PDA

View Full Version : Does this make sense?

Pard
2011-03-03, 04:03 PM
OK, building a Half-Ogre (#313) Minotaur (MMI). I'm taking a homebrew template called Half-Forged (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Half-Forged_(3.5e_Template)). Only reason I am talking it is that it's LA+0 and it gives me the construct type. Then I can take the Incarnate Construct template from SS and now my LA, which as at +2 because of the Minotaur, is now down to 0, because Incarnate Construct template is -2.

Does that make sense?

Alternatively, because that half-forged gives a "Living Construct" type which may prove incompatible with the Incarnate Construct template, I was approved to take the "Captured One" template from MMII, which does give a straight-up construct type. The only down side of that is my DM will not give me the "Powerful Build" ability, which he was going to give me with the Half-Forged.

gbprime
2011-03-03, 04:29 PM
OK, building a Half-Ogre (#313) Minotaur (MMI). I'm taking a homebrew template called Half-Forged (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Half-Forged_(3.5e_Template)). Only reason I am talking it is that it's LA+0 and it gives me the construct type. Then I can take the Incarnate Construct template from SS and now my LA, which as at +2 because of the Minotaur, is now down to 0, because Incarnate Construct template is -2.

Does that make sense?

Conceptually... no. You want to be a halfbreed construct with an artificial limb? Do constructs breed? Do they need "artifical" limbs?

I realize the templates might all fit together, but it seems less like common sense and more like min-maxing. It's just an attempt at getting a +14 strength for a total of +1 LA, yes?

Pard
2011-03-03, 04:53 PM
Conceptually... no. You want to be a halfbreed construct with an artificial limb? Do constructs breed? Do they need "artifical" limbs?

Half-Ogre (that is a living creature, NOT a construct...) Minotaur (this is ALSO a living creature and NOT a construct). So where did you get a halfbreed construct from? Seriously...

And it is very possible that a half-ogre minotaur would lose a limb or two because frankly all they are good at is beating stuff up and being a big old meat shield.

{Scrubbed}

Lastly, isn't it weird that a guy who wins the optimization trophy would be railing against someone who is trying to optimize a PC? I never said I was not. This isn't even a real character. It's an NPC my DM is going to play...

Oh and it's only +12 strength, because I'm not taking the +2 from the half-forged template. I'm taking a DM ruled "Powerful Build" because that is WAY better than an extra 2 strength. And LA+1? It's a 0 LA.

Minotaur gives a +2
Half-Ogre gives a 0 (Only gives a +1 LA IF the creature increases in size, Minotaur is already a Large creature, no LA from Ogre)
Half-Forged gives a 0
Incarnate Construct gives a -2
Grand total of 0

Pard
2011-03-03, 05:00 PM
Ya I edited it right after posting...

And I don't think he got it from "half-forged" as he clearly acknowledges that this character would have an "artificial" limb... I just think he is mad for some unknown reason...

FYI, half-forged is an acquired template you can take after losing a limb.

Prime32
2011-03-03, 05:00 PM
If it's an NPC it doesn't make sense... because NPCs use CR, not ECL.

Pard
2011-03-03, 05:02 PM
If it's an NPC it doesn't make sense... because NPCs use CR, not ECL.

My DM is playing him for me, as a regular PC. I didn't explain that because it really doesn't matter. He wants me to keep it with an ECL. I am going to be able to play him down the road a ways. We are playing a weird campaign he he wants my current PC and this one I am building to use his homebrew template to be magically twisted into a freak of nature...

mikau013
2011-03-03, 05:18 PM
I'd say fluff wise it is pretty weird and doesn't really make sense, but you can always refluff everything if needed, especially if allowed third party and homebrew sources.

That being said, unless I'm mistaken here, what you do is actually illegal

Being a minotaur gives you 6 monstrous hit dices and changes your type to monstrous humanoid. Half ogre doesn't change your creature type.
But The linked half-forged template requires you to be a humanoid and thus you don't qualify since you are a monstrous humanoid which is a different type.

Pard
2011-03-03, 05:27 PM
I'd say fluff wise it is pretty weird and doesn't really make sense, but you can always refluff everything if needed, especially if allowed third party and homebrew sources.

That being said, unless I'm mistaken here, what you do is actually illegal

Being a minotaur gives you 6 monstrous hit dices and changes your type to monstrous humanoid. Half ogre doesn't change your creature type.
But The linked half-forged template requires you to be a humanoid and thus you don't qualify since you are a monstrous humanoid which is a different type.Thank you.

I'll run it by the DM and see if it bothers him to much. He'll probably be ok with it, this is the least min/max'd character in the entire game. We have one guy who is running some crazy Tauric build.

Prime32
2011-03-03, 06:17 PM
I'd say fluff wise it is pretty weird and doesn't really make sense, but you can always refluff everything if needed, especially if allowed third party and homebrew sources.The offspring of a minotaur and an ogre got an artifical limb. Later on it was transformed into a living part of him by magic, though the process didn't leave his body entirely as it was before.

gbprime
2011-03-03, 09:11 PM
Ya I edited it right after posting...

And I don't think he got it from "half-forged" as he clearly acknowledges that this character would have an "artificial" limb... I just think he is mad for some unknown reason...

FYI, half-forged is an acquired template you can take after losing a limb.

Wow. Good thing I didn't see it before you edited it! :smallwink:

Mad, no. I have no reason to be upset with a stranger on the internet. My comment was essentially that a +12 str and size large for 0 LA (got it wrong earlier as I looked at the Savage Species version of both Half Ogre and Minotaur, as they net out to +14 str and +1 LA) is a bit contrived. But if it's "the least min/maxed" in the group (information you did not provide in the post), then there shouldn't be a problem with it.

If that's the case, though, why poll for advice? It's using a d20 Homebrew that is being further modified by your DM while ignoring requirements for one of the other templates, isn't it? Aren't we way out in left field by that point?

I'd be interested in hearing what else is in the group that overshadows this concept, though.

But if you really want to blow away power level, as long as you're using Savage Species, why not throw out Minotaur and do a Half-Ogre, Half-Anthro-Baleen-Whale instead? 3 racial HD instead of 6, no level adjustment, massive stat bonuses, +9 NA, size large, and 120' blindsense.

And as to the Iron Chef stuff, you'll note that I have avoided going over Tier 3 in relative power. On purpose. Most campaigns can't handle characters over a certain power level. (I considered an Anthro-Baleen-Whale for the Drunken Master competition and turned away from it... too much cheese, despite the 'Barwhale' and 'drinks like a fish' puns I could have made.)