PDA

View Full Version : How come you can't target peoples weapons with Disentegrate?

Sims
2011-03-05, 05:52 PM
It'd be an awesome way to sunder at a distance. Why isn't there anything on it?

Keld Denar
2011-03-05, 06:28 PM
Why can't you? As an attended magic item, it would get its save or yours.

Shinizak
2011-03-05, 06:29 PM
It'd be an awesome way to sunder at a distance. Why isn't there anything on it?

You can in 3.0/3.5 unless your DM says otherwise. If that's the case then maybe your DM just doesn't want to deal with the convoluted rules dealing with it, or maybe he just doesn't want you shafting the melee users. It all depends.

4.0 flat out doesn't allow it. I don't know why.

KnightDisciple
2011-03-05, 06:42 PM
Because if players can do it, so can DMs. And having the DM turn your prized weapon, that you've invested with plenty of money, into worthless ash wouldn't be fun. Especially since most all classes rely on some weapon or focus to perform techniques correctly. Which means you either need 5 backup swords, or you're sitting on the sidelines useless.

That's probably the explicit reasoning in 4e; as for 3.5, that's the reasoning why I'd likely never play in a game where that happened. It's pointlessly mean-spirited.

Glimbur
2011-03-05, 07:03 PM
I feel that there is a feat for targeting weapons with ranged attacks, probably called Ranged Sunder, probably in Complete Warrior or something similar. Take that and use the rules it outlines.

Normal sunder rules only allow melee attacks to sunder.