PDA

View Full Version : overpowered wizard spells

_felagund
2011-03-04, 10:50 AM
hey guys,

i want to hear your opinion about overpowered wizard spells, which spells you think rocks and deserves upper levels..

L1:Ray Of Enfeebelment (no saving)
L2:Invisibility (powerfull)
L5:Magic Jar (unlimited possibilities)

Teln
2011-03-04, 10:54 AM
1) Wish

2) Shapechange

3) Gate

Tvtyrant
2011-03-04, 10:56 AM
Reverse Gravity
Mud to Stone/Stone to Mud combo

Keld Denar
2011-03-04, 10:56 AM
All of those spells are fine. RoE is good, but not too good. Its among the upper echelon of 1st level spells along with Grease, but its not too good. Invisibility is decent, but it should be noted that its not absolute. It can still be foiled by a decent spot check (its only DC20 to notice the presence of an invisible creature, even if you can't pinpoint them). It is also of very limited use in combat. Magic Jar is fun, but unfortunately is [Mind Affecting], which is a pretty big draw back. Also, trying to figure out what to dominate can be challenging sometimes.

You missed out on the big ones...Polymorph, [Any] Planar Binding, Shapechange, Gate...

Tyndmyr
2011-03-04, 11:00 AM
Power word pain.

Teln
2011-03-04, 11:11 AM
In my last post, I forgot to mention Time Stop!

Also, obligatory mention of 3.0 Haste (what's the text of that again? My google-fu is weak today).

HunterOfJello
2011-03-04, 11:16 AM
In my last post, I forgot to mention Time Stop!

Also, obligatory mention of 3.0 Haste (what's the text of that again? My google-fu is weak today).

next time search for '3e srd' and take a quick look around the links you get and you'll find other threads with people looking for it and those will likely have links to it. Otherwise, you can return here and click on this 3.0e SRD link (http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/srd.html).

Haste
Transmutation
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
The transmuted creature moves and acts more quickly than normal. This extra speed has several effects.
On its turn, the subject may take an extra partial action, either before or after its regular action.
The subject gains a +4 haste bonus to AC. The subject loses this bonus whenever it would lose a dodge bonus.
The subject can jump one and a half times as far as normal. This increase counts as an enhancement bonus.
Haste dispels and counters slow

for those who don't know or don't remember:

Partial Action: As a general rule, a character can do as much with a partial action as a character could with a standard action minus a move. Typically, a character may take a 5-foot step as part of a partial action.

So, a Partial Action can include casting spell allowing a Spellcaster to cast twice per round when Hasted. (Or so I'm inferring, since I never played 3e)