PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Shield issues

Necro_EX
2011-03-04, 07:47 PM
Well, I've been wrangled into a 4e game largely against my will, but this post isn't about me so much. :p

A person in the group was going to have his character (a warforged fighter) carry two shields into combat. Now, there are a couple of issues with that.

I'm certain the shield bonuses don't stack (as in 3.5), but how does shield bashing work in 4e? I'm not too horribly familiar with all the ins and outs of the system, so I am not quite so sure on that, he seems to have found a spiked shield, but how about shields of the non-spiked variety?

Thanks in advance, playground. :D

Oracle_Hunter
2011-03-04, 07:52 PM
If one shield is a Spiked Shield he can use it as a normal weapon for all his powers. So nothing more needs to be done.

Shield bonuses certainly do not stack (and why do people keep playing "two shield fighters" :smallconfused:) but if he decides to attack with a non-spikey shield it would probably function as an Improvised Weapon (One Handed). See PHB I for the details.

Fox Box Socks
2011-03-04, 08:43 PM
Sounds like he's going for Snapping Testudo, the most silly of all paragon paths

Vknight
2011-03-04, 09:19 PM
Silly but nontheless fun and zanny.

Daftendirekt
2011-03-04, 10:29 PM
I was not aware of this Paragon Path. Now that I am, I am totally putting one together in the character builder. WIN!

Fox Box Socks
2011-03-04, 10:32 PM
Yeah, it's a fun one.

A friend of mine played a Half-Orc Snapping Testudo with an intelligence of 8. When he ran, he flapped his shields and occasionally jumped, hoping that he would somehow fly.

Necro_EX
2011-03-04, 11:07 PM
He didn't have any paragon paths in mind, just thought the idea was nifty, I suppose.

I'll make sure to inform our DM of what I've been told here, though I think that player might be changing up the character to use a two-handed weapon, now.

MeeposFire
2011-03-04, 11:11 PM
There is the spiked shield and the tortoise shield which are exactly the same except for what they look like. There is also the gauntlet axe which says it is a light shield (whether it should be is often debated). So you could go gauntlet axe while using a spiked shield (or tortoise blade which I prefer for looks). NOt optimal but can be very fun and you can take feats that boost for or will by your shield bonus which when combined with the rhythm blade enchantment and the buckler duelist feat (needs rogue multiclass) you can get a +4 to all defenses. Not really needed but is fun to think about.

Bagelz
2011-03-18, 03:01 PM
"but how does shield bashing work in 4e?"

well, there's a level 1 fighter encounter power called Shield bash, that does not require a weapon to be equiped, but does require a shield. (there are quite a few fighter powers that do the same, none of which have the weapon keyword)

I'm guessing this is not what you are talking about.
You can always use an improvised weapon or unarmed strike for a basic melee attack. Most powers specify weapon or implement. Without special feats improvised always deals 1d4+str damage for onehanded size, 1d8+str twohanded size, and you get no proficiency bonus to attack rolls.
you can do this with tables, chairs, rocks, and shields, pretty much anything you can pick up.

Now since he's got a spiked shield he can use it with any powers that require a weapon.

Sir_Mopalot
2011-03-19, 10:44 AM
There's also always the Dragontooth Shield (Level 7), which is a +2 proficiency, 1d6, pick, high crit, offhand weapon, and the Soul Shield, which is a more powerful version at level 18. There's no epic version, although if you /must/ attack someone with a shield, the level 26 throwing shield can work.

Hal
2011-03-21, 05:29 AM
There's also always the Dragontooth Shield (Level 7), which is a +2 proficiency, 1d6, pick, high crit, offhand weapon, and the Soul Shield, which is a more powerful version at level 18. There's no epic version, although if you /must/ attack someone with a shield, the level 26 throwing shield can work.

I took a throwing shield for my warlord and was fairly disappointed. The problem is that it doesn't scale well and the damage is fairly underwhelming. I carried it for those times when I just had to have a ranged weapon but didn't want to swap out a throwing weapon for my melee weapon.

I would have been much happier with it had it simply been treated like another weapon so that I could use powers with it. Although it still wouldn't be enchantable.

AxeD
2011-03-21, 07:04 AM
I just started a 4e campaign a couple of weeks ago and was shocked to find out that you can't (to my knowledge) get magical enhancements for shields, ie, a +3 shield. I'm so disapointed by the magical equipment in 4e.

theNater
2011-03-21, 08:00 AM
I just started a 4e campaign a couple of weeks ago and was shocked to find out that you can't (to my knowledge) get magical enhancements for shields, ie, a +3 shield. I'm so disapointed by the magical equipment in 4e.
My understanding is that this was done intentionally, so that AC was going up at the same rate as attack bonus.

You can, of course, find magical shields among the arms slot items. They don't get enhancement bonuses, but they provide various effects. You may also be shocked to find that necklaces have enhancement bonuses in 4e.