PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.X Defeating Detect Thoughts

Coidzor
2011-03-05, 06:21 PM
How does one do so?

Also, Telepathy/Mindsight.

Essence_of_War
2011-03-05, 06:34 PM
1- The easiest, fastest, and cleanest way is with "Mind Blank", or if you're a psionic folk, "Personal Mind Blank".
2 - boost your will save, it is will save negates.
3 - Get SR/PR - the PR, SR, and Tower of Iron Will spells for example.
4 - Nondetection explicitly applies to "detect spells". It may be a stretch, but that could give you a CL check they have to penetrate.

Edit:

5 - Change your surface thoughts. If you're a PC, the DM might find this to be an admirable way to get around this sort of effect. Awesome example from KOTOR 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mokhjML3C0

Edit 2:

The neat part starts around 3:30

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-05, 06:47 PM
Mindsight is actually quite debated by RAW. It clearly makes sense that a Mind Blanked creature can't be detected by Mindsight, but there's nothing in the feat that says it's blocked by immunity to mind-affecting effects. After some argument we decided that Mind Blank does not stop Mindsight in the ToS. You can probably find the argument somewhere in one of the old threads.

I personally believe it Mind Blank blocks it, since I consider Mindsight a "device." However, as you will likely see very soon when a bunch of people argue against me, there is widespread disagreement over the interpretation of that word in the context of the game.

Thurbane
2011-03-05, 06:54 PM
If you don't mind being evil, the Deformity (madness) gives immunity to all things mind-affecting. Costs a feat to get (Willing Deformity), and imposes a -4 penalty to WIS. Once each minute, you can add 1/2 your character level to a single Will save (for things like Glitterdust or Slow).

The Indomitable Soul feat is also pretty cool, allowing 2 saves against all mind-affecting and fear abilities. Has some sucky prereqs, though (Endurance, Iron Will).

ben-zayb
2014-06-12, 01:46 AM
Nondetection is a 3rd level core spell that adds a CL check for detect spells to work.

Telepathy Block is a 5th level spell (BoED?) that does exactly what it says. I'm not sure if that would block the Mindsight effect, though.

Hellbreaker is a PrC from Fiendish Codex II that also has a telepathy-blocking ability at early levels.

Regissoma
2014-06-12, 03:09 AM
There is always the lead sheet of denial :smallwink:.

Aquillion
2014-06-12, 03:18 AM
Mindsight is actually quite debated by RAW. It clearly makes sense that a Mind Blanked creature can't be detected by Mindsight, but there's nothing in the feat that says it's blocked by immunity to mind-affecting effects. After some argument we decided that Mind Blank does not stop Mindsight in the ToS. You can probably find the argument somewhere in one of the old threads.

I personally believe it Mind Blank blocks it, since I consider Mindsight a "device." However, as you will likely see very soon when a bunch of people argue against me, there is widespread disagreement over the interpretation of that word in the context of the game.Part of what makes thwarting Mindsight so frustrating is that the writers of the core don't seem to have considered the possibility that there could be non-spell Supernatural Abilities; both Nondetection and Mind Blank seem to have wording that specifies that they protect you against spells and magic items specifically, which can (technically) be interpreted to mean that they don't protect you against feats or supernatural abilities like Mindsight.

(Yes, you can argue over the meaning of the word 'device', since technically you could take it to refer to literary devices and therefore allow the spell to protect you from anything. But either way, I think it's clear that the authors of the core simply failed to consider that creatures with natural detection abilities might exist.)

kardar233
2014-06-12, 03:45 AM
There is always the lead sheet of denial :smallwink:.

Yeah, make yourself a lead-foil hat and wear it under your helmet or hat or whatever.

~EDIT~ Hold on, this is three-year necromancy right here.