PDA

View Full Version : Spells with significant material components[3.5]

gomipile
2011-03-04, 11:58 AM
I just found out about Dweomerkeeper, and it got me thinking as to what spells have significant material components, other than Apocalypse From the Sky.

Tyger
2011-03-04, 12:03 PM
I just found out about Dweomerkeeper, and it got me thinking as to what spells have significant material components, other than Apocalypse From the Sky.

Can you define significant? Does it have to be "artifact" level significant like Apocalypse? Or does the 5K in diamonds for Raise Dead count? What about the XP cost of Wish?

If we have a baseline, you'll probably get a better answer.

gomipile
2011-03-04, 12:32 PM
Can you define significant? Does it have to be "artifact" level significant like Apocalypse? Or does the 5K in diamonds for Raise Dead count? What about the XP cost of Wish?

If we have a baseline, you'll probably get a better answer.

Actually, I meant any useful spell with a component that wouldn't be in a spell component pouch or be eschewable. I suppose there is an implied emphasis on components which would be onerous to expend often, like the ones you mentioned.

lightningcat
2011-03-04, 12:39 PM
You mean any spell with a component over 1 gp? Because thats what eschew material component covers and what is assumed to be in a spell pouch.

dextercorvia
2011-03-04, 12:39 PM
Simulacrum. Not only do you avoid the XP costs, you also don't need the ice, the ruby, or the piece of the creature you want to create. Now to top it off, it no longer takes 12 hours to cast.

That changes it into a combat spell.

gomipile
2011-03-04, 01:08 PM
You mean any spell with a component over 1 gp? Because thats what eschew material component covers and what is assumed to be in a spell pouch.

Yes. Aside from the emphasis on the extreme examples, that is exactly what I mean.

CigarPete
2011-03-04, 02:11 PM
Stoneskin is the one that seems to come up often in my group. 250gp worth of diamond dust for a single cast...

Keld Denar
2011-03-04, 02:28 PM
Force Cage. 1500g per cast! Also, assuming this included things like XP costs, Runedelver's Fortune, Limited Wish, Alter Fortune, Wish, and Miracle are all strong candidates!

gomipile
2011-03-04, 03:31 PM
Force Cage. 1500g per cast! Also, assuming this included things like XP costs, Runedelver's Fortune, Limited Wish, Alter Fortune, Wish, and Miracle are all strong candidates!

I forgot about Force Cage. That would definitely become a staple spell for an arcane Dweomerkeeper.

Tyndmyr
2011-03-04, 05:53 PM
There's also Stone Heart. Yes, the extremely expensive stone heart is technically a focus.

That said, it replaces yours...until it gets destroyed. Going through multiples is not uneasonable.

Yora
2011-03-04, 05:55 PM
All the spells that are listed with a small M in the spell lists.