PDA

View Full Version : iPad and .pdfs

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-05, 01:23 PM
So, I have bought an iPad for myself (yaaaaaaay!). So, obviously I want to read .PDF files on it, but I cannot figure out how to transfer .PDF files to the iPad's memory rather than keep it in the cloud. So, any iPad users out there - any idea on what to do?

drakir_nosslin
2011-03-05, 01:33 PM
Well, I don't own a iPad myself, but this (http://www.geardiary.com/2010/04/12/how-to-view-pdf-files-on-an-ipad/) article might help you if you don't have a decent reader. Seems easy enough to use.

Blue Bandit
2011-03-05, 10:59 PM
So, I have bought an iPad for myself (yaaaaaaay!). So, obviously I want to read .PDF files on it, but I cannot figure out how to transfer .PDF files to the iPad's memory rather than keep it in the cloud. So, any iPad users out there - any idea on what to do?

Congrats on you're purchase!!!:smallcool:

As far as I know, you can only view PDF files on an ipad(or ipod) by use of an app. There is an itunes app called FileApp Pro that I know will let you copy PDF files to you're ipad for 4.99 US dollars. There is also a free demo version of it that will let you try it out first.

Hope this Help,

Dakshaar

Ichneumon
2011-03-06, 09:45 AM
One of the best app for pdf reading is Goodreader, it doesn't cost much and it allows you to store and organize them with maps etc.

After you bought it and synced the iPad, go to Itunes and to the "Apps" area of the stuff that's on your iPad. (You see a picture of the screen of the iPad and a list of which apps you want to sync). Scroll down. You see an area called "File sharing). Beneath and on the left you see a list of apps, amongst them is "Goodreader". On the right you can add files to the app. When you're inside the app, you can chose to move them etc.

I love readering pdfs on my iPad. I hope you're going to enjoy it.

fizzybobnewt
2011-03-06, 12:00 PM
IBooks does books or pdfs. Doesn't it come with the iPad or something? It's free, certainly.

Ichneumon
2011-03-06, 12:24 PM
IBooks does books or pdfs. Doesn't it come with the iPad or something? It's free, certainly.

True, but compared to Goodreader it is really a very inferior app.

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-06, 01:19 PM
Also, for some reason, I can't download iBooks anyway.

But I downloaded Goodreader, and it seems to be working fine, even though it doesn't open all the images.

RTGoodman
2011-03-06, 02:20 PM
The Dropbox app (on iTouch, at least) lets you download documents to your iDevice by making them a "Favorite" or something. You've got to get a Dropbox account, but it's free and possibly the most useful thing ever.

(If you want to join, shoot me a PM with your e-mail address - for each person I refer, I get an extra 250MB of storage, up to 8GB).

Ichneumon
2011-03-06, 02:34 PM
The Dropbox app (on iTouch, at least) lets you download documents to your iDevice by making them a "Favorite" or something. You've got to get a Dropbox account, but it's free and possibly the most useful thing ever.

(If you want to join, shoot me a PM with your e-mail address - for each person I refer, I get an extra 250MB of storage, up to 8GB).

I second the use of dropbox, but instead of using the "Dropbox app", you can log in on dropbox through the Goodreader app and store files locally while keeping them synced.

Heliomance
2011-03-07, 12:41 PM
I thoroughly endorse Goodreader. Fantastic app.

Eldonauran
2011-03-07, 08:49 PM
I'll throw my hat in with Goodreader as well. Its my favorite file viewer for everything, except for movie files. Oplayer is the best at that.

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-08, 06:44 AM
Actually, while we're at it, any essential apps I should download for functionality (so, not games or such fun apps, even though I'd like to have some of those)?

And other than Angry Birds, what other games do you suggest I should buy?

Ichneumon
2011-03-08, 12:24 PM
If you follow RSS, "Reeder" is the best RSS app for that. Fully integrates with Google Reader.

The regular official Twitter app is very good. Auto-shortens long URLs.

iAnnotate PDF, is a very good for annotating PDFs.

"Brushes" is a very good painting application.

"PCalc Lite" is a very good and free calculator.

"Dictionary" is a free app from dictionary.com it allows you to have the full database from dictionary.com offlin available.

"Tunnel Shoot" is a very fun game. I play it all the time.

EDIT: I also advise you to take a look at Dropbox.com and see if it is anything you like. (It gives you online storage and many apps like iAnnotate and Goodreader fully integrate it and it allows you to sync folders on your computers between different computers and your iPhone or iPad. )

EDIT2: "Dictamus" is a very good voice-recording app.

crimson77
2011-03-11, 12:25 PM

I think you need to purchase an SD card reader for your IPAD (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A) and some SD cards. I believe that you can put your PDFs on an SD card and then open them on your IPAD. This would be the cheapest and most cost effective way to do this.

R00kie
2011-06-17, 02:07 AM
I think you need to purchase an SD card reader for your IPAD (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A) and some SD cards. I believe that you can put your PDFs on an SD card and then open them on your IPAD. This would be the cheapest and most cost effective way to do this.
Ignore this advice. The Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit will only allow you to import Jpegs (pictures) from an SD Card. It will NOT allow you to import pdfs.

The best way to go is Goodreader plus Dropbox (as recommended above by several people).