PDA

View Full Version : Equipping undead minions <3.5e>

Traja
2011-03-03, 09:06 AM
Hi!
I'm playing a Dread Necromancer in our recent camaign. And my question is: Is there anything in the rules about equipping my minions? Is it possible or does a skeleton just don't know how to swing or even hold a sword? Is it just possible after casting Awaken Undead?

LordBlades
2011-03-03, 09:18 AM
From the SRD

A skeleton retains all the natural weapons, manufactured weapon attacks, and weapon proficiencies of the base creature, except for attacks that can’t work without flesh. A creature with hands gains one claw attack per hand; the skeleton can strike with each of its claw attacks at its full attack bonus. A skeleton’s base attack bonus is equal to ½ its Hit Dice.

So yeah, if the base creature could use swords and such, so can the skeleton.
Not armor sadly, but if you use Armor without any ACP, there's no penalty for not being proficient anyway

Gaius Marius
2011-03-03, 09:23 AM
Not armor sadly, but if you use Armor without any ACP, there's no penalty for not being proficient anyway

Wait. the base CREATURE, not the base character. So a skeleton human soldier couldn't use a sword, since sword proficiency isn't automatically given for humans.

Same thing for Elven skeletons. Do Elves automatically get basic weapon proficiency?

supermonkeyjoe
2011-03-03, 09:28 AM
From the SRD

What armour are they capable of using? SRD states for the undead type:

Proficient with its natural weapons, all simple weapons, and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
Proficient with whatever type of armour (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Undead not indicated as wearing armour are not proficient with armour. Undead are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armour.

Trouble is, skeletons aren't listed as wearing any armour. Human warrior skeletons have heavy steel shields so logically they must be proficient with at least light armour but it isn't stated explicitly anywhere.

the description also states; A skeleton is seldom garbed in anything more than the rotting remnants of any clothing or armour it was wearing when slain.
But again says nothing about proficiencies, is it assumed that the same rules apply to armour as they do to weapons i.e. Proficiency in life = proficiency in death?

big teej
2011-03-03, 09:30 AM
Wait. the base CREATURE, not the base character. So a skeleton human soldier couldn't use a sword, since sword proficiency isn't automatically given for humans.

Same thing for Elven skeletons. Do Elves automatically get basic weapon proficiency?

sounds like an excellent reason to start slaughtering the pointy eared buggers.

Khatoblepas
2011-03-03, 09:37 AM

Wrong. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/skeleton.htm)

The first entry gives the example Human Warrior Skeleton a Scimitar. No nonproficiency penalty for using a martial weapon. Also, proficiency in shields.

It's in the necromancer's best interest to raise the commoner militia, rather than the farmers. If the base creature had nothing but Exotic Weapon Proficiency feats, they'd be proficient in it in death.

LordBlades
2011-03-03, 09:40 AM

Hmm, you might be right by RAW I think(can't find the RAW definition of 'base creature' ATM) . RAI however, I think they meant to include the proficiencies gained from class levels (note the 'human warrior skeleton'; he's identified as 'human warrior skeleton' as opposed to 'human skeleton' and has martial weapon and shield prof, I assume from the warrior class).

supermonkeyjoe
2011-03-03, 09:41 AM
Wrong. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/skeleton.htm)

The first entry gives the example Human Warrior Skeleton a Scimitar. No nonproficiency penalty for using a martial weapon. Also, proficiency in shields.

It's in the necromancer's best interest to raise the commoner militia, rather than the farmers. If the base creature had nothing but Exotic Weapon Proficiency feats, they'd be proficient in it in death.

Actually they wouldn't gain any proficiencies from feats, as per the skeleton entry;

Feats A skeleton loses all feats of the base creature and gains Improved Initiative.

So it would retain all proficiencies from its class levels but not from feats or bonus feats.

Traja
2011-03-03, 09:59 AM
The 'Awaken Undead' spell says that the undead regains all weapon and armor proficiencies it had in life.
Will it work to say, that skeletons and zombies can't wear armor but are capable of using simple weapons. But if i want to get an evil chainfighting half two-headed ogre half dragon (very strange and totaly evil monster!!) i'd have to cast the awaken spell on him? :)

Gaius Marius
2011-03-03, 10:13 AM
The 'Awaken Undead' spell says that the undead regains all weapon and armor proficiencies it had in life.
Will it work to say, that skeletons and zombies can't wear armor but are capable of using simple weapons. But if i want to get an evil chainfighting half two-headed ogre half dragon (very strange and totaly evil monster!!) i'd have to cast the awaken spell on him? :)

Naturally, a human don't even get basic weapon proficiency.

Gullintanni
2011-03-03, 10:13 AM

Correct. A Skeleton retains its racial proficiencies, simple weapons, natural weapons and whatever is in its entry. That's it. Mindless creatures generally don't get feats, with Imp. Init. being a specific exception listed in the Skeleton's entry.

If you want the Skeleton fighting with a spiked chain, then the character you raised would have needed the EWP and you'd have to awaken them, unless the Skeleton is mentioned as using a spiked chain in their MM entry. Elven skeletons, on the other hand, would be proficient with longbows, rapiers, longswords etc... owing to the fact that the base creature, Elf, is naturally proficient with these things.

Thurbane
2011-03-03, 04:47 PM
Another (expensive) way to get mindless undead to use Exotic or other weapon they aren't proficient with is to throw the Skillful enhancement on them (CAr). Automatically grants proficiency in the weapon (and 3/4 BAB).

Coidzor
2011-03-03, 06:13 PM
Or, if they have a bite attack, Mouthpick weapons from Lords of Madness, which also grant proficiency but cost less and leave their claws free if they have 'em.