PDA

View Full Version : Invisible Spell + Wall of Stone = a permanent nonmagical invisible thing?

Brock Samson
2011-03-04, 01:30 PM
I just thought of this, since after a few rounds the wall of stone is no longer magical, but the text of invisible spell says that anything you use the spell on becomes invisible right?

So if someone tried to spot it later using Detect Magic would it radiate anything or not? Is it now invisible forever?

What about other tricks with Invisible Spell? (I know there's got to be millions).

Like some way to create permanent undispellable non-magical invisible acid? (ouchie)

Or... creating the damned large conical hat our of invisible material, using Shrink item on it, then if you go into an Anti-Magic Field the hat expands, blocks Line of Effect, but still gives you Line of Sight to spell away at the poor defenseless peoples being affected by the AMF???!!!

Jair Barik
2011-03-04, 01:31 PM
Not sure on the validity of the wall trick. Typicly the invisible spell trick is Solid fog+invisible spell=sucks to have true seeing.

gbprime
2011-03-04, 01:49 PM
No, all effects of the spell are invisible, whatever they are. in this case... you get a permanent invisible wall. (Which can be detected by 3 rounds of concentration with Detect Magic, as per the 3.5 FAQ.)

I'd be more interested to know what happens if you cast an Invisible Fabricate. If the EFFECT is to turn a pile of sticks into a masterwork rocking chair, then is it an invisible chair, or is it a chair that LOOKS like a pile of sticks?

Keld Denar
2011-03-04, 02:12 PM
Put ranks in Craft(Sandwich) and cast Invisible Fabricate to make an...

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/media/images/1030.jpg

Brock Samson
2011-03-04, 02:20 PM
Tibbit wizard ftw???

gomipile
2011-03-04, 02:31 PM
Tibbit wizard ftw???

I think tibbit anything is automatically FTW. I was crowned champion of most ridiculous character concept in my gaming group for Tibbit warlock with Fell Flight as an invocation. The image of a housecat flying around on a cape of darkness, flinging eldritch blasts was too much, apparently. This was considered more ridiculous than my kobold dragonfire inspiration bard with an army of warponies.

Dvandemon
2011-03-04, 02:35 PM
Not sure on the validity of the wall trick. Typicly the invisible spell trick is Solid fog+invisible spell=sucks to have true seeing.Why? Is it blinding?

How about Solid Fog+Invisble Spell + Tornado (any spell that makes one)

Vulaas
2011-03-04, 02:38 PM
I personally enjoy invisible spell with Prismatic Wall and Permanency.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-03-04, 02:39 PM
Why? Is it blinding?

How about Solid Fog+Invisble Spell + Tornado (any spell that makes one)The tornado's winds would disperse the fog.

If you're getting cheesy, Summon X is the usual culprit. If you're getting weird, how about Invisible PAO?

gomipile
2011-03-04, 02:43 PM
The tornado's winds would disperse the fog.

If you're getting cheesy, Summon X is the usual culprit. If you're getting weird, how about Invisible PAO?

If you invisible PAO yourself to look like someone else, do you still get the +10 to your disguise check?

Brock Samson
2011-03-04, 03:15 PM
And if you Invisible PAO yourself into a huge hulking creature, do you still look exactly like yourself???

Necroticplague
2011-03-04, 03:16 PM
Wait, what exactly would invisible PaO do? Would you change your form, but look like you hadn't? Or would you change your form, and turn invisible? Hm....Ding! Invisible Genesis! You create a whole demiplane, but when you enter it, it looks like their's nothing their.

Brock Samson
2011-03-04, 03:19 PM
Welcome to Narnia, here are your See Invisibility goggles...

Alleine
2011-03-04, 03:33 PM
This needs to be more meta. What about invisible invisibility?

Strife Warzeal
2011-03-04, 03:38 PM
This needs to be more meta. What about invisible invisibility?

You are invisible only if they have see invisibility(or equivalent) active?

gbprime
2011-03-04, 03:44 PM
So you're invisible... but only while nobody is watching... ??

http://www.freewebs.com/moviemystery/mysterymen-invisibleboy.jpg

tyckspoon
2011-03-04, 03:45 PM
You are invisible only if they have see invisibility(or equivalent) active?

That's the Invisible Fog trick, basically- if they don't have See Invisible/True Seeing, you're invisible normally. If they do, they get to see the Invisible Obscuring Mist you have around yourself, so they still can't see you.

gbprime
2011-03-04, 03:46 PM
That's the Invisible Fog trick, basically- if they don't have See Invisible/True Seeing, you're invisible normally. If they do, they get to see the Invisible Obscuring Mist you have around yourself, so they still can't see you.

Okay, that's brilliant. :smallamused:

Keld Denar
2011-03-04, 03:52 PM
Invisible Invisibility would be redundant. If they had See Invis, they could pierce the metamagic and the origional spell. Thats not that good.

Invisible Blinding Color Surge?

LordBlades
2011-03-04, 03:57 PM
Tbh, I think the invisible Wall of Stone doesn't work.

Wall of Stone has duration: instantaneous; the actual wall is the aftereffect of the spell, not the spell itself.

I see no reason why it should be invisible.

gbprime
2011-03-04, 04:01 PM

Invisible Hypnotic Pattern. :smallconfused:

Jair Barik
2011-03-04, 04:03 PM
The problem of course with the invisible solid fog trick is that if your opponent works it out and also goes invisible you end up stuck in the worlds most deadly game of Marco Polo ever.

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-04, 04:12 PM
Invisible Hypnotic Pattern. :smallconfused:

Invisible Symbol of Pain.

SurlySeraph
2011-03-04, 04:36 PM

Invisible Prismatic Wall is DM-speak for "I am tired of this campaign."

Necroticplague
2011-03-04, 04:38 PM
Invisible Prismatic Wall is DM-speak for "I am tired of this campaign."

No, your thinking of Invisible Sphere of Anhialation

Reverent-One
2011-03-04, 04:41 PM
Invisible Explosive Runes.

Am I doing this right? :smalltongue:

Elric VIII
2011-03-04, 04:52 PM
Invisible Slay Living. Are they still alive?

Jair Barik
2011-03-04, 04:58 PM
Invisible engulfing terror :smallbiggrin:

Invisible dancing light has its uses actually. Think of it in the context of Gobtoppia except from a covert stealth point of view.

gbprime
2011-03-04, 05:03 PM
Someone had to do it...

Invisible Phantom Steed (http://thundafunda.com/pictures-updates/4/cat-riding-a-invisible-bike-pictures-funny.jpg)

Tael
2011-03-04, 05:14 PM
I personally love Invisible Apocalypse from the Sky (Oh god, oh god, WHY IS EVERYTHING EXPLODING?!?), and Invisible Shadow Landscape (WHERE DID THE WORLD GO?!?)

Just the sheer amount of WTF going on for everybody else would be hilarious.
(but seriously, how would invisible Shadow Landscape work?)

Brock Samson
2011-03-04, 05:14 PM
Wait. You have a few still/silent/invisible walls of X, while you have a conversation with a person you block them in a maze of invisible material. Then it's time for the invisible flaming sphere to chase them throughout the maze.

To all onlookers watching.... wow, fun images...

Ravens_cry
2011-03-04, 05:36 PM
Invisible Purify Food and Drink is great for winning bets. It may look like the most nauseatingly moldy, maggot ridden, pile of decaying former foodstuffs, but it actually is quite good.

Tael
2011-03-04, 05:39 PM
Wait, what exactly would invisible PaO do? Would you change your form, but look like you hadn't? Or would you change your form, and turn invisible? Hm....Ding! Invisible Genesis! You create a whole demiplane, but when you enter it, it looks like their's nothing their.

Indeed, if Invisible Genesis means you are floating in nothingness, does Invisible Shadow Landscape means that everything in a 1 mile radius is invisible, at which point it just stops? Freaky.

Tyndmyr
2011-03-04, 05:56 PM
Not sure on the validity of the wall trick. Typicly the invisible spell trick is Solid fog+invisible spell=sucks to have true seeing.

Invisible Explosive Runes will also do this effectively.

Honestly, there's really no end to the possible Invisible Spell shenanigans for a creative person.

In a campaign I am currently playing, I dream of casting an invisible Genesis.

Jack_Simth
2011-03-04, 06:18 PM
What'll really bake the DM's noodle is an Invisible Spell (Greater Shadow Conjouration(Wall of Stone)).

Exactly as listed, you end up with a wall that is:
1) Nonmagical (doesn't show up as magical)
2) Has a chance of letting normal people walk through (if you make the will save, there's only a 60% chance of nondamaging effects from the spell affecting you... and a Wall blocks you, right? So you have a 40% chance of simply walking through it, if you make the save)
3) Permits an SR check to ignore it (as Greater Shadow Conjouration always permits SR - so a golem walks through it as though it wasn't there)
4) Under See Invisibility (and related) or Detect Magic (and related) looks like a normal wall of stone.
5) Under True Seeing (or related) looks like a shadow with a translucent outline of a wall around it.

Now, if you really want a mind-bending maze, you use a combination of:
Illusory Wall (to make walls that looks like stone)
Wall of Force (with Permanency)
Wall of Stone
Greater Shadow Conjouration (Wall of Stone)
Invisible Spell (Illusory Wall)
Invisible Spell (Wall of Stone)
Invisible Spell (Greater Shadow Conjouration (Wall of Stone))
(There's no real point in an Invisible Spell (Wall of Force), as Wall of Force is already invisible)

Have fun navigating...

Brock Samson
2011-03-04, 06:32 PM
I feel like I should kamikaze this threat purely so no DM ever sees it and inflicts this maze upon their players...

Man I love this game!!!

Jack_Simth
2011-03-04, 06:43 PM
I feel like I should kamikaze this threat purely so no DM ever sees it and inflicts this maze upon their players...

Man I love this game!!!
Oh, and I forgot to mention:

You mix them up and layer them at random. So, for instance, you might have an Invisible Spell (Illusory Wall) laying right on top of a Wall of Force....

Of course, you do know how to navigate such a maze, right?

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-04, 06:52 PM

You mix them up and layer them at random. So, for instance, you might have an Invisible Spell (Illusory Wall) laying right on top of a Wall of Force....

Antimagic Field?

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-04, 07:04 PM
Doesn't the Feat say it can't be used on Illusion spells?

Invisible Forcecage: like a spider under a glass.

Cogidubnus
2011-03-04, 07:05 PM

Sphere of Annihalation. Let it roll around disintegrating the maze for you.

How about invisible Mirage Arcana? The guy with See Invisibility tells everyone else they're in a ruined city. They tell him noo, it's a flat plain. He wins the argument because he has magical senses.

Yukitsu
2011-03-04, 07:14 PM
What'll really bake the DM's noodle is an Invisible Spell (Greater Shadow Conjouration(Wall of Stone)).

Exactly as listed, you end up with a wall that is:
1) Nonmagical (doesn't show up as magical)
2) Has a chance of letting normal people walk through (if you make the will save, there's only a 60% chance of nondamaging effects from the spell affecting you... and a Wall blocks you, right? So you have a 40% chance of simply walking through it, if you make the save)
3) Permits an SR check to ignore it (as Greater Shadow Conjouration always permits SR - so a golem walks through it as though it wasn't there)
4) Under See Invisibility (and related) or Detect Magic (and related) looks like a normal wall of stone.
5) Under True Seeing (or related) looks like a shadow with a translucent outline of a wall around it.

Now, if you really want a mind-bending maze, you use a combination of:
Illusory Wall (to make walls that looks like stone)
Wall of Force (with Permanency)
Wall of Stone
Greater Shadow Conjouration (Wall of Stone)
Invisible Spell (Illusory Wall)
Invisible Spell (Wall of Stone)
Invisible Spell (Greater Shadow Conjouration (Wall of Stone))
(There's no real point in an Invisible Spell (Wall of Force), as Wall of Force is already invisible)

Have fun navigating...

Hey, this was my idea!

Jack_Simth
2011-03-04, 07:16 PM
Antimagic Field?Only helps against the Illusory Walls. The rest of it is unaffected.

Sphere of Annihalation. Let it roll around disintegrating the maze for you.
That, however, will do the job.

You can also use a Simulacrum of a Beholder - at-will Disintegrate. Nothing gets a save, as they're all unattended objects.

Hey, this was my idea!

Probably. I'm not really much on original thinking.

Qwertystop
2011-03-04, 07:27 PM
What book is Invisible Spell in? Also, if it increases the spell slot required, you wouldn't be able to use 9th level spells like Genesis or Shadow Landscape, as far as I know.

Jack_Simth
2011-03-04, 07:30 PM
What book is Invisible Spell in? Also, if it increases the spell slot required, you wouldn't be able to use 9th level spells like Genesis or Shadow Landscape, as far as I know.
It's from Cityscape, and it's a +0 adjustment.

Qwertystop
2011-03-04, 07:36 PM
It's from Cityscape, and it's a +0 adjustment.

+0 for that? WOW!
I thought +0 would only be for metamagic that has effects that make the spell different without making it better or worse. This is DEFINITELY better especially for spontaneous casters who wouldn't be stuck using it in an unwanted situation. Any prereqs? I don't have Cityscape.

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-04, 07:38 PM
+0 for that? WOW!
I thought +0 would only be for metamagic that has effects that make the spell different without making it better or worse. This is DEFINITELY better especially for spontaneous casters who wouldn't be stuck using it in an unwanted situation. Any prereqs? I don't have Cityscape.

Barring these shenanigans, it's pretty much exactly that. It makes the effects invisible so the city guard are less likely to arrest you for lightning bolting people in crowded areas.

No prereqs.

Vangor
2011-03-04, 07:41 PM
Invisible Phantasmal Killer. Since "only the spell’s subject can see the phantasmal killer", the death effect should occur when the subject gains true seeing or similar, likely at some random moment while exploring.

Doesn't the Feat say it can't be used on Illusion spells?

No such mention.

Any prereqs? I don't have Cityscape.

One other metamagic feat, meaning basically "no".

Jack_Simth
2011-03-04, 07:55 PM
+0 for that? WOW!
Well... Invisible Spell, when used as intended, is almost useless on it's own. Seriously. The example is of an Invisible Spell Fireball - the fire damage in the area without the bead or the visible flash. HOWEVER: it doesn't get rid of the verbal and somatic components - anyone with even a single rank of Spellcraft will be able to tell you cast a spell, and anyone with a non-negative Wisdom modifier will be able to link it up with any effects that happened at that instant.

It's when you start using the feat with things it wasn't really intended for - like Wall spells, True Resurrection, Reincarnate, and so on - that things go bonkers. You can get similar effects with Eschew Materials and Simulacrum - make copies of critters you've never heard of, or people you've only seen, as there's no price listed for a tiny piece of a critter.

Really, it's not that good of a feat in normal play.

Goonthegoof
2011-03-04, 07:59 PM
It's only not a good feat if you use it for fireballs like the text suggests. I take it all the time, it's brilliant for things like invisible polymorph and the fog trick.

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-04, 08:01 PM
It's only not a good feat if you use it for fireballs like the text suggests. I take it all the time, it's brilliant for things like invisible polymorph and the fog trick.

It's also the cornerstone of spellsurging mailmen.

Necroticplague
2011-03-04, 08:11 PM
No such mention.

One other metamagic feat, meaning basically "no".

Actually, i think their may have been two different versions of it made. This one (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Invisible_Spell_(3.5e_Feat)) has the whole speal about illusions, while this one (http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/feat-1684-invisible-spell.html)doesn't. Personally, i prefer the one that doesn't. Because light sources made invisible actually make sense, and you can draw a real-world parallel. We have infrared flares that only appear to make light to someone with infrared-enhancing (night-vision) goggles. So invisible dancing lights would simply function like one. Normally, it appears nothing happened. Put on goggles of true seeing: suddenly the whole place is lit up.

randomhero00
2011-03-04, 08:19 PM
No the worst trick is to make invisible acid fog in one room, and then an invisible medusa in the next...

senrath
2011-03-04, 08:41 PM
Actually, i think their may have been two different versions of it made. This one (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Invisible_Spell_(3.5e_Feat)) has the whole speal about illusions, while this one (http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/feat-1684-invisible-spell.html)doesn't. Personally, i prefer the one that doesn't. Because light sources made invisible actually make sense, and you can draw a real-world parallel. We have infrared flares that only appear to make light to someone with infrared-enhancing (night-vision) goggles. So invisible dancing lights would simply function like one. Normally, it appears nothing happened. Put on goggles of true seeing: suddenly the whole place is lit up.

The first one is 3rd party, while the second one is WotC material.

jiriku
2011-03-04, 08:46 PM
+0 for that? WOW!

It requires that you already have any one other metamagic feat.

It's primo for a shadowcraft mage. Between visible real conjurations, invisible real conjurations, visible quasi-real conjurations, invisible quasi-real conjurations, visible illusions, and invisible illusions, you can really keep your friends and enemies guessing. Combine with Eschew Materials, Still spell, and Silent Spell to do absolutely anything with no visible sign of what you're doing.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-04, 08:55 PM
Or, you know, play Psionics.

Qwertystop
2011-03-04, 09:02 PM
Or, you know, play Psionics.

Psionics have displays, and some displays don't require that anyone know to watch you to notice (that's all RP and common sense, not RAW). Which is easier to notice, a guy muttering to himself and twiddling his fingers, or shiny glop everywhere/unusual smells/loud noises/a guy who looks like a warning flare?

sreservoir
2011-03-04, 09:05 PM
Psionics have displays, and some displays don't require that anyone know to watch you to notice (that's all RP and common sense, not RAW). Which is easier to notice, a guy muttering to himself and twiddling his fingers, or shiny glop everywhere/unusual smells/loud noises/a guy who looks like a warning flare?

there's a concentration check for that.

Tael
2011-03-04, 10:52 PM
there's a concentration check for that.

And a pretty easy one at that.

Endarire
2011-03-05, 01:58 AM
This reminds me of The Matrix.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-05, 09:51 AM
Psychic-rogued:smalltongue:
I would make a point about a concentration check been able to remove said effects, but the people above already beat me to it.

Amiria
2011-03-05, 10:21 AM
Are there official metamagic rods of invisible spell ?

If not, are there precendents on how to price metamagic rods with +0 spell modifiers ?

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-05, 10:23 AM
Are there official metamagic rods of invisible spell ?

If not, are there precendents on how to price metamagic rods with +0 spell modifiers ?

Wel cantrips count as 1/2 level spells for pricing items. Do the same for rods?