PDA

View Full Version : Energy conversion battery trick [3.5]

Havelock
2011-03-05, 10:19 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyConversion.htm

So I was looking over that thing and pondered about ways (preferably low cost) to "charge" oneself up prior to combat or whatever.

Cheapest is probably to simply strap firewood around your arm and just light it up.

Having a friendly mage with a reserve feat works, too.

Obviously needs to be approved by the GM.

Yora
2011-03-05, 10:31 AM
As a gm, I would allow it. It's not a particularly strong attack spell and I actually like the idea of preparing for a battle by holding your hands into fire to absorb its energy.

You could have other characters cast spells at you, but then it would probably be more effective to cast the spells directly on the enemy.
So the best way to do this would be finding non-magical sources of energy damage. Fire is the obvious here.
I would also alow jumping into icy water to store cold energy, but I don't think that this is RAW.
In a non-fantasy game it would be awsome to tear open a fuse box and grasp a power line to charge up on electricity, but I don't think you'd fine much to that effect in a fantasy world

sreservoir
2011-03-05, 10:57 AM
point a sonic energy wall at yourself; you can use other energy types if you make sure you don't exceed your resistance 10, but sonic is only 2d6-2, so max 10, and a great energy type. energy wall has duration "however long I want"

Havelock
2011-03-05, 11:07 AM
You get resistance 30 at manifester level 13 (which you must be to cast this).

I would rule that if you stand in an energy wall, you'd count as if passing through, thus getting 2d6+manifester level. Which is fine either way, since most would do sonic, so 2d6+18.

But you need to stand in the energy wall for it to work, and my prefence is something that follows you wherever you go.

sreservoir
2011-03-05, 11:09 AM
huh, energy adaptation scales with level instead of augmenting.

faceroll
2011-03-05, 03:05 PM
Use shrink item on some lava, then when it's time to charge, unshrink the lava, stand in it, fire lasers.

nedz
2011-03-05, 03:34 PM
You need the wizard to take the Summon Elemental Reserve Feat.
He summons an elemental of the type you want, you absorb the energy, and release it as a ray.
I believe that it works like this:
Fire elemental = Fire
Earth elemental = Acid
Air elemental = Lightning
Water elemental = Cold

Ed: sp

sreservoir
2011-03-05, 03:37 PM
Use shrink item on some lava, then when it's time to charge, unshrink the lava, stand in it, fire lasers.

well, resisting fire gives immunity to lava, but it doesn't seem to actually do fire damage.

faceroll
2011-03-05, 03:38 PM
well, resisting fire gives immunity to lava, but it doesn't seem to actually do fire damage.

Whoa, that's really weird.