PDA

View Full Version : First Time DM Needs Advice

Edan
2011-03-04, 11:03 PM
Okay so some friends asked me to DM their small group because I "have more experience" playing DnD than they do. Which is weird because my experience is just a dozen or so sessions of practical experience but years of theoretical experience via lurking on these and the wizards boards.

Now here is my conundrum. I'm not totally sure what to do. I just took a two year break from all types of gaming and just came back. I'll be running the game on Monday the only things set in stone is that I said to start at 6th level and use core books only (which is all we've got). I have the rule compendium if I wind up needing it. I know they aren't optimizers and will probably have underpowered characters (one guy wants to play a fighter.

Main questions are these:
How do I start a campaign?
What kind of encounters should I build in a 2 person campaign?
Any general tips for keeping it running smooth?

I'm open to all criticism, suggestions and feedback. I just don't have any idea where to begin.

Thank you.

Kuma Kode
2011-03-04, 11:08 PM
Start your campaign with ACTION. Come up with a dangerous situation, perhaps the climax of what may have been an adventure, that will of course set up a future plot, and throw them into it. You only need to paint the past in broad strokes. How they wound up in this situation isn't as important as the fact they need to get out of it right now.

This gets them engaged in the game with puzzles and action, then once they're hooked and they're safer, you can set up a plotline.

Endarire
2011-03-05, 01:24 AM
Check my signature.