PDA

View Full Version : Holes In My Campagin

Milo v3
2011-03-04, 02:17 AM
Every DM knows that no matter what the players will think about how to do something in a completely different way you did. So players make stuff up that you hadn't thought of.
I'm now using that logic with my campagin setting. I have been putting it on D&D Wiki recently and realised that if people ask about things I never thought of and added it to my campaign it would make it all the more realistic and have more depth.

So here a link to the Campaign (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Blades_Of_Keran_(3.5e_Campaign_Setting)).

Please ask any questions. Even if I haven't gotten to putting the details on the site, I will answer it as I think it will probably help. It doesn't matter what questions are asked they will be answered. Also if anyone notices a problem with the campaign please tell me. Thanks.

Mayhem
2011-03-04, 06:58 PM
Love the Sarli, and your lizardfolk. The races seem balanced except for the thri-ranx.

You should note under equipment what weapon groups each class gets. Also 50gp seems pretty sad for a fighter. Under thrown weapons you missed out throwing hammers, whether accident or design I don't know, and exotic light blades is looking pretty sad so maybe add punching daggers into it? I realise puncing daggers are already part of another group, oh and how are proficiencies learned? Through weapon groups or through the PHB standard fashion?

I haven't got into geography or history yet, so no comment on that yet sorry.

Milo v3
2011-03-04, 07:56 PM
Love the Sarli, and your lizardfolk. The races seem balanced except for the thri-ranx.

You should note under equipment what weapon groups each class gets. Also 50gp seems pretty sad for a fighter. Under thrown weapons you missed out throwing hammers, whether accident or design I don't know, and exotic light blades is looking pretty sad so maybe add punching daggers into it? I realise puncing daggers are already part of another group, oh and how are proficiencies learned? Through weapon groups or through the PHB standard fashion?

I haven't got into geography or history yet, so no comment on that yet sorry.

Firstly thank you for the input:smallbiggrin:

Races
Sarli, lizardfolk, and Thr-Ranx are actually races made by other people on the site that I have edited, balanced and changed to fit into my setting. But thanks none the less. :smallsmile:

Thri-Ranx
What do you find unbalanced? Is it overpowered or underpowered?

WeaponsI think thats about right now. It doesn't look the best. But its fixed. Thanks for telling me.

Fighter Money
Fixed

Geography & History
It itself hasn't been finished. I have put down the General Geographic information and the first era of history on the site. But nothing else (So far).

Mayhem
2011-03-04, 08:22 PM
Thri-ranx have quite a few features that are quite strong for a level adjustment +0 race. Specifically unbalanced ability scores, their multiple limbs, natural armour, and also because they gain so many skill point etc bonuses. This would make them easily a LA+1 races, if not LA+2. The whole bleeding out thing somewhat offsets them, but I don't think it offsets them enough to warrant LA+0 and it also makes them awkward player characters assuming you allow them that is. Maybe they only bleed out on a critical hit, or maybe if they fail a fort save? Well a playtest will soon tell you if it works or not. I do like the fluff for bleeding out, makes them creepier.

The class starter money is just flavour and personal taste really, so if you don't wan't fighters to afford armour and weapons, that's up to you. But I think it's pretty good how it is now.

Milo v3
2011-03-04, 08:39 PM
Thri-ranx have quite a few features that are quite strong for a level adjustment +0 race. Specifically unbalanced ability scores, their multiple limbs, natural armour, and also because they gain so many skill point etc bonuses. This would make them easily a LA+1 races, if not LA+2. The whole bleeding out thing somewhat offsets them, but I don't think it offsets them enough to warrant LA+0 and it also makes them awkward player characters assuming you allow them that is. Maybe they only bleed out on a critical hit, or maybe if they fail a fort save? Well a playtest will soon tell you if it works or not. I do like the fluff for bleeding out, makes them creepier.

The class starter money is just flavour and personal taste really, so if you don't wan't fighters to afford armour and weapons, that's up to you. But I think it's pretty good how it is now.

I've edited the Thri-Ranx to try and fix it. Another penality of the Thri-Ranx is its breathing. As it breaths through holes in its chest it can't survive in chest high water (Or anything that could stop air flow).

wayfare
2011-03-04, 09:12 PM
I really like what you've done with the geography section!

A question: Is there any significance to the seasons and the moons? Do the moons have any effect on the seasons (intensifying or limiting their effects)?

While I like the inclusion of negative and positive seasons, though you might want to space them out a bit. Air earth and fire feel very much like "winter" seasons, times where its hard to do stuff/leave your home/plant. Negative could find a home anywhere in that period.

Water and wood seem more friendly for harvest, and positive could be stuck right between them (water revives the earth, leading to positive, leading to wood).

But, changes or no, you've dome some great work with that section. Keep it up!

Qwertystop
2011-03-04, 09:21 PM
Thri-Ranx? Seriously? :smallwink:

You adding a Commonwealth next?

(Yeah, I know where you got the idea. Never thought I'd see it in D&D though.)

This. Is. GREAT.

Milo v3
2011-03-04, 09:26 PM
I really like what you've done with the geography section!

A question: Is there any significance to the seasons and the moons? Do the moons have any effect on the seasons (intensifying or limiting their effects)?

While I like the inclusion of negative and positive seasons, though you might want to space them out a bit. Air earth and fire feel very much like "winter" seasons, times where its hard to do stuff/leave your home/plant. Negative could find a home anywhere in that period.

Water and wood seem more friendly for harvest, and positive could be stuck right between them (water revives the earth, leading to positive, leading to wood).

But, changes or no, you've dome some great work with that section. Keep it up!

The moons have to do with magic and have nothing to do with the season's or tides.

I hadn't actually put much thought on the order of the seasons. I actually wrote them in alphabetical order (Air, Earth, Fire, Positive, ect.).

Thri-Ranx? Seriously? :smallwink:

You adding a Commonwealth next?

(Yeah, I know where you got the idea. Never thought I'd see it in D&D though.)

This. Is. GREAT.

What?:smallconfused:

I don't know what your talking about? What? Where did I get the idea?

Qwertystop
2011-03-04, 09:39 PM
What?:smallconfused:

I don't know what your talking about? What? Where did I get the idea?

Did you copy the race from somewhere else? Look up the Thranx in the Humanx Commonwealth series by Alan Dean Foster.

Here's a link: Thranx (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thranx#Thranx)

You got the head shape, the truhands, the foothands, the breathing spicules, wings that don't give flight, color, logical personality, name structure, language that includes gestures, preferred environment, open circulatory system... the only difference that isn't setting-specific is the number of trulegs.

This is either a very good D&D adaptation or the oddest coincidence ever.:smalleek:

Milo v3
2011-03-04, 09:51 PM
Thri-Ranx wasn't made by me. It was made by another person on the wiki. They were proably based of the Thranx. I just edited, changed, and made it suit the campaign.

I never heard of Thranx's before today. Maybe I should change a few things.

Lyndworm
2011-03-04, 10:48 PM
Maybe you should call them Tor-Kreen, then. They're a civilized version of the Thri-Kreen from the old Dark Sun campaign.

Milo v3
2011-03-04, 11:03 PM
Maybe you should call them Tor-Kreen, then. They're a civilized version of the Thri-Kreen from the old Dark Sun campaign.

I have edited the Thri-Ranx now to try and make it not breech copyright. I also edited it to make it more balanced. Say hello to the Ranx.

Mayhem
2011-03-05, 05:03 PM
In the marshshadow lizardfolk description it mentions they have a powerful bite capable of crushing bone. How about a bite as a natural primary attack, say 1d4? I'd fit the fluff and flavour well IMHO.

As for the Ranx, I liked how they could use their extra limbs as legs. I'm not sure what the balance of speed is though. I'll work through savage species to see if I can figure it out.

Milo v3
2011-03-05, 05:22 PM
In the marshshadow lizardfolk description it mentions they have a powerful bite capable of crushing bone. How about a bite as a natural primary attack, say 1d4? I'd fit the fluff and flavour well IMHO.

As for the Ranx, I liked how they could use their extra limbs as legs. I'm not sure what the balance of speed is though. I'll work through savage species to see if I can figure it out.

The reason I cut the extra legs was because to realistically use the arms as extra legs they would have to crouch constantly. I think I'll use the Bite though. I'd be happy to add the legs part back in if we could balance it.

Lyndworm
2011-03-05, 05:31 PM
The reason I cut the extra legs was because to realistically use the arms as extra legs they would have to crouch constantly.

Well, I think the issue with that comes from thinking of them in human terms. As an insectile species they may likely have far more flexibility in their abdominal region than us. I have no problem seeing them "crouch" like that for long periods of time.

I'd be happy to add the legs part back in if we could balance it.

I didn't see where it was that big a problem. For most builds extra legs would be inferior to extra arms, anyway. In one of the Dragon Magazines there was a race called the Gruwaar; they had a similar ability allowing them to use all of their four limbs for locomotion, changing their speed from 30ft to 40ft.

Mayhem
2011-03-05, 05:40 PM
True, it would be really awkward to move like that. Could gain a bonus to jump, balance, and against bullrush/trip while using 4 legs though.

The extra pair of arms and the natural armour still make them really good arcane casters, although you do have other races with nice caster goodies.

Milo v3
2011-03-05, 05:49 PM
Well, I think the issue with that comes from thinking of them in human terms. As an insectile species they may likely have far more flexibility in their abdominal region than us. I have no problem seeing them "crouch" like that for long periods of time.

I more meant how to use the "arms" as legs they would need to significantly lower themselves. But I guess your right. Back in they go.

The natural armor is supposed to offset the bleeding. I must admit I never realised how well the Ranx would do as a caster.

Anything else that should be changed in the races section?

Mayhem
2011-03-05, 06:34 PM
I just noticed that adding 10ft to your move speed grants you a +4 bonus to jump checks, so you might want to note that the bonus to jump doesn't stack with the increased speed.

Aasimar: They get any spell of 3rd level or lower as a bonus spell. That's pretty good, maybe you should make a small list of spells to choose from instead.

Tiefling: It says aasimar in the racial traits section heh. What does the feat fiendish heritage do? Or, what book is it from if you didn't homebrew it?

Milo v3
2011-03-05, 06:54 PM
I just noticed that adding 10ft to your move speed grants you a +4 bonus to jump checks, so you might want to note that the bonus to jump doesn't stack with the increased speed.

Aasimar: They get any spell of 3rd level or lower as a bonus spell. That's pretty good, maybe you should make a small list of spells to choose from instead.

Tiefling: It says aasimar in the racial traits section heh. What does the feat fiendish heritage do? Or, what book is it from if you didn't homebrew it?

Fixed Tiefling. Your right about the Aasimar. How about this the Aasimar chooses a domain and they get a 3rd level or lower spell from that specific domain.

Amridell
2011-03-05, 06:54 PM
I noticed that there are no rules for drunkness. This needs a structure, as I have some players who are constantly getting drunk. Sadly, this incidently leads to the boucer coming over, and then *I* have to take control of the character.

I'm thinking like, 50% chace of wandering randomly, 10% chance of attacking the closest creature or object, and per se, 40% of losing your action. Then also -4 to all attack rolls, Intellegence based skills are an impossibility, and 1d4-1d6 wisdom damage. DC for the save depends on the alchohol strength.

Milo v3
2011-03-05, 07:10 PM
I noticed that there are no rules for drunkness. This needs a structure, as I have some players who are constantly getting drunk. Sadly, this incidently leads to the boucer coming over, and then *I* have to take control of the character.

I'm thinking like, 50% chace of wandering randomly, 10% chance of attacking the closest creature or object, and per se, 40% of losing your action. Then also -4 to all attack rolls, Intellegence based skills are an impossibility, and 1d4-1d6 wisdom damage. DC for the save depends on the alchohol strength.

Is this a request to add this to my campaign setting or a :smallconfused: something else?

Lyndworm
2011-03-05, 07:15 PM

It should still add +4. Logic dictates that having extra legs (without extra weight) to push off with extra force would make it easier to jump. Beyond that, it would be the only speed boost in the entire game that doesn't give a Jump bonus, which is just weird.

Milo v3
2011-03-05, 07:26 PM
I must admit that I don't truely understand the Jump skill well. From my understanding it uses your current speed. If the Ranx is running and going at 160 feet per turn if not encumbered at all. I don't think it needs an extra bonus.

Your logic is correct though. So should I add it or not?

Lyndworm
2011-03-05, 07:32 PM
I must admit that I don't truely understand the Jump skill well. From my understanding it uses your current speed. If the Ranx is running and going at 160 feet per turn if not encumbered at all. I don't think it needs an extra bonus.

Your logic is correct though. So should I add it or not?

I wouldn't add it explicitly, it's simply implied. I only know of one item in all of the printed material that explicitly states it improves your Jump ability, the (Epic item) Boots of Swiftness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsofSwiftness).

Milo v3
2011-03-05, 07:43 PM
I wouldn't add it explicitly, it's simply implied. I only know of one item in all of the printed material that explicitly states it improves your Jump ability, the (Epic item) Boots of Swiftness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsofSwiftness).

It has the bonus to jump already even if its not stated because of speed (I think). Now if we add a racial +4 to jump aswell to it I think it heavily out way the weak hands.

If you disagree I'll add the (Extra legs) +4 to jump along with the implied (extra speed) +4 to jump.

Lyndworm
2011-03-05, 07:54 PM
I hadn't realized that the Racial +4 was explicitly due to being able to use their extra legs. I assumed they were simply natural jumpers like (their formerly implied cousins) the Thri-Kreen, who have a +30 Racial bonus to Jump checks.

From a logical standpoint, you simply shouldn't get the same bonus twice. So if the only reason they have a Racial bonus is due to the legs, they shouldn't have that bonus at all.

Milo v3
2011-03-05, 08:13 PM
So is everything fine for races then?

Mayhem
2011-03-05, 10:02 PM
Whether or not the +4 jump bonus stacks with the +4 from speed, you have 2 races iirc that get +10 to jump from wings at level 1 so up to you.

Limiting an aasimar's SLA to a specific domain would work. Sun, good, protection and healing fit thematically and aren't very strong since they're mostly passive/utility, and you might have celestial ancestors that have different domains associated with them.

Milo v3
2011-03-05, 10:37 PM
Limiting an aasimar's SLA to a specific domain would work. Sun, good, protection and healing fit thematically and aren't very strong since they're mostly passive/utility, and you might have celestial ancestors that have different domains associated with them.

Not only the "Good" Domains are going to be available. Their are Aasimars of Evil gods and chaotic gods and lawful gods.

Mayhem
2011-03-05, 10:47 PM
Ah cool your aasimar's sound more interesting than the current ones. I hope to see more fluff on aasimars and tieflings soon :smallwink:.

Milo v3
2011-03-05, 11:43 PM
I'm currently adding the maps now. And I'll begin udpating the Aasimar and Tiefling afterwards.

Milo v3
2011-04-18, 01:07 AM
I've heavily Updated the setting. Any feed back on it now?

Also I would like to give feed back on Mayham's system (If he is fine with it).

Note: I know this is Double Posting and one day after Thread Necromancy takes affect but I think it should be fine to restart this thread.

Mayhem
2011-04-18, 05:18 PM
Double posting is( usually) posting twice in a row within 48 hours, or as specified within the forum rules( some have 76 hours etc), so you're good on that front. Posting after that time is just bumping basically. And on this board the necromancy/posting rules are looser than other boards to facilitate ease of use :smallwink:.

You've changed the contents page( but I saw that weeks ago), added an entry on each god, and prettied up some pages. What else have I missed?
You've got a god for basically everything, with a brief summary of each of them with enough info for long term play, so that's pretty sweet. Yeah, I think as it stands your setting is easily a dandwiki 4/5 for amount of information as it stands, if not 5/5.

Milo v3
2011-04-18, 06:55 PM
Those last parts meant a lot.
Back to work:
Keran

I started the Binders List of effects of Binding (It is going to take along time).
Added the Familiar Stone into the Equipment Section (Its in the Adventuring Gear Section).
The Player Magic Page has spells that have been changed and new spells for the setting.
Finished Geography (I think).
Added for Cities.
Started on the New Creatures and Creature Changes.
I don't plan on finishing the Third Era until I've finished writing my novel (as it is the history of what happens and it may change)
I will write the end of the second era when we finish the PbP game (Gnomes Vs. Kobolds as it might change history).

Blashyyrk

It has a good amount of crunch (Most of it directly form SRD). I love how you made the Mage specialize in elements instead of schools. Also how they don't get the Familiar until 3rd level. I've never played a Game in a E6 world but I probably will now.

I like how there is three types of human. The Jotunkin seem great (Fluff wise and Crunch Wise) I would like to play one just because they are outcasts.
Also correct me if I'm wrong but Dwarves and Halfings are subraces of Gnomes.

Their isn't much fluff on the world and its mainly crunch.

Dust
2011-04-18, 08:29 PM
How are the Golems of Ragna operated? Is there anything stopping the PCs from taking full control of an army of constructs?

Milo v3
2011-04-18, 08:37 PM
How are the Golems of Ragna operated? Is there anything stopping the PCs from taking full control of an army of constructs?

Binders create them and tell them what to do. As Binders are very common in Durzite Society this allows them to have many golems at their whim.

And for the army question; that depends, are they creating the Golems or Someone else? If they create it then yes they can but it would cost tonnes of money to create that many golems.

Lhurgyof
2011-04-18, 11:31 PM

The bleeding out thing could completely WRECK them. Especially at low levels.

It's per wound, mind you.

Milo v3
2011-04-18, 11:49 PM
The bleeding out thing could completely WRECK them. Especially at low levels.

It's per wound, mind you.

Thats why I gave the Natural Armor and extra limbs, Compound Eyes, ect.

The Ranx have great benefits but two fatal Flaws (Bleeding and Breathing).

Lhurgyof
2011-04-19, 12:45 AM
Thats why I gave the Natural Armor and extra limbs, Compound Eyes, ect.

The Ranx have great benefits but two fatal Flaws (Bleeding and Breathing).

Well, seeing as their armor costs double and they rarely wear more than medium, the AC won't be too much higher.

If you want them to have fatal flaws, that's great. I was just saying that they weren't even close to LA +1 in my book, in reply to Mayhem.

I personally wouldn't play one, because multiple foes or creatures with multiple attacks would completely wreck one.

Milo v3
2011-04-19, 01:04 AM
I updated the Ranx a two months ago to fix the LA problem so its no longer a +1. It used to have amazingly good ability scores (Which caused it to have +1 LA).

And now its "kind of" balanced.

Mayhem
2011-04-19, 01:07 AM
They're different now than when I wrote that, it was a long time ago( don't recall exactly how different though). Now they look pretty balanced.

edit: ninja'd