PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 -- spell/feat question.

kayden87
2011-03-04, 05:00 PM
is there any feat you can take other than arcane prep, that makes a spontaneous spell caster have memorized spells?

is there any other evocation spells that have a duration? like for ex. wall of fire

lastly does a feat exist that you can add 1cl to one school of magic?

kayden87
2011-03-04, 06:33 PM
nvm found the spells, cant find other feats tho :(

Thurbane
2011-03-04, 11:43 PM
A lot of the Reserve Feats in CM and CC add +1 to your CL for a specific school (or type) of spells.

Not sure about other prepared options other than Arcane Preparation, though...

Analytica
2011-03-04, 11:53 PM
Corrupt Arcana from Heroes of Horror allows you to prepare Corrupt spells from a spellbook as a spontaneous caster.

There is the spellgifted trait in the srd that gives you +1cl for one school, -1cl for others.

dextercorvia
2011-03-05, 08:59 AM
There is the spellgifted trait in the srd that gives you +1cl for one school, -1cl for others.

Which, combined with Practiced Spellcaster gets you an effective +1 CL to one school with no loss on the others. You have an extra +3 to spend on other level losses. A fun (and not really overpowered way) is Wild Mage, which applies a -3 to CL, but lets you roll a d6 and add it to CL. Many folks think this is cheesy, but from a cost reward standpoint, it is fairly balanced. You would be spending a trait, three feats, and one class level to get +1d6(+1) to CL (in your chosen school). That is an average of 3.5 (4.5, in your chosen school). The two main reasons to boost CL are blasting and buffing.

Blasting usually relies on a small subset of spells, and can benefit more from Arcane Thesis (+2CL and reduced metamagic costs), Empower Spell, Bloodline of Fire (+2 CL to [Fire] spells), Energy Substitution. (One more feat, no trait, or levels used.)

Buffing benefits more from Reserves of Strength. Requires one other feat (which you can buy). This gets a guaranteed +3CL to your long term buffs, with no real drawback. (If your DM is going to launch a sneak attack when you are dazed for a few seconds each morning, he is probably the type to attack while you are prepping spells and steal your spellbook.) I'm not even suggesting that you break caps open with it (although exceeding them by 3 is well within anyone's reading of RAI).

nedz
2011-03-05, 09:58 AM
Why are you trying to increase CL ?
If its to bypass SR then there are a number for that.

dextercorvia
2011-03-05, 12:55 PM
Tainted Scholar +Fiendish Power gets you +1 to CL for all spells (among other things). Costs two feats one class level and your soul.

kayden87
2011-03-05, 01:14 PM
more dice. im using wings of flurry, it has no dice cap so might aswell buff it, and better sr

nedz
2011-03-05, 01:40 PM
better DC and more dice. im using wings of flurry, it has no dice cap so might aswell buff it, and better sr

CL doesn't boost DC ?
You'd need Spell Focus for that.

Better SR can be done with Fortify Spell or spell Penetration.

kayden87
2011-03-05, 01:52 PM
I edited out the dc part, right now I can boost my cl by 5 for wings

dextercorvia
2011-03-05, 04:22 PM
At that point, you want to aim for Arcane Thesis, and Twin + Empower, perhaps with a dose of Practical Metamagic (to help with the cost of Twin), or Residual Magic, if you are spamming it.

ericgrau
2011-03-05, 04:25 PM
Evocation spells with a duration:

Rounds:
Clenched Fist
Crushing Hand
Delayed Blast Fireball
Fire Shield
Flaming Sphere
Forceful Hand
Freezing Sphere
Grasping Hand
Gust of Wind
Ice Storm
Interposing Hand
Mage's Sword
Sending
Wall of Fire
Wall of Force
Wind Wall

Minutes:
Dancing Lights
Darkness
Daylight
Light
Resilient Sphere
Telekinetic Sphere
Wall of Ice

http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20spellfilter/ is helpful.

kayden87
2011-03-05, 04:27 PM
Yea, I got Spell Focus Evo, Easy MM Twin, Empower, and sudden maximize, Learned Metamagic, Practical MM Twin. Arecane Thesis ( Wings of "lulz" ) Dragon Power, and Invis Needle.

so +5 CL Wings, Twinned, im a lvl 10 incantrix so Emp is 2 -1 Incantrix 10. Sudden Max = 0, Easy MM Twin -1, Practical MM Twin - 1, incantrix 10 -1 so twin = 1 lol

so Twined beefed Wings for a lvl 6 Slot

<33333333 it

Never heard of Residual Spell tho

( Im also a Kobold for the dragon power ) forgot to add that in. and im Venerabe so + dragonwraught too.

kayden87
2011-03-05, 04:38 PM
Evocation spells with a duration:

Rounds:
Clenched Fist
Crushing Hand
Delayed Blast Fireball
Fire Shield
Flaming Sphere
Forceful Hand
Freezing Sphere
Grasping Hand
Gust of Wind
Ice Storm
Interposing Hand
Mage's Sword
Sending
Wall of Fire
Wall of Force
Wind Wall

Minutes:
Dancing Lights
Darkness
Daylight
Light
Resilient Sphere
Telekinetic Sphere
Wall of Ice

http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20spellfilter/ is helpful.

Is there an Updated Spell filter? Theres Lightburst. or sumthing like that from Complete arcane that deals 2d6 fire, and blinds the target, and theres a Grey Cloudy sphere spell that does 3d6 wind damage then makes the subject medium or smaller fly into the air and take fall damage

FMArthur
2011-03-05, 04:40 PM
Congratulations on dramatically increasing the CR of the creatures the DM chooses to go up against you. :smalltongue:

Anyway abusing Arcane Thesis's ability to give +0 metamagics negative adjustments is also a very strong way to go for huge damage metamagic combos.

kayden87
2011-03-05, 04:43 PM
With my DM no matter what level we are. we have to fight crap +5 CR than we are. at lvl 5, we had to kill CR 10-12 Stuff. Its awesome, cause you cant instakill stuff. And numbers were still semi high lol.

My old adventure I had a Leaper, listed in my Sig. We had to remove massive damage cause id do 70+ dmg in one hit each round lol. I like things being hard.. 100% of the time

-- Arcane Theisis gives a 0 Metamagic adjustment? or Am I reading that wrong

FMArthur
2011-03-05, 05:19 PM
Arcane Thesis can never adjust the final level of the spell below the spell's normal level. However, it can modify +0 metamagics to being -1 metamagics, bringing a higher adjustment from other metamagics down by 1 to a minimum of the spell's normal level. Make sure to understand the feat and read the PHII errata that clarifies it. Anyway, I think it's probably better to do it this way for the Orb of X spells since they can get Energy Substitution and Energy Admixture added onto them. For Wings of Flurry doing what you're doing with Easy and Practical Metamagic onto higher adjustment feats might be a more versatile decision than to load up on +0 metamagics for your one Arcane Thesis spell.

kayden87
2011-03-05, 05:36 PM
hmm weird the arcane thesis I read addes 2cl to one spell. sais nothing about MM stuff

kayden87
2011-03-05, 06:03 PM
is there also a site online to see what the orbs of x do

nedz
2011-03-05, 06:05 PM
From PHB2 Errata

Page 74 – Arcane Thesis [Substitution ]
Should read,“When you apply any metamagic feats other than Heighten Spell ” Thus if you were to
prepare an empowered maximized magic missile (assuming magic missile is the spell you choose for your Arcane Thesis),it would be prepared as a 4th level spell (+1 level for empowered,down from +2; and +2 levels for maximized,down from +3).

Page 74 – Arcane Thesis [Omission ]
Add the following text to the end of the “Benefit ” section:“A spell cannot be reduced to below its original level with the use of this feat.”

kayden87
2011-03-05, 06:33 PM
ahh ok ty.

anyone know the stats of the orb x spells?

nedz
2011-03-05, 07:06 PM
They are not in the SRD, so there not OGL, so I can't post them here.
There in the Spc, MinH and CArc.

kayden87
2011-03-05, 07:15 PM
srd olg ? O.o

Lyndworm
2011-03-05, 07:20 PM
System
Reference
Document (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Reference_Document)

You can find online SRDs all over the internet (I know of at least three), but this one (http://www.d20srd.org/) is probably the most popular.

Open
Gaming
License (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Game_License)

kayden87
2011-03-05, 07:49 PM
Ahh I see, well if Carcane has them then i guess its ok.

nedz
2011-03-05, 08:06 PM
They are not in the SRD, so there not OGL, so I can't post them here.
There in the Spc, MinH and CArc.

Sorry about the Jargon: there is an index in the sticky I think.
SRD System Reference Document
OGL Open Game License
SpC Spell Compendium
MinH Minitures Handbook
CArc Complete Arcane

FMArthur
2011-03-05, 08:28 PM
We usually do describe things in close-enough detail here. I don't see the problem with outlining the spell here as long as we're not providing all of the information (to give you the idea but still making you look it up in the book to be able to use it).

Anyway the orbs are just a series of spells with energy types and don't allow spell resistance (so they can even damage magic-resistant or immune creatures or fire into an anti-magic field). They deal d6s of damage by your caster level (most are capped at 15), and add some other minor save-based effect that varies based on the element. They are an oft-cited example of Conjuration doing too much of what Evocation was supposed to and doing it better. They're from Complete Arcane and are reprinted in the Spell Compendium, in case you have one but not the other.

kayden87
2011-03-05, 09:03 PM
that makes alot of sence, ive had ppl tell me full spell details befor. didnt know it could be minorly illegal