PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro takes up LARPing?

Aidan305
2011-03-02, 11:25 AM
Look's like Hasbro's expanding their range of Nerf weaponry.

http://www.hasbro.com/nerf/en_US/n-force/

I wonder how many would pass weapons checks?

Thialfi
2011-03-02, 12:05 PM
Whenever I go shopping with my son, I let him browse the toy isles for a while. He recently picked up an official Thor's hammer by Nerf and began swinging it wildly about the isles. It seemed to appeal to him more than the Nerf swords and axes and various How to Train Your Dragon implements of war.

Aidan305
2011-03-02, 12:28 PM
Warhammers are fun to use.

Eldan
2011-03-03, 05:13 AM
Dunno... they look pretty silly with that plasticky look. Not really what you would want for a LARP. Well, you could repaint them, I guess.

Calmar
2011-03-03, 07:58 AM
Back in my day we used wooden sticks and cudgels for swordplay.

Spiryt
2011-03-03, 08:41 AM
Dunno... they look pretty silly with that plasticky look. Not really what you would want for a LARP. Well, you could repaint them, I guess.

Depends on the LARP I guess, many fantasy weapons don't look much different.

http://69.8.198.251/dnd/images/ph2_gallery/97105.jpg

And charging up the hill.... even when defending!

Seriously though, with my brother and friends we're beating each other with sticks, plastic swords, pipes, old bead planks, and so many other stuff...

Those kids today! :smallwink:

Calmar
2011-03-03, 09:43 AM
Depends on the LARP I guess, many fantasy weapons don't look much different.

http://69.8.198.251/dnd/images/ph2_gallery/97105.jpg

Wow, did you notice the halfling- and children-sized skulls dangling from Medium-sized Krusk's armour? :smallbiggrin:

Seriously though, with my brother and friends we're beating each other with sticks, plastic swords, pipes, old bead planks, and so many other stuff...

Those kids today! :smallwink:

The prettier such a weapon is and the more expensive it is, the less you can truly use it...

Maeglin_Dubh
2011-03-03, 11:15 AM
Look's like Hasbro's expanding their range of Nerf weaponry.

http://www.hasbro.com/nerf/en_US/n-force/

I wonder how many would pass weapons checks?

As a Squire of the Kingdom of Crowns, Dux Gladii of the Gladii Valoras, and Regent of Talamh Doantean.... None of them pass weapons check. We've tried.

The tips of the swords are too pointy. The blades of the axe bend with a medium hit. All of them flex too badly. And you can feel core through a lot of them.

They look cool, but for full-contact fighting like Dagorhir, they're not feasible.

Partysan
2011-03-03, 11:37 AM
At least from the looks of it they're probably disgustingly light. I hate it when LARP weapons are too light.

Necro_EX
2011-03-03, 12:17 PM
You'd hate Amtgard, then Partysan. D:

Yeah, I don't know any LARP they'd be usable in. They just don't have enough padding for most, I'd imagine.

Obrysii
2011-03-03, 12:21 PM

We used freshly-dropped branches, the ones still wet and thus flexible (not prone to smashing). After a few days of fighting the branches would be battle-hardened - stiff but not prone to snapping. Those things were insanely strong.

We broke a metal broom handle with one - the stick wasn't even phased, and it only took 10 - 20 hits to break the metal handle.

Good times - nowadays I'd much rather have a nerf sword...

Necro_EX
2011-03-03, 12:37 PM
We used freshly-dropped branches, the ones still wet and thus flexible (not prone to smashing). After a few days of fighting the branches would be battle-hardened - stiff but not prone to snapping. Those things were insanely strong.

We broke a metal broom handle with one - the stick wasn't even phased, and it only took 10 - 20 hits to break the metal handle.

Good times - nowadays I'd much rather have a nerf sword...

A group of friends and I would do that some time back.
We had some bokken, too.

We would even get some real big ones to use as staves/spears, and made some ****ty shields from plywood and old belts. In retrospect, that was some pretty stupid stuff we were doing. I nearly got my neck punctured, I stabbed a friend in the chest, we'd have busted knuckles constantly.\

Heh...it got real stupid when we found the jetbow.
Ever been shot with a flat-tip arrow? Not fun the first time or the second. D:

Telonius
2011-03-03, 01:34 PM
Our most important rule: no ironwood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Hornbeam). I've seen metal poles bent by that stuff.

BizzaroStormy
2011-03-03, 01:39 PM
Yeah, not padded enough for most LARP groups and too padded for us ECS (shinai and steel swords) types. Still fun to play with though.

As for weight, they're actually pretty good on that. The balance is crap but the weight is fairly close on the swords. A bit of metal added to the pommel would fix the balance issue.

Fawkes
2011-03-03, 05:06 PM

Because the last thing you want when larping is to look silly.

Calmar
2011-03-03, 07:18 PM
While I agree that there are many LARPers, like the infamous Lightning Bolt Nerd who are ridiculous, there are also many admittedly awesome outfits. Especially the Warhammer fantasy LARPers seem to take great care about accuracy:

http://www.mikkelrode.dk/krigslive4/teaser/krigslive4_pics9.jpg

http://www.brueckenkopf-online.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/ek_sigmarpriester02.jpg

And there are many more awesome examples on the web.

Orzel
2011-03-03, 07:27 PM
N Force swords are banned in my family cause they always end up being used to wake me up and start my morning rage.

Shyftir
2011-03-03, 08:07 PM
In anything like a full contact LARP or MRS (Medieval Recreation Sport) those things would sting like a mother.

Eldan
2011-03-04, 03:47 AM
More proof that Warhammer players have too much money.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-04, 03:53 AM
It's not real LARPing without fake pointy ears, face paint, horrible costumes, and materials used for plumbing.

Spiryt
2011-03-04, 04:19 AM
More proof that Warhammer players have too much money.

Seriously, that's crazy. With all that investment, armor and clothes, they could have as well reenact 15th or 16th century infantry.

They certainly love their Warhammer. :smalleek:

Eldan
2011-03-04, 04:51 AM
Well, it basically is 16th century infantry. So, they could use the same equipment to go re-enacting.

Spiryt
2011-03-04, 05:11 AM
Well, it basically is 16th century infantry. So, they could use the same equipment to go re-enacting.

Depends on the level of accuracy, but really it isn't, there's many fantasy elements here, nothing that can't be fixed fairly easily though.

The most obvious is foam/whatever weaponry obviously.

Eldan
2011-03-04, 05:23 AM
Oh, sure. I'm mainly talking about Warhammer state troops, though, which are basically identical to their real world counterparts.

onasuma
2011-03-04, 06:40 AM
I'm pretty sure leadbelchers were used by England right up until The American War of Independance. It was the only way to keep Americas dragons in line.

Eldan
2011-03-04, 06:44 AM
The dragons weren't really a problem. It's the Hydras. Luckily, the English could stick banners of eternal flame on their swordmasters and white lions.

grimbold
2011-03-04, 11:08 AM

Here Here!
but really Nerf Guns work for LARPing when you dont have a lot of money
i used to do that with my friends, we hung out in the woods for hours LARPing
yes i was the nerdy child