PDA

View Full Version : mice and weapons

Mr White
2011-03-05, 03:07 PM
I've recently become interested in the mouse guard comic and RPG. I'm actually looking to start a mouse guard game when I get enough people interested.
One thing is bothering me though. The biggest part of the uniqueness of this setting is how the mice have to overcome obstacles due to their size. Enemies for example are more than not larger than them. So why are they using small swords, and the likes. In the comic one mouse defeats a snake by jumping in its mouth in order to be able to stab it.
So instead I imagine mice carrying spears and pikes in order to have a bit more reach. The better trained mice may carry pole arms.

What other adaptations would mouse society, customs, martial arts go through in order to survive?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-05, 07:04 PM
I've recently become interested in the mouse guard comic and RPG. I'm actually looking to start a mouse guard game when I get enough people interested.
One thing is bothering me though. The biggest part of the uniqueness of this setting is how the mice have to overcome obstacles due to their size. Enemies for example are more than not larger than them. So why are they using small swords, and the likes. In the comic one mouse defeats a snake by jumping in its mouth in order to be able to stab it.
So instead I imagine mice carrying spears and pikes in order to have a bit more reach. The better trained mice may carry pole arms.

What other adaptations would mouse society, customs, martial arts go through in order to survive?

Mice probably use swords instead of just pole-arms because swords are more effective in close range. Yes - spears would be more practical - but mice are very protective and cautious creatures and want to be able to defend themselves if forced into close-range combat.

Occasional Sage
2011-03-09, 12:48 AM
The game includes pole arms and spears, as well as bows. And armor.

The reason they're not as regularly used is weight; mice are small, and the game encourages them to have a restricted carrying capacity. You've gotta really want to carry that pike around!

Fitz10019
2011-03-09, 04:41 AM
I expect that it is important to them to be able to fit into/through tight spaces, and one of those longer weapons would be a hinderence. Something like the Quiver of Ehlonna would be a popular item among them, or the Changeling weapon property.