PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help making a VERY wierd characther

boomwolf
2011-03-05, 08:58 PM
Well, I am running a game right now and one NPC I am running as a returning caracthers (who is usually there for her own reasons, neither seriously helping nor hindering the party.)

However, I figured the party might attack her at a later point (probably to kidnap her and use it to blackmail her father, who is a serious threat in a kingdom-scale...)
Not to mention that I probably gonna play her at some point as a PC in another guy's game. she is too fun to roleplay...

so the girl is a relatively young CN female who is rather spoiled, uses her natural charm (lots of charisma) to get away with practically everything, and if something is not going the way she wants it she tends to have a violent outbreak, possibly killing the source of her anger. (not dumbishly though, she keeps her sanity and avoids any trouble that she cant charm her way out of...)

She also has quite some physical strength to pull that off.

Now, I can't think of how to actually BUILD her sheet, as it makes no sense at all.
By genetics she is a half-nymph(mother) half red dragon (father)
By abilities she has already used Stunning Glance (Nymph) and Fire Breath (Dragon), plus she can beat the average guard in hand-to-hand combat. (not a melee PC though, she is not an all out melee as she thinks she is.)

Problem is, a half dragon template on a nymph (or even a human with the half-nymph template) results in a MASSIVE ECL for her, making her truly inefficient. I want to be able to use class levels on her.

Now, It will probably need some homebrew or something...but what kind will fit it?

As for class she probably will be a sort of a CN paladin empowered by her dragon blood (sorcerer style) and casting spells through CHA instead of WIS (we have a PC that is like that, so its ok.) and paladins smith the true opposite alignment for 150% of normal smith and adjacent alignment (not TN) for normal smith. (a TN paladin smiths normally on all "extreme" alignments...), maybe giving her a PrC if I can find a race combination (or an excuse for one) that will allow low ECL, but suggestions on classes are also welcome...

Current party ECL is 7, but I want this girl to be as low as possible on ECL, so I can build additional class levels later. (and as I said-I AM planning to play a version of her in another game...maybe a different dragon type...)

In general her "racial" abilities should be:
-CHA bonus
-Stunning Glance
-Fire Breath (red dragon style)
-Useable wings (perhaps growing from"glide" to outright flight based on hit dice? like raptorans and dragonborn?)
-low light vision/darkvision

Runestar
2011-03-05, 09:14 PM
Half dragon can be substituted with dragonborn template, or the draconic breath feat (if you are a sorc).

Stunning glance...? :smallconfused:

boomwolf
2011-03-05, 09:24 PM
Stunning Glance (Su)

As a standard action, a wrathful nymph can stun a creature within 30 feet with a look. The target creature must succeed on a DC 17 Fortitude save or be stunned for 2d4 rounds. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Powerful, but not quite as lethal as the blindness if you look thingy...

Endarire
2011-03-05, 09:37 PM
You could give the nymph 1 level of the homebrew Nymph Savage Progression (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7733.msg255052#msg255052).

How'zbout going Swordsage or Paladin?

Since you're DM, consider making Stunning Glance a feat requiring Nymph heritage. That's the most important part of nymphhood so far.

boomwolf
2011-03-05, 09:49 PM
The savage progression looses the entire concept of having low ECL so I can get CLASS levels, the end result is identical to a normal nymph, its just cut into phrases.

Its just too much LA for her to have decent BAB, HP, skillpoints, etc...(saves are good tnx to unearthly grace)

And as I don't want her to use druid casting anyway, and I find that blinding beauty is also removable for being over the top (as well as the ability modifier open to reduction to sane levels), also unearthly grace is identical to divine grace she gets from paladin levels. nor I need her to swim...

Actually, I think I know what I want her to have. I just need to figure what LA it should be...updating main post...

Runestar
2011-03-05, 09:51 PM
Acolyte of the skin has a stunning gaze 1/day, although the fluff isn't really suitable.

Sorc5/AotS3? Weak as hell, but hey...:smalltongue:

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-03-05, 11:19 PM
Dragonfire Adept has the flame breath, which lets you get away with that without needing half-dragon applied. Also has some fairly cool abilities.

As far as defeating guards unarmed, have you considered Unarmed Swordsage?

Alternately, Bard with Suggestion (drop your guard) will work quite nicely.

BallsInABowl
2011-03-05, 11:59 PM
Half-Nymph is +2?
5 levels of Bard or Sorcerer, or your Paladin-thing, then Dragon Disciple.
Level 3 DD has Breath Weapon (so ECL 10? 5bard/3DD/+2 template, if base creature is HD free and has no LA of its own?)

At level 9 DD she'd get wings, you could either move that lower on the level progression, swap with the claw/bite dealy, or just give glide earlier and full flight later.

Electrohydra
2011-03-06, 12:31 AM
I just have to recommend a dragonfire adept. Actually, reflufed dragonfire adept could mechanically grant almost everything you need. (I don't have my book so some of these might be slightly off, but it's close)

-Fire breath at will starting at level 1
-Dragonblood subtype at level 1
-No CHA bonus, but you can take beguiling influence as a first level invocation to compensate for that (+6 diplomacy, bluff and intimidate)
-Low-light/darkvision are also low-level invocations
-Wings as a 6th level invocation
-There's a charm invocation somewhere in the progression, but I think it's high level, so you could probably homebrew an invocation like Stunning glance.
-As for defeating the average guard unarmed, you have Medium BAB, d8 HD and CON as an important stat, so a level 1-2 warrior, even armed shouldn't be a problem as long as you have a few levels.

Now if you're unwilling to refluff, then a Half-nymph dragonfire adept should do the trick, maybe with a few levels of unarmed swordsage if you want more punching and less burning.

Arbitrarious
2011-03-06, 12:47 AM
Or choose desert wind for more punching AND burning.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-06, 12:53 AM
I've found that using gestalt rules for my villains gives them a certain measure of survivability, along with a nice "WTF did he just do" element if the party gets smarmy and thinks they know all his tricks. In this instance, I recommend a gestalt Sorc//Paladin, with perhaps substituting Swordsage for Paladin if ToB isn't your thing. Honestly, the Dragonfire Adept is a much better option.

nedz
2011-03-06, 08:57 AM
Feytouched gets Charm Person 1/day for +1 LA (or +1 RHD via Savage Species)

Half Fey gets Charm Person at will for +2 LA (or +2 RHD via Savage Species, though this can be split). Half Fey gets lots of enchantment type Cha based SLAs, and fey type wings. The wings grow when you take the second racial level. She would be a fairy dragon I guess, which sounds about right.

Low light vision, Cha boost = Half Fey.

Since you've already used Stunning Glance, then you are stuck. Unless you refluff it, by simply saying "Well she called it that, but it was actually X".
Dragon breath: Sorceror, with the appropriate Draconic Heratage feat.
Should be able to do this by ECL 2-3, depening on whether she has flight yet. IIRC it would require 2 feats for the dragon breath so ECL 3, though that would include 1 level of Sorc.

begooler
2011-03-06, 04:37 PM
Removing the wings from the half-fey template would make it worth a +1 LA.

The Blinding Beauty spell in Exalted Deeds will duplicate one of the Nymph's abilities also.

nedz
2011-03-06, 06:50 PM
Removing the wings from the half-fey template would make it worth a +1 LA.

The Blinding Beauty spell in Exalted Deeds will duplicate one of the Nymph's abilities also.

Well you would lose about half the SLAs and some stat boosts also.