PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) To slay a god.

Ilmryn
2011-03-05, 08:07 PM
I just bought the BoVD, and the Vasharan entry inspired me to make a deicidal character when the opportunity presents itself.
I'm lacking in ideas to how to actually slay a deity. Preferably the character would be built so that it could kill a god without being overwhelmingly powerful against regular foes. How do I build a character which is capable of killing at least one god at the lowest possible level while still not being so powerful that any sane dm will veto?

Eldan
2011-03-05, 08:14 PM
In general, gods are coalesced belief. So slaying all the followers should do it.

Therefore, play an omnicidal maniac and start wiping temples.

Loki Eremes
2011-03-05, 08:19 PM
I just bought the BoVD, and the Vasharan entry inspired me to make a deicidal character when the opportunity presents itself.
I'm lacking in ideas to how to actually slay a deity. Preferably the character would be built so that it could kill a god without being overwhelmingly powerful against regular foes. How do I build a character which is capable of killing at least one god at the lowest possible level while still not being so powerful that any sane dm will veto?

The only way i think is using your brain and somehow deceive the deity to a certain death.
Make an elaborate plan to get near him, learn about its strenghs and weakness, to somehow reach the point you can influenciate it, earn her thrust and finally kill her.
In other words, be Lex Luthor.

Other ways more directly is using a pun-pun or that kind of universally strong sins against nature. But well.... if doing so i dont see the point of killing a god. (maybe for the lulz?)

RndmNumGen
2011-03-05, 08:30 PM
While not the most direct way, the easiest is probably to lead a crusade against that god's followers and kill all of them; or at least kill a good 95% of them, which will weaken the deity significantly. If you're not interested in the roundabout way, or want to spare the god's followers, you're welcome to try to Plane Shift into their godly realm and shank them, though that might not work out so well for you.

SiuiS
2011-03-05, 08:36 PM
Favored enemy.
Put all your favored enemy points into Deity. Quest for exception-based powers, such as energy drain which affects energy-drain immune creatures, or death effects without the [death] tag, like overwhelming critical or whatever it is.

Develop a cohort or fellow party member who can amp up the POWAAAH! on their spells. Focus on conjuration, grab multidimensional spell, heighten spell, and intensify spell (just for kicks, since it's more role-play fuel than actual spell power here). Have them prepare gate (or develop a higher level version, since you have to hit epic to really do this stuff).

Make no secret about your deicidal tendencies- as soon as you decide to kill a god, and to keep it secret, vecna magically knows what you're planning, weeks before you plan it. It's a "see the budha, kill the budha" thing. Don't be too overt though, because then EVERY god would know. That sort of thing they would all band together for.

Pick your target. I'd suggest a more magical-oriented deity because they tend to be stronger, and also will fall easier to my plan. Teleport to that deity's domain with your wizard and get ready for a rumble.
Cast greater Gate/Superior Plane Shift/a version of that 2e Pailin power that tr transfers slices of different planes, and make sure you throw on multidimensional spell, heighten spell, and intensify spell to justify making it so far into the chosen plane. Transport yourself and the deity to Concordant outlands. You want to be about 1 mile and several dozen yards away from the central spire, where no magic or priming powers, not even deity powers, function.

You have just punched a hole in reality and fallen through it. The first, most important step is to have your wizard cohort CLOSE THE HOLE. a deity going home and closing it first, stranding you on the outlands? Not cool.

Now it's you and a non-magic, non-immortal, extraordinary godform, who has no power. DR is gone, fast heal may be gone, armor bonus, attack bonus, inability to fail attacks or saves on a 1, all gone. Even better, even chemical reactions stop within 1 mile of the spire, so if you can bull rush them into it, they die. And until someone comes along and fishes them out without crossing that thresh-hold, they stay dead because all of their power is contained, unable to reform or reincarnate or escape from the outlands.

I'll let you know how it works out. My 48 hitdie master wizard/sorcerer/bard artifact lord has a hate-on for vecna. And this is my plan to kill him, forever.

gbprime
2011-03-05, 08:37 PM
You want to take them out in a fight, then you lure them into a scenario of your choosing and make sure you're weilding an Artifact. Defeat said diety "in the field" and gain some of it's power as it's essence flees the scene of it's defeat. Defeat said diety on it's home turf... well... that should be harder, but you'd get the whole of it's power for doing so.

gbprime
2011-03-05, 08:39 PM
I'll let you know how it works out. My 48 hitdie master wizard/sorcerer/bard artifact lord has a hate-on for vecna. And this is my plan to kill him, forever.

Vecna? Well you better tell someone your plan. If it's a SECRET, then he'll know about it, and i'll bet he kill-steals... :smallamused:

SiuiS
2011-03-05, 09:56 PM
Exactly. I'm hoping it will be more of an Epic fight that breaking azzagrat. Vecna, after all, has just as much a chance of permanently slaying me as I do him. And there are all sorts of secrets he'd know, like my weakness to world-gobbling horrors from beyond the veil (forbidden knowledge skill higher than my possible sanity. Net -166 to Will saves that get through my immunities).

The gist is;
Develop killer (Ex) abilities like favored enemy and auto-kill on a crit
Develop the power to punch through to a (Ex) only plane
Own any creature which relies on (Sp), (Su), (Ps), spell casting, psionics, incarnum, truespeak, shadow casting, or divine power to win
Profit!