PDA

View Full Version : How to create a Tyr costume?

Dvil
2011-03-03, 04:48 PM
Right guys, challenge. I've got two weeks to get a "Turisas-style" (not my words) costume of the Norse god Tyr together, as cheaply as possible. You guys got any ideas?

Also, it has to be based around a movie/tv character technically, so if you know of any movies/tv shows that Tyr has appeared in that'd probably be useful. If not, I can always just say he's a background character in Thor. No-one'll know.

thubby
2011-03-03, 05:03 PM
seems like a pretty standard barbarian warrior costume, just wrap up your right hand in bandages because tyr lost his to fenrir.

Asta Kask
2011-03-03, 05:05 PM
And use a sword, not a spear or axe. Swords were Tyr's favored weapon. Also, he definitely has some sun aspects to him (he's the son of the Sun Woman) - maybe you can do something with that.

Spiryt
2011-03-03, 05:07 PM
"Turisas style" appears to be classic pseudo viking raaaaaage stuff indeed. :smallwink:

So some artificial fur, metalhead gear of this variety (http://www.takt-rybnik.pl/sklep/images/pieszczocha-5%20rzedy%20stozek%20wysoki.jpg) and some red paint may be good idea.

Dvil
2011-03-03, 05:13 PM
And use a sword, not a spear or axe. Swords were Tyr's favored weapon.that.

Oh? I was under the impression Tyr's favoured weapon was a spear called Gungnir. I'm happy to admit I'm wrong mind, since I'm not very well-read on Norse stuff.

Necro_EX
2011-03-03, 05:26 PM
That'd be Odin's spear.

Tyr was all about single combat, so man-on-man deals.

As for costuming...I'd honestly say to avoid furs, that's too cliched.
Here's a picture of him from an Icelandic manuscript (prior to the whole deal with Fenrir that cost him his hand.). It shows him without any fur at all. :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/IB_299_4to_Tyr.jpg

You can also crack open Deities and Demigods and take a look at their design for him, if you want to go with the bear pelt look.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dd_gallery/dd4/Tyr_p196.jpg

Looking in that same book you can see Uller, Baldr, Frey, Odin, Heimdall, Loki, Hermod, and Forseti all without any furs.

Dvil
2011-03-03, 05:32 PM
That'd be Odin's spear.

Ach, darn.

You can also crack open Deities and Demigods and take a look at their design for him, if you want to go with the bear pelt look.

Hmm. I may be wrong again, but wasn't it his right hand that he lost to Fenrir?

Icewalker
2011-03-03, 05:34 PM
Cut off your hand? :smalltongue:

Also, there's a character named after Tyr in the TV show Andromeda. Tyr Anasazi. He's pretty awesome. And probably...not what you're going for, in appearance. At all.

Actually, are there any Goauld in Stargate that take the name Tyr? They all just use gods, so...

Reverent-One
2011-03-03, 05:54 PM
Actually, are there any Goauld in Stargate that take the name Tyr? They all just use gods, so...

No, the Norse gods were, appropriately, all Asgardians (Roswell type aliens). And Tyr never showed up in the show (though apparently he's mentioned in the RPG).

It's a shame you need a movie/tv version of Tyr, otherwise I might suggest the webcomic Brathalla's Tyr, pacifist god of war. (http://brat-halla.com/comic/216-pantheon-games-the-ends-of-war/)

Icewalker
2011-03-03, 06:02 PM
Right, I'd forgotten that. Asgardian is a little hard as a costume :smalltongue:

Although, that is a good method. You could get a general Tyr costume, and claim you are an Asgardian holoraphic projection, cause that's actually what they do in the show.

zeratul
2011-03-03, 10:24 PM
This is for the Turisas facebook metal warrior photo competition I'm assuming. It was my understanding that all you really need to do for that is have a photo of you in Turisas style metal regalia, Where is the TV/film and Tyr part coming from? :smallconfused:

Dr.Epic
2011-03-03, 10:57 PM
Based on what I know about the myths, get some armor (I recently ordered some mail for $100 (maybe that's too expensive)) and find a way to make it look like your hand was bitten off (just bandage you entire hand/upper arm).

Dvil
2011-03-04, 01:43 AM
This is for the Turisas facebook metal warrior photo competition I'm assuming. It was my understanding that all you really need to do for that is have a photo of you in Turisas style metal regalia, Where is the TV/film and Tyr part coming from? :smallconfused:

That's cos it's not. It's for a fancy dress party.

Dvil
2011-03-04, 04:04 PM
I've had a sudden brainwave. If I can find a decent half-cloak type affair, I can use that to hide my right hand and not need to think up some elaborate method of making it look cut off.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-03-04, 11:25 PM
Nitpick: on Stargate, all Norse gods are Asgard (little green grey men), not Goauld. And no, Tyr did not make an appearance. Loki did, however. Apparently he does stupid bad weird annoying stuff FOR SCIENCE!

thubby
2011-03-05, 12:14 AM
I've had a sudden brainwave. If I can find a decent half-cloak type affair, I can use that to hide my right hand and not need to think up some elaborate method of making it look cut off.

what's so elaborate about some gauze or an ace bandage? :smallconfused:

Dvil
2011-03-05, 04:40 PM
what's so elaborate about some gauze or an ace bandage? :smallconfused:

The problem with that is that I could make a fist and then wrap it in bandages, but then I'd end up with a stump that quite clearly extends roughly 5 inches beyond my wrist, which just looks a bit odd.

CletusMusashi
2011-03-05, 11:23 PM
Don't wear a helmet. Use a lot of hair product instead. He's the wind god, so you want his hair to show it.
In fact, if you can find a battery-powered hairdryer, give him that instead of a hook-hand! if anyone nitpicks, just say that Asgard technology was a little bit higher.

Asta Kask
2011-03-08, 04:40 PM
Tyr was all about single combat, so man-on-man deals.

I'd challenge that, actually. According to Snorre's Edda he has great influence over victory in war. Thor is more of a single-combat god.

Remember that Tyr is also the god of law and justice. That's why he loses his arm to Fenrir - in order to bind the wolf, the gods must swear false and it is fitting that the god of justice pay the price for perjury.

And he's missing his right hand - he's known as the left-handed god.

Necro_EX
2011-03-08, 10:49 PM
I thought he was a god of single combat because of the whole honorable combat deal, plus swords are notorious for being single-combat weapons.

You may be correct, though...I'm rather rusty when it comes to this, sadly.

Asta Kask
2011-03-10, 05:12 PM
I checked one of my books to be sure, written by a professor of religious history. Many of the Norse gods were war gods - Thor, Tyr, Odin, Frey, Freya... So Tyr was a god of war and justice.

Flame of Anor
2011-03-12, 03:52 PM
Hmm. I may be wrong again, but wasn't it his right hand that he lost to Fenrir?

Yes, it was. Apparently Deities & Demigods did not do the research (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DidNotDoTheResearch).

pffh
2011-03-13, 08:32 AM
I checked one of my books to be sure, written by a professor of religious history. Many of the Norse gods were war gods - Thor, Tyr, Odin, Frey, Freya... So Tyr was a god of war and justice.

And courage and honour. In fact for Týr I would avoid the standard barbarian viking cliches and go for more towards a nobleman viking.

So cloak, fancy tunic, sword and a non-horned helm.

Dvil
2011-03-13, 08:34 AM
Hmm, a nobleman might actually be easier. A friend I know is the son of the thane of the local reenactment group, so should have access to some nobleman's wear.

Asta Kask
2011-03-13, 08:56 AM
No Vikings ever had horned helms, so they should be avoided on general principle. If he went as a Celtic god (especially Cernunnos), then yes, horns would be appropriate.