PDA

View Full Version : Epic bard feats and build advice

ffone
2011-03-02, 03:00 AM
Given that someone is playing a single-classed epic bard, what are good feat choices, magic items (not necessarily "epic" items, but things you'd do with tons of money), etc.?

This campaign has runestaves, so if the character gains 7th+ level spell slots (via Improved Spell Capacity), I believe he could use runestaves to cast sor/wiz spells of those levels, in which case any sor/wiz spells that would be particularly useful to a bard are of interest.

JeminiZero
2011-03-02, 03:26 AM
This campaign has runestaves, so if the character gains 7th+ level spell slots (via Improved Spell Capacity), I believe he could use runestaves to cast sor/wiz spells of those levels, in which case any sor/wiz spells that would be particularly useful to a bard are of interest.

Actually Runestaves specifically state that the character using it can only cast the spells within if they are on his class spell list. Which is why you don't see Warmages/Dread Necros running around with them.

You can probably still use Runestaves, but only with UMD check to emulate class feature.

ffone
2011-03-02, 03:57 AM
Ah yes, right you are. In fact I believe that's what they were doing (the character had a UMD mod of 19 or better to hit the "emulate class feature" DC 20 reliably).

Hmm, are there items which grant metamagic feats? (There are the rods, which don't increase the slot used, but if there's something cheaper which is in effect a a feat-on-a-stick and increases the slot used, that would work here.)

(Side note: the metamagic rods seem slanted against spontaneous casters - as they're spontaneously useable for prepared casters, but still increase casting time for sorcerers - and one may infer, for bards.)

Kaww
2011-03-02, 04:47 AM
As far as I know there are no items that actually grant metamagic feats. But I don't see a reason not to homebrew them. It's a question of correct price/body slot (ring?) estimation, which is up to the DM.

Aharon
2011-03-02, 04:48 AM
Depends on the level. The epic bard feats are lackluster, but stack, so if you have too many feats or use DCFS-cheese, might be worthwhile. An exception is Inspire Excellence - it's considered a bardic music inspiration feat, so it should work with Words of Creations for a +8 competence bonus on an ability score. Of course, if Epic Magic is involved, this is completely negligible, but if you ignore the Epic Magic rules, it's not bad.

Lasting inspiration is ok, I guess, but the duration will still never go above 1 encounter.

You could use the Master Staff feat to get access to higher level spells via improved spell capacity.

Amiel
2011-03-02, 04:56 AM
If you have the feats to spare, you should possibly invest in: Automatic [Quicken/Silent/Still] Spell, Spell Stowaway, Multispell.
Alternatively, you could take Epic Leadership.

Leolo
2011-03-02, 05:38 AM
Improved Spell Capacity looks like a no brainer to me, at least if you do not already have 9th level spells because of sublime chord. Not only you get the bonus spells because of high enough charisma. It also opens up epic spellcasting, and helps to use metamagic more often.

Music of the gods seems to be very good, too. The +10 on will saves does not really scares a bard as the DC of suggestion and especially fascinate are high enough until epic levels.

A bard who is focussed on inspire courage and similar songs (possibly enhanced by words of creation and so on) could further increase it with epic inspiration.

I don't really want to think about the number of + a lvl 30 bard could give with a single inspire courage if he focuss on it, though.