PDA

View Full Version : 2 Person Party, New Character [3.5]

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-02, 10:54 AM
I'm currently half of a two-person party in a 3.5 game. Our DM has given us the option of switching characters at level 10, which I took. My compatriot did not, which is no big deal. Our previous party makeup consisted of me as a Cloistered Cleric focusing on DMMing Persisted Divine Power. He is playing a gnome (hooked-hammer wielding, no less) Paladin riding a Blink Dog. As you can see, I was carrying most of the weight for the last 10 levels or so. I'm switching characters mostly out of a desire to do something different, but I'm totally drained for ideas. I'm currently playing in 3 D&D games, and I'm running two more. Most of my ideas focus on things I haven't played before, or things I haven't played in quite a while, but the problem is that most of them are support characters. I've considered Rogue, Binder, and a mounted, dragon-riding style character. The first two require more work from the Paladin, and the 2nd would overshadow both of us given the fact that it's a flippin' dragon. I'm turning to you, dear Playground, out of a need for ideas: something that can hold up the slack when need be, and provides effective ways of dealing with CR 10+ threats. I want to avoid being another Cleric, and I'm not a big fan of Arcane full casters. Any ideas?

Tvtyrant
2011-03-02, 11:00 AM
Duskblade or Beguiler would get you casting without the OP aspect, and the Beguiler would act like a super-rogue. Alternatively Spellthief would work in that regard.

ToB is weaker then Cleric but gets you lots of abilities, as does Binder from ToM. You could also go with an Arcane Trickster if you feel that the above are OP or if you prefer core. Its a little weaker but it gets the job done. Finally you could go off the weird end and play a Psion.

Morbis Meh
2011-03-02, 11:06 AM
How about a Wildshape Ranger who prestiges into Master of Many Forms?

Draz74
2011-03-02, 01:32 PM
Factotum, Beguiler, and Dragonfire Adept are three lovely classes. They're all Tier 3 in power, have a good mix of skills and arcane abilities, and don't involve all the hassles (bookkeeping) of playing a Wizard or Sorcerer.

Alternatively, if Tier 3 doesn't pack enough punch for you, Psion is a fun choice that can be taken many, many directions. It can be a healer if your party still needs that.