PDA

View Full Version : baleful polymorph questions

cowsay
2011-03-04, 01:15 PM
Is baleful polymorph really that good for a druid? I've never really been attracted to it as a spell, but lots of people seem to herald it. If it is a good choice, what are some of the ways to optimize its use?

cowsay
2011-03-05, 01:06 PM
A bump to get some interest.

RTGoodman
2011-03-05, 01:17 PM
It's a save-or-die spell, so it's either completely useful or completely wasted. I think it definitely has style, but there are a few problems. First, like every SoD, it's got a good chance of just not working. Not to mention it's Fortitude negates, so most big bad scary monsters will negate it most of the time. Against a low-Fort caster or whatever it might be pretty good though. Incorporeal and gaseous creatures and shapechangers are also outright immune, so depending on the game it's situationally useless there too.

Overall, though, I might take it with a Druid if I thought I'd be facing someone likely to fail their save. But there are also a few other buff and control spells at that level I'd rather have.

Firechanter
2011-03-05, 01:20 PM
Well, look at the spell properties: first a Fort save to see if the target is polymorphed, then if that is failed, a Will save to see if the target loses its mental powers and properties.

So it should work best against Rogues, because they have both bad Fort and Will. So if you ever really want to do something really bad to a rogueish type.

But I think the prime application is still against spellcasters. They also have crappy Fort save, and it doesn't matter so much if they retain their spellcasting abilities, because they will be able to cast only a handful of spells in their new form. Well, the OotS-subplot yonks ago showed that pretty well.

Actually, Baleful Polymorph vs. Spellcasters is extra lulz, figuring that this earthworm is fully aware of its condition and can't do a blessed thing about it. XD

Optimize... well the usual ways to pump the saves I guess. Or on on high levels you can Chain it and with some luck transform a dozen enemies into slugs. :smallbiggrin:

Anxe
2011-03-05, 01:50 PM
Use it on yourself to spy upon your enemies for weeks without having to continual cast the normal polymorph spell.

Firechanter
2011-03-05, 02:01 PM
Unnecessary risk. A Druid gains this spell at 9th level. By the same level, they can Wildshape 3/day for 9 hrs each. So they can remain Wildshaped all day without running the risk of being accidentally squished.

ShriekingDrake
2011-03-05, 04:02 PM
I don't take it often. It is a save or die spell, so it has that going for it and against it. There are, however, a lot of good fifth level spells that, most days, you'll be more likely to prepare: Animal Growth, Bite of the Weretiger, Blizzard, Control Winds, Death Ward, Owl's Insight, and Phantom Stag among them. These are not SoD spells, but they tend to have more utility than Baleful Polymorph. But, on those days where you know you'll be facing the evil wizard antagonist, it could be helpful.

Demidos
2011-03-05, 04:18 PM
Use Enveloping cocoon with it, preferably quickening one of the 2.
Its a reflex based save or die! Yay! You can now use this against musclebound idiots OR enemy casters!