PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Can gold buy the psionic subtype?

Zaq
2011-03-04, 12:45 AM
So I have a character on which I really, really want the feat Up the Walls (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#upTheWalls). Unfortunately, as it stands, the character is not at all psionic, and I really can't afford to change my race or my class to become psionic. I'm aware of the Wild Talent feat, but if I can get this without spending an additional feat (since I'm starved for them already), I'd really like that. Is it possible to buy a PP reserve on a nonpsionic character? I'm aware of the Crystal Node, but that only works if you're psionic in the first place, which I'm not. Am I going to just have to suck it up and wait until I can free up not one but TWO feats, or is there a way to screw the rules with my money?

Alternatively, is there a way to buy an Up the Walls-style effect with items? A climb speed won't quite get the job done, since I want to leap off the wall, and I don't think you can jump while climbing. I'm familiar with the Wall Leaper skill trick, but it's only once per encounter, which just won't do (I want to be leaping all over and treating the walls as my playthings . . . imagine the wall jump from the Mega Man X series). Any ideas?

The specifics of the character (and some semiaimless rambling) are spoiled below. The character's an E6 Scout. The race (neraph) and 5 of the levels (Scout 5) are set in stone. I could technically take, say, Ardent or Psion (or even Psywar, for the instant bonus feat) with my last level, but I'd really rather take Scout 6 or Thief-Acrobat 1 if I can help it. Up the Walls is beautiful and important, but I'd lose 6 skill points (which really hurts on a character like this) by taking a psionic class other than Lurk (which really wouldn't help). Ardent is tempting because it would give me access to the Freedom mantle's granted power (a very tasty bonus to movement speed), but it wouldn't give me the Jump power (which I really want) without shenanigans, has a crappy skill list, and doesn't offer a bonus feat. I may just have to wait until I can take Wild Talent to take Up the Walls, but if anyone knows an alternative, I'm all ears.

RTGoodman
2011-03-04, 01:04 AM
I'm not aware of any way to buy the ability with gold, but would your DM be willing to houserule the feat with certain OTHER requirements? Maybe Climb 8 ranks, Jump 8 ranks or something like that?

GhoulPolitician
2011-03-04, 01:08 AM
I am afb at the moment, but savage species rituals seem like they should do the trick.

Thurbane
2011-03-05, 12:51 AM
Yes, the rituals from Savage Species seem like the best bet, short of inheriting a template (if there are inherited templates that grant the Psionic subtype).

There is no listed ritual to gain the Psionic subtype, but the closest would seem either Ritual of Association (56,000 gp), or Ritual of the Elements (36,000 gp).

Iceheart2112
2011-03-05, 02:01 AM
Wild Talent give you 2pp, which means that you're able to become psionically focused. Depending on your DM, you might be able to retrain into it so as not to wait for another feat slot to roll around. Past that...I got nothing.

Thurbane
2011-03-05, 02:09 AM
You could approach your DM about a custom item that grants the Wild Talent feat while worn. There is plenty of precedent for feat grating items (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/ASMoNM/feats.html), and letting them qualify as a feat or PrC prereq...

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-05, 02:16 PM
The item Nimblestep from Lost Empires of Faerun grants the feats Psychic Meditation and Up the Walls to a psionic character. Since I'm assuming you were willing to spend a feat on Up the Walls, you should be fine taking Wild Talent and getting Nimblestep.

true_shinken
2011-03-05, 02:40 PM
There is a skill trick similar to Up the Walls in Complete Scoundrel.