PDA

View Full Version : BURN IT! BURN IT! BURN IT ALL! (3.5 PrC)

Realms of Chaos
2011-03-06, 01:36 AM
It has always struck me as a tad bit odd that of all the casters that someone can use to accomplish fear or intimidation, blasters are used so rarely. We seem so fond of casters who can call the living dead, discover forbidden secrets, or who can scry on anybody for unknown purposes at any time (*looks over shoulder*) but we blatantly ignore the entire school of magic that seems to scream out “I’m gonna blow up the world!” To remedy this problem, here is the pyromaniac (better name desired), a fire-based class that could easily start an apocalypse at high levels and that denotes an unhealthy fixation with destructive forces that threatens to boil over into total madness. hope you guys enjoy.

The Pyromaniac

“Mindless Destruction? No, my friend, I fear that you are mistaken. The goal of my endeavors is nothing so complex. I simply want to watch this world burn, if only it would burn bright enough… why won’t the world burn bright enough… just want to see it burn but it burns so dimly… WHY WON’T THIS WORLD BURN PROPERLY?”
-Jason Carhaps, Pyromaniac

Wherever there is magic, there are a few individuals with an unhealthy fixation with it. Many of the popular “villains” among magical folk, ranging from necromancers with their dark lore to alienists and their unspeakable secrets to fleshwarpers and their insatiable need to alter others, all fall into this category. One form of such arcane obsession that only rarely reaches such lists is the desire that some spellcasters hold to simply burn down the world around them. As such obvious and dangerous fixations are likely to be caught during training or else prove fatal while training oneself, only a few spellcasters with this obsession survive long enough to truly pursue their goals. What this means, however, is that the few spellcasters who do survive with this fixation are, at least initially, good at suppressing their desires and passing off as normal. The grim wishes burnt into the minds of these pyromaniacs, however, is often anything but sane.

Prerequisites
Alignment: Any non-good or non-lawful
Feats: Energy Substitution (Fire)
Spells: The ability to cast up to 4th level spells, including at least five spells with the fire descriptor.

Hit Die: d6
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |
Spellcasting

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Burning Essence I, Intense Conflagration 1d6, Above Mere Flames |
+1 Level of Existing Spellcasting Class

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Local Heat Wave, Unstoppable Flames |

3rd|+2|+1|+1|+3|Call from Fire, Intense Conflagration 2d6|

4th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Burning Essence II, Greater Heat Wave|

5th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Ashes to Ashes, Intense Conflagration 3d6|

6th|+4|+2|+2|+5|Dire Heat Wave, Sense Heat|

7th|+5|+2|+2|+5|Burning Essence III, Intense Conflagration 4d6|

8th|+6|+2|+2|+6|Burning Psyche, Heat of the Core|

9th|+6|+3|+3|+6|Intense Conflagration 5d6, Oblivion|

10th|+7|+3|+3|+7|Burning Essence IV, Lord of the Flames|
+1 Level of Existing Spellcasting Class[/table]
Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level): Bluff, Concentration, Intimidate, Knowledge (arcane), Knowledge (architecture and engineering), Spellcraft, Use Magic Device.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the pyromaniac prestige class.

Spellcasting: At each level, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spell known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a pyromaniac, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Burning Essence (Su): Your soul has been set ablaze, allowing you to spread flame to the world with far more efficiency and allowing flame alone to sustain you. At 1st level, any creature or flammable object that you deal fire damage to (whether through magical or mundane means) must make a Reflex save or catch fire (DMG p303) if this would not normally be the case. Furthermore, you need not eat or drink so long as you remain within 30 feet of a flame for at least one hour each day (this time need not be continuous).

At 4th level, any creature or object that catches fire due to fire damage you have dealt (whether through magical or mundane means) transfers this fire to all flammable substances that they come into contact with. Attended objects and creatures may make Reflex saves to avoid catching fire as normal. A flame may travel no further than 10 feet in a single round in this way in a given direction. You need not sleep so long as you remain within 30 feet of a flame for at least one hour each day (this time need not be continuous).

At 7th level, flames that you create (whether through magical or mundane means) treat all solid and liquid substances (including water) as being flammable. Dousing flames with water or dirt, therefore, does not help to put out the flames (though the dirt or water may catch fire as well thanks to this class feature). Flames spread along normally noncombustible materials at a far slower rate, however, traveling no further than 5 feet per day in a given direction (and thus burning itself out in most circumstances). You need not breathe so long as you remain within 30 feet of a flame for at least one hour each day (this time need not be continuous)

At 10th level, flames that you create can continue (whether through mamgical or mundane means) indefinitely without fuel. Even when smothered or otherwise cut off from air, these fires can continue burning brightly. You do not age so long as you remain within 30 feet of a flame for at least one hour each day (this time need not be continuous)

Somewhat counter-intuitively, your bond with the flames you create allows you to recall their essence. As a free action, you can put out any number of flames that you have started, whether by mundane or magical means and regardless of whether you started them directly or indirectly.

Intense Conflagration (Su): Your body is filled with the essence of fire, allowing you to create more intense flames that possess a variety of effects. Firstly, with a melee touch attack, you may deal the indicated amount of fire damage and the target must succeed on a Reflex save to prevent catching fire. Similarly, all creatures grappling you take this damage each round that they continue the grapple.

Also, any spell with the fire descriptor that you cast and deals damage to a foe deals additional fire damage as indicated on the table above. Creatures who you set on fire (whether through magical or mundane means) take additional fire damage each round as listed on the table above and the save DC to avoid catching fire and to put out such as fire is increased by your class level.

Lastly, your flames are also capable of protecting you, dealing the indicated damage to all manufactured weapons that strike you. Any weapon destroyed in this way fails to deal damage to you.

Above Mere Flames: As you proceed as a pyromaniac, your flames start to become more than flames as normal flames stop concerning you. You gain fire resistance 5 per class level and sources of fire damage that you create (whether magical or mundane and whether directly or indirectly) automatically ignore up to 5 points of fire resistance per class level.

Furthermore, sources of fire damage that you create (whether magical or mundane and whether directly or indirectly) are incapable of harming you. You also gain immunity to heat dangers and the effects of smoke.

Local Heat Wave: The very presence of a pyromaniac is enough to carry heat, raising the temperature of their environment. Starting at 2nd level, the area within a 1,000 foot/level-radius emanation centered on you experiences a heat wave. The temperature band within the area rises by two steps or to severe heat, whichever produces the hotter result. Within this area, spells with the fire descriptor are cast as +1 caster level. You can suppress this effect for 1 round as a free action, but it renews automatically on your next turn unless you consciously suppress it again.

Unstoppable Flames (Su): Starting at 2nd level, your flames are almost impossible to stop. You may cast spells and spell-like abilities with the [fire] descriptor without penalty underwater and succeed on all Concentration and Spellcraft checks made to use such ability (but not on checks made to cast them defensively). Also, all caster level checks made to dispel magical fire effects you have cast take a penalty equal to your class level.

Call from Flame (Su): Starting at 3rd level, you can breathe a bit of life into the flames that you love and create. While within 30 feet of a flame, you may spend a standard action to summon one or more fire elementals into the space occupied by the flame and/or into any adjacent space. Each day, you may summon a number of fire elementals in this way whose total HD adds up to twice your character level. Elementals created in this way are incapable of harming you and last for 1 hour (or until you revoke them like a normal flame) but aren’t under your control. The burn ability of these fire elementals benefit from all appropriate class features you control.

Greater Heat Wave (Su): Beginning at 4th level, you can produce extreme conditions of heat in a 100-foot/level-radius emanation. The temperature band in that area rises by three steps or to extreme heat, whichever produces the hotter result. Within this area, spells with the fire descriptor are cast as +2 caster levels. You can suppress this effect for 1 round as a free action, but it renews automatically on your next turn unless you consciously suppress it again. This ability does not stack with your local heat wave ability.

Ashes to Ashes (Su): Starting at 5th level, the flames that you create quickly reduce the world around you to nothing but ashes. Sources of fire damage that you have created (magical or mundane, directly or indirectly) don’t halve damage against objects and ignore hardness. In addition, all creatures and objects destroyed by such sources of fire damage are quickly reduced to fine ash in a single round, as are you if or when you should die.

Sense Heat (Su): Despite what one would expect from your close proximity to fire, you have become adept at picking up even the slightest changes of heat in the world around you. Starting at 6th level, you can perfectly see all living creatures and other sources of heat within 100 feet, even if they are invisible, possess concealment, and/or are hidden behind barriers up to 5 feet in total thickness.

Dire Heat Wave (Su): Beginning at 6th level, you can produce almost unnatural levels of heat in a 10-foot/level-radius emanation. The temperature band in that area rises by four steps or to unearthly heat, whichever produces the hotter result. Within this area, spells with the fire descriptor are cast as +3 caster levels. You can suppress this effect for 1 round as a free action, but it renews automatically on your next turn unless you consciously suppress it again. This ability does not stack with your local heat wave and greater heat wave abilities.

Burning Psyche (Su): Given enough time, even your mind will be filled with nothing but burning flames. Starting at 8th level, whenever you are targeted by a mind-affecting effect, the caster must make a Will save (DC 10 + Class level + your spellcasting ability modifier). If the target fails, they take 5d6 points of fire damage and the mind-affecting effect fails to reach you. If the target succeeds, they take half damage but the mind-affecting effect affects you as normal.

Core of Heat (Su): Beginning at 8th level, you can produce almost unthinkable levels of heat in a 5-foot-radius emanation. The temperature band in that area rises to burning heat. Within this area, spells with the fire descriptor are cast as +4 caster levels. You can suppress this effect for 1 round as a free action, but it renews automatically on your next turn unless you consciously suppress it again. This ability does not stack with your local heat wave, greater heat wave, or dire heat wave abilities.

Oblivion (Su): At 9th level, you learn how to use flames in the world around you to concentrate a singe, concentrated blast. Once per encounter, As a full-round action, you may instantly extinguish all flames within a 30-foot-radius emanation centered on yourself. For each square in which flames were extinguished in this way, all creatures within range of the emanation take 2d6 fire damage, or half with a successful reflex save (DC 10 + class level + spellcasting ability modifier).

Lord of Flames (Su): At 10th level, you become a lord over all forms of flame. You gain the fire subtype, gaining immunity to fire damage and in fact heal half of any fire damage that you would otherwise be dealt by any source. Unlike other creatures with the fire subtype, you possess no special weakness against cold damage.

In addition, sources of fire damage you create (whether magical or mundane and whether directly or indirectly) ignore any resistance or immunity to fire damage that a target may posses.

Lastly, all creatures with the (fire) subtype must make a Will save (DC 10 + Class level + your spellcasting ability modifier) in order to take any aggressive action against you.

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-06, 01:38 AM
Infernomancer. That is all. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170945)

Realms of Chaos
2011-03-06, 01:50 AM
Infernomancer. That is all. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170945)

I honsetly don't know what to make of this (remarkably fast) response. :smallconfused:
If you are trying to assure me that there have indeed been other blaster classes, than I my heart is overjoyed as blasters don't get enough nice things and that is a very nice class that you've created here. :smallbiggrin:
If, on the other hand, you are trying to say that this class is redundant because things like the infernomancer exist, I'd be inclined to respectfully disagree. :smallfrown:

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-06, 01:56 AM
I honsetly don't know what to make of this (remarkably fast) response. :smallconfused:
If you are trying to assure me that there have indeed been other blaster classes, than I my heart is overjoyed as blasters don't get enough nice things and that is a very nice class that you've created here. :smallbiggrin:
If, on the other hand, you are trying to say that this class is redundant because things like the infernomancer exist, I'd be inclined to respectfully disagree. :smallfrown:

Well, a couple of more specific comments, then:

1. Please break up your paragraphs. Walls of text, they hurt me.

2. This feels less like a blaster and more like a transformative class. Indeed, you could probably pad out two more levels and then put in a 10th level capstone that makes you an Elemental [Fire]. They don't get a lot of rewards for actually blasting aside from some CL increases.

Benly
2011-03-06, 02:06 AM
They don't get a lot of rewards for actually blasting aside from some CL increases.

It's almost completely countered by the loss of two actual caster levels, too. This guy ain't setting the world on fire anytime soon.

Realms of Chaos
2011-03-06, 02:14 AM
1. Please break up your paragraphs. Walls of text, they hurt me.

Done and done.

2. This feels less like a blaster and more like a transformative class. Indeed, you could probably pad out two more levels and then put in a 10th level capstone that makes you an Elemental [Fire]. They don't get a lot of rewards for actually blasting aside from some CL increases.

I can certainly see where you are coming from with this argument. It is certainly true that this class doesn't receive as many bonuses for blasting (in and of itself). Even so, I'd argue that there are plenty of bonuses for simply using fire in general.
1. Can use fire spells underwater and where impeded with no check.
2. Harder to dispel your fires.
3. Your fire ignores energy resistance and later energy immunity.
4. All sources of fire damage set things on fire (which deals them more damage and can lead to more things being set on fire)
5. Full damage against objects when using fire.

That said, as the list certainly comes up as a bit lax, here are two additional ideas that were considered and that now seem like decent additions to the class.
6. The ability to add intense conflagration damage to damage dealt through spells.
7. Caster level bonuses to fire spells within the area of your heat waves.

That said, your idea to consider making this a fully transformational class isn't a bad one. I'll take it under advisement and if it seems others agree, I'll adjust it as necessary.

Thank you very much for your time. :smallsmile:

Edit: Also, this guy does indeed set the world on fire. Whenever you deal fire damage to anything (because you treat anything as flammable), it catches fire and the fire spreads to everything in contact with it that is also flammable (meaning everything). The fires are harder to put out than normal, deal 5d6 damage each round, ignore fire resistance and immunity, leave nothing but ash in their wake and... yeah, very probably world burning.

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-06, 02:24 AM
But those benefits seem, I dunno, underwhelming. A blaster PrC - especially a fire-based one - should be bombasting and striking, not gaining a bunch of essentially passive abilities. Those two caster levels would aid my blasting a lot more than any of those abilities would.

Realms of Chaos
2011-03-06, 02:33 AM
Thank you for further clarification. I think that I might be able to see exactly what you're talking about. Though your infernomancer also loses 2 caster levels, it possesses more activated abilities (such as sunflash, burn the soul, and decree of annihilation) and possesses pyroclasm/spontaneous combustion to make your remaining options far more varied.

I suppose that this class is a failure, then, but I thank you for showing me what I was doing wrong. This has been a genuine learning experience. :smallsmile:

Edit: Ironically, it seems that I got closer to the mark with my old blaster base class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108321), though I ended up overloading that class with too many abilities.

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-06, 02:35 AM
I suppose that this class is a failure, then, but I thank you for showing me what I was doing wrong. This has been a genuine learning experience. :smallsmile:

Not necessarily; I'd say that it fails as a blaster, but I feel it has a lot of potential as a more transformative class, and I feel that you should explore that possibility more. And, y'know, give it the caster levels back :p

Fable Wright
2011-03-06, 02:50 AM
I see a slight problem with Burning Essence III- they actually do cause the world to burn with a single third level spell, and if it's cast in some area with no one around, it will grow to be too big to actually put out. Ever. Seriously, set the middle of a desert on fire, and in a couple of days, most of it is burning. The quench spell can't possibly cover the entire area- even after several high-level druids work together, the area (several miles wide) will be too large to handle. Plus, after they blow their spell slots, the world just continues burning again- and, the nearby forests are also on fire. The character can just cover too much area with the fire spells and teleport- a single seventh level character, with minimal effort, can set the world on fire. With a cantrip. Am I the only one who sees anything wrong with that? :smallconfused:

Realms of Chaos
2011-03-06, 03:12 AM
I see a slight problem with Burning Essence III- they actually do cause the world to burn with a single third level spell, and if it's cast in some area with no one around, it will grow to be too big to actually put out. Ever. Seriously, set the middle of a desert on fire, and in a couple of days, most of it is burning. The quench spell can't possibly cover the entire area- even after several high-level druids work together, the area (several miles wide) will be too large to handle. Plus, after they blow their spell slots, the world just continues burning again- and, the nearby forests are also on fire. The character can just cover too much area with the fire spells and teleport- a single seventh level character, with minimal effort, can set the world on fire. With a cantrip. Am I the only one who sees anything wrong with that? :smallconfused:

Well, I was going by the original logic that allows level 15 wizards to end the world one level later by simply creating a shadow and letting it loose in a community without spellcasters.
That said, I drastically changed that ability so that fire can spread to noncombustible materials but has a harder time moving along or from them. Should stop the world from being destroyed.

Also tried reformatting everything a little bit and turning this into a 10-level class. Definitely needs another layer of polish when I wake up and am in a more sensible state of mind.

Tacitus
2011-03-06, 04:51 AM
There was once a man named Ignus...

Text/table conflict: In your fluff and under spellcasting you note that it loses two caster levels. The table does not show this.

I noticed some typos along the way, but its fairly late and I didn't immediately copy them down, so, I got one.
Burning Essence

At 10th level, flames that you create can continue (whether through mamgical or mundane means) can continue indefinitely without fuel.

I didn't go look at the other pyro-blaster posted, but I for one like how this particular class looks, and would no doubt pick it up even with a delay in caster level (hell, this is the first PrC I've added to my subscriptions in ages, maybe ever). Its been a long, long time since I've seen anyone use the environmental effects in a class, and that alone is refreshing. I'd love to see a pyromaniac melting ice caps because no place should be that cold. Ever. Because he says so.

Also, you can cast when otherwise impeded. Like, while in an antimagic sphere? I could see someone trying to run with that argument very easy. Yeah, it says "where such spells are otherwise impeded," and even though an AMF doesn't discriminate, someone with enough ranks in Profession (Rules Lawyer) will pull one over on their DM. Unless, of course, it is your intent to let them set people on fire from inside their antimagic prison cells.

absolmorph
2011-03-06, 05:37 AM
If I can swing it, one day I will play a pyromaniac sorcerer again.
And the character will have a single goal: burn everything.
Just so I can use this class.
To burn everything.

Realms of Chaos
2011-03-06, 11:23 AM
Also, you can cast when otherwise impeded. Like, while in an antimagic sphere? I could see someone trying to run with that argument very easy. Yeah, it says "where such spells are otherwise impeded," and even though an AMF doesn't discriminate, someone with enough ranks in Profession (Rules Lawyer) will pull one over on their DM. Unless, of course, it is your intent to let them set people on fire from inside their antimagic prison cells.

To my knowledge, impeded is a term in D&D with a very specific meaning, referring to a specific planar magic trait. If I am mistaken, though (and I am frequently mistaken), how do you think I should reword this? :smallconfused:

Lord_Gareth
2011-03-06, 11:42 AM
To my knowledge, impeded is a term in D&D with a very specific meaning, referring to a specific planar magic trait. If I am mistaken, though (and I am frequently mistaken), how do you think I should reword this? :smallconfused:

"Impeded" casting lowers the CL. Just say that your CL remains at full.

Temassasin
2011-03-06, 11:43 AM
you asked for a better name so how bout Pyromancer. Also i like the idea that you become a fire elemental eventually. though that lord of flames ability is cool too. maybe you could rebuke or even control fire elementals?

Realms of Chaos
2011-03-06, 12:27 PM
"Impeded" casting lowers the CL. Just say that your CL remains at full.

Page 150 of the DMG begs to differ unless I'm missing something. :smallconfused:

Impeded magic seems to require a spellcraft check to cast a spell.

Edit: you know what, I'm just going to say that you automatically succeed on all spellcraft and concentration checks made to cast spells of the fire descriptor (but not on checks made to cast them defensively).

vcvcvc12
2011-03-07, 02:03 AM
nice! way better than what i thought of. maybe there should be something to represent the lingering obsession with fire, maybe a small chance of setting flammable things on fire unintentionally (at low levels, obviously)? it would probably require some heavy balancing, though.

Gideon Falcon
2011-03-15, 06:19 PM
Speaking of the Infrenomancer, it's too bad you never got to finishing those other prestige classes, Gareth.