PDA

View Full Version : SoulKnife and VoP

Tvtyrant
2011-03-04, 11:15 PM
I know they are both horribly unoptimized but my question is whether the effects of VoP stack with a Soulknifes' bonus.

MeeposFire
2011-03-04, 11:22 PM
I know they are both horribly unoptimized but my question is whether the effects of VoP stack with a Soulknifes' bonus.

The enchantments would "stack". The enhancement bonus from VOP and the soulknife would not. Of course you could use feats like shield of the mind (or whatever it was called) that allowed you to invest your enhancement bonus of your soulknife into a shield that you created with your mind thus not wasting that feature. Works well with soulbow builds since they can shoot arrows with a shield.

Thurbane
2011-03-04, 11:26 PM
Semi-related question I've pondered a couple of times. Can a Binder with VoP summon Eurynome's Maul and Savnok's Armor?

MeeposFire
2011-03-04, 11:30 PM
Semi-related question I've pondered a couple of times. Can a Binder with VoP summon Eurynome's Maul and Savnok's Armor?

I would think so. They have no actual value and are not even real items.

Thurbane
2011-03-04, 11:52 PM
Hmm, so a Binder/KotSS (Savnok) mightn't be a horrible use of VoP. (Or at least, not as horrible as some).

Tvtyrant
2011-03-04, 11:54 PM
The enchantments would "stack". The enhancement bonus from VOP and the soulknife would not. Of course you could use feats like shield of the mind (or whatever it was called) that allowed you to invest your enhancement bonus of your soulknife into a shield that you created with your mind thus not wasting that feature. Works well with soulbow builds since they can shoot arrows with a shield.

So... Weird soulbow build huh. Interesting.

MeeposFire
2011-03-05, 12:11 AM
Anything with soulbow is interesting as soulbow is one of the few ways to make a soulknife that has some versatility.

faceroll
2011-03-05, 03:08 PM
Does it have to be a "bow" or can you be shooting mind bullets out of your hand x-men style?

The Glyphstone
2011-03-05, 03:10 PM
Does it have to be a "bow" or can you be shooting mind bullets out of your hand x-men style?

The sample image, I believe, is shooting them out of his forehead.

Kylarra
2011-03-05, 03:14 PM
Sample image is actually just shooting it out of her hand, but it does specifically call out that it doesn't have to be visually similar to shooting it from a longbow.

Yuki Akuma
2011-03-05, 03:51 PM
The sample image, I believe, is shooting them out of his forehead.

She is in fact shooting them from her hand.

Her outfit has an arrow on it, which is neat.

FMArthur
2011-03-05, 04:16 PM
A Soulknife's only advantage over all of the melee classes is that it has extra money to spend on things that aren't weapons. That is its sole claim to fame. Even Monks need to spend money to make their unarmed strikes good. Why, why would you ever take Vow of Poverty on the class-that-should-be-an-ACF and discard your advantage?

MeeposFire
2011-03-05, 04:21 PM
Flavor. To be different. You like the idea of having no items. There lots of reasons to do it. The only reason that would not work is to be powerful since this combo obviously results in lower power not greater. Since the OP started by saying how this combo is not OP I think we can safely say that the OP already knows this and wants to play anyway.

FMArthur
2011-03-05, 04:31 PM
It's not even in the spirit of the Exalted feat, though. :smallconfused:
You own an object that slips through the cracks in the VoP technical restrictions to go against its flavour. As far as the actual character is concerned, you're not sacrificing weaponry to further your spiritual enlightenment, you're discarding what you don't need.

Tvtyrant
2011-03-05, 04:34 PM
You own an object that slips through the cracks in the VoP technical restrictions to go against its flavour. As far as the actual character is concerned, you're not sacrificing weaponry to further your spiritual enlightenment, you're discarding what you don't need.

If I was only using the fluff of the VoP, yes. But in this case the character is only able to use their psychic powers due to their long ascetic lifestyle; the VoP predates the SoulKnife in essence. The sacrificing weaponry happened long ago, he gained it back in order to gain enough funds to buy his monastery from a corrupt Duke who owns the title to the land and is taxing the monks to death.

MammonAzrael
2011-03-05, 04:38 PM

Mechanically, perhaps it is against the spirit of the feat. But fluff wise it doesn't have to be. You don't own a weapon that technically slips through cracks in your vows. You made a vow of poverty, as because of that vow you developed a way to create an extension of your mind as a way to fight.

It all depends on how you look at it.

MeeposFire
2011-03-05, 04:41 PM

I fail to see how this does not fit. The aesthetic uses his mind to create a blade from his mind. This sounds very appropriate for a VoP build. It is just created from his mind and it disappears when he no longer wants it to exist. The mind blade is no worse in terms of flavor than using psionic powers or material componentless spells.

"Foolish devil. I do not need any material weapons to defeat you. My dauntless spirit will provide me with all the tools I need to defeat you."

The Glyphstone
2011-03-05, 05:14 PM
Mechanically, perhaps it is against the spirit of the feat. But fluff wise it doesn't have to be. You don't own a weapon that technically slips through cracks in your vows. You made a vow of poverty, as because of that vow you developed a way to create an extension of your mind as a way to fight.

It all depends on how you look at it.

That's like saying a monk with VoP is also against the spirit of VoP, because they don't need weapons either.:smallconfused:

FMArthur
2011-03-05, 05:26 PM
Okay, thank you. I get it now. Sounds cool that way. All four of you reiterating the same point was a bit much.

Tvtyrant
2011-03-05, 05:28 PM
Okay, thank you. I get it now. Sounds cool that way. All four of you reiterating the same point was a bit much.

Sorry, didn't mean to gang up on you. :smallfrown:

megabyter5
2011-03-05, 06:47 PM

That gives me an awesome mental image.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-05, 06:57 PM
That gives me an awesome mental image.

Does it start with "Cap" and end with "Tin America"? Because mine does.