PDA

View Full Version : Ways to get Protection from Evil on the Ranger Spell List

Matamane
2011-03-05, 11:13 AM
As the tile says, I need a way to get the spell protection from evil onto the ranger spell list. I need a simple way to put it on the list, like with a feat. Any Ideas?

true_shinken
2011-03-05, 11:33 AM
As the tile says, I need a way to get the spell protection from evil onto the ranger spell list. I need a simple way to put it on the list, like with a feat. Any Ideas?

Sword of Arcane Order feat works.

Curmudgeon
2011-03-05, 01:48 PM
Sword of Arcane Order feat works.
While it might suit the OP's needs, that actually doesn't accomplish the stated requirement. You can use your Ranger spell slots to prepare Wizard spells, but you don't get to add anything to your Ranger spell list. Any feats or class abilities keyed to divine or Ranger spells wouldn't be of any use with this prepared Wizard spell.

Here's something that works (with limitations) with DM approval. Take the Planar Touchstone feat with an appropriate item from the The Catalogues of Enlightenment site; then select any one of the following domains:

Good
Exorcism (Eberron Campaign Setting, page 106)
Elysium (planar domain) (Spell Compendium, pages 283-284)
You'll have to physically visit the site to get the higher-order ability, so you can buy the site token when you get there. The higher-order ability of this planar site gives you 3 uses (1/day) of the 1st-level spell from your chosen domain (Protection from Evil). You'll need to make a DC 25 Intelligence check to get 3 more uses. :smallfrown: However, you don't actually have to use up any of those available castings (unless you need a second casting per day).

From Complete Divine on page 20:
If a noncleric enters a prestige class that allows access to a domain, the character still gains access to the domain. She can use the granted power bestowed by the domain normally. If she memorizes spells like a druid, paladin, or ranger, then she can simply choose to memorize one of that domain’s spells instead of one of her usual spells, but never more than one domain spell of each level. If your DM accords that a non-Cleric gaining a domain through a feat (Planar Touchstone) works the same as a non-Cleric gaining a domain through a PrC then you'll be able to use this mechanism to memorize Protection from Evil as a Ranger spell 1/day.