Combat Reflexes, and he attacks the spectress with his chain, attempting to trip her.
Touch Attack
[roll0]
Trip Attempt
[roll1]
Free attack while prone
[roll2]
Damage
[roll3]

This should stop her 30 or 20 feet away. I have natural reach of 15ft, and a reach weapon either doubles it, or gives me another 5 ft, I'm not sure which. if she becomes prone, she naturally does not attack Ripper. If she can try and get up as a move action, I will rinse and repeat my attack actions.

I'm also not sure what happens if I miss. Do I get multiple AoOs? I can do 5 in a round.

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-04, 05:02 PM
Clarification...
@Swany. Unfortunately, I do not think you can trip Pale Night. While she isn't incorporeal (now), she doesn't rely on appendages to fly. I wasn't sure about this ruling, but I found a thread that clarified it a bit for me.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-legacy-discussion/121799-tripping-flying-creatures.html (sorry, I know tripping's part of your strategy)
Besides, the touch attack missed.
So for your AoO, normal attack. I'll use the 28 to hit, 28 damage.

@Smilgram. Roll that 3d6 fire.
And you didn't take 6 HP damage, you took 6 Charisma damage.

And after Pale Night, it be Augustus's turn.

SwanyUSD
2011-03-04, 05:18 PM
Well, that is EN world, and not Wizards of the Coast, but I'll accept your ruling. Can I beatstick her multiple times as she continues to move through my significantly large threatened area? How far is my reach as a Huge creature with reach?

Smilgram
2011-03-04, 05:44 PM
Face Ripper is surprised by the sudden appearance of this witch and can't defend himself from her wicked touch. But his soul was well prepared for such treachery, and lashes out at her with a powerful tongue of flame that sizzles her flesh on contact.

(3d6)[roll0] fire damage

Face Ripper: 12/18 hp
AC: 21 (touch: 13, flat footed: 17, flat-footed touch: 9)

[OOC: As I said in my last post, your reach is 30 feet while huge with a reach weapon and you only get 1 AoO for movement (since movement is one event. Rules are linked in my last post if you want to look them up.)

The core rules do not cover what happens when you try to trip a flying, levitating, jumping, swimming, or incorporeal, etc. creature, so I think you're free to make up whatever ruling you want.]

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-04, 06:01 PM
@ Swany. I believe the rules state that a creature can only provoke 1 AoO from movement...per opponent.

@Smilgram. You took 6 Charisma damage, not 6 HP damage.

Pale Night went,
Augustus should go, then Face Ripper, then Lupus, then Bovidius.

Ebondrake79
2011-03-04, 06:37 PM
Vile Creature of Darkness you shall feel my WRATH!

As Augustus moves forward to attack the vile witch he mutters under his breath Blade of Blood (swift action) and than attacks the creature.

Roll to Hit
(1d20+8)1d20+8

Damage
2d6+6

Blade of Blood
1d6

I have no idea why this doesn't work?

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-04, 06:45 PM
Um dude, are you rolling IRL? Cause I'd really like you to use the forum roller.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100917

EDIT: I think that you can't input valid [rolls] when you edit a post, cause it'd be too easy to manipulate. Make new post, plz

After he does, Face Ripper's up.

Smilgram
2011-03-04, 08:54 PM
Face Ripper, feeling a little less beautiful than normal, recovers quickly. Dropping his longspear (free action), he draws one of his trusty clubs (move action) and swings for the creature like he's playing T-ball (standard action attack, two hands for str*1.5 damage).

(d20+14)[roll0] normal to hit roll
(d8+22)[roll1] damage (bludgeoning)
->In case of a crit threat, (d20+14)[roll2], (d8+22)[roll3]

Face Ripper: 18/18 hp, 11/17 Cha

[OOC: I go after Ebondrake, but I assume we can post our actions for the round in any order to speed things up a bit]

Ebondrake79
2011-03-04, 09:17 PM
Roll to Hit
(1d20+8)[roll0]

Damage
[roll1]

Blade of Blood
[roll2]

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-04, 11:15 PM
Lupus and Bovidius are up, post in either order. After that, Round 2.
And good going. You're holding your own against an unconventional opponent.

SwanyUSD
2011-03-06, 09:47 AM
Horrid cooze, Ripper's married to my cousin, and she's incredibly shallow. She only likes handsom half-breeds. No one messes with my family!

Bovidius moves into the room, away from Pale Night, to 30 feet away from her, and attacks with his chain. Unless he would provoke, then he 5ft steps away from her.

Attack Roll
[roll0]
Damage Roll
[roll1]

jthebull
2011-03-06, 05:50 PM
Lupis runs down the stairs and shoots across the room to the woman, with a great howl he lunges to bite her.

lets hope i get this part right

Roll to hit
[roll0]

Damage
[roll1]

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-06, 08:45 PM
Movement would provoke, so Bovidius moves 5ft away.

Turn 2.
A few of the scattered strands of vapor making up Pale Night knit together, as they were before she was hurt. (Fast Healing)
The pale wraith is single-minded in her attack. Through all the blows she's endured, her eye-slits have never left Face Ripper.
Her sleeve darts out again, leaving you (Face Ripper) feeling even more meek and shy. (Assuming a hit)

[roll0] touch attack, to hit
Edit: Succeeds
[roll1] Cha damage
[roll2] fire damage in return, assuming that's still active.

Order is Augustus, then Face Ripper, then Lupus, then Bovidius. Technically the order doesn't count, but for RP reasons it'd be cool to know who scores the killing blow, and going in order helps.

Ebondrake79
2011-03-06, 10:32 PM
The darkness of night shall not prevent your destruction.

Combat Cast Blade of Blood [roll0]

Roll to hit: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Blade of Blade (I take 5 points of damage to myself to do 3d6) [roll3]

Smilgram
2011-03-07, 01:57 AM
Now that I'm as attractive my cousin's turd, I'll introduce you to MY ugly stick!
Face Ripper attacks with his club (two handed still).

[roll0]
[roll1]

Face Ripper: 18/18 hp, 6/17 Cha

[OOC: Yes, mantle of flame is always active. I may reduce it from 3d6 to a lower damage (to power up other abilities), but I'll let you know when that happens.

Ebondrake, you don't need to combat cast Blade of Blood; since it's a swift action it doesn't provoke]

SwanyUSD
2011-03-07, 11:14 AM
It's time to meet your foul god, spectress! Lupus, grab her so she doesn't kill Ripper!

Nothing special here, just battering away. I take a 5 foot step (if I would provoke), or move to 30 feet away from her.

Attack roll
[roll0]
Critical confirmation, just in case (only x2 damage)
[roll1]
Damage
[roll2]

And jthebull, I am suggesting you use your improved grab ability to lock her down so Ripper won't become a wraith/spectre and slaughter us.

Smilgram
2011-03-07, 02:14 PM
[OOC: Swany: I don't think your damage is d20+16. Also, I would make an awesome wraith. Sure, I'd loose some hp, etc., but I'd kill stuff fast if each of my natural attacks dealt 2 negative energy levels! Also, I keel you! [roll0]

I never said you'd like me being a wraith, just that I'd really kick ass as one.

SwanyUSD
2011-03-07, 02:26 PM
Gah, you are right on the damage roll! And, I would not want you as a wraith under the control of another creature, bad for us typically.

Re-rolling damage
[roll0]

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-07, 02:43 PM
Usually, you become an undead when you are Strength damaged (Shadow) or Constitution drained (Wraith)...there are a few more in other books, but that's all I can think off.
However, I like your idea. After all, this is a (aspect of a) demon lord. And since it's Charisma damage, I can think of the perfect type of spawn.

Lupis is up. Then...

Smilgram
2011-03-07, 03:15 PM
[OOC: Can we get a summary at the end of each round that says who hit and who missed? I also assume you will tell us if our damage is being reduced or ignored (at least in general terms). You could just post the enemy's stats instead, but that's probably less fun.]

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-07, 05:23 PM
Masterful idea. All right then...
First round, Bovidius's attack of opportunity clearly hit, but a bit of the hit was muffled by the veil.
Face Ripper's retributive flame only appeared to slightly hurt Pale Night.
Face Ripper's attack was a solid strike, but was also baffled by the veil.
Augustus's and Lupis's attack blurred off the pale lady.
Bovidius's normal attack struck Pale Night front and center, but some of the momentum was absorbed by her veil.

Second round, Face Ripper's protective fire appeared to cause no harm to Pale Night.
Augustus scored a minor hit, but his Blade of Blood made it harsher.
Face Ripper struck another solid hit, but the veil caught some of the impact.
Bovidius swung and Pale Night barely dodged out of the way.
EDIT: Lupis dove at her and tried to get her in an armlock, but she nimblely ducked his arms.

jthebull
2011-03-07, 08:29 PM
growl growl growl, growl growl growl growl growl?

(I attempt a grapple)

attack
[roll0]
grapple check
[roll1]

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-07, 10:44 PM
Turn 3. It's Go-Time.

More scattered specks of abyssal ectoplasm reform and re-attach to Pale Night. (Fast Healing)
She stands utterly still in the air, then utters a piercing, hair-raising shriek.
You can feel your force of personality being deadened, like donning a coat of lead that weighs you down.

Fortitude saves...
Bovidius
[roll0]
[roll1]
Successful save, only 4 Cha damage.

Augustus
[roll2]
[roll3]
Successfully saved, only 3 Cha damage.

Face Ripper
[roll4]
[roll5]
What fighting spirit! You resist, but still take 4 Cha damage. Careful, now.

Lupus
[roll6]
[roll7]
Excellent rolling. Just 2 Cha damage.

Augustus, Face Ripper, Lupus, Bovidius.

"Experience is the child of thought, and thought is the child of action."
--Benjamin Disraeli

Ebondrake79
2011-03-08, 07:27 AM
Taking a momentary step back from the spirits sudden assault, Augustus grits his teeth with renewed determination. Your eternal rest is upon you.

Same action as before;

Combat Cast Blade of Blood
[roll0]
Attack
[roll1]
Damage
[roll2]
Blade of Blood (take the 5 points of damage for the 3d6 to damage)
[roll3]

SwanyUSD
2011-03-08, 09:15 AM
Screaming at the onslaught, Bovidius grits his teeth, taking another wild swing at the cloaked female.

I attack, as normal. Nothing else to do but hack wildly :smallmad:

Attack roll
[roll0]
Crit confirmation (just in case)
[roll1]
Damage
[roll2]

Smilgram
2011-03-08, 10:19 AM
Looking down at himself, Face Ripper says You've turned me into a horrid monster, and didn't even give me a mansion full of singing candles and dishware, how could you?

Swift - Shift 1 essentia to Blink Shirt (Mantle of Flame is now 2d6 fire)
Standard - Blink 20 feet to the other side of her (south)
Move - Move 40 feet away from her (south)
Free - Cry for my lost beauty

Face Ripper: 18/18 hp, 2/17 Cha

jthebull
2011-03-08, 10:36 AM
Lupis howls in agreement with faceripper and and is also curious where the animated candle and clock are

I attempt to grapple again

Attacking touch ac
[roll0]
Grapple check
[roll1]

jthebull
2011-03-08, 11:52 AM
I guess I also do an unarmed attack on my opponent while grappled

[roll0]

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-08, 10:09 PM
Summary of turn3 :
Pale Night couldn't dodge Augustus's blade, but it harmlessly slid off her veil, strangely.
(She has Dex and Deflection AC bonuses)
Bovidius's weapon didn't come near her either.
Lupus tried to grab her, but like a snake she ducked out at the last moment.
(He was 1 point from hitting her. Both the Dex and Deflection still apply with touch attacks, unfortunately)

(I hope you've deduced by my descriptions that she has DR that you haven't been overcoming.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turn 4: You Could Get Better Rolls

More former fragments of Pale Night re-unite with the larger mass of her. (Fast healing)
She stands still, and stares you right in the eyes. (All four of you feel like she's looking into your eyes, at the same time. She is.)
Surprisingly, she speaks. Her voice is clear, flowing and beautiful like an elf lady's, but tinged with power and madness.

"I don't know who you are, I don't care who you are. You are nothing.

I have lived for ten thousand years, seen the empires of sorcerer-emperors crumble to dust. I've seen Gods die! There was once a monk who trained for twenty years to kill me. I killed him in twenty seconds.

I can survive anything, outlast anyone!

Pitiful flesh-bags . . . YOU WILL BE A MINOR INCONVENIENCE TO ME. Submit to insanity, and you might just spare yourself some pain and struggle.
I will OBLITERATE YOU!"

Before she was an unpleasant pale yellow color. Now Pale Night is rapidly staining black, like a glass of water that ink is being dripped into.
She seems to have a lot more physical bulk...

Darn it. Forgot you couldn't put [rolls] into an edited post.

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-08, 10:43 PM
She lashes out against Bovidius with shadowy talons
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2] confirming if either threaten

[roll3]
[roll4]
Claw damages for respective attacks.

EDIT: I believe Bovidiu's AC is 20, so both hit. The confirmation roll was a natural 20, go figure.

Your turn.

Ebondrake79
2011-03-08, 11:19 PM
Blah Blah Blah, big words for something that exists on the fringe of the world. Not so much a ghost, but an after thought that just hasn't realized it's not really here....

Since I didn't connect last turn with my attack blade of blood is still in effect.
Attack Roll [roll0]
Damage Roll[roll1]
Blade of Blood[roll2]

Smilgram
2011-03-09, 12:15 AM
Swift - Shift 1 essentia from Blink Shirt back to Mantle of Flames (3d6 fire again)
Full-Round - Charge her attacking with club (still two handed)

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Face Ripper: 18/18 hp, 2/17 Cha
AC: 19 (touch: 11, flat footed: 15, flat-footed touch: 7)

jthebull
2011-03-09, 02:00 AM
I growl and bare my teeth to her before I lunge in to attack

arrack[roll0]
Confirm [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Edit: I miss again. Are you f-ing kidding me

SwanyUSD
2011-03-09, 10:07 AM
That monk was probably a human, too. You haven't seen the raw power of we minotaur spawn!

She has a 30 foot reach? I think not.
Attack of Opportunity, since she would've had to move towards me to attack (I am 30 feet away).
[roll0]
Critical confirmation (in case)
[roll1]
Damage
[roll2]

ON MY NORMAL TURN - I step away from her 5 feet, and attack.
Attack roll
[roll3]
Critical confirmation (in case)
[roll4]
Damage
[roll5]

Smilgram
2011-03-09, 02:02 PM
[OOC: There appears to be some confusion about positions, here is what I understood our positions to be from Shark's initial map]

@ = Boss
1 = Face Ripper
2 = Bovidius
3 = Augustus
4 = Lupus

Start of Turn 1

A| fff fff 11222344 SS |
B| fff fff 11222 44 SS |
C| 222 |
D| fff fff SS |
E| fff fff SS |
F| @ |
G| fff fff SS SS |
H| fff fff ____ |
I| /\ SS SS |
J| fff fff SS |
K| fff fff SS |
L| SS SS |
M| SS SS SS |

End of Turns 1 and 2

A| fff fff 11 222 SS |
B| fff fff 11 222 SS |
C| @3 222 |
D| fff fff 44 SS |
E| fff fff 44 SS |
F| |
G| fff fff SS SS |
H| fff fff ____ |
I| /\ SS SS |
J| fff fff SS |
K| fff fff SS |
L| SS SS |
M| SS SS SS |

End of Turn 3

A| fff fff 222 SS |
B| fff fff 222 SS |
C| @3 222 |
D| fff fff 44 SS |
E| fff fff 44 SS |
F| |
G| fff fff SS SS |
H| fff fff ____ |
I| /\ SS SS |
J| fff fff 11 SS |
K| fff fff 11 SS |
L| SS SS |
M| SS SS SS |

End of Turn 4

A| fff fff 222 SS |
B| fff fff 3@ 222 SS |
C| 222 |
D| fff fff 4411 SS |
E| fff fff 4411 SS |
F| |
G| fff fff SS SS |
H| fff fff ____ |
I| /\ SS SS |
J| fff fff SS |
K| fff fff SS |
L| SS SS |
M| SS SS SS |

If this is correct, then she provokes from everyone but Face Ripper by moving to attack Bovidius and cannot full attack. Instead, she could full attack Augustus or Lupus (with a 5 foot step).

If I have something wrong please let us know so we can figure out where we should be.]

Edit: Update to reflect a 5' step by Bovidius I missed on turn 4, which doesn't change any action. If anyone else finds a mistake please let me know and I'll fix it.

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-09, 04:56 PM
Well now I feel dumb for not reviewing the posts before posting. :smallsigh:
Sure, let's take that EndOfTurn4 map, unless someone sees something inconsistent.
Since she had to fly, over only that 1st attack counts.
Bovidius only took 7 damage. And, Augustus and Lupus get attacks of opportunity.
Normally for convenience, I'd do her 5th turn, then you go, and Augustus & Lupus roll the extra attack on their turns. But she's at low-ish health, and a lucky hit could finish her off.

So Augustus & Lupus, extra attack of opportunity. Then 4th round ends.

(Sorry again. I guess this is my 'training wheels' boss fight as DM)

jthebull
2011-03-09, 05:02 PM
I attempt a good chomp at her feet as she flies past

Hit
[roll0]
Confirm
[roll1]
Damage
[roll2]

Edit: REALLY..... I hate you autoroller

Smilgram
2011-03-09, 05:12 PM
[OOC: No problem, it's easy to not be be on the same page when doing loose movement descriptions, that's why the quick little maps like that are cool.

Also, Augustus had a further +2 for flanking, so his attack he rolled above should hit. His attack of opportunity he still has to make will not get that bonus, though. Bovidius went after Agustus, so also get's +2, but it doesn't matter with his rolling.

Lupus: LOL, you suck. Maybe invest in some potions of True Strike next level?]

SwanyUSD
2011-03-09, 05:29 PM
We could also move over to roleplaymarket.com. Their thread system is better, it has a secured dice roller (so you can see the results of your roll before it's posted, which is much easier to use), and it has a drag/drop map feature which is super easy to use. Just a thought, I've run some games there in the past that have worked out very well.

I think this forum is convenient considering where we met up, but roleplaymarket.com is much more user friendly for DMs.

Just saying...

Ebondrake79
2011-03-09, 09:53 PM
Attack of Opportunity.

Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-10, 10:06 PM
Turn 4:
Augustus (counting the flanking) strikes a mighty blow, made harsher by the Blade of blood on his weapon.
When he attacked Pale Night flying by, he missed her.
Face Ripper charges and savagely beats Pale Night over the head with his club.

Bovidius swings once as she rushes by him, and once when she's stationary. Both go wide.
Lupus tries to do likewise, but has terrible luck and fumbles with his jaws both times.

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-10, 10:11 PM
Turn 5: Two lucky hits.

Pale Night must be happy to see her favorite victim back again. . . she's turning pale and doughy again.
She reaches out to Face Ripper...
[roll0] as a touch attack.

[roll1] Cha damage if it hits.

EDIT: Well, that's that. Face Ripper begins twitching madly, and you can see his eyes rolling. Pale Night chuckles.
You can tell that quite shortly, Face Ripper will be mind-controlled / made into a minion of Pale Night. IF you think you should, you can attack him. He's considered dazed. (can take no actions for 1 turn, no penalty to AC)

. . . . Aaand heroes go!

Smilgram
2011-03-10, 11:23 PM
[roll0] fire to her for touching me

[OOC: I can't wait to kill the party, it's just too bad I don't have Cleave!]

SwanyUSD
2011-03-11, 09:57 AM
Time to die, wench!

I take a 5 foot step, or move to 20 feet away from her if I wouldn't provoke, in a direction AWAY from Ripper (so that when he moves to slaughter, I'll be able to hit him), and attack her. The goal with my movement is to be 20-25 feet away from her and Ripper, so he's gotta move through my threatened area if he's moving at all.

Attack roll
[roll0]
Confirmation critical roll (in case)
[roll1]
Damage roll
[roll2]

Ebondrake79
2011-03-11, 06:29 PM
Not stopping to worry about his companion Augustus rushes forward to once more strike at the foul creature.

Since I have just one more first level spell I will once again cast Blade of Blood, use my 50 ft move to take up a flanking position if possible without provoking an attack of opportunity and attack.

Attack Roll: [roll0] Did not include the flanking bonus.
Damage: [roll1]
Blade of Blood: [roll2]

Subtract 2 from damage roll, not sure why I added +8

jthebull
2011-03-12, 01:29 AM
I lunge once more at the foul woman

attack
[roll0]
confirm
[roll1]
damage
[roll2]

Smilgram
2011-03-12, 01:52 AM
End of Turn 5 map

A| fff fff 222 SS |
B| fff fff 44 222SS |
C| 443@ 222 |
D| fff fff 11 SS |
E| fff fff 11 SS |
F| |
G| fff fff SS SS |
H| fff fff ____ |
I| /\ SS SS |
J| fff fff SS |
K| fff fff SS |
L| SS SS |
M| SS SS SS |

Everyone remaining managed to flank her, so Augustus hits.

Edit: Update to reflect a 5' step by Bovidius I missed on turn 4, which doesn't change any action.

jthebull
2011-03-14, 11:24 AM
So what's the word?

Smilgram
2011-03-14, 03:09 PM
Oh, have you not heard? It was my understanding that everyone had heard...
YouTube Video (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCAQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D2WN rx2jq184&ei=U3V-Tf2OEIXEgAfKu6yAAg&usg=AFQjCNGE4ZGGcNlNiUWR9B4nTO3EOLmSWw)

As for what's up with Shark, I don't know. Maybe that last hit killed him instead of the boss.

His last post was 5 days ago, not 4 days. Not enough to worry about yet, but I was hoping for a post a day (and yes, I do expect disappointment, especially from Swany).

SwanyUSD
2011-03-14, 03:21 PM
Since I specifically requested a slower paced game (3-4 posts per week), I am not surprised by a 4 day missing period. It's not that big of a deal. And jthebull was just phishing for the very youtube video smilgram posted. And the answer to his riddle is: my middle finger :smallamused:

Ebondrake79
2011-03-14, 05:31 PM
That was pretty good I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of Family Guy but I think Stewie's reaction is about right.

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-15, 08:38 PM
Strange weekend. Strange upcoming week. But I'm back.

Turn 5
Face Ripper's fiery protection barely hurt Pale night at all.
Bovidius and Lupus missed in their haste to end the fight quickly.
Augustus kept his calm and stabbed her, though.
Even at the brink of death, Pale Night is slowly knitting herself back together.

Turn 6: Betrayed
Face Ripper stops cackling wildly. Suddenly he runs toward you!
Pale Night waits, and then springs after Face Ripper.

(She delays until he acts, then attacks. She knows that people only get 1 attack of opportunity a round, and considers him a tool to absorb them. If you have Combat Reflexes, you will foil her plan.)

Go in normal order. Face Ripper, use your normal stats, but you also do 1d4 Cha damage on a hit. Also, something to bear in mind is that, if Face Ripper were human, he'd look something like
http://wizards.com/dnd/images/hoh_gallery/91997.jpg
without the clothes and baton, and obviously with armor and a club.
I want to make a Joker quote, but I can't think of any.

Heroes -1, go!

Smilgram
2011-03-15, 08:45 PM
Great to have you back!

Augustus goes before Face Ripper (unless his init was changed by the effect). Then I'm not sure who Face Ripper will run towards, since he can attack everyone from where he is (unless Augustus moves away during his turn). See the map a few posts ago for where everyone is.

Also, Bovidius already displayed to everyone that he has combat reflexes by attacking her the first round.

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-15, 09:18 PM
Yeah, normal initiative, which would be
Augustus
Face Ripper
Pale Night (delay)
Lupus and Bovidius after.

Face Ripper chooses who to attack. If he doesn't want to choose or hasn't posted for a while, I'll hunt up his stats and play him.

Pale Night isn't scared of Bovidius, his attacks have been missing lately.

Smilgram
2011-03-15, 10:16 PM
True, but Face Ripper is more scared of him than anyone else, so will 5' step in his direction and club Bovidius (after Augustus acts, of course).

[roll0]
[roll1]
-In case of threat [roll2] for [roll3]

Which should put him at -19 with the 7 points he took earlier. Really wish I had great cleave right now...

SwanyUSD
2011-03-16, 11:56 AM
With the light fading from his eyes, Bovidius looks into the deranged, twisted sneer of Face Ripper, the lovable spawn of a minotaur and human, and wimpers, Cousin, how could you?

With that, the light fades away from Bovidius' eyes, and he closes them, never to be opened again...

Ebondrake79
2011-03-16, 05:26 PM
Lets hope this finishes off are favorite friend.

I continue to attack the pale ghost.

Since I'm out of 1st lvl Dusk Blade Spells,
I will combat cast Cure Light Wounds.
Combat Cast: [roll0]
Touch Attack: [roll1]
Hopefully Damage: [roll2]

jthebull
2011-03-16, 09:24 PM
Seeing my friend expire like a bad gallon of milk I howl and miss her again

Attack
[Roll]1D20+11[\roll]
Confirm
[Roll]1d20+11[\roll]
Damage
[Roll]1d8+12[\ROll]
If confirm
[Roll]1d8+12[\ROLL]

Smilgram
2011-03-18, 01:03 PM
Screwed up trying to roll, see next post

Smilgram
2011-03-18, 01:04 PM
Well, we're pretty much at the end of the combat, so to speed up this imminent TPK here are the rolls that will probably end it (forgive me if I'm stealing your thunder Shark, but this is dragging out and there's not much left to do)

She takes her delayed action to full attack and finish off Augustus (who was already down 10 hp from two enhanced blood blades)
[roll0] for [roll1]
[roll2] for [roll3]

And if Augustus goes down Race Ripper acts first on turn 7 and will 5' step and attack Lupus
[roll4] for [roll5]

Wow, Lupus with the highest AC of the party survives my rolling a 6, so I guess he gets another chance to prevent a TPK. Good Luck!

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-19, 09:44 AM
1) Why did you combat cast Cure Light Wounds? Who did you heal?
If you are under the impression Pale Night is undead, unfortunately she is an outsider. Face Ripper is now...maybe a Fey or something.

Tell you what. Make a knowledge (religion, or the planes) check.
If you do good, you can do the turn over again, since you would've known it beforehand.

2) Lupus's [roll]s were incorrectly typed. Redo, man.
EDITed for emphasis: Lupus, you gotta reroll.

Ebondrake79
2011-03-19, 05:57 PM
Oops, well hope doth springth eternal.

Religion Check: [roll0]

Roll to hit: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Smilgram
2011-03-21, 04:11 PM
jthebull has been busy recently and I doubt he will post in the next few weeks. This is a TPK in any case, so do we want to try another first level battle with the 3 of us? Maybe we can roll a little better this time and have a chance.

SwanyUSD
2011-03-21, 04:33 PM
That's fine with me.

Shark, let us know if you want us to remake characters, level up to 2nd level, or remain the same. If you want to run us through the same fight, that would be fine with me, although I'd say she gives us a 30-40% chance of winning without jthebull. Maybe we level up and run the same one? Up to you, you're the DM.

Let us know. Thanks!

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-22, 11:03 PM
Ah, just 3 people. That's unfortunate.
Stay level 1, and I'll tone down the next encounter.
Give me a day or so to think of your foe.

Pale Night is still "canon", so you died and are in the underworld. But you basically fight the same as before, have your equipment, etc.
At a certain point you'll bust out and be alive again.

Smilgram
2011-03-24, 10:39 AM
Ok, just let us know when you're ready.

Can we make minor changes to our characters or do you prefer they stay the same?

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-24, 08:48 PM
I don't know what changes you mean, but yes (probably).

Scene-setting (cause I love narrating dramatic stuff)
. .
. . .

. . . . . .

What is life after death?
Do you march through pearly gates?

Unlikely. Although you did die fighting a demon, you had not done enough good deeds to get a speed-pass to Celestia.

Are you being tormented by devils?

Even more unlikely. You never pledged your soul to a Duke of hell, or did something evil in general.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The vast majority of mortal souls simply go to Hades. They lived out their lives largely unaware of the celestial planes' crusades against evil, or the Blood war. The celestial and fiendish bureaucracies largely ignored them.

You are on a plain. You are surrounded by strangers. Most are humanoids--humans, dwarves, elves, gnomes, halflings, orcs, goblinoids, kobolds, gnolls and such. Occasional giants stand here and there. Everyone, including you, is gray. The ground is gray. Your equipment is gray and faded. You are more defined than the other souls because you're fresh, and you have heroic spirits.
More than anything, you are overwhelmed by how big the area is. It could stretch on forever. Just in your line of sight you see thousands of individuals. It is a sea of souls.
(If you've read The Amber Spyglass, I'm describing the underworld)

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-24, 09:16 PM
You are truly in the doldrums. After a few hours, you can feel your emotions beginning to deaden, and the souls around you start to blur together.

Then you hear an echoing sound. A war-horn. The hairs on the back of neck stand on edge.

A hole is being torn in the sky above you, about 10 feet over the ground. Smoke, fire and enthusiastic shouting start to leak out of it. (It's a portal)
Three things leap down out of the portal.
They look like malformed trolls, but they're the size of humans. They're wearing dirty leather smocks, strange curving horns, and have polearms strapped to their backs. They have beards down to their waists. They start grabbing souls and tossing them up to the portal, like sacks of grain. You can see arms and shoulders sticking out of the portal receiving them.

Another war-horn, with a different pitch, rings out.

After a terse huddle, two of the devils start squeezing through the crowd to investigate. The last keeps going about his business of soul-swiping.
As he's looking around, he looks at you, past you . . them he jumps in amazement.
"Those ones! Hey! Those ones have weapons! Is that supposed to happen?"
His eyes narrow. "Are you . . . adventurers?" He sneers.
Now he steps toward you. "I'm afraid, due to Pact Mortis, section XXIII, code 37, part C, second paragraph, that I must confiscate those weapons." He takes his polearm of his back. You can see that it's a saw-toothed glaive.

Reference pic

http://www.rolando20.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/devil.gif

Initiative: Devil [roll0]
Face Ripper [roll1]
Augustus [roll2]
Bovidius [roll3]

EDIT: I amaze myself with my rolling.
So... The devil takes a breath, and disappears in a blue flash. He reappears (in a blue flash) adjacent to Face Ripper. (He used a teleport spell)
"You can do this the easy way, or the super easy way." He shifts his stance, ready to block your attacks.
(Augustus and Bovidius are close enough to be in melee range if they 5-ft step.)

Smilgram
2011-03-25, 04:05 PM
[OOC character changes]

I just want to trade out:
potion of Faith Healing for an Oil of Magic Weapon
feat Shape Souldmeld: Mantle of Flame for Power Attack

Neither should make a big difference, so if I can't that's perfectly fine

Actions: I will draw my club, take a 5' step away from him, and then attack him.

If you allowed the above change I have 2 essentia in Rageclaws, otherwise I have 2 essentia in Mantle of Flames.

Attack [roll0] (subtract two, since I can't get flanking)
Damage (club) [roll1]

Assumption: Map of Turn 1 before my action, I just made him adjacent to me and 10' from Augustus and Bovidius, adjust as needed (including any terrain, etc.)

----------------------------
A| 333112
B| 33311
C| 333 d
D|
E|
F|

1 = Face Ripper
2 = Augustus
3 = Bovidius
d = Devil

Map after I act:

----------------------------
Z| 11
A| 333112
B| 333
C| 333 d
D|
E|
F|

1 = Face Ripper
2 = Augustus
3 = Bovidius
d = Devil

edit: And the sucktastic rolling continues...

Also, never mind my attempt to flank, since that would take 10' (my bad). I revised to step away instead

SwanyUSD
2011-03-25, 04:18 PM
Bovidius, clearly annoyed by some foul-smelling, horned devil taking his stuff, roars disapprovingly, Back off, demon, devil, or whatever the hell you are! We're getting outta here...

I also changed out a potion of healing for an oil of magic weapon +1. Since I'm far enough away, I move to 25 feet away, to the left, and swat at him with my chain, attempting to trip.

Attack roll (versus touch AC)
[roll]1d20+11[roll]
Trip Check
[roll0]
If he drops, I get a free melee attack, at +4 to hit because he's prone
Attack roll (versus regular AC)
[roll]1d20+15[roll]
Confirmation, just in case
[roll]1d20+15[roll]
Damage roll
[roll1]

SwanyUSD
2011-03-25, 04:20 PM
My bad... rerolls for all three, in order of previous posting.

Attack Roll #1
[roll0]
Attack Roll#2
[roll1]
Confirmation Roll
[roll2]

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-25, 05:16 PM
Face Ripper swung horribly (your rolled a 3, after all) but his club still hit the devil over the head. The impact was slightly cushioned by his infernal muscles.

Opposed trip check [roll0]
Is that it? Just a Str/Dex check? dang.

Bovidius flips the devil off his feet, and he hits the grounds like a load of dirty clothes. The chain comes whirling down to hit him, but he manages to scramble out of the way.

Ebondrake79
2011-03-25, 05:20 PM
Wondering how an angel killed on the prime material didn't just return to his plane of origin Augustus waits for some petty bureaucrat to notice the mess up.

When the devil appears Augustus smiles to himself, a way to get noticed he things and cast your favorite spell and mine as well Blade of Blood takes a five foot step forward and attacks the demon.

Attack Roll [roll0]
Critical Roll if needed [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Blade of Blood[roll3]

Here's hoping that I don't roll like crap all game this time.

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-27, 08:29 PM
(Assuming you weren't factoring the +4 for hitting a prone target)
Augustus righteously stabs the devil right in the chest. (But damage reduction, again)

The ugly thing stands up (move action) and swings at Face Ripper with his glaive. It's obviously already bloodied. (half health)
[roll0]
[roll1]

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-27, 08:31 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

"You've chosen the SUPER EASY way. Prepare to die, adventurers."

EDIT: Ah, failed to confirm. Regular hit
EDIT2: Did I just roll a natural 20 to attack, and a natural 1 to confirm? Wow.

Smilgram
2011-03-27, 08:54 PM
Augustus went before Bovidius, so the enemy wasn't prone when he attacked

Standing provokes an attack of opportunity from everyone
Attack [roll0] (miss, natural 1)
Damage [roll1]

If Bovidius leaves him prone I attack normally, if he is standing when it becomes my action I delay until after Bovidius and then attack.
Attack [roll2] (If he is not prone subtract 4)
Damage [roll3]

Face Ripper: AC 21, HP 6/18

Edit: Wow, a natural 1 and then a 2, what rolling!

SwanyUSD
2011-03-27, 09:53 PM
Sit back down, fiend!

Let him stand up? Please...

Attack roll (touch AC)
[roll0]
Trip check
[roll1]
Attack (free attack for prone)
[roll2]
Damage
[roll3]

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-30, 04:37 PM
Ok. He wasn't prone when Augustus attacked, so Augustus missed.
Start of 2nd turn, he stood up.
THEN HE TRIPPED AGAIN - opposed Str check [roll0]
Then he got hit by both Bovidius and Face Ripper.
He's on his last legs. I believe Augustus gets attack+attack of opportunity. If he delays until after Bovidius, the attack gets +4 for prone-ness.

Ebondrake79
2011-03-30, 05:12 PM
Sorry it's take so long to post, I've been prepping for adepticon and it slipped through the cracks.

I take my attack of oppurtunity the Demon/Troll thingy.

Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]
Since it didn't discharge last round....
Blade of Blood[roll2]

Ebondrake79
2011-03-30, 05:53 PM
And for my turn.

If I hit in the previous attack I will attempt to to take a 5ft step to gain flanking, recast blade of blood and attack the creature again.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Blade of Blood: [roll2]

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-30, 06:02 PM
A) You're hurting its feelings. He's a devil.

B) He was at 7 HP with DR 5. 13+1 puts him at -2. 15+6 destroys him.
EDIT: I'm dumb. I saw your 2nd post and thought your 1st post had changed. Gah.

C) Well done.

D) I'll be thinking of the next turn in the crooked road you walk. In the meantime, you get enough experience points to reach level 2. Remember, gestalt too.
My DMG tells me that you get 1,333 GP each. (4000 split 3 ways) If you think it would be prudent, you can set aside a share for jthebull. You know more than me about if/when he'll be back.

Smilgram
2011-03-31, 09:30 AM
I think it's vaguely possible he might be interested in another week or two (after he turns in his big paper). It's pretty unlikely, though, so let's just split it three ways.

What are we doing for hp? Max, 3/4, 1/2, roll, 2dxb1, x^2/ln(x)?

Edit: I updated my character for next level (except the hp) and bought a few potions. I have about 900 gp left if someone wants to borrow it until next level.

SwanyUSD
2011-03-31, 03:30 PM
Whatever you want to do on the gold is fine by me. I guess I thought we were getting the cash to get us to lvl 2 starting wealth, but more is betta' to me. Unfortunately, I am without computer for 2 weeks at home, since my laptop had to get sent in for repair. I'll bug smilgram, and have him edit my char for me.

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-31, 05:34 PM
maximum HP.

I'd appreciate it if, when your character's all said & done, you
A) Note your vital statistics in the post (HP, AC, saves, Init, attack bonus and damage for usual weapon)
B) Include a link your mythweavers sheet.

Denouement
Remember the second second set of war-horns you heard? It turns out they were a skirmishing group of celestials. They're pleasantly surprised to see you, especially Augustus. Near them, you see the corpses of the two other devils who went off to investigate the war-horn sounding. The celestials' arms and armor were granted by Pelor himself, so they saw no real need to loot the bodies. You manage to scavenge 4,000 GP from the bearded devil you killed, as well as the 2 others the celestials slew.
They create another portal, leading to a a world of rolling plains and gentle sunshine. (possibly a mild suburb of Ysgard) After a few days of rest, you feel fully restored.

The leader tilts his head at an angle, as if hearing something you can't. (telepathically receiving a message) After a while he announces that they are needed on the 420th layer of the Abyss. They quickly pack up camp and get ready to leave. They offer to drop you off on the Prime Material Plane en route to the Abyss. What do you do?
(You could go to the material plane. Or you could ask to be dropped off at another plane, or to tag along to the Abyss)

Smilgram
2011-03-31, 06:12 PM
Sure, no problemo.

Face Ripper (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=279291)
Initiative: +4
Saves: Fort 10, Ref 7, Will 5
AC: 21 (Touch 13, Flat Footed 17)
HP: 40
Att: 4 claws at +18 (Landshark boots totem bind)
Damage: d8+18

Ebondrake79
2011-04-01, 05:57 AM
Hey Guys

I'm out of town till Monday. Sorry for the delay but ADEPTICON here we come! And if Kev wants to update my character as well I'm down for that.

SwanyUSD
2011-04-01, 09:55 AM
It's tough for me to get my char sheet updated right now, since I don't have my books. I will be taking a level of psywar, and a level of swordsage. I'll try to get my guy updated as quickly as possible.

SwanyUSD
2011-04-02, 08:43 AM
My char sheet is as updated as I can get it, I'm just missing my swordsage powers.

Bovidius (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=277427)

AC: 21 (Touch 13, FF 16)
HP: 34 (44 w/temporary hit points from Vigor)
Initiative: +5
Fort: +12, Ref: +7, Will: +7
Attack Bonus: +11 (w/ magic oil +1)
Damage: 3d6 + 17 (w/ magic oil +1)
Trip Check: +24

Shark Uppercut
2011-04-03, 09:34 PM
Some thoughts:

@ Smilgram:
You been a great help with your combat maps. One of these days I'm going to have to learn how to [code] that.
Have you factored your rage into your attack and damage stats?
Who's your deity? Are they from a particular supplement?

@ Swany:
Your character sheet could be more explicit, but I think you're now a (PsyWar 2 // SwoSage 1 HalfMino). Right?

@ Everyone:
It's a minor thing, but could you give yourselves character pictures? Even if it's only 5 minutes of Google image searching (what I always do), I get a better idea what your Minotaur looks like.
And, you know that the celestial dude asked you a (relatively open-ended) question, right? Any plane you go to will have Bosses to find, but it's up to you to choose which plane to visit and which Bosses to find.

Smilgram
2011-04-03, 09:59 PM
Here's a picture (http://www.dreamforger.com/galleries/nick/illustration/minotaur.htm), except I would have scales, a chain shirt, and my hands and feet would be claws. I'm still working on the glowing eyes, I think there's a soulmeld I can get later that will do it for me.

When raging, my stats become:
Initiative: +4
Saves: Fort 12, Ref 7, Will 5
AC: 19 (Touch 11, Flat Footed 15)
HP: 44
Att: 4 claws at +20 (Landshark boots totem bind)
Damage: d8+20

I took the same diety as Ebondrake because I'm lazy, I'm not sure where it's from.

edit: I would say Elysium, but I doubt the others would want to kill their bosses, so I how about the Brass City? There's plenty of cool badasses to kill there.

Ebondrake79
2011-04-04, 06:52 PM
I'm back...

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=278735

Augustus
Initiative: +6
Saves: Fort 9, Ref 9, Will 9
AC: 21(22 shield of faith) (Touch 15, Flat Footed 16)
HP: 26
Att: +9 attack great sword (+10 magic weapon oil)
Damage: 2d6 + 1d6(flaming great sword) + 6

can't find an image I like but I'll keep looking.

SwanyUSD
2011-04-04, 08:29 PM
I'd say we go to the Abyss, personally, but I'd be fine doing something else.

Shark Uppercut
2011-04-04, 09:29 PM
I kinda meant, plug in a suitable picture on the character sheet, to the left of the amount of weight you can lift, pull and such.

1- City of Brass
2- Abyss, 420th layer (I assume you meant to go with them)
3- Whatever Ebondrake suggests, or DM's choice if he doesn't suggest it soon.

[roll0]

EDIT: Okay then. If you don't already have it, fire resistance might be useful to have in a metallic city on the elemental plane of fire.

The angels drop you off at the gates of the City. The guards make sure you know the laws, and ask that you follow a few simple rules:
-Weapons stay sheathed at all times.
-No harmful or deceiving magic.
-Stay out of the way of the efreet.
You notice that the laws for non-efreet are more restricting than those for efreet. Most of the penalties involve being sentenced to slavery for a period of time. After some hassle, you pass through.

The city is huge. The streets are wide and are filled with people, including a surprising number of material-plane natives. Also common are devils. Fortunately, these pay no undue attention to you. Fiery oxen pull carts of ore. Everything smells like a burning candle, but a hundred times stronger. You vaguely taste soot in the air. Open flames crackle in the gutters.

- - You could find you way to the Commoner's Market if you're looking to buy anything. (I'll assume that's were you spent the 1,333 GP you already had, actually)
- - You could go to the slave market, if you have leftover gold. (Don't know what you'd really need a slave for, though)
- - The castle of the City Guard isn't far away, if you want to check the wanted list / bulletin board of bounties.
- - The Rookery is infamous for its casinos, pleasure pits and gladiatorial arenas. (The Guard usually skips patrolling there) Perhaps you could find fame and fortune there?

If you want to know something, roll a Gather Information check. If you want to talk to a particular person, say who and roll Diplomacy / Bluff / Intimidate, depending on what you say.

What do you do?

Smilgram
2011-04-05, 09:27 AM
Hmm, the arena seem fine to me. I'll start heading there unless someone stops me. As I walk I look at the claws on my hands and wonder out loud How do I keep these sheathed, anyway?

The picture has to be a certain size and you need direct link to the picture on the web. Kind of a pain just to have it show up on the sheet.

Ebondrake79
2011-04-05, 05:18 PM
Agreed, pic the picture of your preference.

As for the Arena, it seems like a good way to make ends meet.

Out of curiosity how much gold do we have per person, I only picked up a flaming sword.... Guess it's to late to change it.

SwanyUSD
2011-04-05, 06:07 PM
Walking through the streets, Bovidius admires the wondrous variety of creatures, including the flaming oxen. Looking around, he decides on a course of action, Let's go see if there are any bounties outstanding. I'm sick of fighting for other's viewing pleasures. Heck, we may as well be doing some good, whilst taking pleasure in glorious battle!

Actually, ebondrake, I don't think you can afford a flaming sword (that's a +2, which is 8,000). We only have what we started with, plus 1,333 gp.

Ebondrake79
2011-04-05, 09:48 PM
Disregard the flaming sword, I wasn't thinking or reading when I added that. For the time being I'll just hang onto the money.

Smilgram
2011-04-05, 10:22 PM
Finding people to kill seems like a lot more effort than having them forced into an arena with you, but I suppose I'll stick with you for Aunt Cowthulu's sake.

Face Ripper turns and follows Bovidius.

Shark Uppercut
2011-04-07, 06:09 PM
A) I've been away for a few days, sorry. Had writer's block, and schoolwork.
B) You got 1,333 GP, started with 300 GP. I don't think you've used any consumables, so your assets are 1,733 GP each.
C) In your next post, tell me your fire resistance, if you have it.

You walk into the City Guard's tower. It's a tall and imposing block of iron stabbed into the ground.
You're in a reception area. There are a few uncomfortable looking chairs and a table. A short (for an efreet), squat and bald efreet in a hauberk sits behind a desk. He looks at you tiredly, and jerks a thumb over to one of the walls. "Bounties o'er there, watch yourselves now."
On the wall are scattered paper notices. Browsing them alongside you are a tiefling and warforged.

Some of the notices obviously aren't worth your time.

Goblins took my longsword! Please, track down Nosegrubber and make him give it back!
-Dexter P.
-920 Ashen Court,

Some look . . a little unmanageable.

It's time to destroy Ashtarladon, the heretic wyrm. Dyd cut out his heart, and yet he sewed a demon in his chest and still lives. Join me, and we will finish him once and for all. Dragonslaying experience preferred.
-Variann Uthgart

There are a few that look promising, though.

By Order Of The Sultan
WANTED: Xanthus the Abishai.
CRIMES: Insider trading in the soul exchange, infernal kickbacks, larceny
DESCRIPTION: Red gargoyle, human sized, spiny tail. Missing left eye.
REWARD: 840 Premiers
(The Cinders is a lower-class section of the City. Premiers are platinum coins.)

Wanted: A few reliable agents. Combat experience necessary. Meet me in the Bronze Shell at 5 o'clock, Wednesday. Be by the fountain. Don't be followed.
-X
(the Bronze Shell is a park. It's Tuesday in-game)

There's also a proclamation that in two days, the Sultan will legalize gladiatorial fighting, with the provision that only condemned criminals participate, as an opportunity to commute their sentence.

A despondent hound archon walks in, escorted by two efreet officers. He starts arguing with the desk efreet. The gist of the thing seems to be that he was apprehended for theft, and is due to be one of the inaugural gladiators at the Sultan's new arena.
The hound archon keeps insisting that he was framed. He asks if there's any way he could opt out of fighting.

What do you do?

SwanyUSD
2011-04-07, 06:25 PM
Passing a curious glance at the hound archon, Bovidius raises his eyebrow, thinking, Odd that an archon would be arrested for theft. They're born goodly folk, and that's not the goodly folk way. No doubt Augustus is having a fit over this one.

Well, fellas, me thinks that Xanthus the Abishai is about to get his comeupance. Job pays well, too. Personally, that Ashardalon fella sounds interesting, but a red dragon with a demon heart is... a bit out of our league, perhaps. What say you?

I reserve the right to change my stance to the fire resistance one. I believe my fire resistance is 5, based on my tumble ranks.

Smilgram
2011-04-07, 06:35 PM
I wonder how good old Ashardy's doing, I'll have to remember that heart trick, I just have to find a pit fiend's heart first... Anyway, I can't really sneak very well, so how about them goblins?

Is someone going to shut up that whiny little dog-man?

I have Fire Resistance 5 and can have 10 as a swift action. I switched out my blinkshirt soulmeld for the phoenix belt on the character sheet to get this. If anyone doesn't have fire resist, a potion costs 300 gp (or a wand for Augustus would cost 90 gp/charge)

Ebondrake79
2011-04-08, 05:33 PM
Being a celestial being you would expect that I was immune to fire, however at this stage I have no resistance to fire whatsoever.

Moving slowly and confidently forward. Augustus approaches the Hound Archon being accosted by the two effeeti guards. "Excuse me gentlemen" Augustus states with a calm yet commanding voice, " I couldn't help but over hearing what has transpired here, I can perhaps assist you in this matter. I am sure you are aware of Ghaele's ability to detect lies & falsehoods, I can quickly determine if he is guilty of the crime that he is accused."

Shark Uppercut
2011-04-08, 10:53 PM
Was NOT expecting that.
Well, I'm glad that at its core, this is a Boss Rush and not any kind of investigation game.
Can a ghaele actually do that? I don't have my monster manual on hand. The SRD doesn't mention that ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghaele.htm), nor does the monster class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9212463&postcount=10).

Anyway, let's see if, as you say, they are aware of this.
Having ranks in Craft doesn't make make sense for a guardsmen. Lets put those 14 ranks in Knowledge (the Planes).
[roll0]
And because you're both celestials, he's obviously suspicious that you're just trying to get the archon off free.
Sense Motive [roll1]

@ Bovidius and Face Ripper
The goblins was intended to be a throwaway joke, but you could choose to pursue it. Or the secretive park meeting, or the Abishai. Or back up Augustus. Talk it out.

Ebondrake79
2011-04-09, 05:44 AM
Actually the monster class does allow me to detect thoughts, which should allow me to read the surface thoughts of anyone within range.

I turn towards the Hound Archon "If you resist the touch on your mind it will prove your guilt." Turning towards the guards, "Please continue to question the Archon about the theft" I will cast the spell and attempt to read the thoughts of the hound archon and than I will also attempt to read the thought of the two guards spending 3 rounds of concentration on each of them.

Smilgram
2011-04-09, 10:28 AM
Talking to Bovidius Wouldn't it be easier to just cut the dog-angel in half to send him back to his home plane? Seems like a lot of effort that could better be spent killing someone worth fighting. In any case, I'd prefer the gargoyle mission if we had someone who could get there without being followed. Have you learned how to be stealthy yet cousin? Otherwise it looks like more goblins again. Or we could always try the arena.

Shark Uppercut
2011-04-10, 07:06 PM
Improvising a crime . .

Escorting Efreets
Hound Archon

Explain how you came to have a . . ring mailed to you.
I don't know what's so bad about a little brass ring?
It's strictly forbidden. You obviously had mail-ordered it, which is crime punishable by death.
I don't know who mailed it to me! This is a mistake!
We confiscated the envelope, and it had no return address. Tell us who sent it to you.
I don't know!
You think you could do something like this and get away with it!?
The hound archon isn't lying. He's scared, because he's started to realize he broke some incredibly obscure law regarding magic items.

Will save for the guards [roll0]
Ok, thought detection fails on them.

Smilgram
2011-04-10, 08:22 PM
Face Ripper's thoughts, while you're listening:

KillKillKillKillKillKillKillKillKillKillKillKill
We could fight the guards, but they look almost as pathetic as the bitch they're guarding
KillKillKillKillKillKillKillKillKill
Maybe that old guy hobbling along in the street, he could be a ninja in disguise!
My elbow itches
KillKillKillKillKillKillKillKill
Cousin didn't respond to my joke about cutting the dog-angel in half, maybe he's seriously considering it
KillKillKillKillKillKillKillKillKillKillKill
Even goblins are starting to look attractive
KillKillKillKillKillKillKillKillKill...

SwanyUSD
2011-04-11, 09:32 AM
Bovidius' thoughts:

A ring? What the f8%#?! Unless this thing is an artifact of inescapable, overwhelming evil, what a waste of time. Should I slaughter them? Seems like a bad idea. Don't want to upset the folks here, they are much more powerful than me.

Whispering to his cousin, Bovidius whispers back, "I think that killing the hound archon should be a last option. It could set him free, but perhaps he actually committed a crime. But if it's apparent that he didn't do any crime, and they insist on imprisoning him, than setting him free shall be our course. Let us see what Augustus comes up with.

Smilgram
2011-04-11, 10:02 AM
In a loud whisper that carries across the room Face Ripper says Let the angel decide whether we help another angel? That sounds like a conflict of interests to me, as well as a waste of time. I have a solution that should satisfy everyone.

Face Ripper walks over to the guards and gently pushes Augustus aside if necessary.

Ok, here's the deal. I understand you're very particular about the law, and while I don't understand that, I can respect it. Unfortunately this dispute is causing an acute lack of killing on my part, which is simply unacceptable. So I'm going to give you a fairly simple choice.

Option 1: You let the little dog-thing go and I agree to kill whatever he was supposed to fight, as long as it doesn't take more than a week of my time.

Option 2: You act like I've already killed you (I can actually kill you if you prefer, but frankly it's a waste of my time) and call whatever real enforcers this city has and I decide the issue by fighting them.

Ebondrake79
2011-04-11, 05:41 PM
Shacking his head as the two brothers go at it once again, trying to remember why I'm working with these guys. Augustus thinks to himself. Turning towards the guards, "It would appear that my companions are getting a little on the restless side. Perhaps it would be best if we finished are conversation before they get bored, gently moving Face Ripper out of the way, I can assure you that the Hound Archon has no knowledge of who sent him the brass ring, and is completely confused as to what power it might hold, however I would second my companion options, if you do not feel that my word at his innocence is not good enough. We would be willing to take his place if it doesn't take longer than a week and of course there is always the second option. . . .

Shark Uppercut
2011-04-12, 10:38 PM
Internetz access a little restricted until . . well, a while. I'll try to post a few time a week, though.

The efreet behind the desk pulls out a dagger and stabs in into the desk with extreme prejudice. The two other efreet jump.

"Right . . . you think you want to kill something? I want to stab your eyeball right now, but I'm not. HANDLE YOURSELF."

He closes his eyes and breathes deeply, trying to calm down.

"Alright. Here's the deal.
Hound archon sits in the brig.
Three of y'all get out of my sight, sharpish.
In two day, get back in here. If you don't, I'll hunt you down and string you up myself.
You will be an inaugural fighting group in the Sultan's arena.
You will fight two Standard Medium-size Beasts, one for you and one for the hound. Probably will be a mated pair, if the species comes in two genders.
If you walk (meaning walk out alive), you're off scott free. If it's a particularly cinematic fight, the Sultan may gift you some baubles. The hound'll walk too.
If you die, the hound'll have to fight two more Beasts, and that won't be pretty.
Got that?"

I wanted to make this a demi-roleplaying game, but if you want to go from killing Boss A, resting, then just teleporting to wherever Boss B is, say so. This game shouldn't be focused on arguing with NPC guardsmen. (Although that's fun too)
Arena encounter being generated.
If you have anything to do before engaging in mortal kombat, do so.

Smilgram
2011-04-13, 07:55 PM
I assumed we would just teleport between battles (or handwave some other reason to constantly be having battles, healing, resting, battles...) but I don't mind roleplaying it out either.

Face Ripper bends down to loudly whisper in Augustus' ear Was that option 2? It sounded a lot like option 2, but the dagger in the table kind of threw off my chain of thought and I'm not completely sure.

I might fight the guy behind the desk even if he did somehow pick option 1 without my noticing. He seems very angry and I think he might be able to get that pig-sticker into my eye, which would make for a great fight!
To the efreet behind the desk his normal voice Face Ripper says Say! you're not a fiendish Efreet by any chance, are you? I'm looking for a fiendish heart to replace my flimsy little orc/minotaur/dragon one I have now, and yours might have enough fury to fit the bill if it has fiend blood running through it.

SwanyUSD
2011-04-14, 06:35 PM
Bovidius' laughter peals in great bursts from his belly, Beasts? What are we, chopped liver?

We accept your worthless challenge, one with the fiery temper. Pausing to chuckle, Bovidius continues, Do not worry about us not obliterating whatever pathetic foes you throw our way. We will break them, to much delight of the Sultan, assuming of course he enjoys stunningly quick deaths of said beasts in question...

Bovidius laughs heartily as he walks away, when he suddenly stops and turns, facing the hound archon. Do not presume we do this for nothing. You will owe us a debt of your life when we accomplish our task! Prepare to pay us with a trip to your home realm, where your leaders could find us more worthy, and challenging foe. Celestial treasures to aid us in our route of various devils and demons could be in order, as well. Pray that we meet again.

Ebondrake79
2011-04-16, 09:39 PM
"Relax my friends, will play the game as it were." Turning towards the Efreet "Lets get this started, I have no interest in wasting any more time."

Shark Uppercut
2011-04-19, 05:32 PM
(Sorry this took a while. It's been a hectic week.)
It's the day.
You step through a wall into the arena pit. The place is packed. The closer seats shimmer with heat, filled with efreet and fire elemental nobles. Farther up are azers and salamanders, the top rows with the worst view are reserved for material plane natives. Everyone is excited, since you're the first match.

You are in a ring.
It has walls of brass, and the floor is sand. Very fine sand, surprisingly soft and comfortable on your feet.
You are standing next to each other, your backs to the wall.
100 feet away, a wall opens on the other side. An man steps out. He looks like a middle-aged barbarian hero, with decorated leather armor. He is extraordinarily muscular, and his skin is rugged and stony looking. He has a longbow and quiver strapped on his back, and a greatclub swinging from his side.
http://www.markeedragon.com/screenshots/data/3189/barbarian.png
He puts his fingers to his lips, and whistles. A large scaly creature walks out, barely getting through the door. It is a dragon, but only with two back legs, and it looks unintelligent but fierce. A saddle is on its back.
http://myliteraryquest.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/wyvern-1.jpg
He mounts up, and looks calmly at you.

Someone fired an arrow into the stadium. It reaches an apex . . and bursts into light! That's the signal! Go!
Augustus [roll0]
Face Ripper [roll1]
Bovidius [roll2]
The barbarian [roll3]
His wyvern [roll4]
EDIT: Exactly synchronized rider and mount, cool.

SwanyUSD
2011-04-20, 06:15 PM
On my turn...

You want a show, crowd? We will show you the fight of your dreams, the fastest dream you've ever had, in fact!

To note, I would have Expansion and Vigor up, as well as the +1 oil on my chain (just one end).

So I attack at +11 for 3d6 + 17 damage. I will always power attack for 1, so +10 to hit, 3d6+19 damage.

I move 40 feet, and ready an attack on the wyvern. EDIT: they go before me, so I may not have to move to attack. I also get to, probably, get an attack of opportunity on both. I will roll all of them here (I have 30ft reach). If it appears that they cannot be tripped, as in they are flying, my "touch attack" will simply be the attack roll, and please use my "critical confirmation" roll as such, if necessary (x2 on a 20).

Readied attack on wyvern
Touch attack
[roll0]
Trip check
[roll1]
Free attack while prone
[roll2]
Critical confirmation
[roll3]
Damage
[roll4]

AoO #1 (wyvern)Touch attack
[roll5]
Trip check
[roll6]
Free attack while prone
[roll7]
Critical confirmation
[roll8]
Damage
[roll9]

AoO #2 (rider)Touch attack
[roll10]
Trip check
[roll11]
Free attack while prone
[roll12]
Critical confirmation
[roll13]
Damage
[roll14]

SwanyUSD
2011-04-20, 06:19 PM
Edit: Since Augustus is charging the whole darn way (totally unexpected by me, which is odd since I knew he could move at 50), please change my move to charging as well, with just the one attack. So I move 80, and I'm 20 feet away. If they move, somehow, keep my original plan.

My bad, I also initiate burning blade, for 1d6 +1 fire on each attack (it's a swift action). It would not apply to my attacks of opportunity, since if they provoke, it's before my turn.
[roll0]

Ebondrake79
2011-04-21, 06:53 PM
Shacking his head at the gladiatorial combat Augustus quickly evaluates the situation and taps into one of angelic gifts.

Since he is only a 100ft away I will use a free action to cast blade of blood than charge forward for the double movement(base movement 50) and the attack at +2. And I will attack the wyvern.

Attack [roll0] Includes charge bonus.
Sword Damage [roll1]
Blade of Blood (I will take the [roll2] damage to myself to do [roll3] to the wyvern

Ebondrake79
2011-04-21, 06:57 PM
Sweet my First Crit :smallsmile:

Roll to confirm
Sword Damage[roll1]
Blade of Blood[roll]3d6

Shark Uppercut
2011-04-23, 03:55 PM
Crit failed to confirm. Still a solid hit.

The wyvern goes goggle-eyed with rage, and snaps at you.
Bite [roll0] . . [roll1]
It arches its tail up, and stabs it down suddenly
Stinger [roll2] . . [roll3]
Fort save [roll4] for poison EDIT: Successful!

In case of crit:
Bite [roll5] . . [roll6]
Stinger [roll7] . . [roll8]

The barbarian looks amused. He was reaching for his bow, but now he draws his club. He leans over to smack you over the head.
Ride check to attack [roll9] EDIT: Also successful!
Greatclub [roll10] . . [roll11]

In case of crit:
Greatclub [roll12] . . [roll13]

Bovidius moves up 80ft and smacks the wyvern with his (temporarily burning) chain.

Face Ripper's up.

Smilgram
2011-04-23, 05:01 PM
Face Ripper rages, then charges and strikes the wyvern with a claw from 10' away using full power attack (1 point).

Attack[roll0]
Damage [roll1]

HP: 44/44 AC: 17 (Touch 9, Flat Footed 13)
Rage: 14/15 rounds

Ebondrake79
2011-04-24, 06:52 AM
angel down, I'm at -9

Shark Uppercut
2011-04-24, 02:27 PM
You automatically stabilize, but bear in mind that you're still helpless.

The wyvern is more subdued now that it had the stuffing beat out of it.
It snaps half-heartedly at Face Ripper [roll0] . . [roll1]

In case of crit:
[roll2] . . [roll3]

The barbarian leans further out of his seat and swings at Face Ripper.
Ride check [roll4] . . EDIT: Succeeds
[roll5] . . [roll6]

In case of crit:
[roll7] . . [roll8]

Smilgram
2011-04-24, 07:59 PM
Wow, that big guy sure hits hard. Face Ripper will Jump 5' up (auto make the DC 40 jump check) and attack the rider with four claws at full power attack (1 point).

Attack[roll0] for Damage [roll1]
Attack[roll2] for Damage [roll3]
Attack[roll4] for Damage [roll5]
Attack[roll6] for Damage [roll7]

After attacking, as a swift action I'll move 1 essentia to Azure Toughness and 1 essentia to Rageclaws (one remains in Landshark Boots)

HP: 4/47 AC: 19 (Touch 11, Flat Footed 15)
Rage: 13/15 rounds

SwanyUSD
2011-04-25, 07:56 PM
What a cute little lizard you are! Why don't you get rid of that pesky little human rider of yours?

I move to 30 feet away from the wyvern, and I attempt to trip it, hopefully kicking the rider off at the same time (of course, before Face Ripper slaughters the rider. I power attack for 1.

Touch attack
[roll0]
Trip Check
[roll1]
Free attack while prone, takes into account -4 ac for prone
[roll2]
Crit confirm (if applicable)
[roll3]
Damage
[roll]3d6+19

SwanyUSD
2011-04-25, 07:57 PM
And I fail at posting again...

Damage roll
[roll0]

Smilgram
2011-04-25, 08:45 PM
lol, I wish I had +145 to hit :)

Ebondrake79
2011-04-26, 06:25 AM
Does that mean my AC can by 145. I LIVE!!!

Shark Uppercut
2011-04-27, 12:06 PM
Not even going to roll for the wyvern to resist tripping. You trip, then gut it.
The barbarian is stunned by the power of Face Ripper's claw flurry.

The wyvern is dead.
Ride check to hop off without injury [roll0]
Fall damage if he can't [roll1]
EDIT: He hops off the collapsing lizard successfully.

He's pissed that you killed his mount. He enters a rage, and attacks Face Ripper. [roll2] . . [roll3]

Bovidius, I believe it's up to you.

SwanyUSD
2011-04-29, 08:36 PM
Great googlie mooglie, the ripper's quite dead.

Stepping away from the enraged barbarian(a full 30 feet), Bovidius snorts, howling in fury that his comrades have fallen, Do not presume that I will let you get with spitting distance of me, human!

Bellowing to the Gods, Bovidius whips his chain in a frenzy, bringing it to bear on the legs of the barbarian champion. power attacking for 1.

Roll to touch
[roll0]
Trip check
[roll1]
Roll to hit prone target
[roll2]
Crit confirmation, in case
[roll3]
Roll for damage
[roll4]

HP: 44/34
AC: 21

Shark Uppercut
2011-05-03, 03:16 PM
[roll0] to resist tripping.
EDIT: Natural 1. Ouch.
Well, he's at -3 HP now.

On to level 3!
I believe that you get 9,000 GP split 3 ways, or 3,000 GP each.
Working on something more fancy to say here, and next opponent.

SwanyUSD
2011-05-18, 09:55 PM
So for whatever reason, I never got the email showing that you posted. My bad! I'll level up my guy, assuming we are continuing. Let us know. I think the two dead ones need to know what to do.