PDA

View Full Version : Rod of Wands?

Tyger
2011-03-02, 08:26 AM
I know the Eberron item that allows you to fire multiple wands with a single action (consuming extra charges etc etc) but is there a mundane version of this item?

I am starting play as an Dwarven Artificer, and would like to have my wands in a rod shaped object, that could spin (say a Swift action) to select the wand to use, then use said wand normally. No real magic required, and no magical effect produced beyond what the wand triggered does.

Does such an item exist? Beyond the Wand Chamber of the Warforged of course.

If something like that doesn't exist, how would you suggest stating it? 1,000 GP? Something to that effect?

Amnestic
2011-03-02, 08:33 AM
Are Warforged Wandchambers different to the normal variety (located in Dungeonscape)?

Extra money to pay for a modified rod/quarterstaff, plus a bunch of Wandchambers (x*100gp). I'd put the rod at the price of a Masterwork Quarterstaff + however many wandchambers you want.

Angry Bob
2011-03-02, 08:40 AM
There's the Rod of Many Wands, which is from either the Complete Arcane or the Complete Mage. You load three wands into it, which you can then fire as a full-round action by draining two more charges from each one.

LordBlades
2011-03-02, 08:40 AM
A wand bracer (dungeonscape) is half of what you need (swift action to get the wand you need, but you have to use a full round action to put it back in the bracer), so I'd say the item you need should cost double (600 gp)

panaikhan
2011-03-02, 08:51 AM
I came up with the concept of a revolver pistol for my artificer, loaded with special one-shot scrolls (made using potion rules) for cartridges.

I can see a possibility for a 'rifle' along the same lines, loaded with wands.
I would have to say that moving the chamber one 'slot' forward or backward could be a swift action, but selecting a wand might have to be a move-equivalent, just to make sure you get the right one.

The Eberron fluff mentions war machines that automatically fire off charges from a belt of Eternal Wands when the handle is cranked, so I can see there should be a precident for something like this.

Darrin
2011-03-02, 08:52 AM
I know the Eberron item that allows you to fire multiple wands with a single action (consuming extra charges etc etc) but is there a mundane version of this item?

I am starting play as an Dwarven Artificer, and would like to have my wands in a rod shaped object, that could spin (say a Swift action) to select the wand to use, then use said wand normally. No real magic required, and no magical effect produced beyond what the wand triggered does.

This sounds exactly like the Wand Bracer in Dungeonscape (300 GP, p. 33). Holds up to 5 wands, swift action to eject the wand you want into your hand.

Some other options:

Glove of the Master Strategist (3600 GP, Ghostwalk). Free action to swap whatever is in your hand.

Kimono of Storing (20000 GP, Oriental Adventures). Works just like a Glove of Storing, but can swap two items (one for each sleeve).

Bracers of Wands (60000 GP, Dragon #291). Each bracer (one on each arm) can hold up to 3 wands. Attuning a wand costs 1 charge, but after that can be triggered normally.

Mighty Arms graft (1000 GP, Faiths of Eberron) + Wand Sheath (4000 GP, ECS). Only works for 1 wand, but you could probably add a Battle Fist + Wand Chamber (100 GP, Dungeonscape) for another. The Wand Sheath might also allow you to take Wand Bonding, a feat from City of Stormreach that allows you to expend spell slots to cast spells from a wand without draining charges (essentially, add any spell you can find in a wand to your spell/infusion list).

DEMON
2011-03-02, 09:16 AM
One more thing to add:
Wand Bracelet (12,000 GP; MIC). Stores up to 4 items shrinked as charms on the bracelet. Swift action to grab any of the items, move action to swtich held item for another "charm".

dextercorvia
2011-03-02, 12:46 PM
A quarterstaff can hold two wand chambers, and be held in one hand. If you wanted, you could use a quarterstaff for a small creature, and it wouldn't seem as awkward.

sims796
2011-03-02, 12:57 PM
Why am I imagiing some sort of wand gatling gun?