PDA

View Full Version : Anyway for PC's to create monsters in game?

Aemoh87
2011-03-02, 04:45 PM
I am posting a couple of threads now because my evil plans are finally coming together but I have a few last questions before I am finished. I am giving each question a dedicated thread because some of them will attract more attention than others and I want to keep it simple.

The 4 questions concern: Optimizing Nimblewrights (and things that optimize constructs in general), Reducing XP costs when creating magic items (I already am using Legendary Artisan and Extract Demonic Essence feats), tips and tricks for safe summoning (I don't want my wizard cohort to die), and finally is there any way for a PC to create custom Demons in game. All the questions need WotC info only except the last.

I really want to build a custom Demon, but I was wondering if there was any rules to support this as something I could do in game. I would be willing to use 3rd party stuff here. My DM is very familiar with monster creation rules and uses alot of custom monsters himself so balance isn't an issue, I was just wondering if there were any processes to go threw to do it. Or if my DM needs to create the rules himself.

Gavinfoxx
2011-03-02, 07:01 PM
Well, I can help you with the Nimblewright thing... here:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=177.0

That, combined with PLAYING AN ARTIFICER, and the other thread about the crafting cost reduction thing, can get you fairly customizable guys. Also look into playing a Shaper, those are pretty fun.

Analytica
2011-03-02, 09:36 PM
There is an epic spell that creates a custom demon race in the SRD, at the very least.

LOTRfan
2011-03-02, 09:40 PM
There is an epic spell that creates a custom demon race in the SRD, at the very least.

I thought that just made Achaierai, though.

Aemoh87
2011-03-02, 09:44 PM
This could work since I have said magic forge which I am already planning to use for an artifact that mimics the Genesis truenamer spell (without the truename checks). Do you know the Spells name and what book it's in?

Idc what it makes really, I need a presidence for my DM so I can show him how the system should look.

Analytica
2011-03-02, 10:12 PM
I thought that just made Achaierai, though.

Since all epic spells are custom built, that means you can make one for any race you can dream up.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-03-02, 10:14 PM
Isn't there a whole book about custom-creating species? I can't remember the name though.

Turk
2011-03-02, 10:52 PM
Reducing XP costs when creating magic items (I already am using Legendary Artisan and Extract Demonic Essence feats)

Take a look at this.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7274.0

Aemoh87
2011-03-02, 10:53 PM
The key is I am trying to do it as a PC, not the DM. So I need a way to do it.

Callos_DeTerran
2011-03-03, 12:28 AM
The Conan RPG Secrets/Scroll of Skelos had rules for creating new species (pre-epic at least) that could be adapted to regular 3.5. Fair warning though, using those rules you can create it, but there's a good chance (and steadily growing one at that) that it'll turn crazy and want to kill everything around it.

Aemoh87
2011-03-03, 12:31 AM
Yeah the Epic spell thing looks like the solution. Hopefully my DM lets me pull this off, since I am making my own plane I want to populate it with my own demons... and hopefully they don't kill me!

Gnoman
2011-03-03, 07:45 AM
You could try the Mongoose book Encyclopedia Arcane: Crossbreeeding.

joe
2011-03-04, 07:16 AM
Though it's pretty cheese, one way you can build your custom monster would be to build it as an effigy from Complete Arcane. Effigies are based on Hit Dice rather than CR, so you can apply some interesting templates that would change your monster physically, and add nothing to the build cost. The downside is, there is no way to give them special abilities of monsters (though I'm sure you could figure out a way around this via magic items)

Templates that would be useful before an effigy temple could include...
The Winged Template.
The Multi-headed Template.
The Tauric Template.
(All 3 found in Savage Species.)

With these you can create an effigy of any horror you can imagine. I personally would leave it at that, though if you want the thing to be alive afterward, you can give it the Incarnate Construct template with the spell of the same name. The thing would technically be a giant, but I'm sure given demon parts in the template above, it would be pretty demonic seeming anyway.

Again it's pretty cheese to use a template to make a construct and another to unmake it as a construct, but as a PC, it's the best way I can think of making a custom monster without the use of epic spells.

Radar
2011-03-04, 10:26 AM
There is also a slower method: breeding, grafting and some more breeding. It was shown to be immensly effective in creating night-invulnerable army of minions. See Emerald Legion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101587).

Aemoh87
2011-03-04, 11:41 AM
All very cool and I will look into it.

I want to create 3 demons each representing an aspect of the spoils you can gain from war.

I am currently making some Alu-Demon Nymphs for one.

The second needs to reflect power and have a minotaur theme.
And the final needs to reflect treasure.

The Tygre
2011-03-04, 03:13 PM
You could try the Mongoose book Encyclopedia Arcane: Crossbreeeding.

YES. Boom. Seconded. This **** right here. This is the way to go. It might take a little conversion (I can't remember if it was 3.0 or 3.5), but trust me when I tell you it has the most comprehensive in-game monster creation rules I've ever seen.

Just remember to keep your snake-toad in its cage when you've moved on to bigger and better things. They are technically an invasive species. :smallbiggrin: