PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] I need some tips, please.

Apophis
2011-03-03, 09:45 PM
Okay, so it seems the PCs in my campaign are about to go on a crusade against pirates. I have read through Stromwrack, but I would like some tips from people have played a campaign like this. What I need to have, should avoid, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Vknight
2011-03-03, 09:47 PM
I would avoid things that should not exist on pirate ships and also make sure the pirates give a challenge thanks to numbers, and versatility along with surprise.
So make sure its fair but remeber pirates are smart. The ones in the mediteranean were former navel officials.

Urpriest
2011-03-03, 09:54 PM
Vehicle rules, dealing as they do with maneuverability, are pretty clunky. Unless you're fairly familiar with them I'd have NPCs do most of the ship piloting, and have ships treated as stationary in combat.

wade wilson
2011-03-03, 10:05 PM
This depends somewhat on the level of your players, but keep armor penalty rules in mind. There's a reason pirates don't wear too much armor. If your players like to role play, some down time while sailing is a great opportunity to do so. Mysterious disappearances and such on the ship make for good side adventures, and they can be extra interesting due to the small nature of a vessel. On the other hand, if your PCs are more of the roll playing types, avoid down time like the plague. Keep travel times to a minimum and skip through them when necessary.

Doughnut Master
2011-03-03, 10:37 PM
I would avoid things that should not exist on pirate ships and also make sure the pirates give a challenge thanks to numbers, and versatility along with surprise.
So make sure its fair but remeber pirates are smart. The ones in the mediteranean were former navel officials.

I know I'd sure be surprised by pirates coming out of my belly button.

Vknight
2011-03-03, 11:05 PM
Pirates use common tactics including flying flags of the same nation, making them a appear stranded.
AMong other things

Serpentine
2011-03-03, 11:40 PM
I only have one bit of advice, from experience: Be aware of space. I nearly had a TPK because I failed to take into account just how much of the deck of a ship a Drowned's aura will take up - to whit, almost all of the ship I'd used.