PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice about campaign troubles

Voldecanter
2011-03-02, 08:02 PM
------------

jiriku
2011-03-03, 12:41 AM
You are basically hosed if you attempt any sort of direct action. You will need a trick. I recommend the following:

1. Use enchant item+permanency+other spells as appropriate to create the most convincing fake holy relic you can. Hide the real one really really well.

2. Send forward most of your forces, led by at least one PC (not the cleric) to confront the enemy.

3. They will die horribly. Send a messenger to the mighty wizard's forces telling him that you are awed by his awesome power and see that you can't possibly oppose him. Offer to give him the (fake) holy artifact and join his side. Flatter his ego. Offer to be his sidekick or wash his car for him.

4. Cleric joins the service of the mighty wizard. If the falsehood of the fake artifact is discovered, claim to have been suckered by one of the many powerful enemy mages who dislike you.

5. When the chance presents itself, (be willing to wait a long time to prove your "loyalty" and gain trust), take the real holy artifact to the temple. Raise fallen friends from the dead. Celebrate.

Vknight
2011-03-03, 12:52 AM
That or send the peasants in with Explosive Runes written on them along with other triggers. Send them near the Ogres begging forgiveness for there sin then have them read a line of poetry written on there arm.

BOOM! BOOM!

Use tactics, gurellia warfare secretly draw the item in along with several fakes. Keep the party together and have them attack and free slaves become robin hoods basically get a slave revolt going. Even a wizard can't stop all of them. Especially when the Ogres realize they'll be forced into the same poisition unless they A) Kill you guys which no ones has seen or survived against, B) Turn against there master, C) Kill enough humans that is stops it but not forcing them to pick up the slack.

Thorcrest
2011-03-03, 12:51 PM
I'll add some info here since I am the Cleric (who is Level 11 now, by the way! :smallbiggrin:).

Alright, I am the commander of our "army", and I have a very strict code of action to follow based on both the church, alignment, race, and a personal sense of righteousness, so that takes the make peasant bombs out of the equation. Our Force consisted of:

200 Elven "Super Archers"
500 Dismounted Knights (read: Armoured Swordsmen)
200 Paladins
100 Peasants, armed with bone spears.
65 Spearmen
30 Other Peasants
12 Clerics (2 Level 5, 2 Level 16, 8 Level 10)
8 Wizards (3 Level 7, 1 Level 3, 1 Level 21, 1 Level 23, 1 Level 16, 1 Level 9)
2 Gatling Guns, however, they have no crew and no one who can train crew. :smallfurious:
A few other token NPCs.

We have one town aligned to us that has an army of about 400 men defending it, split between horsemen and swordsmen.

Another Army comprised of humans marched to go face the Forces of Darkness, they had about 1500 men.

As of last session, the town to whom we were allied was assaulted, and, since our army was nearby, both of our forces are under siege. As the party was in the town when it was attacked, and we got out to get to command the army. Being both the Commander and having to follow my strict code, I refuse to allow the people to be slaughtered. A message from my God also said that should this country fall, we will fail (note, this is the last town that stands, but we could raise the flag in another town possibly... if we get there in time).

In the first night of battle, we took several hundred losses and the enemy took about 1500-2000 losses, 300 Draconian, the rest Ogres. It is worth mentioning that they are led by a cadre of Black Robed Wizards.

Our current forces, compared to the above list are approximately:
150 Elven "Super Archers"
350 Dismounted Knights (read: Armoured Swordsmen)
120 Paladins
20 Peasants, armed with bone spears.
10 Spearmen
10 Other Peasants
12 Clerics (2 Level 5, 2 Level 16, 8 Level 10)
8 Wizards (3 Level 7, 1 Level 3, 1 Level 21, 1 Level 23, 1 Level 16, 1 Level 9)
2 Gatling Guns, however, they have no crew and no one who can train crew. :smallfurious:
A few other token NPCs.

Note: We had taken losses prior to this from several attacks by enemy forces which cost us about 200 men, but cost them nearly 1000 losses.

The Town has about 150 Soldiers left, and 4 of our Wizards are trapped there, as well as the engineer we found that we were sobbering up to work the guns. The Town forces have had their Senior command wiped out entirely except for Lord Horseman, their Supreme Commander and only remaining Noble.

The Army that was sent out can only be assumed to have been killed.

We have sent out scouting parties, only one man ever returned severly wounded to report of the massacre. The losses included my Level 15 Paladin "Bodyguard" that was given to me by my god.

We have heard of many small resitance forces which may be helpful to our cause, but will be of no use to our current cause.

We also have a time limit here as our artifact causes winter to form which, given that it is spring, is a give away of our position, as well as causing all kinds of logistics problems.

Hopefully this additional detail will help.

My personal belief is that we can win this Battle, but it will likely be a Pyrrhic Victory and we will then be forced to use a more stealthy approach to get our objectives and use the army for guerilla tactics.

It should also be noted that we are not strictly against this Wizard, but that he does see himself as the regional leader, being the only real influencial person in what is now a wasteland. He does not actually control these lands, or the armies, but they are working together, him providing Wizards, and they providing troops.

It should also be noted that the enemy is suffering from massive logistical problems due to the nature of their occupation. They have mostly pillaged and destroyed all they can get their hands on, and as such are in dismal supply and constantly need to buy food from the Northern areas in by train, we could sever these supply lines, but then it leads to a host of problems afterwards, as well as the need to cross hundreds of miles to get there.

There is also a small neutral faction to the North that should be noted. It is a small town that has recently been claimed by another group of players and is trying to build itself up from ruin, with some decent success so far, from what we have heard. They are not likely to join the conflict on either side, but if they were, they would likely join the enemy as one of their members, their "leader", is an ogre that was a member of our party for a time, but had a falling our with Ellardin's character which has caused some problems for us in the past.

Well there's some more on the situation, if I think of more I'll let you guys know.