PDA

View Full Version : 4E - Cavalier help

Jaidu
2011-03-02, 02:50 PM
I've been playing a dragonborn cavalier in a campaign, and we are leveling up to 10. I'm very happy with my survivability, secondary leader role, and general fun of riding a giant tiger into battle, but I've noticed that my punishment for enemies disobeying my aura is pretty minimal. Is there any way to improve this, or is it just a weakness of the cavalier as a defender?

Also, if I select powers that impose "your divine sanction," do they have any effect since cavaliers don't have divine sanction as a normal class feature like normal paladins, or do they impose it as paladins would?

Thanks for any help!

OracleofWuffing
2011-03-02, 03:39 PM
I'm afraid I don't have any clue about the first question, however...

Divine Sanctions aren't explicitly a class feature of Paladins, if I recall correctly, so I believe you'd just use a Divine Sanction as normal.

In Divine Power, and I've not checked this for errata or whatnot, a target subject to your Divine Sanction is marked by you for the given duration, and takes 3+Cha (increasing in tier) damage the first time they attack anyone not you. It doesn't use or require any pally features, so I don't see why you should have any trouble using it. That said, you might get a more confident response at the Simple Q&A by RAW (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123432) topic, at least as far as Divine Sanctions go.

Kurald Galain
2011-03-02, 04:13 PM
Is there any way to improve this, or is it just a weakness of the cavalier as a defender?
Well, some defenders are simply much "stickier" than others. At level 11, you may be able to find a good paragon path or feat that helps.

Hzurr
2011-03-02, 04:27 PM
Actually, yeah, you can definitely use "Divine Sanction"

Divine Sanction is something that was added on in Divine Power so the Paladin's would have an extra effect that would complement their normal marking ability (which was pretty weak).

Divine sanction isn't a class feature. You get it just by taking the powers that allow you to have it.

Jaidu
2011-03-02, 05:45 PM
Thanks a lot. I think I'm going to look into adding some divine sanctioning to improve my stickiness and better protect my allies.

MeeposFire
2011-03-02, 09:26 PM
It will be hard to add divine sanction powers if you are a cavalier as you can only choose your daily powers. There are a few but that is limiting.

Here is a guide to cavaliers if you want some more help.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26223417/Holy_Riders:_The_Cavaliers_Guide

Nu
2011-03-02, 10:13 PM
It will be hard to add divine sanction powers if you are a cavalier as you can only choose your daily powers. There are a few but that is limiting.

Here is a guide to cavaliers if you want some more help.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/26223417/Holy_Riders:_The_Cavaliers_Guide

You lose the level 2 Utility, but you can still choose the other utility powers. For your level 6 utility, you could select the level 2 utility that applies a mass sanction.

And don't forget to take the draconic challenge feat, because using your dragon breath to mass-sanction is basically one of the reasons to play a dragonborn paladin.

MeeposFire
2011-03-02, 10:20 PM
You can choose your utilities but how many can you use for sanction (I thought that attack powers tended to have the sanctions)? I can no longer check as I lost my access to the compendium. As for that feat that would be an excellent way to add an encounter sanction.

Nu
2011-03-02, 10:25 PM
You can choose your utilities but how many can you use for sanction (I thought that attack powers tended to have the sanctions)? I can no longer check as I lost my access to the compendium. As for that feat that would be an excellent way to add an encounter sanction.

I don't know of many, but off the top of my head the Call of Challenge level 2 utility allows you to sanction everything in a close burst 3 once per encounter.

Doing a little reading, that seems to be the only good one available levels 1-10.