PDA

View Full Version : Stating these famous Writers

Dr.Epic
2011-03-06, 01:05 AM
Pretty straight forward, what classes (and possibly races if other than human) should these expies of famous writers be:

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: paladin; yeah, I know since he wrote all the Sherlock Holmes stories, he should be more suited for maybe rogue or diviner, but the fact he was knighted is making me lean towards paladin. Besides, Detect Evil is a great detective ability.
Robert Louis Stephenson: barbarian; again, people will probably disagree with me and say swashbuckler since he wrote Treasure Island, but he also wrote the Case of Jekyll/Hyde, and that sort of is a representation of a barbarian rage. Besides I've only read that and I want the NPC to carry around "potions".
Bram Stoker: cleric; pretty straight forward why. He wrote Dracula. I might through in some levels in ranger for favored enemy undead.
Henry David Thoreau: druid. Yeah, he wrote Walden. What else do I need to say?

Vknight
2011-03-06, 01:22 AM
In reality
Bards there all bards. Problem solved

Based on there writings

Problem is Sherlocks villians were not always evil. Moriatry can be argued to be Lawful Neutral of Evil.
So I think he probably carries an time for detecting all alignments and has levels in ranger for tracking among other things. Maybe some levels in Paladin or Knight to represent his knighthood

Jekyll and Hyde plus Treasure Island, and you get a dip in barbarian, main stats in swashbuckler and to finish up with Artificer.

Bram I agree with wholly

Thoreau again must say I'm with you

Scarlet-Devil
2011-03-06, 01:27 AM
Nng, I was expecting you to just stat them up as human experts with ranks in profession: writer or something. Statting up real-life writers as magical characters is a little... weird. Also, I'd say Sir Arthur would be more like a cleric, or maybe a bard with an emphasis on healing given that he was a doctor. A knighted person isn't a Knight the same way that Miko doesn't actually have levels of Samurai.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-06, 01:31 AM
In reality
Bards there all bards. Problem solved

Based on there writings

Problem is Sherlocks villians were not always evil. Moriatry can be argued to be Lawful Neutral of Evil.
So I think he probably carries an time for detecting all alignments and has levels in ranger for tracking among other things. Maybe some levels in Paladin or Knight to represent his knighthood

Jekyll and Hyde plus Treasure Island, and you get a dip in barbarian, main stats in swashbuckler and to finish up with Artificer.

I'm mostly familiar with classes in the PHB. I know a little about swashbuckler so I could easily make Stephenson one. Still, I haven't read Treasure Island (I recently got the novel but am reading something else at the moment). I know a little about the plot thanks to pop culture, but I'll probably stick more with barbarian. I might give him a rapier and say he's in pirate garb though.

And if anyone has any ideas for H.G. Wells, please say. I'm trying to think of ways the Invisible Man and World of the Wars could be transferred to a D&D character.

Xuc Xac
2011-03-06, 01:35 AM
You're not really statting up the writers themselves. You're statting a limited selection of their works as people. Maybe you should adjust the question to something like "How would you stat the personification of The Sherlock Holmes Collection or Treasure Island?"

davidpetersjk
2011-03-06, 02:05 AM
Stating the writers is easy, until you have to stat Poe, who is obviously ridiculous. Also, I've heard that even knowing Lovecraft's stats will drive you mad.

Vknight
2011-03-06, 02:22 AM
I'm mostly familiar with classes in the PHB. I know a little about swashbuckler so I could easily make Stephenson one. Still, I haven't read Treasure Island (I recently got the novel but am reading something else at the moment). I know a little about the plot thanks to pop culture, but I'll probably stick more with barbarian. I might give him a rapier and say he's in pirate garb though.

And if anyone has any ideas for H.G. Wells, please say. I'm trying to think of ways the Invisible Man and World of the Wars could be transferred to a D&D character.

Well the Muppets adaptation as all of them before 2000 mirrors the work very well with Muppet charm. So if you find that online watch it but make it serious.
There was plenty of sword fighting and dueling very fancy using intellect and wit.
Also pure barbarian does not make sense because he started as Jekyll so levels in a class that can use magic like the artificer does makes sense.

Hyde could also be a Warlock.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-06, 03:03 AM
Well the Muppets adaptation as all of them before 2000 mirrors the work very well with Muppet charm. So if you find that online watch it but make it serious.

Make it serious? In this campaign they're all going to be slackers who hang out in a tavern and kill monsters because it's "awesome" and speak in '90s slang.