PDA

View Full Version : Infernal Pitbulls, anyone? (PEACH)

LOTRfan
2011-03-03, 07:53 PM
These are based off of the demons of the same name from BtVS. Personally, I thought they would be more interesting as devils in D&D.

http://www.propstore.com/img/products/33/fyarl1_1.jpg

Fyarl
Large Outsider (Evil, Lawful, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 11d8+44 (93 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40 ft.
Armor Class: 27 (+17 natural, +1 Dexterity, -1 size), touch 10, flatfooted 26
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+23
Attack: Claw +18 melee (1d6+8 damage)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +18 melee (1d8+8 damage), and Gore +13 melee (1d10+8 damage)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Petrifying Mucus, Rend
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 15/Good and Silver, Immunity to Mind Effects and Poison, Resistance to fire cold and acid 10, Spell Resistance 19
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +7
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 14
Skills: Intimidate +16, Jump +26, Listen+14, Search +11, Spot +14
Feats: Improved Toughness, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave
Environment: The Nine Hells of Baator
Organization: Solitary, Pair, or Battle Group (8-12 plus Osyluth)
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Lawful Evil
Advancement: 12-22 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -----

A large devil crawls out from the sewers. It is very muscular, and curved horns extrude from its head. Bony plates extend from its shoulders and elbows, and it bares its sharp teeth.

Sometimes, the Archdevils find that pure Baatezu are not always the ideal pawns in the eternal political conflicts of the Nine Hells. Baatezu are always looking to use the situation to their advantage, which makes them far from perfect agents in delicate situations. In such cases, the Archfiends use one of the other races of Devil found in Baator. One such creature is the dreaded Fyarl. Fyarls, or Mucus Devils, are bred in Dis as fighters. They are far too stupid to understand concepts such as advancement and strife, following their leaders with extreme loyalty. The Fyarl is most well known for the power that gives it its nickname, being able to shoot petrifying mucus from its nasal cavities to capture enemies.

Fyarls are incredibly stupid and without instinct, and cannot survive long without a commander. It will follow any creature that allows it to give into its simple and primitive urge to destroy. Fyarls are only capable of speaking Infernal.

Combat
Fyarls are rather straight forward combatants. They prefer to fire their mucus at enemies, and then leap right into the fray as they wait for it to dry. Any who escape their petrifying mucus is mowed down in melee combat.

Petrifying Mucus (Ex): As a standard action, a Fyarl may squirt a jet of mucus at any enemy within 30 ft as a ranged touch attack. This mucus deals 1d6 acid each round for two rounds and afterwards hardens into a stone-like substance. If the target is medium or smaller, it is allowed a Fortitude save (DC 18), or be entrapped in stone. Before the two round waiting period, a target may end the chance of this occurring by spending a full round action to scrap off the mucus, or submerge themselves in water for at least one round. Because the targets are not really petrified, targets who are normally immune to petrifying effects are affected as the mucus hardens around them. This stone-like substance has a hardness of 8 and 60 hit points. Those trapped inside cannot move or perform any actions. After the number of rounds that they can hold their breath for, the creatures entrapped begin to suffocate if someone hasn't broken apart the covering at that point. The save DC is Constitution based.

Rend (Ex): When a Fyarl hits a target with both claw attacks in one round, it may immediately tear the flesh of its target, dealing an additional 2d8+16 damage.

Land Outcast
2011-03-04, 03:58 PM
I hope to comment more throughly later, but by now I'll nitpick the stat block.

Flat footed AC sould be "24".
The attacks are lacking the size penalty (-1) to hit.
The gore attack is lacking the customary -5 for secondary natural attacks.
"Immunity to Mind Effects" should be "Immunity to mind-affecting effects"
A land speed of "40" gives a +4 bonus on jump checks.

I'll be back!

LOTRfan
2011-03-04, 04:40 PM
Thank you. I should've edited a little more carefully.

Land Outcast
2011-03-04, 05:47 PM
You're welcome :smallsmile:

Now, about the creature itself: indeed, it's good as a brute but of course -as you state in the fluff- will be cut down like wheat if they are alone. Should they have an intelligent commander behind they will make for a tough fight, particularly with that DR... I might even raise their AC by two points so that they are harder to hit than bone devils.

The special attack is cool in its implementation - I particularly like that it implies a touch attack rather than a reflex save, that should give enough troubles to any group of creatures. How is the DC calculated?

LOTRfan
2011-03-04, 06:00 PM
You're welcome :smallsmile:

Now, about the creature itself: indeed, it's good as a brute but of course -as you state in the fluff- will be cut down like wheat if they are alone. Should they have an intelligent commander behind they will make for a tough fight, particularly with that DR... I might even raise their AC by two points so that they are harder to hit than bone devils.

That's what I was aiming for. A pushover on it's own, but when led by a capable commander, a group of these creatures can be a decent threat. I'll add the extra natural armor right now.

The special attack is cool in its implementation - I particularly like that it implies a touch attack rather than a reflex save, that should give enough troubles to any group of creatures. How is the DC calculated?

The save (DC 18) is Constitution-based. I've added that in as well, now.

Thank you again. :smallsmile:

Blynkibrax
2011-03-07, 04:02 PM
Great work as always, LOTRfan. I'm a big fan of the Buffyverse demons.

LOTRfan
2011-03-07, 05:20 PM
Thanks! I'm glad you like it. :smallsmile: