PDA

View Full Version : The Lesser of Two Evils

Fouredged Sword
2011-03-02, 04:34 PM
Here we have a Game thread. Long live the game thread.

Fouredged Sword
2011-03-15, 03:35 PM
The city of New York is a hard place to live. So many people cramed into so little space. If you don't have it your stuck somewhere unpleasent. and you know that you don't have it.

So you live in Medow Springs Aprtment complex. Notabley lacking ether medows or springs. It's a metahuman friendly houseing complex in just on the bad side of downtown. You have just moved into a new flat, one that you have to share with three other people you don't know.

The flat is reasonably big, with a kitchen/living room combination, four bedrooms and four baths. It looks like a bunch of college houseing refurbished for general population. But, that said, it's cheep. Plus it's nice to have a comunity that you can let your hair down in and not worry about playing "human".

Who shows up first?

(please state a brief blipit about what your character looks like at the moment when you post about entering so everyone is on the same page as far as looks go. First reactions are the most powerful after all.)

DaedalusMkV
2011-03-15, 09:58 PM
Sean is the first to arrive, no doubt a result of his depressingly empty calendar. He's dressed in a pair of worn, faded jeans and a black Jurassic Park T-shirt. His dark blonde hair is long and ragged and was rather obviously last cut by an amateur, which adds to the Ex-Superhero's shabby appearance, though a close look reveals that his skin and hair are remarkably clean and his eyes are a brilliant blue. He doesn't have much to move into the new appartment; a suitcase of clothing, mostly as worn out as what he's wearing now, a few boxes of more solid belongings, largely made up of books, and a duffel bag of "Work-out clothes". The only thing that clashes with his destitute image is a new, shiny coffeee machine and a truly impressive supply of coffee to go with it.

After spending a short time unpacking and settling in to his new home, Sean sits down on the couch with a thick book simply titled "Quantum Gravity", before remarking to himself, "Well, seems pretty nice so far. Roomier than my old place, and cheaper too. Ah, the wonders of living in a dangerous Ghetto... Wonder what the other tenants are like? Well, I'm sure it won't be too long." With that, he opens up the book and sets to reading.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-03-15, 11:50 PM
Wonder what the other tenants are like? Well, I'm sure it won't be too long."[/COLOR]

Cue a redhead walking in. He is dressed in rather tattered pants, they looked like they were once of rather good make but had been ripped and repaired many times. His t-shirt was a black one with the image of a flame imbossed onto it.
Despite his tattered appearance his was a regal bearing. He looked around his new home.
"Oh good. This is better than my last home. Thank god Captain Hero was too busy to stop a robbery. *sigh* I hope my father never sees me like this. I'm disgracing my heritage."
As he swept into the room the temperature heats up a few degrees.
He notices his new room-mate.
"Hey, I'm Eric Lemental, well not really but your kind can't pronounce my real name. You must be one of my new room-mates. By the way, if a Hero or the cops come looking for the Elemental Prince or a french guy with the last name Lemental, I'm not here."
DM: I don't know any actual IG Heroes so I just used Captain Hero. That could be an actual Super or just a derogatory insult at his nemesis (whoever THAT is)

Codemus
2011-03-16, 12:57 AM
Almost ten minuets later the door is kicked open and in walks an unusual sight. Standing in the doorway was a skeleton wearing purple sweat pants, a yellow Hawaiian shirt, sandals, and somehow a pair of sunglasses. He was carrying a duffle bag and had a backpack on, one of those classy affairs with only one strap that runs from shoulder to the opposite hip, whatever it’s called.

He looked at the guy on the couch then over to the other guy. “Damn. And here I was hoping I’d be sharing the apartment with hot chicks.” His jaw moved as he spoke, but it only produced a quiet *clack clack* noise. It wasn’t obvious how he was speaking, or even moving around at all.

He stepped into the room and looked around for adjacent rooms, then turned to the other guys. “Dibs on the biggest room!” Now that he was closer, you could see the quarter sized hole in the side of his skull, a spider web of cracks branching out from it in all directions.

Brontes
2011-03-16, 05:32 PM
Another person walks into the room, another red head wearing a stitched up leather jacket, a gray T-shirt, faded blue jeans, and tough looking work boots. He's not the tallest of the four, but he appears a lot burlier than a few of them. A pair of goggles cover his eyes.

He also carries a backpack on him, and in his arms is a large cardboard box. He tries to step carefully into the apartment, but one can still feel a slight thud from the floor and ambient furniture.

He looks at the others a moment, "I just need to put my things somewhere, and then I guess we can introduce ourselves. Or not if that's your preference."

DragonOfUndeath
2011-03-17, 04:00 AM
“Damn. And here I was hoping I’d be sharing the apartment with hot chicks.” His jaw moved as he spoke, but it only produced a quiet *clack clack* noise. It wasn’t obvious how he was speaking, or even moving around at all.

"Nah, I tried that once, didn't work out well. I think you have to be rich for it to work."
he jumped over the couch and fell backwards onto it, perfectly coordinated.
"In other news, being tossed out a window hurts less than it looks.'

DaedalusMkV
2011-03-17, 03:28 PM
Sean double-takes at the almost insane candor of the redheaded "frenchman", and is clearly flabberghasted by the walking, talking skeleton, dropping his book on the couch. After everyone's settled in, he seems to recover a bit and introduces himself, holding his hand out to each of the new room-mates in turn. Those who shake back might notice a slight sensation of wrongness, like the hand is a little bit bigger and harder than it looks. "Well it's, er, nice to meet you all. I'm Sean Danson, and I used to be a university student before my life went all to hell. I spent a little bit of time in the hero business," he says quickly, clearly speeding up his speech to get through this part quickly. Must have something to do with the room full of obvious supervillains. "but I'm done with that now. The pay's crap and there's no benefits. Don't suppose any of you guys know of a good job out there? My bank account could use some reinforcing." He smiles a bit at his feeble joke, then looks expectantly at the others.

Fouredged Sword
2011-03-17, 03:33 PM
Eric Lemental
- There has been a bank job you have been batting around in your head for a few weeks. Up to you if and when you trust these guys enough to go into buisness with them.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-03-17, 04:30 PM
"You were a hero? So you would know all about defending banks right? If you were a hero how would you defend against a team of bank robbers? And how would a team be ableto get around that?"

DaedalusMkV
2011-03-17, 05:01 PM
"Banks? Well, I'm not exactly a security guard, really, and my general MO was ratcheting up the G-force to pin them down, then grab the cops and arrest everyone who looked suspicious. But breaking in..." Sean pauses for a moment, thinking, "That's something I think I could do. Dropping a dozen Gs on everyone in the building would keep the Rent-A-Cops down, and keep any Good Samaritans in the crowd from trying to interfere. I can probably stand-off the cops, too. If we've got someone capable of cracking the Vault, I bet we could pull it off."

Brontes
2011-03-17, 05:43 PM
"Wow, not even a day in and everyone wants to do something," Max grumbles slightly, "I've got some skill at cracking stuff, but I don't think I've done a bank vault before. Usually I'd just run interference against security and heavy hitters."

He picks a room at random and places his stuff inside before coming back.

"I'm Max, by the way. If I'm going to work for you, I'd like to establish some ground rules. Not many mind you: I always introduce myself, my cell phone will not be used for illegal purposes, and sometimes I do part-time, legitimate work on top of my current employment, I'd like to keep that separate from my underworld activities."

DragonOfUndeath
2011-03-17, 09:45 PM
"Right. I have this plan I've been kicking around for a few weeks. It involves the Bank down on Freedom Street. I'll write up the details. It should get us quite a windfall."

Codemus
2011-03-18, 12:39 AM
"Whoa, now hold up!" Steve whirled around to face the others, casually tossing his duffle bag behind him. “Now I’m all for this. I mean, this is gonna be fun! WHOOO, yeah! But my point is… uh… I think I lost it. Yeah, lets do this!” He walked over to the window and looked out. “So when do we do this thing?"

DragonOfUndeath
2011-03-18, 01:54 AM
"A day to write it up, 3 to stake-out and another day to prepare and update plans, 5 days roughly."
He pulled a pen and scrap of paper from his pocket and started writing.
"Oh, can someone remind me to buy some paper."

DaedalusMkV
2011-03-18, 02:22 AM
Wow, am I actually doing this? Robbing a bank... Well, we'll probably fail, given how my career as a Super's gone so far. Still... It'll serve them right, and I need the money. When Lemental asks about paper, Sean jumps up. "Paper I can do. I still have all the leftover school supplies you could want. Paper, lined and unlined, pens, pencils, you name it. One of my calculators even still works. Just give me a sec..." With that, he wanders over to his room, grabs a box and comes back out, handing a couple of sheets of paper to his new... Colleague. "Hmm. You need any help on calculations, just tell me. I'm pretty good at physics, I can probably whip you up the numpers fairly well." With that he starts pacing nervously, clearly not used to this sort of thing.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-03-18, 02:50 AM
I spent most of my life learning how to lead invasions and the logistics involved. I can probably do this. Though can you look over it when I'm done, I have a tendency to make assumptions."
He takes the offered things and sits down to get to work.

Rough plan before more details are known:
Have Sean, Max and The Elemental Prince go into bank. Disable the guards with Seans G-force powers, freeze the cameras and sensors with Cold Control and Max can take out the bank vault door. The skeleton can be the getaway driver. Steal a non-descript car to take us out to a nearby carpark. Abandon the car and take my car back to the apartment.
Dump any bags the money came in, in a dumpster near the carpark and contact a money launderer.

Fouredged Sword
2011-03-18, 11:30 AM
Knowledge Technology DC 10
electronics oftine function in very cold without problem. Heat can shut some stuff down though.
DC 15
The camera's are likely not mounted rugged enough to survive high g forces ether, but unless Sean wants to risk pulling the roof down he can't just hit everything.

Brontes
2011-03-18, 07:58 PM
"Invasions?" Max looks concerned for a moment, looks around him, and then shrugs it off, "Okay. Anyway, I can probably get us in contact with a launderer after the deed is done."

He looks over the plans that Eric had drawn up, "I don't know about you guys, but I've got a decent jump distance on me. Once we've got the money in the car, a few of us could split up to divert attention from the getaway. Of course we'd have to set up a place to meet ahead of time. Thoughts?"

DaedalusMkV
2011-03-18, 08:43 PM
Sean doesn't even notice the mention of invasions. He's pretty agitated, continuing to pace around the room.
"Yeah, jumping's something of a specialty of mine. I can clear a 6-storey building, no prob. I can fly too... Sorta. I can bring people with me, too... But that's not a good plan. That's plan F." He grimaces in memory of the last time he tried that. "Um. If a distraction's what you need, I can do that. Cars find it kind of hard to drive when they're floating a couple feet in the air, you know?"

DragonOfUndeath
2011-03-18, 09:19 PM
"Great. So we have the basics down, guards disabled, bank opened, getaway planned, now we need to get layouts of the bank and guard shifts. I'll go down later and open an account as well as scout out guard positions and things."

Wouldn't I know automatically if heat or cold would disable electronics? considering I would use it in every crime I should have a fairly good understanding of it.

Fouredged Sword
2011-03-19, 07:08 AM
You can just make a DC 10 int check. That is fairly automatic. I figgure somebody in the group can make a dc 10 int check.

Fouredged Sword
2011-04-04, 11:13 AM
The West Center Bank of New York, New York is a middle sized bank close, but not too close to your homes. Event scopes out the place, and sees the lay of the land. The building is open only on ine side, the other sides are buildings that look to be offices. There is an open area where all the tellers handles customers and a few offices for more detailed transactions. There where 5 guards and 17 cameras when Event was in the building. The guards are all stationed to see in all directions from standing locations, and the cameras are static shots covering every angle of the room. 5 of the Cameras are covering the street and door.

Benind the teller counter, and to the left there is a stairwell that looks like a enterence to the vault area.

DaedalusMkV
2011-04-04, 01:19 PM
Event Horizon leads the group as they head into the bank. As he gets to the doors, he releases a devestating Gravatic Blast to smash the doors off their hinges, then casually walks through the wreckage. He's dressed in the same costume he wore as a hero, carefully arranged so that his face is completely obscured by his goggles and balaclava, and the hood on his black and white hoodie is up, further obscuring his figure. "Everybody down! Let's all keep nice and still, and nobody needs to get hurt..." To... Reinforce his demand, he massively increases the force of gravity on everyone in the bank, more than quintupling their weights as a result. He hefts his baseball bat and starts walking to each of the security guards to relieve them of their weapons. If anyone starts to struggle, he'll run there and give them a light tap on the head with his baseball bat. "Just keep calm, everybody. We're just going to be in and out, so all you have to do is lie down for a few minutes."

Activating Gravity Control blanketing the bank. Anyone without an effective Strength of 50 for carrying capacity is now glued to the floor and subject to all of the disadvantages of the Power. Wreckage and Lemental are, of course, exempted from this effect. Unless it would be particularly funny for Horizon to temporarily screw up...

DragonOfUndeath
2011-04-04, 09:03 PM
The Elemental Prince is wearing a suit that appears to be made entirely of Fire, the clothes he had been wearing prior to entering the bank having combusted as he walked in. He was completely covered, not a scrap of skin or cloth could be seen through the flames
"Spoilsport, can't we hurt one? please?" The Prince jokes, pretending to light a guy on fire (it just singed his clothes a little).
The Prince aims a blast at each camera, freezing their joints so they were stuck recording a wall or their lens were clouded over with ice.
"To the vault!"

Fouredged Sword
2011-04-05, 11:32 AM
And you just set off the alarms. Can't post right now, but will tonight.

Fouredged Sword
2011-04-08, 03:51 PM
Sorry for the delay.

Event walks in to the bank and everyone drops to the ground. Following right after The Elemental Prince follows after and frosts over the lenses of the cameras. (as they are already fixed in place)

The alarms go off with a loud buzzing sound. A large round grate drops over the stairway down into the basement. The guards are all on the ground, unable to move.

Everyone else?

Brontes
2011-04-09, 06:48 PM
"Yeesh, couldn't have waited until after I got into the basement, huh?

Max walks toward the stairs, wearing an undershirt instead of his usual T. His form appears slightly taller and thicker, his skin no longer visible as he sheathes himself into his dark-gray carapace. Dark red lines network themselves throughout his new form. He grimaces slightly, placing his hand against his ear. An odd tinny sound underlies that of the alarm.

"I was hoping that would go away," he frowns, "Oh well, now's not the time to worry about my health."

He walks up to the grate that is between them and the vault, "Better get this out of the way."

I'm just going to post two move actions (Transform, move toward grate). And post my break in attempt later.

Brontes
2011-04-18, 06:02 PM
"Hmm, I guess I could try to lift it or smash it. Let's start with smashing and work our way from there. Maybe one of you guys would like to lend a hand. If nothing else fire or gravity might weaken it."

Alloy-laced muscles stretch and compress as Max pulls an arm back, ready to strike against the grate. A moment later and his fist rockets toward the grate as hard as possible.

The agreed upon limit for Power Attack was either +/-3 or +/- 1/2 PL. Either way I'll try dropping my Attack Bonus by 3 to raise my saving throw by 3.