PDA

View Full Version : force weapons

Seth62
2011-03-04, 08:03 AM
Okay so force is by far the best energy, but are there any weapon enchantments or items / spells that bestow force on a weapon or provide force weapons. (beside magic missile )

Eldan
2011-03-04, 08:04 AM
There is indeed one, for bows, in the MIC. None for melee, as far as I know.

GodGoblin
2011-03-04, 08:08 AM
There is a Reserve feat in Complete Mage, Adds force damage equal to the level of the highest force spell you have prepared to any weapon you are wielding.

Its not much but its constant if I remember correctly

Seth62
2011-03-04, 08:34 AM
thanks, I am doing to kill some ghosts now :smallsmile:

Thurbane
2011-03-04, 08:39 AM
Not melee, but there is also the ridonkulously good Hank's Energy Bow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a) (from the cartoon series).

Base 2d6 force damage plus STR mod, unlimited missiles of force, and ranged Power Attack. AFAIK, this is THE must have bow...if your DM will allow it.

Coidzor
2011-03-04, 09:13 AM
Okay so force is by far the best energy, but are there any weapon enchantments or items / spells that bestow force on a weapon or provide force weapons. (beside magic missile )

Well, a shield is also a weapon and can be made of riverine (that is, walls of force around a core of water from the ocean floor... so walls of force). I believe it's less expensive to get a buckler and enchant it so it can become a light/heavy/tower shield than it is to buy a riverine light/heavy shield for bashing with.

Riverine is a material from Stormwrack, I believe.

Darrin
2011-03-04, 03:53 PM
Well, a shield is also a weapon and can be made of riverine (that is, walls of force around a core of water from the ocean floor... so walls of force). I believe it's less expensive to get a buckler and enchant it so it can become a light/heavy/tower shield than it is to buy a riverine light/heavy shield for bashing with.

Riverine is a material from Stormwrack, I believe.

It does't have to be a shield. You can make any weapon out of riverine for 2000 GP per pound. A buckler is 5 lbs, but there's a separate costs for shields, a flat +4000 GP. So, technically, a riverine tower shield would cost the same as a buckler. I apparently missed this detail when I worked up my Flying Variable Sizing Riverine Buckler/Tower Shield +1 of Orbital Gelatinous Carpet-Bombing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10294124&postcount=5), it should cost 21165 GP, not 27165 GP.

Actually, I think I prefer using this trick on a spiked guantlet +1, which only weighs 1 lb. (+2000 GP for riverine). Turns it into a combination mage hand/un-unseen servant that is nigh indestructable (even moreso as a Spellblade) and can attack.

Another way to turn all your melee attacks into force attacks:

Shape Soulmeld: Crystal Helm + Open Least Chakra: Crown.

Psyren
2011-03-04, 04:20 PM
As I mentioned in the DR thread, Shadowsmiths can make weapons and armor out of force as well - free of charge - using the adaptation on ToM pg. 135.

Thurbane
2011-03-04, 07:33 PM
It does't have to be a shield. You can make any weapon out of riverine for 2000 GP per pound. A buckler is 5 lbs, but there's a separate costs for shields, a flat +4000 GP. So, technically, a riverine tower shield would cost the same as a buckler.
Don't Tower Shields have to be made of wood, not metal?

Zaq
2011-03-04, 07:47 PM
The Psychokinetic weapon enhancement adds a d4 of force to your attack. Doesn't turn the whole thing into force (it's basically Flaming, only with force), but you can always at least scratch a ghost.

Kantolin
2011-03-04, 10:40 PM
Don't Tower Shields have to be made of wood, not metal?

The Races of Stone, page 158, has Steel Tower Shields.

That may or may not work, I suppose, as it does say 'Steel', but most other metallic things are similar. :P

Paul H
2011-03-09, 11:08 AM
Hi

Force Weapon Spells:

1) Magic Missile, (Tenser's Floating Disk), (Mage Armour), (Shield)
2) Spiritual Wpn,
3) Chain Missile (SpC), (Leomund's Tiny Hut), (Mass Mage Armour), (Gtr Mage Armour)
4) Orb of Force (SpC), Force Claw (SpC), Force Missiles (SpC), Forcewave (SpC), Sword of Deception (SpC), Otilukes Resilient Sphere
5) Bigby's Interposing Hand, (Wall of Force)
6) Blade Barrier, Bigby's Forceful Hand
7) Bigby's Grasping Hand
8) Bigby's Clenched Fist
9) Bigby's Crushing Hand

The ones in brackets aren't attacking or weapon spells, but do have a combat use.

Thanks
Paul H

Suichimo
2011-03-09, 11:34 PM
If 3.0 material is allowed, not sure if A&EG was updated to 3.5, there is the Force enchantment in that. Definitely a different property than the one in MIC(Different wording/bonus/abilities/etc.) so I wouldn't imagine it would be too hard to get your DM to agree to use it.

Tokiko Mima
2011-03-10, 05:01 AM
If all your looking for is force damage on all melee attacks, then you can do that easily with either two levels in Incarnate, or two feats (Open Least Chakra[crown] and Shape Soulmeld[Crystal Helm]).

It works especially well with Hellfire Glaivelocks, by the way. :smallbiggrin:

Lyndworm
2011-03-10, 05:18 AM
I suggest the spell Thunderlance from the Spell Compendium. It has a duration of 1 round/level and deals 3d6+Int or Cha force damage with a 20/x3 crit. Also, it grows and/or shrinks at will, giving up to 20ft reach. It even has a bonus effect I won't go into for legal purposes.

It's pretty much the best melee weapon in the game for gishes, unless you really want an Enchantment.

only1doug
2011-03-10, 09:11 AM
If its just needed for hitting ethereal (like ghosts) there is a pair of gloves in the magic item compendium (ghost touch gauntlets) that grants ghost touch to all your spells and melee attacks (I think there is also a shawl of some kind that has the same effect too).

Then you can have your full weapon damage instead of just the d4 from the force effect.

hamishspence
2011-03-10, 11:38 AM
Psychokinetic and Psychokinetic Burst might possibly qualify:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#psychokinetic

while the damage is referred to as "ectoplasmic in nature, and so not affected by damage reduction" the base power to create them is a power that does force damage.

Does MIC have them in as well?