PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help Me Freeze My PCs!

Dralnu
2011-03-02, 06:34 PM
Last time you guys helped me come up with ideas for my Underdark Forest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178572). That session was easily the best designed encounters I've ever ran and the result was fantastic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188894).

Next session, my players must brave the arctic lands of Wymstoke Mountains. The level 8 party consists of a warblade, scout, assassin, and favored soul. Nothing has really brought them to the brink of death yet and they're getting a bit too cocky, so I'd like to up the ante once more.

What fun things can I throw at them in an arctic wasteland with dangerous snowstorms, caves, mountains, etc.?

aquaticrna
2011-03-02, 07:14 PM
frost worm... depending on their optimization level could be a reasonable but challenging fight... then when you win it explodes for 12d6!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-03-02, 07:34 PM
Yetis are in Frostburn. There are the standard Yetis at CR 3 (large), and Abominable Yetis at CR 7 (huge). You could use the standard yetis for children, which playfully throw snowballs at the PCs, and if attacked the abominable parents show up with class levels. One could be a Hulking Hurler, and the other a Cleric who casts Obscuring Snow. They could use the spell for cover and throw rocks trying to get the PCs to leave.

Frostburn also has a Smilodon or Saber-Toothed Tiger listed among the dire animals. At CR 5 you could have three or four of them ambush the PCs. They wouldn't fight to the death, if one gets below 50% HP it should run and the rest should follow suit. The PCs could chase after them vindictively, or just continue on their path.

They could also run into a Druid or Druidic Avenger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druidVariantDruidicAve nger) who Wild Shapes into a Smilodon, with his attitude depending on their actions thus far. He should definitely use the spell Call Avalanche in Frostburn, it completely screws anyone it hits.

There's the Frost Salamander in MM2, the Update Booklet (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a) adds Stealthy and Blind-Fight and gives it DR 10/Magic. I wouldn't recommend advancing their HD since it would increase their size, and they're a stealthy creature. Maybe give it the elite array for a higher Str score, or possibly a level or two of Rogue or Swordsage (Assassin's Stance and Tiger Claw maneuvers). If it catches them standing on ice they'll be considered flat-footed unless they have 5+ ranks in Balance, as per the Balance skill. Give it a name and personality, it should be an established figure who locals try to avoid.

You can't go wrong with a good ol' fe-fi-fo-fum Frost Giant.

Frost Folk are also in Frostburn, they could be the local indigenous village where the PCs can rest and resupply or they can be aggressive barbarians determined to take whatever they want. Figure out some sort of ecosystem and decide every creature's relationship with one another. There could be a Winterspawn (also in Frostburn) warlord with a growing legion of undead who the Frost Folk are fighting with. Frostburn also has Neanderthals, which could be another local community who may be fighting with either of the above. The Druidic Avenger above should be trying to protect the lands and its inhabitants from destructive forces, such as the undead army and greedy adventurers. Maybe the Frost Giant is the only one left in this area, and the Frost Salamander wants to eat him because it's never tried that dish before but it can't beat him on its own. Maybe the Yetis are artists, making cave drawings and elaborate ice sculptures. Give the place some personality, make it something they'll remember.

Dralnu
2011-03-04, 04:48 PM
Worms (wyrms? wurms?) have a special spot in my heart so I absolutely want to run a frost worm here. The death throes looks pretty absurd though, 20d6 damage? Do scouts get Evasion?

Yetis look great. My group is evil and rather chaotic so they'll likely start a fight. On the flipside, that's an annoying side of a chaotic evil party -- I don't even bother with detailed cities because they inevitably just flip out and kill everyone. I'm not sure how to properly engage them with civilization.

Druid, Frost Giants, Frost Salamander, all great idea thanks! The dire animals may struggle to be a challenge though. Maybe be just there for fluff. My party took out a pack of 4 advanced shadow mastiffs (6HD for spring attack) in their optimal environment without too much trouble, I don't think anything less would be even worth throwing at them.