PDA

View Full Version : 4E Setting-Hopping Evil Epic Campaign - Defender Ideas

RTGoodman
2011-03-03, 09:04 PM
Since I'm finishing up my 4E Red Hand of Doom campaign by the end of April, one of my players has stepped up to run a fun summer D&D campaign. He's decided to make it Epic-level (24th-level to start), with evil characters that can be drawn from ANY D&D setting. The rest of the party consists of the following, but no one has actually built characters yet.

-Drow Rogue (from the Forgotten Realms Underdark)
-Tiefling Warlord
-Gnoll Shaman
-[Unknown Race] Wizard/Lich

Originally I was gonna do a Wizard|Psion/Master Defiler/Dragon King, but I don't want to be a second Controller and the party obviously needs a Defender. Which is okay, because that's my favorite role to play.

The problem is, I have no idea what I want to play. I think I want to stick to Dark Sun as my origin, so no Paladin, and I just plain don't like Warden. So we're down to Fighter or Battlemind, or maybe Swordmage. But for whatever I choose, I need to have a reason I was banished from my home setting by the combined forces of the Sorcerer-Kings (or whoever's in charge in the various settings). Any ideas beyond the following? I could use any of these, but I don't know if there's something that might be more enjoyable.

-Mul Gladiator Arena Fighter: Was the greatest gladiator of his age, led a massive escape, and became one of the most powerful leaders in the Wastes. I don't know about building an Arena Fighter, though, or if I should just go normal Great Weapon Fighter or something. Evil, but not Chaotic Evil.

-Thri-Kreen Battlemind: No idea why or how he would be powerful enough to make sense in the backstory. Or why he'd be Evil/CE.

-Be Elric of Melnibone: I haven't read the Elric stories in a few years, but if I drop the DS schtick I could probably do a serviceable Elric with a Shadar-Kai Swordmage/Warlock or something.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-03, 10:25 PM
For the Thri-Keen, a fun idea could be had within the story of the Donner Party. He was forced to (at some point) eat another sentient being for survival, and found he had a taste for it. He left his home of his own accord, to search the world for more... exotic dishes.

RTGoodman
2011-03-04, 01:07 AM
That could be a pretty good one. But figuring out a way that he became more powerful that most of the sorcerer-kings of Athas by doing that would be a little difficult. (Unless he was trying to, uh, taste the Dragon and that's why he was planar exiled.)

Talyn
2011-03-04, 09:19 AM
If you aren't married to the Dark Sun origin, you could always roll a paladin and or Knight (from HotFL) and say that you are one of Lord Soth's traitor knights from Dragonlance - you were torn from your home plane when Soth and his retinue was sucked into Ravenloft as punishment for his crimes. You were able to escape the mists and have been wandering the planes ever since.

If the DM is allowing Lichs, you could ask him to let you be a Death Knight for maximum Soth-iness. Sure, you'd lose your Human bonuses, but immunity to poison and disease, resistance to necrotic, and a Charisma based charm encounter power (with Paladin synergy, at that!) would be great.

Go sword-and-board, grab Superior Weapon: Bastard Sword, Ardent Vow (because really, evil paladins shouldn't need to do much healing) and, er, I don't know, maybe the Questing Knight paragon path from Divine Power? Gray Guard is good, too.

Tankadin
2011-03-04, 11:17 AM
MC Hawking: Singularity Man (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/25594873/How_to_Build_a_Black_Hole_4e_Style?post_id=4613720 29#461372029)
Drow Fighter/Curseborn/Demigod

Basically, using feats and the Curseborn PP you supercharge the drow racial Cloud of Darkness to a burst 2 that you can sustain as a standard action. You use the Alluring Lights ability to get opponents into the cloud. Everyone but you is blinded, the cloud is difficult terrain, and every turn the Battle Standard of the Hungry Blade slows enemies in a burst 3 while pulling them 2 squares towards you. If they try to get away, you OA and knock them prone.

The sweet part is that this is something you can do even if you’ve burnt your dailies and encounters. If things are real bad wrong, you can go into lockdown mode fairly easily.

As for banishment, how about something like this: Upon receiving the Divine Spark of Lloth’s evil, you are summoned to the Demonweb Pits. The Spider-Queen likes your style and thinks someone who loves the shadows and uses them as cruelly as you do will fit right in. Some of Lloth’s other servants are less welcoming. After a few levels of being sent to defend a few of Lloth’s favorite clerics and wizards from meddling adventurers, bodyguard duty for Lloth’s ambassador to the 9 Hells, and some murderous infighting, you make the mistake of complaining that your talents are being wasted. Maybe you’ve made enemies of one of Lloth’s lieutenants or even her consort—and are violently expelled from the Pits.

RTGoodman
2011-03-04, 10:14 PM
If you aren't married to the Dark Sun origin, you could always roll a paladin and or Knight (from HotFL) and say that you are one of Lord Soth's traitor knights from Dragonlance - you were torn from your home plane when Soth and his retinue was sucked into Ravenloft as punishment for his crimes. You were able to escape the mists and have been wandering the planes ever since.

That is a BRILLIANT idea. I think that's what I'm going with. It's not DS, but Dragonlance is my second favorite setting. Gotta go read up on some Soth stuff now...

Any other ideas for Paragon Paths (or Epic Destiny) and stuff for this guy? I normally go Demigod just because it's good, but might look into others instead.

MeeposFire
2011-03-04, 11:15 PM
That is a BRILLIANT idea. I think that's what I'm going with. It's not DS, but Dragonlance is my second favorite setting. Gotta go read up on some Soth stuff now...

Any other ideas for Paragon Paths (or Epic Destiny) and stuff for this guy? I normally go Demigod just because it's good, but might look into others instead.

What sort of stuff do you want for your knight. Further defining the theme or mechanical concerns would help.