PDA

View Full Version : Wilding Drakes

NeverSleep
2011-03-04, 10:03 AM
Plan,

To build 4 ages of something called Wilding Drakes.

They inhabit a tropical climate. They are most physically powerful in adolescence, and less so in older ages. They grow weaker, but more wise and intelligent.

There is also a template I want to use "War Queen". Females are more aggressive than males in this breed. Bump physical stats, and controls other wilding drakes.

I want to adrress the adolescent here. Going for CR maybe 7-8 SOLO(3.5 rules)

STR: 28
Dex: 26
Con: 30
Int: 12
Wis: 14
Cha: 8

Movements
Walk 40, Climb 40, Swim 20

Saves: as Lv. 7 fighter plus stats

Full attack
Bite D6+Str(9) +15mod
4 claws +13, +11, +9, +7 D4+9
if two or more claws hit, rend for d4+9

Some questions

What would be appropriate Hit points/Die for this guy?
Any suggestions for feats? I want her to be a war machine and similar in style to a barbarian, going into blood rage for mating and fighting. Stealthy otherwise.

What am I missing from this stat bloc?

Do the stats seem to high?

The group is 7th level 3-4 characters tiers 2-4

Thanks for your help asap, as I'm playing the first camp with this guy today.

Land Outcast
2011-03-04, 03:46 PM
Well, first:
What type is it? that will determine its HD size, skills, attack bonus, and saves

If it has saves "as a seventh level fighter" it will be because it has 7 HD, for the moment let's say it's a magical beast (which actually has better saves, as a Ranger*) with 7 HD (d10). That would give an average of 108 hp.
Also gives 2+Int skillpoints per HD (x4 at first HD).

*you could always change it so it has only Good Fortitude save, but the type grants this Good Reflexes also.

Medium Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 7d10+70 (108 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 40 feet (8 squares), Climb 40, Swim 20
Armor Class: ?? (+8 Dex, +??), touch ??, flat-footed ??
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+16
Attack: Bite +16 melee (1d6+13)
Full Attack: Bite +16 melee (1d6+13) and 4 claws +14 melee (1d4+9)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft. (10 with bite)
Special Attacks: Rend (1d4+9)
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent
Abilities: Str 28, Dex 26, Con 30, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 8
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +13, Will +4
Skills: Climb +17*, Hide +18, Listen +12, Move Silently +18, Swim +17*
Feats: Multiattack, [Feat], [Feat]

*+8 racial bonus to swim and climb checks (due to movement speeds)

---------

Note: natural attacks don't normally use different attack bonuses, if using more than one natural weapon the secondary gets a "-5" (but the multiattack feat reduces that to a "-2".

I'm in a bit of a hurry, I hope to be able to help later; I'll recommend you compare your mosnter with other melee types at CR 7 and see if it ends up over or underpowered. Remember that for a monster to be a "miniboss" or worthy "solo monster" it must have at least a CR +3/+4 than the party's level.

Chuul:
http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/Monsters.php?ID=159

Chimera:
http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/Monsters.php?ID=157

Zaydos
2011-03-04, 10:17 PM
Well Land Outcast covered the big thing: type. From the name I'd have guessed dragon (BAB = HD, all good saves). Also you're lacking size (looking at damage they deal damage as a medium sized creature).

3.5 doesn't exactly have "solo" creatures, that would more be a CR = party level +2 or +3 monster.

Also if you want it to rage it's a monster it could have rage without the need of a feat or any such ability.

But yeah Land Outcast seems to have covered everything well.