PDA

View Full Version : I Need a Spy!

DrizztFan24
2011-03-02, 12:19 AM
I need a gestalt spy. I was thinking rogue/factotum, but I think the double skill monkey thing might be too redundant. I also considered something like rogue/fighter for the full BAB and the feats, which could be used to further my rogueness. I looked through Complete Scoundrel and was less that impressed with the PrCs for a spy style character, they have the assassin thing down though. Any suggestions? This is for a solo and somewhat free-form game, so I am pretty sure I won't need the power of a rogue/swordsage.

Emperor Ing
2011-03-02, 12:24 AM
A spy is extremely ambiguous. You can go Wizard/Swordsage and still be able to pull off a spy theme pretty well if you put emphasis on Diplomancer and make liberal use of Illusion magic. Swordsages get 6 skill pts per level, not too shabby, especially considering the Wizard casting stat is Intelligence. :smalltongue:

mobdrazhar
2011-03-02, 12:28 AM
maybe rogue/sneak attack fighter

going into chamileon (sp?)

Waker
2011-03-02, 12:30 AM
I would be inclined to say Rogue/Wizard or Bard/Wizard. With the Wizard you could specialize in Illusion, Divination or Enchantment and be quite potent.

DrizztFan24
2011-03-02, 12:35 AM
Are there any unarmored rogue variants that I could take advantage of?

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-03-02, 12:39 AM
The beguiler is basically a ready-made sneaky mage type who does illusions, enchantment, utility, and skills quite well, an excellent base for a solo PC; take rogue on the other side if you want to be more of an assassin (as beguiler has a class feature that enhances their spells against flat-footed targets, which synergizes well with sneak attack) or factotum/chameleon on the other side if you want to be more of a James Bond spy-who-can-do-pretty-much-anything feel. I suggest chameleon for race in either case because, aside from the obvious disguise benefits, the chameleon rogue substitution level gives you 10+Int skill points at 1st level and the ability to take 10 on social skills for the rogue build and changelings can qualify for chameleon for the factotum build.

DrizztFan24
2011-03-02, 12:49 AM
The beguiler is basically a ready-made sneaky mage type who does illusions, enchantment, utility, and skills quite well, an excellent base for a solo PC;

I would want to compare the Spell Compendium wiz/sorc spells and the beguiler list. I have played beguilers before, and while fun, their spell selection is limited. And I was going to play a human, to fit the setting.

Lyndworm
2011-03-02, 12:55 AM
Do you think that you could swing Changeling? The Changeling Rogue racial substitution levels have 10 skill points per level and the ability to always take 10 on social skills. They lose something useless like Trapsense in place; I don't really recall.

Mix that with Factotum and you can instantly mimic another person, even if their class is vastly different from Rogue. Beguiler is also nice, for the Swift-action feints, non-lethal spells, and prolific Illusions.

Amnestic
2011-03-02, 01:04 AM
I know you said PrCs in Complete Scoundrel, but I'd be remiss if I didn't point out the Spymaster Prestige Class from Complete Adventuer.

I would suggest Beguiler as your base class. Illusion, light armour, and it hits all the requisite skills to qualify for Spymaster. Plus Beguilers are awesome.

Sith_Happens
2011-03-02, 01:07 AM
Maybe the Unseen Seer PrC from Complete Mage? Gives you bonuses to Sneak Attack and Divination spells.

Zaq
2011-03-02, 01:39 AM
Factotum/Psion (Seer). Do it.

Sith_Happens
2011-03-02, 02:13 AM
Don't forget some way of sappin' peoples' sentries.