PDA

View Full Version : Mobs and Grappling?

Angry Bob
2011-03-02, 06:22 PM
In the DMG II, there's stats for the mob template, a large group of creatures tracked as one creature. One of the main things I noticed is their absurd grapple modifier, but they aren't allowed to use attacks that require actions. Surely, with such an enormous modifier combined with the expert grappler ability, the designers didn't leave out a way to actually start a grapple? Or am I missing something?

Angry Bob
2011-03-02, 10:15 PM
So does no one know or is the answer so obvious no one's bothering?

Andraste
2011-03-02, 10:27 PM
How do they do anything if they can't do actions?

Angry Bob
2011-03-02, 10:28 PM
They can't use attacks that require actions. Breath weapons, etc. They can still do other things, like move. They have a melee called "mob" which is like swarm: It automatically does damage to anything in its space at the and of its turn.

Andraste
2011-03-02, 10:48 PM
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the template, so I don't know. It seems that they would be able to use it defensively though, if someone else grapples them.

Angry Bob
2011-03-02, 11:29 PM
I can think of no reason for a PC to try to grapple a mob, metagaming or no.

ericgrau
2011-03-02, 11:52 PM
Can they make single attacks? Because grappling is an attack action not a standard action if that helps.

Otherwise maybe they have a special ability that starts a grapple when they move onto someone?

Angry Bob
2011-03-02, 11:58 PM
Possibly answered:

Reread it, apparently the individual creatures comprising the mob can't use attacks that require actions, but the mob itself has no such restriction. This makes more sense. Can someone confirm for me that this is indeed how it works? I'm assuming now that if the mob itself attacks, it uses the base creature's natural weapon or unarmed strike, with damage adjusted for its size.

Major
2011-03-03, 12:14 AM
Mind quoting the exact reading?

I'd say from what I recall you are correct. The mob has no limitations, but each individual is restricted. But without the book at hand I'm not positive without reading it.

Keld Denar
2011-03-03, 12:16 AM
The DMGII rules for mobs are needlessly complicated. Use Oslecamo's rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129179). They are less confusing.