PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Desert Wind Reflavoring

Maeglin_Dubh
2011-03-05, 11:27 PM
Been thinking of doing a remake of Desert Fire, since I seem to recall that either in the book or on this forum, it was recommended that one simply replace Fire with some other appropriate element to make a new discipline.

How would I go about making an ocean/storm themed discipline? Bludgeoning damage? Lightning damage? Ice damage?

BallsInABowl
2011-03-05, 11:48 PM
For storm-themed, lightning/electrical damage makes sense.

Ocean - what would be your choices, water, salt, and maybe weather? Could be using waves for bludgeoning, or for non-lethal as Flashflood spell in Sandstorm specifies.
Salt could be the source, again in Sandstorm the throw-sand-at-people spells just do damage, without type, so you could go untyped.
Might be best just to stick to electrical, and ocean stuff uses wave/storm energy for lightning, about as many things should have electrical immunity as fire.

dgnslyr
2011-03-05, 11:53 PM
That would depend on what aspect of the ocean you want to emphasize. If it's the cold, briny depths, it could be ice damage, from the below-freezing water that crashes upon an exposed humanoid. If it's the relentless, battering waves it could be bludgeoning damage. If it's the unrelenting force of a tropical storm, it could be lightning damage. There's nothing wrong with having water deal Ice damage, either. This is mostly with video games, but I get annoyed when water and ice are two separate elements, especially when one is commonplace while the other is much rarer. I'm looking at you, Final Fantasy.

Maeglin_Dubh
2011-03-05, 11:54 PM
Also want to do a new weapon list for it...

Trident, handaxe, cutlass, dagger, longspear, harpoon

Do those seem nautical enough? Is there any sense in having a ranged weapon in there?

dgnslyr
2011-03-05, 11:57 PM
Why not, throw in javelins. You can throw 'em like harpoons, and you don't need any EWP.

Maeglin_Dubh
2011-03-06, 12:01 AM
Why not, throw in javelins. You can throw 'em like harpoons, and you don't need any EWP.

Ok. Reason I ask is I don't recall many maneuvers working properly with ranged weapons.

Claudius Maximus
2011-03-06, 12:21 AM
The discipline's called Desert Wind. :smallwink:

I wouldn't consider it overboard to do a mix of elements. Desert Wind is one of the weakest disciplines, and I think it could sue a little boost. Also, diversity can make it more interesting.

Maeglin_Dubh
2011-03-06, 12:38 AM
Maybe allow the practitioner to choose which aspect he's channeling as a swift action? Lightning, ice, or bludgeoning?

Admiral Squish
2011-03-06, 12:43 AM
I once reflavored desert wind into arctic wind. Basically, just swap the fire damage for cold damage.