PDA

View Full Version : overpowered weapons.

kiryoku
2011-03-04, 02:52 AM
i just found this in Eberron campaign setting book (pg120)

Sharrash Talenta 1d10 19–20/×4 10 lb. Slashing Reach weapon two-handed

and it seems a little overpowered next to most weapons.

LordBlades
2011-03-04, 02:58 AM

It's been errata-ed (to 19-20/x2 IIRC)

FelixG
2011-03-04, 03:04 AM
Yet another case of Melee not being allowed to have nice things..

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-03-04, 03:14 AM
It has a comma in there, so the last name is first, it's a Talenta Sharrash, sort of like writing Waraxe, Dwarven. There was errata on ECS to make it 19-20/x2, but afterward it was reprinted in some other eberron book as once again 19-20/x4. So the most recent source leaves it as-is. It can also be used to make trip attacks. You have to invest in Exotic Weapon Proficiency to use it, a good investment I'd think.

Talenta Sharrash is 1d10 medium, 19-20/x4, reach, exotic, can be used to trip.

The Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer in MMIV is 1d12 medium, 19-20/x4, exotic, +2 to sunder a weapon or shield.

Thunderlance in Spell Compendium can be made Persistent via Incantatrix or Naenhoon, threatens everywhere from adjacent out to 20 ft., 3d6 damage, 20/x3, gets your casting stat (Int or Cha) instead of Str to attack and damage (still x1.5 for two-handed), can be used to Power Attack, and gets a free dispel attempt against any force effect of 3rd level or lower on a target it hits, such as Shield or (Greater) Mage Armor.

kiryoku
2011-03-04, 03:17 AM
wait so its still allowed wow that is a big oversight. that hammers awesome too.

ffone
2011-03-04, 03:19 AM
Yet another case of Melee not being allowed to have nice things..

It's not that allowing the weapon makes melee too good....it's just, that, if you have one weapon which is so much better than the others, everyone will use it, which reduces variety of characters and is just boring.

It's like the Pouncebarian dip - it's not that those characters break the games I DM, I'm just sick of reading about people's lion tribe upbringings and never seeing Lawful melee'ers anymore.

Or the Belt of Battle. Four PCs meet in a tavern, all wearing the same magic belt.

(In this case, most meleers probably still won't spare the Exotic Weapon Prof. feat, but there are a lot of other things which do become ubiquitous.)

kiryoku
2011-03-04, 03:22 AM
i see your point.

Amnestic
2011-03-04, 03:30 AM
Or the Belt of Battle. Four PCs meet in a tavern, all wearing the same magic belt.

Just because you don't follow the latest fashions in Adventurer's Weekly doesn't mean everyone else doesn't :smallwink: We have to look our best when slaying monsters!

Doc Roc
2011-03-04, 03:34 AM
Just because you don't follow the latest fashions in Adventurer's Weekly doesn't mean everyone else doesn't :smallwink: We have to look our best when slaying monsters!

Are you kidding?

I once had a character who wore nothing but belts of battle. When she expended one, she'd unbuckle it via quick release. Needless to say, I wasn't really allowed to play her for more than a round. But it was glorious. And so chic.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-03-04, 03:34 AM
It's not that allowing the weapon makes melee too good....it's just, that, if you have one weapon which is so much better than the others, everyone will use it, which reduces variety of characters and is just boring.

It's like the Pouncebarian dip - it's not that those characters break the games I DM, I'm just sick of reading about people's lion tribe upbringings and never seeing Lawful melee'ers anymore.

Wild Shape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) 1 gets Barbarian Fast Movement, which could conceivably be traded for the Lion Totem Pounce. In this case it would be more of a lion emulation, and not due to any specific culture or character background. Plus it has no alignment restrictions, and gives a ton more skill points and class skills starting out.

As for the Belt of Battle, just limit the availability of multiples of the same item. For example, say that magic runs through the setting like a signal or current, and each item taps into that current at a different frequency. More than one item in close proximity at the same frequency will prevent the other from working, so neither would function. Bland bonus items like ability score boosting items, Rings of Protection, Cloak of Resistance, etc. would be excluded from this, as well as magical armor and weapons with just enhancement bonuses. This would also prevent Night Stick cheese.

If that 'best weapon' was a martial weapon, then sure everyone would be using it. Most combat-focused characters I've played who took EWP picked a one-handed exotic weapon to dip Exotic Weapon Master for Uncanny Blow. Besides, any Kukri, Scimitar, or Falchion made from Kaorti Resin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) would get 18-20/x4, and be considered an exotic weapon.

FelixG
2011-03-04, 03:37 AM
Are you kidding?

I once had a character who wore nothing but belts of battle. When she expended one, she'd unbuckle it via quick release. Needless to say, I wasn't really allowed to play her for more than a round. But it was glorious. And so chic.

So she was like dante...but had a reason to have a billion belts :P

Eldan
2011-03-04, 03:45 AM
Now we finally know why 3.Xs iconic sorcerer (Henneth?) dresses the way he does. He isn't (just) a leather fetishist.

ffone
2011-03-04, 03:46 AM
Wild Shape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) 1 gets Barbarian Fast Movement, which could conceivably be traded for the Lion Totem Pounce. In this case it would be more of a lion emulation, and not due to any specific culture or character background. Plus it has no alignment restrictions, and gives a ton more skill points and class skills starting out.

As for the Belt of Battle, just limit the availability of multiples of the same item. For example, say that magic runs through the setting like a signal or current, and each item taps into that current at a different frequency. More than one item in close proximity at the same frequency will prevent the other from working, so neither would function. Bland bonus items like ability score boosting items, Rings of Protection, Cloak of Resistance, etc. would be excluded from this, as well as magical armor and weapons with just enhancement bonuses. This would also prevent Night Stick cheese.

If that 'best weapon' was a martial weapon, then sure everyone would be using it. Most combat-focused characters I've played who took EWP picked a one-handed exotic weapon to dip Exotic Weapon Master for Uncanny Blow. Besides, any Kukri, Scimitar, or Falchion made from Kaorti Resin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) would get 18-20/x4, and be considered an exotic weapon.

...and yet, we still see a preponderance of certain build elements like the Pouncebarian, which gets boring. I'm not saying they ARE the most optimal build elements or that there is no way to achieve similar effects, or no way to houserule them away. Just that when you don't have good balance, you'll see a reduction in variety, which is cheesy and boring (and as a DM I'd rather not keep track of a bunch of house rules, which my players will dislike me for,to deal with it.)

On a reverse note, the "Casters >>>>> noncasters" mantra has never bugged me, simply b/c I haven't seen everyone gravitate to playing a caster on my games (or the casters, in fact, running circles around the others.) In other words, I was talking more about what I see in practice (the annoying-in-practice effects of bad balance) than what's theoretically correct.

awa
2011-03-04, 07:23 AM
katoria resin is supposed to be limited by fluff reasons

LordBlades
2011-03-04, 07:27 AM
katoria resin is supposed to be limited by fluff reasons

It's only limited until the level PCs acquire the necessary spells to find Kaorti. If there are Kaorti in the campaign world, it's only a matter of time until PCs acquire Kaorti resin.

Gullintanni
2011-03-04, 08:06 AM
Most overpowered weapon? CoDzilla. :smallsmile:

BadJuJu
2011-03-04, 10:20 AM
DMM Persist

SurlySeraph
2011-03-04, 10:37 AM

If you want law, you could ask them to switching out for Cloistered Cleric with the Knowledge and Law domains. I've seen and made lots of those.

Are you kidding?

http://media.photobucket.com/image/skirt%20made%20out%20of%20belts/kuvikia_02/Lulu.jpg

Shademan
2011-03-04, 10:55 AM

what the flying dutchman is a "Sharrash Talenta"?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-03-04, 11:41 AM

It's Sharrash, Talenta, I already pointed out that it has a comma in it so the last name is first, like saying Waraxe, Dwarven. A Talenta Sharrash is in the Eberron Campaign Setting and at least one other Eberron book, it looks like a straight polearm with a scythe blade at the end.

DEMON
2011-03-04, 11:41 AM

Talenta Sharrash could be described as a scythe with reach. But only used for slashing. And keen. And with a slightly different damage output.

Edit: Run for your lives, there are ninja assassins everywhere!

Shademan
2011-03-04, 11:46 AM
so its a warscythe...
we allready have stats for those...ow...my brain

Sith_Happens
2011-03-05, 07:06 AM
So she was like dante...but had a reason to have a billion belts :P

Actually, she sounds more like Bayonetta, just with belts instead of hair.

Prime32
2011-03-05, 08:13 AM
so its a warscythe...
we allready have stats for those...ow...my brain
It's a sharrash, from a place called Talenta.

Yora
2011-03-05, 08:39 AM
Actually, she sounds more like Bayonetta, just with belts instead of hair.

More like Lulu from Final Fantasy X:
http://www.gameinformer.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/7024.lulu_2D00_final_2D00_fantasy_2D00_x.jpg
THAT's a lot of belts.

Spiryt
2011-03-05, 08:44 AM
http://www.gameinformer.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/7024.lulu_2D00_final_2D00_fantasy_2D00_x.jpg
THAT's a lot of belts.

She looks like she had just lost 180 pounds. :smallcool:

Shademan
2011-03-05, 09:01 AM
It's a sharrash, from a place called Talenta.

but judging by the description it is just a scythe

KnightDisciple
2011-03-05, 09:58 AM
but judging by the description it is just a scytheKind of like how a rapier is just a sword?

Sith_Happens
2011-03-07, 06:14 AM
THAT's a lot of belts.

Huh, took me a while to notice.:smalltongue: