PDA

View Full Version : The Borderlands IC Thread

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-03, 11:20 AM
You have been assembled in the Capital of Deso and assigned a secret mission. The Emperor has given you strict orders and sworn you to secrecy. You are to find the lost troops, and see if Jatalan has sent any troops into the Borderlands. Attempts to get the Emperor to put a figure on his promised "great reward" were fruitless, but it seems to be a lot of money.

Though you do not know each other (being brought in by various recruiters), you are now tasked to work together. You've decided to meet in one of the antechambers of the Imperial Palace before heading out, to discuss plans. The Borderlands is a three day journey by foot to the West.

Background info

The borderlands between the Sovereign Empire of Jatalan and the Imperial Republic of Dessonen has been a tense place for centuries. The two nations were once part of the greater Horomen Empire, but upon the death of Emperor Charletan the Indomitable, they split from the larger empire (as did many smaller states) and have been natural rivals since. Both claim the other's lands as rightfully theirs, and both claim to be continuations of the Horomen Empire. 127 years ago, the last war between these two powers ended, leaving each side decimated, with millions of cripples, orphans and widows. A ten mile swath of land between them had been so badly fought over, despoiled, and scorched that no people remained in it. As part of the peace accord, no troops or people were allowed to settle there, and it would remain a no-man's land. That is the origin of the borderlands, a desolate waste that in many places is still stained red with the century-old blood.

In Dessonen, rumors have been raised of Jatalan troops entering the Borderlands. These rumors were enough to raise the armies, and send an expedition of their own. Those troops have simply disappeared. War is brewing, and the Imperial Council of Dessonen, and the Emperor himself, have decided that there is little choice. Officially they can do nothing until they suspect more, for breaking a treaty outright is far worse than bending it a little. They have decided to hire mercenaries in secret, to investigate the Borderlands, and find the missing troops.

That is where the party enters. They have been recruited by the Emperor's Spymaster, Lord Humphrey the Round (because he's a very fat man, and the last person you'd expect to be stealthy or a spy), and are bound to secrecy. They must investigate the Borderlands, and try to avert the war that is about to boil over. I will probably have the war/leadup to the war be part of the background of the plot (maybe even allowing the players to participate in it if they would like).

OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10484815#post10484815)

sitandbehitski
2011-03-03, 11:26 AM
Sjach Irthos (Halfling Wizard/Rogue): http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=279670

Background:

Description:
A short average-looking halfling that dresses in tight black clothing with a hood that he can draw up. He has a black headband that keeps his longish hair out of his eyes, an amulet of a shadow dragon around his neck and very fine gloves that are almost like a second skin above his fingers.

Personality:
Quiet and mischievous. Sjach is very cautious but very loyal once you've earned his friendship. He is not heavily influenced by nationalist ideals but more concerned with his personal friends and family and their opinions and well-being.

Contacts/Friends:
Sjach has a very large family from his hometown, growing up in a large halfling clan he was quite the prankster growing up which helped hone his roguish skills. He also had an uncle named Kal who was a retired wizard adventurer who taught him the ways of the arcane.

Although his entire family would take to long to list his immediate family consists of his father Reen, his mother Mel, his brother Ped, and his sister Kin.

Enemies:
Being a neutral rogue has caused Sjach to accumulate a fair bit of enemies over the years, luckily most of them don't realize it's actually Sjach that they're enemies with but one specifically who does is Gortman, a rival Human wizard from a rich family that Sjach stole a lesser Metamagic Rod of Quicken from.

Re'ozul
2011-03-04, 12:13 AM
Standing on her chair so that everyone can actually see her over the impractically high table, Arcania adresses the rest of this ragtag bunch of no-goods.

"So... why do you guys wanna go there? The reward? The excitement? Orders? The reward? Oh I think I already mentioned that one. Or is it something weird like Honor or other such delusions."

She stems her fists into her sides bowing forward in a mock-threatening pose.

"Because if it is, don't you be coming to me with stuff like 'Hurry along' or 'You must' when we're out there. Because I don't have to do anything. No ones commanding this girl around. So play nice and I'll do the same. So, now that we got the groundwork done, why not tell each other at least our names. Mine's Jenna."

I don't think something like a name on first meeting needs a bluff check, does it?

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-04, 12:19 AM
Re'ozul
If they have no reason to disbelieve you, then no.

Torgarn
2011-03-04, 01:02 AM
Khoriel steps forward, My name is Khoriel, trained soldiers have diappeared in those lands. I seek power and whatever has caused there disappearance may be of some use in that regard.

He pauses to consider then continues, I have also yet to experience that part of the world and hope to gain strength by studying the creatures living there. I suppose treasure would be nice and the reward for the task will finance a great number of pleasureful activities.

sitandbehitski
2011-03-04, 09:09 AM
Sjach stands in his chair to make himself visible as well. "Well met Jenna and Khoriel, I'm Sjach. I'm in this for a combination of things, the reward is obviously a factor, but curiosity and the chance to spare my friends and family another war is definitely a factor as well. This land has seen too much war already."

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-04, 01:01 PM
Without getting up from the wall next to the the door, away from any sorces of light, Aest speaks up "Aest, my reasons are my own, now shall we stop wasting time on plesantries and get on with this."

sitandbehitski
2011-03-04, 01:59 PM
"We'll need a plan before we can get on with it," Sjach replies. "Obviously we cannot just enter without having some type of cover for being there. Perhaps we should acquire some type of phony treasure map and pose as treasure hunters in case any Jatalan spies discover us."

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-04, 02:00 PM
Regarding the Borderlands: Technically anyone can enter it except troops of either nation. Most people do not because it is a desolate wasteland with rumors of it being haunted/dangerous/cursed/etc.

sitandbehitski
2011-03-04, 02:06 PM
It would still be a good idea to have some type of predetermined reason for being in the Borderlands in case we stumble across another group of people there, in case they're Jatalan spies (like us).

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-04, 02:18 PM
Aest remains in the corner but replys all the same. "Don't be foolish, if we start carrying around things like treasure maps we're more likly to attract attention because we're treasure hunters. If we run into someone and tell them that, well we're fairly likly to find them pointing weapons at us. Dont underestimate how greedy people are." Raising him self from the wall he begins to walk over, his wolf rising from his sleep. "If we do our jobs well, we won't be found, if not we keep our mouths shut, claiming to be hermits, or refugees or even simple monster hunters. Bits of paper will only make things worse, rely on yourself and we'll get through this. he stops by the table and looks over the group "Besides, from the looks of you all, traveling in the wilds won't be anything new, least of all being seen doing it."

Re'ozul
2011-03-04, 03:47 PM
Looking at the dark figure in the corner and then each of the others in turn, Arcania once more takes the word:

"You know, some of us don't look like the most trustworthy type. So why not be of that type? Pose as exiles, banned from here for whatever crimes we can think of. Make them of the more nebulous type or the one some people might think is okay, stealing from the rich, giving to the poor or maybe questioning the leadership when it comes to stuff like food distribution. Makes the big guys here look bad, might make us more sympathetic to the other side.
The round guy could give us some sorta info to tell our actual status should we meet some of his cronies. That way we'd appear weak enough to not be a threat, but interesting enough to not kill on sight. Just saying."

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-04, 04:21 PM
Aest sighs Whatever works, but shall we discuss how to find these men....rather than a situation that may not arise. We should move to their last location, quickly, if anyone has any way of getting there quickly, more the better

sitandbehitski
2011-03-04, 04:53 PM
"If we know the precise location they were at last I can teleport us all there."

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-04, 05:07 PM
You were given a description of the area, enough to be able to scry on it (to get a better image of the location for more success), to use greater teleport, or to teleport with a 75% chance of success (as if you had seen it once)

sitandbehitski
2011-03-04, 06:04 PM
Sjach will scry the area and then have my greater teleport ready for when we decide to leave. Once Sjach finishes the scry and knows he can get there without any problems he announces to the rest of the group that he can take them there when they're ready.

Torgarn
2011-03-04, 06:23 PM
Krophiel sighs, Do you have a death wish. If someone or something is in those wilds spiriting away soldier's Don't you think a bit of recon would be a good idea, before we sit ourselves right in the pot?

Re'ozul
2011-03-04, 06:42 PM
"If something is *fingerquotes*'spiriting away soldiers' wouldn't it be much more reasonable to assume that IT will expect more people coming in the same way? Further, what makes you think that the ones sent there didn't look around first. I don't think it matters much how we get there. If someone or something did get those soldiers, then they won't be easily found by us either. Why do you think they are sending us instead of more soldiers? We are expendable, and they won't have to pay us if we disappear also, but our disappearance will get them more clues.
It might actually be better if we teleport there, as much as I also don't like the idea of being dependant on someone else's grasp on their abilities. If the people here can't easily follow and watch us our information and wellbeing might be more valuable to them in the end, so we'd be discarded not quite as easily.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-04, 07:08 PM
Sjach

You cast your scrying spell, focusing on the area that was described to you. The area that appears in your mind is very desolate. There are bleached bones of some sort of livestock being pecked at by a few black birds. The ground is gritty dirt that blows freely in the wind, and the sky is blocked out by whirling dust clouds. Any tracks or signs of creatures passing would be obliterated in a few minutes, so finding the soldiers might be harder than initially thought.

If you continue to study the image for the next hour you will have a better chance at teleporting there succesfully.

sitandbehitski
2011-03-04, 07:36 PM
Sjach will continue to scry the area for the next hour, and he will also cast Detect Magic through it (with a 65% chance of success)

Chance to cast detect magic:

[roll0]

Also I'll roll a spot check just in case:

[roll1]

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-04, 07:43 PM
"Whatever's there obviously has no problem taking people without leaving any tracks" Aest begins, moving between and away from the wizard, due to arcane magic being unnatural If we want to find out whats taking them we need bait, a leads not going to pop out of thin air. He turns back to the Sjach If it's possible could you scry around the area, see if there are any settlements nearby, even in wilds people adapt, if there is such a place perhaps it;s not a bad place to begin. Aest steps away from the table, glancing out of a window But you can't discount other theories, that there is a tratior in this goverment sending men to their deaths, or that there is some sort of monster roaming the borderlands. returning to the door he looks up again Whatever yu all deside to do we need to move fast, before more fall victim to whatever caused this, but with or without you I plan on finding out what happened, if you need me, I'm going to find the men whom vanished commander, perhaps he'll have more info.

Torgarn
2011-03-04, 08:17 PM
Korphiel turns from the others, being alone with the Fey and arcanist causing him discomfort,I am going to go grill the spymaster for any additional information. He briskly walks from the room.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-06, 01:25 AM
Sjach:
You continue to scry, and believe your study has improved your chances of teleporting there. You manage to detect something through the scry effect. It appears to be a strong necromancy effect. Beyond that you can gather no other information.

Aest:
The men's direct commander disappeared with them, but his commander is still at hand. He is a short, stocky man with a foul temper. He is very gruff. "What do you want? I have enough trouble dealing wth real soldiers, let alone bloody mercenaries."

Korphiel:
Lord Humphrey invites you into his office, and asks what additional information you need.

Torgarn
2011-03-06, 01:36 AM
Khorphiel speaks, I'd like to speak plainly, I need to know exact figures, how many men have went missing, how much training did they have, are there any amoung them that may have had motives to cause the disappearance of their comrades. I don't think it's likely, but this could have been orchestrated in your own court and I don't like taking the chance that I'll be stabbed in the back.

I'd like t make a diplomacy check just to make sure that he does all he can to answer my questions rolling [roll0]

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-06, 01:42 AM
"It was an army scouting team, two squads of ten men plus a captain...Irvan Draggonish I believe was his name, a Lieutenant whose name I do not know, and a pair of sergeants, so twenty four men in all. They had fairly regular training, nothing too special." He considers something for a moment. "There was opposition to sending them, of course, but not by anyone who would kill or harm our own citizens. Most of them want to avoid any future war, and our soldiers' disappearance only makes war more likely. If anything I think they were captured or killed by the enemy, or might just be lost."

Torgarn
2011-03-06, 01:48 AM
Khorphiel replies, Do you know of anything of value in the Borderlands, a vein of precious metals or something similar, which the scouts might have been killed for stumbling over, I just wish to find them quickly and it seems that without any idea of what might be of interest out there we have no idea where to look.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-06, 02:04 AM
["Nothing that I know of. The wars decimated that area, along with most knowledge of it. Its possible there's something valuable there, after all wars were fought over it, but what it might be I couldn't tell you."

Torgarn
2011-03-06, 02:10 AM
Korphiel asks, Are there any other things ou can think of, even the slightest deatail will help, it could be something that seems small but all information is useful. I'd alos like to know, are there any tropps that aren;t missing deployed still?

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-06, 02:15 AM
He opens another book looking for something. "There is a mention in the history books that the Borderlands used to be the domain of a Count Kuela. The family was allowed to retain ownership of the land, no matter who owned it somehow, probably because they had ties to the Imperial line. Nobody has heard from a member of the Kuela family in decades, though."

Torgarn
2011-03-06, 02:21 AM
Khorphiel nods, Thank you very much, this information may be of great importance, I should rejoin the others., Khorphiel strides off to rejoin the arcanist and pixie.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-06, 12:57 PM
"trust me, i'm none to enthralled either, but this is neccesary. Aest begins I'll keep this simple, I need two things from you, one I need to know the identity of everyone who knew where the men who went misssing were, and i need a map detailing the exact route they took before they went missing" he stops for a moment to guage the commanders reaction and continues "Finally I need four uniforms, like the men were wearing."

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-06, 01:01 PM
"I'm under no orders to give you any of that, so I won/t. That information is classified, and mercenaries aren't entitled to it. Those men are most likely dead, the Borderlands is a waste that consumes anyone who enters it. Fortunately the Emperor is sending mercs like you who we can afford to loose instead of good men."

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-06, 01:11 PM
Aest leans forward " Commander I find how little faith you have in the survival of your men disturbing, and your lack of concern for there lives even more so. He takes a step towards the commander and locks eyes with him, allowing him to see the dark red of his pupils "I mean you no ill will sir, and i simply want to find out what happened to these men, if the very least to tell there families their fate, but if you are so against the idea I'm afraid I'll have to go over your head for the information I need, so I'll ask again.....will you get me the information and equipment I need"

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-06, 01:16 PM
"A merc like you doesn't scare me. I'd just have to throw a little gold into one corner to see you scurry after it. If you want that information, its in the hands of the Lord Humphrey. Go bother him, it was his idea to send those men on a fool's errand. The Borderlands is a worthless swath of land, I say let the fools and their false emperor have it, it will stretch their forces even thinner. Now get out."

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-06, 01:23 PM
Aest turns and begins to leave, stopping just before the exit, turning his head back over his shoulder "You humans amaze me. You belive that eveyone with a sword is after money. I'm not, I came here for help and information, I joined this mission because I want to put the minds of those who loved those men at rest, so keep your gold....but know a commander who doesen't care for his men is as worthless as the mud on his boots.

(Diplomacy check to attempt to guilt him into it)
[roll0]

Aest will then turn his head back "Goodbye commander"

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-06, 02:25 PM
The commander says nothing as you leave.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-06, 02:37 PM
Dissapointed in the lack of help from the commander, Aest heads out to find lord humprey, with the intent of asking the same questions

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-06, 02:51 PM
Lord Humphrey is much more cordial than the commander. "the only ones who knew of the mission were the commander, the council, the emperor and myself. As for a map, the route was left to the captain to decide. They were last reported in blightsedge, a small outpost on the border."

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-06, 03:28 PM
The commanders a hostile type isent he?" Aest begins, "But thank you, with that information we are more likly to find them. Can we get hold of those uniforms as well?

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-06, 03:43 PM
"I am afraid I cannot authorize uniforms for you. It is bad enough to have lost actual troops in the borderlands, I cannot allow anyone to further provoke tensions that would lead to a war."

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-06, 04:49 PM
Very well Aest nods at the lord Thank you for your aid.
Aest then turns and returns to the group.

Re'ozul
2011-03-06, 10:07 PM
Having left the arcanist to his scrying as she does not wish to be alone with one even as appearingly docile as this one, Arcania went for a place that no one was watching right now to become invisible. The Fey'ri had sparked her interest as he, much like her, presents an exclusion from the norm, though in broader terms.
His "conversation" with the guard was infuriating to her. On her many heists she had seen a lot of these arrogant people, either too jaded or too involved in their superiority complex due to station and percieved ability. Perhaps this one might be taught a little indirect lesson in civility.

Spot check: [roll0] to see if the guard Aest talked to is alone or far enough away from others so that whispers won't be heard.
If this condition is met, the following happens.

Sneaking up on him, her voice is like whisper on the wind. Out of place yet still at home even in the stagnant and dusty air of this place.
"What measure is information when weighed againt the lives of beings of any number? Go forth and tell the one you so bruskly admonished what he wished to know of the borderland."

Move Silently check:[roll1] to sneak up on the guard. Arcania is invisible. (if it is possible to fly here without that making more noise than ground movement, she will do that instead)
Sense Motive:[roll2] to see wether he noticed her approaching.

If the rolls indicate that she has no reason to think he spotted her:

Suggestion: Will-Save DC 25 to negate
If he fails the save: Normal Suggestion effect PLUS after the task is done or the duration has expired (I assume this also means a dismissal) the guard gets another save against the same DC but at a -5 penalty. If he fails this save, he will think that the decision was inherently his own. A break enchentment spell can rid him of this delusion, but dispel magic and similar effects cannot.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-06, 10:54 PM
The commander doesn't notice the fey approaching, nor does he notice the spell. He does quickly leave, though.

He moves to intercept Aest as he leaves Humphrey's office. "You're trying to help, and I realize that. I've authorized my supply officer to fit you and your companions for uniforms. Be careful in their use." He walks off quickly.

Re'ozul
2011-03-06, 11:08 PM
Having followed the Guard after he took of, Arcania smiles to herself.

'Perhaps not as arrogant and callous as initially thought. I asked him to help with information, he helps with action. So there are still those that have a heart under their armor, even after this long time of war. Not bad. A bit of prodding can do wonders.'

Finishing these thoughts while looking for another quiet place to reappear without notice, she sniggers to herself for a moment in what many highborn humans would consider quite an unladylike fashion.
Now once more being visible to the naked eye, at least those of most beings, she rejoins the arcanist who, to her great sarcastic suprise, is still engrossed in his thrilling and in no way absolutely mind-numbingly boring task. Though of course, better for him to have these tasks than herself. Having to do this much studying while staying still would be excrutiating to her.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-07, 12:38 PM
Aest, always a little untrusting, watches the commander walk away with suspiscion. Why the sudden change of heart he thinks, he follows after the commander moving as quietly as possible so as not to arrouse suspicion
Move silently check [roll0]
When the commander comes into view he shall use detect thoughts
DC 23

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-07, 01:25 PM
He doesn't seem to notice Aest. When you read his thoughts, it is clear he feels guilt towards the loss of those men, and, at worst, he now has a group of mercenaries with army uniforms, which could be used to explain away the troops in the Borderlands. Should you fail, there will probably be a story of a raided uniform storehouse, blamed on brigands or perhaps the enemy nation itself.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-07, 01:55 PM
Content with this turn of events Aest turns and returns to the room with the others, quietly pushing the door open with his free hand and brandishing the uniforms in his other
"I have a gift for you all" he begins, "try these on" placing the uniforms on the table he looks around "Where is Korphiel?" he mutters, almost to himself as he lies the uniforms out he glances at the mage.
"I have a lead, scry a location called Blightsedge the scouts were last seen there. It's a good of a place to start as any.

sitandbehitski
2011-03-07, 02:50 PM
"I cannot scry there until tomorrow," Sjach replies to Aest. "But I can teleport us there without any problems.

I should be able to use Teleport without error to get to get us there.

"There is one more thing you should know before we leave," Sjach adds a few moments later. "I did not see anything in the borderlands while scrying it, but I did pick up a strong Necromancy aura, I'm not sure what is causing it though, but we should be most careful, as if we needed any more reason to."

With that said Sjach picks up the halfling-sized uniform and holds it out in front of him eying it to gauge it's approximate fit on him, after a few moments he stuffs it into his pack seeming to be satisfied.

Re'ozul
2011-03-07, 03:35 PM
Picking up her uniform Arcania's face cycles through disgust, intrigue, appreciation and mischievousness.

'I don't really want to wear this stuff. Though it would make somethings a bit easier. Not that I am usually seen anyway, but the reaction could be fun.'

Putting the uiform in her haversack for now she pipes up:

"Necromancy you say? Thats not a particularly good sign. Few good things can come of it. Are you sure you didn't just get a residue of all the killing that happened there?"

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-07, 03:45 PM
Aest sits at the table, listening to the conversation, whilst going over a map of the Borderlands. Locating the town of Blightsedge and mapping possible routes between there and where the scouts went missing.
I belive a survival check would be most approprite?
[roll0]

Without looking up from the map he speaks "Necromacy is not unlikly as a source, and something else we should prepare for" he stops mapping for a moment to look at Kiyiya, he then speaks in Sylvan Kiyiya, please locate Korphiel and lead him back, we need to dicide our plan of action....quickly As the wolf leaves he continues to work, lighting a pipe as he does.

Re'ozul
2011-03-07, 03:51 PM
Hearing the command given to the wolf Arcania snickers then breaks out in laughter. After about half a minute she gets herself back under control.

"That was priceless. It would have been even better if you had asked him to 'fetch Korphiel" though."

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-07, 03:55 PM
Aest glances at the pixie, "If I'd have said fetch" He looks back to the map "She would have only brought back his leg."

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-07, 04:05 PM
As the wolf reaches the door, korphiel enters, having gotten lost and taken the long way back from humphreys office

Re'ozul
2011-03-07, 04:06 PM
"So? the humour of the command would have been the same. Though I guess Korphiel would have had less to to laugh. So, do you think that the towns name is indicative of something with the rampant necromancy our scrying scribe described? ... Sorry, that was terrible even for my love of wordplay.
The place is called Blight's Edge basically, which begs the question, why precisely it is called that? The town must have been built after whatever Blight happened, otherwise it being on the very edge of it would be a very very unlikely coincidence."

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-07, 04:18 PM
Aest throws a uniform to korphiel "Put that on" with that he gets up "Lets get right to the point, we are going to find out what happened to those mising men. To do this we need an idea of whats going on in that location, so first of we should teleport close to the town, not in it. Then myself and any-one else capable of changing their form will enter the town and find out everything they can about it, as the pixie said, it's name clues in to somthing deeper. Due to the necromantic aura the mage located the clergy may be a good idea to talk to." he stops for a moment, inhaleing from his pipe "Then we leave town, change into the uniforms and return, claiming to be a replacment scout force. With any luck whatever, or whomever abducted the last group will catch wind and plan the same fate for us." He then gestures at the map, and the multipule paths noted on it "From there will follow the most likly path that the previous force took close to were they vanished. Chances are whatever attacked them will attack us, so be ready. Looking around at the group he makes eye contact with all of them "Normally I would avoid traveling in a pack, but the job calls for it, unless anyone else has any ideas I recomend we move."

Torgarn
2011-03-07, 05:29 PM
Khorphiel frowns, I don't like being told what to do, but it seems like a sound plan. I assume we'll be changing into humans?

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-07, 05:36 PM
" I dont much like giving orders but someone needed to" Aest says looking at the Aasimir Assume that we will be humans, but it makes sense to take the form of the most common race there, to gain their trust. he turns and picks up the map, "shall we go then?"

Torgarn
2011-03-07, 06:06 PM
Khorphiel nods, I've got just one question. How do you plan to explain away Tremisk, my Dire Bear? The stable master appears to have fnally brought him. He points to the entrance where hs bear waits.

Re'ozul
2011-03-07, 06:13 PM
"Perhaps I could help with that, though only for a certain time. I could make it appear as a horse, though of course people with really good instincts might notice anyway. I could do the same for all of us actually I think."

Arcania can cast Veil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/veil.htm) so she could make things appear to be different as they really are.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-07, 06:13 PM
"The same way I was going to deal with Kiyiya, they are to travel around the perimiter of town and hide, awaiting us when we leave. Aest loads the map in his backpack and turns to the group "Or assuming one of you has the capability to change another creatures form, turn it into a hound for a while, a dog wouldn't look out of place in any situation" Aest finishes his pipe and removes a small hunk of meat from his bag, laying it on the ground for Kiyiya, "unless you have a better idea?"

posted about 2 seconds after you :smallbiggrin:

Torgarn
2011-03-07, 06:25 PM
Khorphiel responds, Perhaps you should just change the animals, we can transform into humans, I rather think 6 horses randomly wandering into town would be captured by enterprising peasants looking for cheap gold.

sitandbehitski
2011-03-07, 06:46 PM
The plan is a sound one," Sjach remarks. "Whenever we are all ready I can teleport us just outside of Blightsedge so you can begin scouting."

Re'ozul
2011-03-07, 06:48 PM
"Very funny. I see you have as much humor as sense in companions. A dire bear, really? Be that as it may, I was talking about the more non human looking ones among us, my spell perhaps giving them an extra edge to their disguise. My ... occupation resulted in my ability for disguise to develop quite a bit."

And she is good at it. A +28 bonus before the +10 from the spell.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-07, 06:50 PM
Aest gestures for everyone to go outside, stepping out himself. He then nods to Sjach.

Re'ozul
2011-03-07, 07:04 PM
*sigh*"As much as I don't like Teleports, it is the fastest way to travel bar none. I just wish it wouldn't lend the phrase "and now for something completely different" this much credence. Its so disorienting, especially over long distance with night and day suddenly being different."

sitandbehitski
2011-03-08, 08:53 AM
Once everyone is outside Sjach has everyone touch his hands and then he mutters the arcane words and the group is suddenly standing on a plain just outside Blightsedge.

Once everyone seems to have regained their composer Sjach walks to a grouping of trees and he makes himself comfortable. "I'll wait here for your return from the town," He says. "Try not to get discovered, I don't know what type of magic this town has at their disposal."

Torgarn
2011-03-08, 09:01 AM
Khorphiel shivers, and his body ripples as he shrinks slightly and grows more portly. when a short time has passed, he stands up, an ugly squat man bulging slightly at his midriff, with eyes and hair brown like mud hes an ugly, but nonndescript man, naked as the day he was born. He looks up and smiles wryly nodding towards Aest, Now would be a nice time for that uniform.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-08, 09:18 AM
The small village of Blightsedge stands in the distance. It seems to be little more than a handful of buildings with one or two outlying farms. Looking to the West, you can see clearly how it got its name. The desolate wastes of the Borderlands lie in plain sight.

Re'ozul
2011-03-08, 11:38 AM
"Huh, not much to look at. Though you have to admire the tenacity of those people to live here right next to THAT. I don't think they have too much in the way of detecting magic. In fact I doubt that donning disguises would really be necessary. On the other hand, its better to be prepared.
Should I change our appearance now, or do you want to do that later for the uniformed part? If we look different now they definitely won't recognize us in uniform later. Though if we later just don uniforms, some of us might still stand out quite a bit."

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-08, 12:50 PM
"we'll wait until after we know about them to don the uniforms he glances over at Sjach "you saw the town, what's the most prevalent species there?
He begins to unpack his equipment and leave it on the grouNd "save the spell for later, the soilders are more Likly to attract attention than some travelers.....also I advise you leave non-vital equipment here"
Aest brings his main sword, a dagger and his holy symbol, sealing his cloak around him like a robe, taking the form of q grizzled but aged human

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-08, 01:01 PM
Humans are the most prevalent residents here, though there are only a handful.

sitandbehitski
2011-03-08, 01:07 PM
I wasn't able to scry this area, but a Knowledge local check should be enough to know the most prevalent species in the town.

Knowledge local roll:

[roll0]

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-08, 01:09 PM
Aest takes note of this and takes the form of a traveling priest "follow my lead" with that he begins to walk doWn.

Re'ozul
2011-03-08, 01:21 PM
Leaving her Haversack, Bow and Arrows (the 2 she has) behind, Arcania once more vanishes from sight and only light flutter can be heard for a moment. Then all is silent as she follows Aest 30' in the air.

'Why disguise oneself in this situation, when one can choose to not be seen at all.'

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-08, 01:23 PM
As you enter the town you notice that it is pretty desolate. There are four small buildings in the town, two of which have their doors battered in and the other two have their doors hanging open.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-08, 01:26 PM
Aest stops short of the actual town, and silently observes it
[roll]1d20+16[\roll] spot
He then, without breaking his line of sight speaks "since your invisible go and check the town" he then turns back towards the clearing "I shall fetch the equipment, I will only be a momen" he then begins to walk back

Re'ozul
2011-03-08, 01:30 PM
'This place is even more desolate than it appeared at first. I wonder if we did not come here after what happened to the soldiers also happened here.'

As she takes in the state of the village, Arcania searches for people and animals in dire need as well as reasons for this state of being.

Spot check: [roll0] to find injured animals and people.
Spot check: [roll1] to find clues on what happened here.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-08, 01:36 PM
The fey cannot find anything in need of help here...it all just seems empty.

As per clues to what happened...there are the broken open houses that could be investigated.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-08, 01:44 PM
Upon returning Aest carefully begins to move into one of the homes, swords drawn and moving as quietly as possible At the moment im out of town and ny ipod cannot process code, so if i say ill take 10 plus 19 or i can use the dice roller on my iPod and post the results?

Torgarn
2011-03-08, 06:31 PM
Khorphiel goes towards the largest building still standing changing into a Willo-Wisp and becoming invisible as he goes, he enters the door, and begins searching for anything of value

[roll0]

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-08, 10:17 PM
The building Aest enters was a small, multi-room house. The interior walls have been battered to rubble, and it is amazing the roof hasn't caved in as well. Anything remaining in the home has been smashed to pieces, leaving bits of wood and stone, with the occasional shiny bit of metal poking out. You could look through the piles of rubble but its doubtful anything useful is in there.

Korphiel enters what must have been an inn or something similar. The first room is large, and at the back is a collapsed wall. There looks to be something fairly large underneath the rubble, but its hard to tell what it is.

Re'ozul
2011-03-08, 10:24 PM
'Everyone seems gone, its all barely better than rubble. There has to be someone still around here. Livestock and pets are usually not the brightest creatures, but any information is better than none.'

Arcania flys in spirals from the village center looking for any animals that could be asked about what happened.

Since she has wild empathy and speak with animals.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-08, 11:17 PM
She notices a couple of hawks circling.

Re'ozul
2011-03-08, 11:22 PM
Having spotted two hawks flying above, Arcania takes to the sky.
As she nears them, she holds her distance and bows lightly before them.

"Noble and swift hunters of the endless blue, could you enlighten this most humble one to the happenings that have left this settlement of the earthbound ones in such a state?"

'There, that should be enough brown-nosing for the capricious bastards.'

Wild Empathy check: [roll0]

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-08, 11:35 PM
They communicate to you that a big metal thing came and drove off or killed all the humans there. It also killed many of the livestock.

Re'ozul
2011-03-08, 11:41 PM
Thanking the hawks for the information, Arcania flies down to Aest and tells him the news.

And I am going to sleep now, so no posts from me for the next hours.

Torgarn
2011-03-09, 02:11 AM
Khorphiel begin changing again, this time becoming a hideous beholder. With his eyes beams he picks up and disintegrates all of the rubble on top of the large object.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-09, 08:41 AM
Aest takes the news and takes to a nearby rooftop taking 20 with the climb check looking over the landscape, if this metal thing was sizable it should have left a trail of somesorts. From his position he calls down "someone check the area for magic" meanwhile the wolf will be digging through whichever pile smells freshest.

sitandbehitski
2011-03-09, 09:02 AM
If Sjach hears Aest's call Listen: [roll0] He will start walking towards the town to cast detect magic and start concentrating on the locations that look suspicious.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-09, 09:45 AM
Korphiel blasts the rubble, destroying most of it. Underneath appears to be a large metallic figure with spikes along its shoulders. The thing does not move.

Aest finds a lot of trash and rubble. He finds it odd that there are no bodies among the rubble. Perhaps that means everyone escaped, or, given the necromancy effect, the bodies just walked off.

Sjach does not hear the call.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-09, 10:48 AM
Aest drops down "keep an eye out" he begins to walk back towards Sjach as he calls back "don't touch anything, whatever caused this is efficient. Don't takeany chances" with that he leaves the town.

Torgarn
2011-03-09, 12:00 PM
Looking at the figure Khorphiel thinks, "This is no work of the natural world, perhaps the arcanist will be able to identify it". He changes back into a will-o-wisp and flys to Sjach, asking him to return to the village with him to identify the metal figure.

sitandbehitski
2011-03-09, 12:35 PM
Sjach agrees to go with the pixie to look at the metal figure and will try to make the appropriate knowledge check.

Torgarn
2011-03-09, 12:44 PM
Khorphiel leads him back to the metal figure and waits for Sjachs conclusion on what the metal figure is.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-09, 12:50 PM
(die rolled off site) Sjach doesn't recognize what it was.

Torgarn
2011-03-09, 12:53 PM
Khorphiel searches it for any distinguishing marks or other identifying features.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-09, 12:56 PM
From looking at it, you can tell that it was a construct. It has a large amount of dried blood around the spikes on its shoulders and back.

sitandbehitski
2011-03-09, 01:02 PM
Sjach will try to get any more detailed info on this type of construct with a knowledge Arcana check:

[roll0]

sitandbehitski
2011-03-09, 01:03 PM
Sorry, didn't see you had already rolled.

"This is a construct, a magical statue that can attack and do other tasks. It looks like this one was built for, and has seen battle but I'm afraid I do not know anything specifically beyond that."

Torgarn
2011-03-09, 01:08 PM
Khorphiel says, Well, it's rather obvious that this thing has been doing some killing. changing back into his beholder form he attempts to lift the metal figure with his telekinesis and takes it out to the town commons. he calls the others to his position. I think we can all tell what happened to the villagers he remarks.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-09, 01:33 PM
East moves over to the figure and inspects the length of the spikes, curious weather they are large enough to support a fully grown man, he looks uP at khorphiel and Sjach "any idea what it is" he says.

Torgarn
2011-03-09, 01:40 PM
Khorphiel resonds, No clue, neither of us could identify it he shrugs, I vote we just destroy it, lest it reanimate and attempt to kill us

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-09, 01:47 PM
"I agree, best not to take any chances" he glances over at Sjach "I don't suppose you have a spell that could show us what it did here before we destroy it?" after finishing his sentence Aest steps back casting stone shape on the metallic thing to hold it still.

sitandbehitski
2011-03-09, 01:58 PM
Unfortunately I do not have such a spell. I agree that we should destroy this before continuing our investigation.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-09, 02:07 PM
Aest looks to khorphiel "your best suited to destroying this" with that he moves to the edge of town and begins to search for tracks
Taking ten on the survival check
"be ready to move" he calls back "I don't advise we stay here for long"

Torgarn
2011-03-09, 02:23 PM
Khorphiel blasts the inert metal figure with his disintegration eye beam as many times as necessary until it is utterly destroyed, he then rejoins Aest at the edge of the town.

sitandbehitski
2011-03-09, 02:30 PM
Sjach watches as the construct is destroyed and then joins Aest on the edge of town as well.

Re'ozul
2011-03-09, 02:33 PM
Arcania follows the others.

'Perhaps a waste to destroy it, but i guess better save than sorry.'

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-09, 03:48 PM
The golem is very resistant to being disintigrated. The eye beams seem to disappear as they strike its surface.

There are no tracks outside of the town. The prevailing wind seems to have destroyed what few tracks were in the loose soil.

Upon further investigation, Sjach recognizes some parts of the golem. It seems to be an improved type of metal golem, probably with a specific purpose. It isn't far to guess that its purpose was to kill or destroy this town, though it may have had a different one. He recalls hearing about golems designed by necromancers to collect corpses for their studies. They tended to have massive spikes on their backs like this one to hold the bodies.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-09, 03:58 PM
Aest raises from the ground "no tracks" he mutters and glances back over his shoulder, a sly smile plays over his lips. Turning to the group he speaks "settle in, we're staying the night. He then shifts his view to Sjach "as odd as this sounds, I need you to reactivate that, so that it will return to it's master, we can follow it, safer than blindly walking into enemy territory at the least."
I'm off to a wedding so I wont be replying for a few hours

sitandbehitski
2011-03-09, 09:59 PM
"This seems a little dangerous but it also seems like a good way of finding the source of the construct." Sjach says. I'll do my best to get it re-activated, I suggest everyone else hide so we can follow from a distance if I'm successful."

Knowledge Arcana check:

Craft (metalworking) check:
[roll1]

If successful Sjach will cast invisibility on himself and hide before the construct attacks him.

If so here is a hide a move silently check, hide:
[roll2]

move silently:
[roll[1d20+22

Re'ozul
2011-03-09, 10:32 PM
On the mentioning of "Hide" Arcania goes invisible again, but still moves behind the nearest shack.

'Activating it without knowing its orders. Crazy I tell you. Eh, if bad comes to worst there is always escape upwards.'

Torgarn
2011-03-10, 12:58 AM
Khorphiel shifts into a will-o-wisp once again, I'd just like it to be known that I don't like the idea of this., he says then turns invisible.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-10, 04:47 AM
Aest casts mark of the hunter on the construct so it makes it easier to follow, and know foe, to understand what it is and what it's weaknesses are. He then Steps into a more forested area around the toWn, climbs into a tree and settles in, casting mass camouflage on himself l, the wOlf and the dire bear. he then shifts his position to get a better view of the construct. He takes 10 on the hide check for a total of 36

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-10, 10:15 PM
The reactivated construct looks around. Finding nobody (apparently) it heads to the west at a full run. It might be hard to keep up with, especially if the chase continues for a while, or you want to remain hidden.

(If you want to try to keep up with it you can, or if you want to just try to track it that's fine too, just want to know what you do).

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-11, 02:11 AM
Aest remains in the tree for now, watching it, hoping it leaves tracks, but making hand signals for others to follow it, due to the fact they are invisible.

Torgarn
2011-03-11, 02:20 AM
Khorphiel follows it relentlessly from the moment it starts moving until the moment it stops.

sitandbehitski
2011-03-11, 08:49 AM
Sjach follows it closely until his invisibility is about to end (13 minutes) and then he hangs back and follows his companions rather then the construct itself.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-11, 12:40 PM
Arcania and Korphiel-o-wisp can keep up with the construct by flying (though soon they will have to start making checks to keep up with it), but the poor halfling will be quickly left behind if they do.

Also, chasing a construct will inevitably mean making checks to keep running, which might lead to them being fatigued until they can rest for 8 hours.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-11, 07:50 PM
Now the construct is a good distance away, Aest drops from the tree, calling to the wolf and bear to follow.
Jogging towards the constructs path he takes in the tracks, running down though the obvious ones, stopping only if the tracks become harder to follow.
Dropping to a slow run to make sure he doesn;t lose the trail
Survival check for tracking [roll0]

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-11, 08:18 PM
Aest is able to track the construct with ease, its large, plodding tracks can be seen clearly in the soft ground, though how long they will remain easy to spot is difficult to say.

(Waiting to see what the others do before resolving your tracking.)

Re'ozul
2011-03-11, 08:33 PM
Arcania takes off after the construct. At first she is able to keep up with it relatively well, but soon fatigue sets in. She tries to cheat by teleporting short distances, but falls steadily behind.

'How can something so massive, move this fast. Its embarassing for someone like me.'

She watches the construct moving further and further away.

'Oh well, back to the others it is. At least they aren't any better off than me.'

She flies back to the group.

sitandbehitski
2011-03-11, 08:41 PM
Sjach will follow the tracks with Aest.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-11, 09:03 PM
(going to assume the chasers end up waiting for Aest, and Aest eventually catches up).

The group comes back together, with the sun directly ahead, and the construct nowhere in sight. The tracks are still easy to follow, and there is at least six hours of sunlight left, so you continue.

(hidden survival rolls made)

You are able to follow until nightfall with ease. You aren't quite sure how many miles you've covered this way, but you've come a good distance. You can continue to push on, but it will be hard with the darkness and exhaustion. Your instinct is to stop, but you can't help but imagine the construct's destination is close. You estimate you are halfway through the Borderlands, as you have continued more-or-less dead West in bearing.

sitandbehitski
2011-03-11, 11:10 PM
"If we want to rest here I can use a spell to provide us with a safe extra-dimensional campsite," Sjach says. "Although if the rest of the group wants to continue forward I'll follow."

Torgarn
2011-03-11, 11:28 PM
I could use a rest, Khorphiel replies.

Re'ozul
2011-03-11, 11:53 PM
"Since we have lost sight of it, there is no harm in resting. Its tracks will still be there tomorrow."

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-12, 03:49 AM
Rest is the best idea
Aest looks down at the tracks again.
they should still be there in the morning
he looks back at the group, I'll take first watch, go rest up

Re'ozul
2011-03-12, 01:05 PM
'Nice of him to volunteer. I can use some sleep, these guys and their antics are tiring. I should've remembered to pack a sleeping bag. Guess the cloak will have to do.'

Not needing much sleep courtesy of her Ring, Arcania will wake up 3 hours later unless something happens.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-12, 06:41 PM
The watches of the night pass without much worry. The land seems empty and desolate, hardly a creature stirring.

Morning actions and survival check to pick up the tracks again please

Torgarn
2011-03-12, 07:09 PM
Korphiel rouses himself and his companion and goes to search for tracks

[roll0]

sitandbehitski
2011-03-12, 08:22 PM
Sjach will spend an hour reading and prepping his spells.

Re'ozul
2011-03-12, 09:36 PM
Having been awake for quite some time now and having already renewed the plethora of effects her magic allows her every day, Arcania *patiently* waits for the slower ones to finish their preperations.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-13, 04:02 AM
Aest meditates for an hour to prepare his spells, before turning back to the tracks
[roll0] survival check

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-13, 04:36 AM
You pick up the tracks easily enough and begin following them (after your morning preparations of course). After following them for an hour in the desolate countryside, you notice something strange. To either side are what appear to be plowed fields. Given the abandoned nature of the area, they peak your interest.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-13, 04:48 AM
"thats odd" Aest mutters he scours over the feild looking for any signs of life other than this
Spot check [roll0]

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-13, 10:02 AM
There are no tracks, but sticking up in need rows are bones. They look as if they have been planted there. In the first field there are almost one hundred, and it seems the other fields in sight are of similar size.

Re'ozul
2011-03-13, 12:45 PM
'Bones. In plowed fields. Either whoever's fields these are has a very weird way of growing things or this is one of those necromancy effects our scribe felt. It gives me the creeps.'

Not wanting to be any closer to the fields than necessary, Arcania takes her flight slightly higher.

Now flying at 40'.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-13, 01:09 PM
"I dont like this" Aest thinks as he steps forward a litttle closer to the feild.
Stopping 60 feet away from it he pauses and knells down, quickly sketching the image of two eyes into the dirt and closing his.
Will crossing this feild bring us harm" he thinks, channeling divine magic through him.
Casting omen of peril with that question

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-13, 01:39 PM
Aest sees a thunderstorm in his mind's eye. What specifically that means is up to him to interpret.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-13, 06:43 PM
Aest stands up, "Theres chaos in the air" he thinks, "I dont trust this at all" He looks around "I didnt want to do this" he mutters and breaks his wings out and flys up to the pixie.
"Any ideas? theres somthing dark down there"

Re'ozul
2011-03-13, 07:05 PM
"So? Don't look at me for help with creepy stuff. If this has really something to do with undead, then I'm somewhat equipped to hurt them, but not really anything else. If its some sort of magic effect or spell, I could try to dispel some of it to see what happens. If it isn't then I as well have no real idea on it. Necromancy is not something i tend to tangle with."

Keeping her current height, Arcania tries to find indications as to wether the fields are magical in nature.

Detect Magic for 3 rounds.
Should there be something: Spellcraft check [roll0] to identify.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-13, 07:42 PM
The fields radiate a strong transmutation effect.

Re'ozul
2011-03-13, 07:53 PM
"Well, what do you know. Apparently its transformation, not necromancy. Or at least the transformation aspect is stronger. Want me to try and dispel part of it? I can't guarantee success on the first try, but unlike our scribe i don't suffer from limitations of use of what i know."

'Though he does have a greater repertoire.'

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-13, 08:39 PM
Transmutation is the only aura you sense in the area of the fields.

Torgarn
2011-03-13, 08:58 PM
Perhaps we should try to find the source of the magic before recklessly dispelling it. Khorphiel remarks.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-14, 07:51 PM
Aest hovers for a moment, not wishing to keep the wings out for long, he glances at Arcania "Could you dispell a small section of it? Khorphiels right, to dispel it all without knowing it;s intent is foolish, but at the same time leaving it could be worse"

Re'ozul
2011-03-14, 08:17 PM
"Sure. Though considering that I know about as much about this as you, don't hold me responsible if anything happens."

Arcania flies over to the corner of a field and vanishes from sight.

'If something happens at least this much should not make me the direct target. At least I hope. OK, here I go.'

Opening herself to magic, Arcania throws her own control against the one permeating the field.

Area dispel: [roll0]
If nothing dangerous happens in return, Arcania will try and try again until she either succeeds or two minutes have passed. (Take a stubborn 20)

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-14, 08:57 PM
She feels the dispel effect working, but it is like bailing out a boat with a large hole. The magic that is dissipated is then rapidly replaced by new energy. There is no apparent backlash.

Re'ozul
2011-03-14, 09:16 PM
Becoming visible once more, Arcania flies back to the group.

"Good news is that I can dispel it. Bad news is that its coming back. I guess the fields are all like one big entity. I'd need to dispel all at once, or at least parts of it often enough to affect the whole thing. Of course the alternate possibility is that the magic is constantly being renewed like a river from somewhere, then its just plain impossible."

Torgarn
2011-03-14, 09:25 PM
Everything has a source, an if you find the point of origin you can plug it. Khophiel says, an you locate the source using your arcane abilities, Fey

Re'ozul
2011-03-14, 10:00 PM
"Nope, don't think so. I can detect where magic is. I can find magic traps. I can dispel magic when I need. I can protect myself from magic reasonably well."

Having ticked off er abilities on her hand, she holds aloft her pinkie.

"But tracking magic is not particularly my realm of expertise. Also, I doubt we have the time for that considering that we don't know the total number of these fields in the vicinity as they aren't partularly noticeable from afar and we still have to follow that construct."

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-15, 12:57 PM
Aest glances down at the feild again, "I say we leave them" he looks back at the other fliers "At least for now, chances are the construct and the feilds are conected in some way, so following it may still give us some answers. with that he begins to fly back to Sjach and confer his idea.

Torgarn
2011-03-16, 09:39 PM
Khorphiel says I think I'd like to try something a bit dangerous, I'm going to try digging up some of those bones, that said he heads off to the nearest grouping of bones.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-16, 09:43 PM
Korphiel nears the corner of one of the fields. The bones are in rows in front of him.

OOC: Just need to know what you do exactly. Die roller is down for the night I believe

Torgarn
2011-03-16, 10:06 PM
Khorphiel changes into his Beholder form and uses his telekinesis to attempt to rip the bones from the ground.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-16, 10:34 PM
The bone rips free of the ground, propelled by telekinesis. It appears to have a fully formed bone foot at the end of it.

Re'ozul
2011-03-16, 10:37 PM
'Creepy, both of them.'

"So now you know whats afoot, kinda. Can we go now?"

Torgarn
2011-03-16, 10:39 PM
This is a rather odd place that I would like to explore more, but if the general consensus is to move on I will aquiesce

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-16, 10:45 PM
Out of curiosity, what do you do with the foot.

Torgarn
2011-03-16, 10:49 PM
Khorphiel disintegrates the bone that he removed from the ground.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-16, 10:57 PM
Korphiel feels a backlash as soon as the boney foot is disintigrated, as if some of his energy has been drained (you've received 1 negative level).

Torgarn
2011-03-16, 11:05 PM
Khorphiel gasps, I probably shouldn't have done that

Re'ozul
2011-03-16, 11:37 PM
Why? What happened? Don't tell me you just set the field on us or something?

Torgarn
2011-03-16, 11:43 PM
I'm not sure what happened exactly, but I feel weaker

Re'ozul
2011-03-16, 11:49 PM
"And so you reinforce my opinion about not touching those."

sitandbehitski
2011-03-17, 08:50 AM
"I think we should move out again before anything worse happens," Sjach says. "Is it safe to walk through the fields as long as we don't disturb the bones? I can fly over them if necessary but only for about a quarter of an hour, I'm not sure that will be long enough."

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-17, 12:01 PM
Aest looks at sjach for a moment "how much do you weigh?"

sitandbehitski
2011-03-17, 12:42 PM
"Not much," Sjach replies. "About 57 pounds with my equipment. If you're thinking of carrying me over the fields I'd be happy for the assistance."

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-17, 12:48 PM
Aest grabs Sjach and takes off, heading over to the other side of the feild, laying him down and immedietly checks for tracks.
Will that require another track check?

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-17, 01:00 PM
There is a path between the fields that the tracks follow. You would have to go between the fields but the path is 10 feet accross. You can try to fly over but there is no end to them in sight.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-17, 01:10 PM
First flying up to see how long the feild is, Aest begins flying down across, if he gets tired he lands in the center of the tracks, pulling out the holy symbol he carries, in case of undead.

Re'ozul
2011-03-17, 02:04 PM
Arcania stays in the air above the path.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-17, 07:01 PM
The path goes on for at least another mile (figured that was a big enough distance that you'd want the option of moving forward, and how far).

Torgarn
2011-03-17, 07:03 PM
Khorphiel continues along in his Beholder form following them.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-17, 07:16 PM
Aest keeps flying, refusing to stop

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-17, 07:46 PM
After 2 miles you reach the end of the fields. The last twenty rows of "crops" are fully grown skeletons, complete with shields and swords.

Torgarn
2011-03-17, 08:00 PM
Khorphiel casts detect magic on the skeletons, their armor, and their weapons.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-17, 08:02 PM
There is a very strong transmutation effect. Powerful enough that if there is anything else there, it is masked by it.

Interestingly enough, there is only a necromatic aura over the empty fields ahead of you.

Re'ozul
2011-03-17, 08:03 PM
Flying to the others, Arcania whispers:

"Is anyone else getting the feeling that someone might be growing an army here?"

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-17, 08:07 PM
Aest glares at the skeletons "abomonations. they should be destroyed......but if they are linked to the construct in any way, would attacking them give the enemy a warning we're coming? Aest carefully unseathes his swords just in case and prepares to begin casting dust to dust

Torgarn
2011-03-17, 08:07 PM
Possibly, though I've never seen an abomination of necromancy this vast before

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-18, 01:10 PM
Also you will need to check for tracks if you still want to follow it.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-18, 02:12 PM
[roll0]survival check for tracks if Aest locates them he begins moving forward.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-18, 03:25 PM
You cannot find proper tracks, they are obscured by hundreds of what appear to be skeleton footprints going off in many directions. The fields that are empty have a lot of the footprints as well.

[roll0]

Torgarn
2011-03-23, 05:13 AM
Khorphiel uses create water to make a pool of water which he uses to attampt to scry on the construct.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-25, 12:14 AM
For some strange reason, the scrying attempt is unsuccesful. You cannot mentally locate the construct.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-26, 07:25 AM
Aest runs his hands over the dirt, searching for larger deeper indents, the tell-tale traces of a heavy metal creature
New survival check [roll0]

Torgarn
2011-03-26, 07:32 AM
Khorphiel attempts to help Aest find the tracks.

Khorphiel uses the aid another action to give Aest a +2 on his check.

Re'ozul
2011-03-26, 05:04 PM
Torn between her own curiosity on what would happen were she to try and dispel the fully formed skeletons and her common sense, Arcania decides to not chance an army of skeletons trying to kill her.

She notices that the groups movement seems to have stalled and flies down to the others.

"Don't tell me we lost track of the iron monstrosity?"

Torgarn
2011-03-26, 05:44 PM
Tracking isn't as easy as it may seem to you fey, please quiet down so me and Aest can concentrate.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-26, 09:24 PM
Even with careful looking, the tracks still aren't easy to discern. You have a guess as to where he went but can't be certain with all the confusing tracks.

Torgarn
2011-03-26, 11:36 PM
Well, even if we aren't sure entirely we have a chance of finding the great abomination again, I say we take it.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-26, 11:38 PM
aye aest says as he begins jogging after the tracks

Re'ozul
2011-03-27, 09:22 AM
"And so we keep running along tracks we are not sure are the ones we are looking for. After an iron ... thing that we do not fully understand. In a direction that we have no knowledge of as to what awaits us in it. Looking for people we don't know. On a mission we are only vaguely aware of. ... Yep nothing beats a clear mission structure."

Having finished her inner monologue, Arcania flies after Aest.

"Wait for me, willya?"

sitandbehitski
2011-03-27, 01:52 PM
Sjach follows along with the rest. Running along from the ground on guard in case they find the construct sooner then they'd like, or in case something else finds them.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-28, 12:01 PM
As you run off after the construct you hear a cracking noise, like thousands of sheets of ice breaking. Turning back you see the skeletons moving their arms and trying to pull their legs out of the packed dirt. There are hundreds of them

Re'ozul
2011-03-28, 01:19 PM
"Guys, not that I want to play leader but to all of you who can't fly, I'd advice you to RUUUUUN."

Arcania starts climbing to 50' height for now and readies herself for a potential fight to buy the ground-locked companions time.

Torgarn
2011-03-28, 02:09 PM
Unholy abominations Khorphiel curls his lip in disgust, he changes his form into that of a beholder and rises into the air.

Re'ozul
2011-03-28, 02:30 PM
"So what do you suggest your roundness? Fight or Flight? Or whatever else you might have in your repertoire."

Torgarn
2011-03-28, 02:32 PM
Well, with how the last undead I disintegrated caused me damage as well I would suggest getting out of here.

sitandbehitski
2011-03-28, 03:18 PM
"This definately sounds like a flight situation!" Sjach shouts over his shoulder, already running away.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-28, 04:40 PM
Aest, still a warrior at heart turns and draws Lupo, "Sjach, if you want to cast any spells to escape, do it quickly" He then draws his holy symbol and begins inching towards the skeletons, "undead arn't known to stop chasing things, you all take off, follow the tracks, i'll try and distract them"

Aest prepares the dust to dust spell

Torgarn
2011-03-29, 12:23 AM
O for the love of Khorphiel points one of his eyes at Sjach, lifting him into the air with his telekinesis spell. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor Aest, with a mental command his dire bear comes crashing over to Aest, get on we need to leave, NOW!,

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-29, 01:04 AM
"dont insult my honor shapechanger" aest says, shooting a glance back at khorphiel "i know what im doing just go!""

Torgarn
2011-03-29, 01:12 AM
Fine, don't die, I was just getting to like you. with that Khorphiel and his companion begin retreating away.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-29, 07:48 AM
The skeletons finally start to loose themselves. About ten are free and heading for the party.

sitandbehitski
2011-03-29, 09:03 AM
"I've used my only teleport already today," Sjach tells the party. " I could try to Rope Trick us for about 8 hours to prepare another though, it looks like there are too many to fight if they all unearth themselves."

Re'ozul
2011-03-29, 09:23 AM
"You really want to fight this out? Strikes me as unecessary. Though if you want my help ... given from the relative safety of not being close to those things.
Or I could leave behind an image of us, though I'm not sure they are smart enough to be confused."

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-29, 12:08 PM
"JUST RUN!" Aest calls back as he begins jogging forawrd, throwing his spell at the closest group of skeletons.
Dust to dust damage [roll0]
He then draws his second blade "It's going to take more than a few undead to kill me"

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-29, 12:23 PM
Aest fires his spell just before the skeleton reaches the road. It crumbles to dust, blowing away over the field it was "grown" in. Even as it touches the undead beast, the golden ray turns black, drawing something out of Aest. He feels weaker than before.

(Aest has gained a negative level).

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-29, 12:25 PM
"what are these things? Aest wonders taking up a battle stance, holy symbol hanging loosely from his off-hand Preparing to turn undead

Re'ozul
2011-03-29, 01:26 PM
"Your spell seemed to work alright didn't it? Should I join with mine or do you want to swing that trinket at them? Or I could try dispelling them? Also, why do you insist we run? We both can fly and from all these tracks I think its fairly obvious they can't."

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-29, 01:38 PM
"You can fly they can't good plan....do you sleep? they don't, do you get tired? they dont, they will chase you endlessly unless someone holds them back. he glances back with actual concern in his eyes "Go I'll catch up" he then raises his symbol and moves closer trying to lure the skeltons to him.

Re'ozul
2011-03-29, 01:45 PM
"No thank you. I will stay right here, safely above you until you come to your senses and try to get away like the rest of us. Which should happen fast since I don't want to lose the arguably closest thing to a relative I have among this group of misfits. So try what you must and then come since I doubt you will be able to win against hundreds of these when it comes to that. Plus the ones that are still growing."

Kaim_the_angel
2011-03-29, 01:58 PM
Aest smiles "who said anything about winning?" Aest begins to step forward, unleashing his turning energy, trying to push the undead back. If successful he then steps back and casts Stone shape on the ground to cause it to drop down 10ft in a 100ft line between us and them, assuming that works he then casts snare into the hole.

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-31, 10:52 AM
The undead aren't so much as phased by the holy symbol and your power. In fact, you feel as if it didn't have nearly as much power to it as it should, perhaps there is a magical effect in place to bolster these undead.

Your stone shape also does less than advertised. You catch nine of them, and they fall down into the hole, out of the battle for now, but twenty more have freed themselves, and seem to retain enough intellect to go around the ditch to get at you. This buys you some time, but hardly is a battle ender.

Also, druid(s) make a knowledge nature check.

Torgarn
2011-03-31, 11:05 AM
As Khorphiel flys on he has a though dangling at the back of his mind.

[roll0]

tigerusthegreat
2011-03-31, 11:11 AM
Druids Knowledge check > 20
You remember hearing about a lost artifact called the Glyph of Growing. It was a mysteriously powerful device that could grow full crops in a matter of days, and protected them from being poached by animals through special magic that warded them away. Anyone that blatantly destroyed the crops was also punished somehow, though you cannot recall how.

You remember that it could theoretically grow anything. It also can only be safely handled and moved by a druid, but only for a limited time before its power would start adversely affecting him.

Knowledge (Local or History) > 30
You recall that before the wars that spoiled this land, it was a rich agricultural belt, despite not having a great climate. The farms were magically supported somehow, though you do not know the method.

Torgarn
2011-03-31, 11:24 AM
Khorphiel places Sjach down out of harms way severl hundred feet from the field. You'll have to rough it from here, I have to go back, they can't stop this.

sitandbehitski
2011-03-31, 02:55 PM
"See if you can bring them back here out of range of the Undead's senses," Sjach requests of Korphiel. "If you can I can rope trick us all into an alternate dimension where we should be safe from them long enough to gather our powers again."

Torgarn
2011-03-31, 03:10 PM
Khorphiel shifts into a will-o-wisp and flys back as fast a she can, when he gets to the field he screams out Aest these undead are feed by a glyph of growing, a druidic device, we need to retreat, the wretched spawn will continue to come at us nno matter how many you slay, and every one you do slay will harm you further.

Re'ozul
2011-04-01, 03:41 PM
"The first information in your yell was enlightening ... somewhat. The second we already knew and the third ... one more reason to get out of here. Don't you think so AEST?"

Kaim_the_angel
2011-04-02, 11:06 AM
"The first information in your yell was enlightening ... somewhat. The second we already knew and the third ... one more reason to get out of here. Don't you think so AEST?"

Aest sighs to himself, annoyed that his attempt to help is being ignored. "Just go, give me a minute, i'll be right behind you."
With that he runs towards the hole created by stone shape and leaps over it by manifesting his wings and flys low over the skeletons to grab their attention.

tigerusthegreat
2011-04-02, 11:28 AM
As aest flies, the skeletons notice. Something elsre notices as well. The sky goes black. It is not clouds but millions of crows.

Torgarn
2011-04-02, 12:45 PM
Blind fool Khorphiel thinks to himself, becoming invisible and fling away as fast as he can back towards Sjach.

tigerusthegreat
2011-04-04, 08:33 AM
Aest does his best to gain the attention of the skeletons, and does so very well. With the rest of the party leaving, he is soon lost to sight, though you see a small column of the birds violently battered against the ground by an unseen wind. You can faintly see a single flying figure going down before he is lost among the skeletons. Many of the birds now turn to follow the remaining party members.

Torgarn
2011-04-08, 02:37 PM
Khorphiel lands on the ground after he clears the fields by by 150 feet. Here he shifts into Umber Hulk nd burrows into the ground, leaving no trail behind.

Re'ozul
2011-04-08, 04:58 PM
'That Fool. I should've made him run away with us. Stupid conscience, why wouldn't you allow me this bit of manipulation. Aest you *******, using my own wish for companionship against me. This won't be the last of it.'

Arcania mentally berates herself as she once more dons her invisibility and flies after the others.

tigerusthegreat
2011-04-09, 11:30 AM
So Aest is whereever, Arcania is flying, Khorphiel is underground, and Sjach is far away. Any other actions before I start resolving things?

Torgarn
2011-04-09, 10:02 PM
Go right ahead.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-04-14, 05:35 PM
im ready, if im alive that is :L

Re'ozul
2011-04-14, 07:16 PM
Aww, crap. I could've sworn I said it was okay. Actions will depend on what happens. If she is still being followed while invisible she will try nondetection on herself.

tigerusthegreat
2011-04-16, 10:30 PM
Korphiel and Sjach survive their respective onslaughts, and are both safe underground. Their actions seem to have distracted the various hordes following you.

Torgarn
2011-04-17, 02:03 AM
Khorphiel digs himself a small underground warren where he prepares to rest and lick his wounds.

sitandbehitski
2011-04-19, 10:14 AM
"Do you think the others are all right?" Sjach asks as he begins resting to prepare his spells again.

Torgarn
2011-04-19, 04:10 PM
I certainly hope so, though it seems unlikely.

Re'ozul
2011-04-19, 05:36 PM
Still having been invisible this entire time until now, Arcania can't help herself and floats closer to them.

"Well, I'm still here."

Becoming visible once more, she adds:

"Though I really hope Aest is as well, if only to give him a punch to the back of the head for this idiotic behaviour."

tigerusthegreat
2011-04-20, 02:40 PM
Aest appears among Arcania and Sjach, scaring both out of their wits. They do not know where Khorphiel is.

Khorphiel seems safe underground.

It would appear the hordes of undead and birds have been scared off. Even better, there are tracks on the ground that appear to be those of the metal construct.

Torgarn
2011-04-20, 02:56 PM
After resting, and preparing his spells, Khorphiel emerges from his resting place, and looks around to try to approximate where his frantic flight has taken him.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-04-20, 04:27 PM
Aest slides his sword back into its sheath and fixes the group with a dark stare.
"Never question my honor in that way again" he says with a low growl, he then turns away from the group and quietly stalks over to the tracks, kneeling down and assessing them
Track [roll0]
he pulls himself up after looking at the tracks
No time to sleep he thinks whom ever is creating these abominations must be stopped, and I have no intention of these creatures stopping me.

tigerusthegreat
2011-04-20, 04:53 PM
Aest believes he can follow the tracks, though how long they will remain clear is still not known.

Korphiel: will pick you back up when the timelines meet up again if you are resting for 8 hours, and it seems the rest of the party is not.

Re'ozul
2011-04-20, 05:23 PM
"I will question things when I think they make no sense. And you weren't really forthcoming about your plan back there."

Arcania will follow Aest, though while somewhat annoyed at him and looking at his behaviour closely.

Sense Motive: [roll0] or 29 if continued observation over several hours allows for taking 20.
... to figure out wether that really is Aest, what with going down in the middle of that mass of undead from what she knows.

sitandbehitski
2011-04-20, 11:51 PM
"No one was questioning your honor," Sjach remarks. "We were just questioning going with martyrdom as plan A." Sjach wanders over to the tracks and takes a look. "If you think you can follow these we should probably start now before we lose the trail, hopefully Korphiel will be able to find us if he survived somehow."

Kaim_the_angel
2011-04-21, 05:10 AM
Without looking back Aest speaks
"you questioned my honor when you told me to run"

Re'ozul
2011-04-23, 01:17 PM
"So your honor is satisfied in having taken down at least a few before running away? Because we are still running away now. The only difference is measured in single digits, the things that got destroyed. We are effectively no closer to getting rid of them than we were before.
If your honor compels you to make completely irrelevant stands then I am glad I do not share it."

Kaim_the_angel
2011-04-23, 03:40 PM
"So your honor is satisfied in having taken down at least a few before running away? Because we are still running away now. The only difference is measured in single digits, the things that got destroyed. We are effectively no closer to getting rid of them than we were before.
If your honor compels you to make completely irrelevant stands then I am glad I do not share it."

Aest stops in his tracks
"You think honor only lies in war?" he turns and locks the pixie with a dark glare, his eyes flash with a dark red flame for only the brifest moment.
"Honor lies in protecting others with ones own strength, I did my duty by risking my life to allow you escape without fear of being followed" he turns away again and continues along the path
"If you wish to contiune hiding behind bold words you should try and understand who you critizise and you know nothing of me. with that he pulls his cloak over his shoulders and continues to stride ahead, apart from the group slightly hunched over to make sure he is still following the tracks.

Re'ozul
2011-04-23, 09:41 PM
"The target of one's critique is irrelevant. As is the target's background. Only actions count.",

Arcania rebuts, not intimidated by Aests apparent grandstanding.

"Yes, I am grateful for your help and the fact that we are not being followed if that was your doing. However, you did so without telling us anything, leaving us with only the impression that you were quite mad at trying to stem the great bony tide without explanation."

Being done with her admonishment she lowers her voice to a softer level.

"Doing your Duty is fine and well, but even considering our group's strange composition and way of having been formed, we are a group nonetheless. We are to help each other, and nothing is gained by trying to shoulder things alone.Not here. Not now."

tigerusthegreat
2011-05-13, 08:26 AM
I really hate doing this, but I have to discontinue this adventure. My work load (and now school load as I am having to take a summer course) is severely limiting my online time. I am sorry to do this to you guys.