PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever used the D20 modern wealth system fo DnD?

Sir_Chivalry
2011-03-06, 03:51 PM
Basically I'm wondering if anyone has ever used the d20 modern wealth system in 3.5 DnD, and if so, how did you do it?

Just something I'm wondering.

Tokiko Mima
2011-03-06, 04:31 PM
The one time I've ever tried using the d20 modern Wealth system in d20 modern, a player created an infinite wealth loop by buying and selling themselves into billionaire-hood. On further examination, it's possible to do this, even accidently, the moment you begin selling anything by the Wealth rules.

So I stopped using it in d20 modern. It doesn't really work without some revision, so I can't see using it in DnD. Why would you want to?

Sir_Chivalry
2011-03-06, 06:19 PM
The one time I've ever tried using the d20 modern Wealth system in d20 modern, a player created an infinite wealth loop by buying and selling themselves into billionaire-hood. On further examination, it's possible to do this, even accidently, the moment you begin selling anything by the Wealth rules.

So I stopped using it in d20 modern. It doesn't really work without some revision, so I can't see using it in DnD. Why would you want to?

How did they manage that? When you sell something in the Wealth rules, you reduce it's purchase DC by 3 first, so you're less likely to gain back more unless you're selling things far outside your wealth range, in which case it's variable as to which is higher, Wealth lost from the purchase, and wealth gained from the sale. I could see this leading to a gain here and there, but not an infinite wealth loop. Please explain, as I would like to inform my d20modern DM of this flaw in the system so he can watch for it.

As for your question, I read once in Rich's New World series that he'd suggest using it in a Dark Ages game where you have to get most things through either requesting them from your lord or using your lord's resources to get things from others. Just seemed like an interesting way to go about things.

Sith_Happens
2011-03-07, 03:49 AM
How did they manage that? When you sell something in the Wealth rules, you reduce it's purchase DC by 3 first, so you're less likely to gain back more unless you're selling things far outside your wealth range, in which case it's variable as to which is higher, Wealth lost from the purchase, and wealth gained from the sale. I could see this leading to a gain here and there, but not an infinite wealth loop. Please explain, as I would like to inform my d20modern DM of this flaw in the system so he can watch for it.

Not to mention that buying anything with a DC of 15 or more decreases your bonus by 1 no matter how high your bonus is beforehand (which is stupid to begin with; your typical millionaire would not feel a noticable effect on his purchasing power when he buys a single 35mm camera).

Heliomance
2011-03-07, 08:22 AM
I'm running a modern day game in D&D, and I'm trying to use the wealth system. I gave up on trying to work out how to price magic items though, so I copped out and implemented "faerie gold", used to buy supenatural stuff while wealth is entirely mundane.

Tyndmyr
2011-03-07, 09:31 AM

This is pretty much the problem.

It's simple, really. Components cost less than combinations of items. Consider that combining items is completely normal in D20 modern, such as with weapon mods.

So...it's entirely easy to have something with a selling DC higher than the component purchase DCs. If the component DCs are below 15, you've just earned wealth. The entire wealth system is extremely easy to game, and is probably the first step along the path to D20M crazy optimization.

I strongly recommend against importing it to D&D. Hell, even the ability to take 20 on wealth checks...or just roll really well, can result in players having rather ludicrous starting equipment, and access to essentially infinite amounts of anything cheap.

Ernir
2011-03-08, 08:50 AM
I asked the same question (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170870) a few months ago.

Looks like no, it hasn't been (successfully) tried.