PDA

View Full Version : The Esoteric Multiverse

Amiel
2011-03-02, 01:42 AM
The Lamentable Stair

It is said the Unending Staircase is not truly infinite; in its course throughout the infinite realities, it winds against and warps upon itself, affecting the illusion of vast dimensionality. This is evidenced in the tremendous contortions and illogical meanderings of the various satellite stairs the Staircase projects around itself like a great web.

Time bends in the wake of this compression and unknowable realms are anchored to minuscule platforms. To uncoil, to straighten these stairs is to unravel time and reality itself.

A seemingly unending series of steps descends from a black door on a little travelled section of the Staircase. Hearsay suggests these stairs are unwaveringly straight, for no visitors have survived that which festers upon this stair.

Recovered Sensoriums, retrieved with great cost and at distance, articulate a great crushing depression that twists about the heart and the mind like a vice. The recordings are incredibly dark, as if light itself flees that which lurks upon this stair; not more than 10 feet is illuminated by various light sources.

Crying, pleading and sobbing permeate these recordings; lengthy suppositions are undecided as to whether the sobbing is a result of the despair effect and produced by the visitor or a condition of the stair. It is only known that the crying and pleading is carried out by an external thing and contingent upon visitation.

These archives also suggest that visitors to this stair are observed; vocalisations record visitors feeling incredibly uneasy, as if being watched. Fleeting glances out of the corner of eyes imprint a pale, featureless face upon the psyche; a memory that is affixed on the visitor.

The sobbing, pleading and crying become progressively louder though paradoxically more distant as visitors progress down the steps. And the haunting image of the face becomes more frequent.

Some archives abruptly end as a low moan overtakes the recording, while others seem blessedly free of this disturbance. As visitors descend, they become increasingly fearful, muttering vagaries of conversation and slowly rocking as they walk, run or scream down the steps.

Beyond 665 steps, visitors vocalise an intense fear that threatens to stop their heart. Recordings are inexplicably irretrievable after the 666 step is taken.

WhaT iS UPoN thE STaIR?!

Amnestic
2011-03-02, 01:46 AM
An infinite collection of Furbies, all talking at once, forever.

Even Elder Evils are driven mad by them. ::smalleek:

SiuiS
2011-03-02, 02:00 AM
Go find out }:3

Lyndworm
2011-03-02, 02:01 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/Lyndworm/PenguinWarrior.jpg

Amiel
2011-03-02, 04:46 AM
Go find out }:3

Indeed; and please tell us what you find!

I was thinking something like this, but darker, just pretend the thing absorbs light;
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/263/4/6/grin_by_humandescent-d2z4o6x.jpg

Eldan
2011-03-02, 04:57 AM
That picture is amongst the most awesome things I ever saw. Just saying.

The 666 steps would indicate that the stairs are, perhaps, connected to the Abyss, the only place where I saw the number 666 used in D&D before (or was that just fans? I forget).

However, "It's the Abyss!" doesn't make for a good mystery. So instead, I propose it leads to the imprisoned king of the shadow fiends. I had a semi-done homebrew article somewhere about Shadow fiend society and their higher ranks, but I can't find it now.

Ashram
2011-03-02, 05:05 AM
That picture is amongst the most awesome things I ever saw. Just saying.

The 666 steps would indicate that the stairs are, perhaps, connected to the Abyss, the only place where I saw the number 666 used in D&D before (or was that just fans? I forget).

However, "It's the Abyss!" doesn't make for a good mystery. So instead, I propose it leads to the imprisoned king of the shadow fiends. I had a semi-done homebrew article somewhere about Shadow fiend society and their higher ranks, but I can't find it now.

Well, super despair is pretty typical of Hades, so who knows.

Eldan
2011-03-02, 05:13 AM
It's not really suicidal despair in Hades, though. More like depression. A general lack of emotions. So, again, who knows.

Let's hear more theories!

Faeries are strong on feelings. Here, we have darkness inducing despair, so I'd say it is something connected to the Queen of Air and Darkness and her foul moods.

At least in my cosmology, the original plane of Faerie was sundered and scattered over the planes when the race of Fae split into the two great courts. This staircase leads to one of the darkest parts of old Faerie, the Dale of Black Tears.

Saintheart
2011-03-02, 06:41 AM
You're actually going down the stairs from the top of the Dark Tower ...

... and Roland of Gilead is on his way up.

:smalleek:

The Winter King
2011-03-02, 06:50 AM
It leads to the bottom. The bottom of the abyss, the root of existence. For in the Begining there was Darkness...

Eldan
2011-03-02, 06:51 AM
It's that damn endless staircase from Super Mario 64.

Alleran
2011-03-02, 06:57 AM
It leads to the bottom. The bottom of the abyss, the root of existence.
A Tainted Scholar who has spent the last trillion years (or however long the multiverse has lasted) doing nothing but casting, and casting, and stretching the darkness of his depravity and black evil further and further across the myriad planes. Even the Far Realm itself recoils from the blackness seeping from the center of the multiverse, the utter corruption that coils from within.

Eldan
2011-03-02, 07:29 AM
Which is why, when all is said and done, the Far Realm will encapsulate the multiverse in horror, like an oyster would a grain of sand in a pearl.