The Giant
2011-03-06, 06:17 PM
New comic is up.

C-Lam
2011-03-06, 06:19 PM
yay. finally,

CoffeeIncluded
So many ways Geoff's statements could be interpreted...

Exitus
And that my friends is a shining example of how to run a title-pun.

pendell
So it is.

That last panel? That LAST PANEL! I'd squirt milk out my nose if I was drinking milk.

AND WE GET TO SEE AZURE CITY AGAIN! YAY!!!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

geekwraith
Awesome reuse of a favorite quote. :smallamused:

Llelldorin
2011-03-06, 06:21 PM
Wow. A punchline off of a comic six years old. Now that is a brick joke.

GLaDOS
2011-03-06, 06:22 PM
Is this the end for Belkar?

Barbin
2011-03-06, 06:24 PM
So it is.

That last panel? That LAST PANEL! I'd squirt milk out my nose if I was drinking milk.

AND WE GET TO SEE AZURE CITY AGAIN! YAY!!!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

I'd pass you the milk that I was sipping, but I had to wash it off my laptop.

Warren Dew
2011-03-06, 06:25 PM
The last panel seems kind of forced to me, but I'm glad some people are enjoying it.

So how is the protector of the breadless/stealer of bread thing supposed to go, again?

John Cribati
2011-03-06, 06:26 PM
Beauty, they name is Rich Burlew. Best call-back since half-camel V.

Calemyr
2011-03-06, 06:27 PM
Paladins learning from and emulating Belkar... this can only lead to good things.

Ted The Bug
2011-03-06, 06:28 PM
One of the best comics in a while? I say yes.
And I can't wait for 'absolutely nothing' to be posted on the news page in the next week or so.

Comet
The last panel: so good.

Gift Jeraff
Good strip. Really liking this Geoff mystery so far.

Paladins learning from and emulating Belkar... this can only lead to good things.
Technically, it's a fighter/rogue emulating Belkar. :smalltongue:

Marnath
2011-03-06, 06:29 PM
Hopefully Belkar's fate arrives soon so we can enjoy a momentary 40% drop in the number of wild theories as to how he will cheat the prophecy. Also, nice call-back.

fractal
2011-03-06, 06:30 PM
Belkar's going to need a bit more Bluff to beat Ian's Sense Motive.

Doesn't look good for Geoff being innocent of Ian's imprisonment. Maybe he's being coerced, though - he sounded hopeful that Bozzok might be dead.

Nice callback to Belkar+Miko. Niu's got a slightly better claim to being oppressed than Belkar did.

NegativeFifteen
2011-03-06, 06:31 PM
I'm waiting for Niu's character to be developed further. She's funny.

Gaius
2011-03-06, 06:32 PM
Oh, wow. :smallbiggrin: I've enjoyed the last few comics, but this is the first in a while with a number of jokes I found hilarious throughout. And the end of strip punchline is still the funniest. Kudos, Giant!

All while nicely advancing the plot, too. Geoff's been the subject of a lot of scrutiny and theorizing, and his response to the off-handed Bozzok discussion probably hasn't won him points with too many people. I wonder how things might have played out if Belkar hadn't corrected him...

SaintRidley
2011-03-06, 06:33 PM
Points to Niu. She knows how to operate.

Woodsman
2011-03-06, 06:34 PM
Well, that was brilliant!

I honestly don't think I've seen a bad or even "meh" comic (in my opinion) for a very long time with this arc.

This just gets better and better! :smallbiggrin:

Mr. Snuggles
2011-03-06, 06:35 PM
Is it me, or is Geoff's :smalleek: "eek" expression almost twice as large as the typical OOTS "eek" expression?

And if so, what does that mean? I'm guessing an abnormal interest in Bozzok's survival? I just can't fathom what kind of payment would make a man voluntarily go to a horrible prison where he is put into deadly peril again and again. Heck, Geoff lost his leg. Sure, a cleric can cast regenerate but it's not like there's one in prison. My guess is on "misguided good intentions" because Geoff thinks he's saving Ian from something or other.

Belkar does look adorable in his little gladiator armor. Somehow I don't think that effect was intended. Belkar has never looked cute before. Is this what will win the heart of the noblewoman in the crowd? Roy has a girlfriend so he can't do it.

Morph Bark
2011-03-06, 06:39 PM
Poor Belkar and his lost lead sheet... handy use it got though!

Zevox
2011-03-06, 06:40 PM
Okay, I don't know what exactly prompted (Niu, was it?) to say that line in the last panel, but damn was it hillarious :smallbiggrin: . Great strip.

Zevox

Crisis21
2011-03-06, 06:40 PM
That is the greatest gag revival ever!

G-Man Graves
2011-03-06, 06:41 PM
Oh that poor, tan sucker. He has no idea what he's in for.

Surfing HalfOrc
2011-03-06, 06:41 PM
Nice redo of a great joke! Of course, that makes Niu CG most likely. Chaotic because the laws are for other people, good because otherwise she wouldn't need the lead sheet.

And while Belkar grumbles about Listen Checks, it's apparant that he failed his spot check as well.

blazingshadow
2011-03-06, 06:42 PM
so will we see the other fights or do we go back to the azure city revolution for a while?

edit: first page? weird...

Lord Loss
2011-03-06, 06:45 PM
Hilarious comic, loved the end :smallbiggrin:.

mastermind
2011-03-06, 06:46 PM
Belkar is an influence on everyone! Haley, the resistance, V...

Mr. Snuggles
2011-03-06, 06:47 PM
so will we see the other fights or do we go back to the azure city revolution for a while?
No, this is just the one frame that shows they're still there. Much like Xykon's "nuts" panel or the sending to Hinjo. It will be months if not years of real time before we get back to that part of the story (especially at one update per week).

Mastikator
2011-03-06, 06:48 PM
As much as the revolution in Goblintopia (formerly known as Azure City) would be very interesting, I feel that it's kind of irrelevant to all of the important characters and the main story line. And it would steal attention from the current story line which imo is more interesting.

JonestheSpy
2011-03-06, 06:51 PM
Totally awesome. I really think Niu is my favorite minor character.

Too bad about the noble Gladiator guy. I thought maybe we'd just see him from the distance doing his own plotline, but I doubt he's going to last too long - though I suppose it's possible he's better than we expect, if the fighters are matched to make a good show.

As for Geoff, I'm guessing he's been blackmailed or threatened into keeping Ian neutralized for Bozzok.

fractal
2011-03-06, 06:51 PM
Since I don't think it's been linked to yet: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0202.html gives a bit of context to the last panel.

cho_j
2011-03-06, 06:52 PM
Okay, I don't know what exactly prompted (Niu, was it?) to say that line in the last panel, but damn was it hillarious :smallbiggrin: . Great strip.

Zevox

I'm not entirely sure, but I assume she was saying it because the goblins are in fact oppressing the humans, so it's a NON-sarcastic use of Belkar's old outburst. When he said it, he was play-acting and trying to rile Miko up. When Niu says it, she means every word and whispering so as not to be heard. I REALLY like how perfectly reversed the moment is.

Guywiththecoat
2011-03-06, 06:52 PM
"stop oppressing my culture you enthnocentric bitch!"
now my favorite reoccuring line.

Prospekt
2011-03-06, 06:56 PM
It's called a joke, guys, I seriously doubt we're going back to former Azure City because of some references to Miko's and Belkar's shenanigans.

Because if that DOES happen, I'm going to take someone and be responsible for putting steel where their kidneys used to be. Let's get to the action already, I'm sick of all this endless talking and talking.

Detrinex
2011-03-06, 06:57 PM
Aw man, I don't wanna see Belkar die.

Sengoku
2011-03-06, 06:59 PM
The.last.panel.is.AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brings back memories...:smallbiggrin:

Chaos rising
2011-03-06, 07:03 PM
Who else thinks that the "heroic" gladiator is going to get slaughtered?

JSSheridan
Thanks Giant!

comicshorse

Zevox

Most magic items have a phrase to activate them:smallsmile:

PsychedelicBard
2011-03-06, 07:07 PM

Well, I think it would be anti-climatic for Belkar to be killed by some random guy. So yeah, the gladiator's dead.

Orzel
2011-03-06, 07:10 PM
Belkar's impression on the world shall be grand.

brionl
2011-03-06, 07:10 PM
Well, I think it would be anti-climatic for Belkar to be killed by some random guy. So yeah, the gladiator's dead.

Oooh! Maybe Belkar is going to get crushed by a lead sheet mysteriously falling out of the sky!

Kingscourt
2011-03-06, 07:13 PM
Too bad about the noble Gladiator guy. I thought maybe we'd just see him from the distance doing his own plotline, but I doubt he's going to last too long - though I suppose it's possible he's better than we expect, if the fighters are matched to make a good show.

The fighters are also matched so that the best fighters slaughter the worst ones, if I'm not mistaken. (Panel 5) (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0746.html) :smallbiggrin:

Anyways, great comic, loved the last panel.

faustin
2011-03-06, 07:14 PM
I congratulate that Rich someway bothers to answer forumīs question like the "Silent Dinosaur".
Also, I like Niu scene too.

dracoslaad
2011-03-06, 07:19 PM
That is an excellent way to be sneaky. Glad that Thanh took Haley's advice.

Gnome Alone
2011-03-06, 07:21 PM
That lady hobgoblin cleric is awesome. I mean, she looks cool.

PirateMonk
2011-03-06, 07:22 PM
Why does Belkar's opponent only have one shoulder plate?

squiremarcus
2011-03-06, 07:24 PM
HOW WILL BELKAR PROVE HIS MANHOOD WITHOUT HIS LEAD SHEET!!!

nice comic :smallbiggrin:

Alex Warlorn
2011-03-06, 07:25 PM
Is this the end for Belkar?

I doubt it. There's no way Belkar's enormous ego would allow him to lose to a random Gladiator.

I honestly feel sorry for the Gladiator, he seems like a relatively decent guy (we don't know if he's good or evil but he seems to have some positive traits), and he seems interested in taking out Belkar because Belkar's a self-serving bully.

I know we have no way to know his fighting ability to comparison to Belkar, but the sad part is that it DOESN'T matter because Belkar's shield of protagonist invincibility is still going strong in spite of being prophesied to bite the big one before this story reaches the final.

In short, the poor Gladiator doesn't stand a chance against Belkar simply because there would be no drama in Belkar losing to a no-face nobody (as fitting being given a meaningless death for all the meaningless death he's caused would be).

Assassin89
2011-03-06, 07:25 PM
Why does Belkar's opponent only have one shoulder plate?

So his bleeding can be more visible. Gladiator armor was meant for minimal protection so that there is a better chance of blood being shed. I'm not sure how much blood from both sides there will be in the end of his match.

Kato
2011-03-06, 07:26 PM
Ah, epic punch line/panel. I laughed hard. Hehe.

But Belkar's recycling Xykon's jokes, he used the Scooby Doo reference back some time. (I think when he read the Scribble diary(?).

Anyway, wonder what's up with Ian's friend (yeah, forgot the name) I guess one could guess...

Alex Warlorn
2011-03-06, 07:27 PM
Belkar's impression on the world shall be grand.

I look foreword to a Belkar shaped hole in the ground.

Swordpriest
2011-03-06, 07:30 PM
Good to see Thanh and Niu again, even if it's just for a second. :smallbiggrin:

Well, Geoff's definitely complicit with Bozzok somehow. Of course, there's no clue yet as to whether it's voluntary or involuntary, but he's sure involved with the half orc and thus with Ian's disappearance.

Conuly
2011-03-06, 07:31 PM
Well, I think it would be anti-climatic for Belkar to be killed by some random guy.

Yeah, but that'd be HILARIOUS.

Alex Warlorn
2011-03-06, 07:32 PM

I know. Too bad. Being killed by a random dude who wants Belkar to pay up for all the reckless bullying he's done to the other prisoners would nice, if he can render Belkar's speechless with an expression of pure hatred etched on his tiny features.

It's a pity this guy's seemingly genuine sense of justice and honor isn't going be a powerful enough lance to pierce Belkar's Protagonist Shield Of Invincibility.

Alex Warlorn
2011-03-06, 07:35 PM

Just one more relatively decent, not all that bad person, crushed into a bloody stain by the Empire of Blood's massive machine.

Alex Warlorn
2011-03-06, 07:37 PM
I'm not entirely sure, but I assume she was saying it because the goblins are in fact oppressing the humans, so it's a NON-sarcastic use of Belkar's old outburst. When he said it, he was play-acting and trying to rile Miko up. When Niu says it, she means every word and whispering so as not to be heard. I REALLY like how perfectly reversed the moment is.

I fully and utterly agree. If Belkar wasn't so egocentric, I'd imagine he'd almost be UPSET that something he owned or did is having the direct result of people LIVING rather than having a bloody brawl.

And yes, it is a lovely reversal.

Geno9999
2011-03-06, 07:41 PM
Last panel: Brick joke for the WIN!

Shatteredtower
2011-03-06, 07:50 PM
Marvellous work.

I think some readers are invoking the PSoI thinking it will goad the Giant into killing Belkar here. It happens when it does, whether here, by Snarl, or by cucumber sandwich.

Calmness
2011-03-06, 08:03 PM
Oh lead sheet, how I missed you.

Azuyomi244
2011-03-06, 08:05 PM
Bwahahahahahahahah :smallbiggrin:

I bet the heroic dude is going to be anti-climatically killed in his fight with Belkar.

Warren Dew
2011-03-06, 08:23 PM
It's a pity this guy's seemingly genuine sense of justice and honor isn't going be a powerful enough lance to pierce Belkar's Protagonist Shield Of Invincibility.
I'm thinking all the extra levels are as important as the protagonist status - assuming the random guy isn't a super high level who is so excessively lawful he refuses to escape.

Personally, I'd prefer to see Belkar one shotted like he did to the gnome - by a complete stranger who doesn't even care who he is. Preferably one who happens to be a paladin.

Blaznak
2011-03-06, 08:24 PM
Shweet! Belkar is always working an angle!

Jimorian
2011-03-06, 08:27 PM
And the weapon handed to Belkar that he'll use to kill gladiator dude: breadsticks.

Yendor
2011-03-06, 08:29 PM
Rich has thrown a big twist in here. The warden gave us the basic setup (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0736.html): one of them defends a weaker guy from bullies, weaker guy gets killed, stronger guy gets vengeance. We were led to believe that this guy was the stronger one of the pair. But his buddy hasn't even been in the arena yet, so there can't be vengeance. So this guy must really be the weaker gladiator. And who's been defending him from bullies, and giving his bread away? Why, it's Roy. So Roy will kill Belkar in a big climactic match.

RebelRogue
2011-03-06, 08:48 PM
Last panel: Brick joke for the WIN!
Isn't it more of a Call Back than a Brick Joke? Or is my Trope-Fu weak here?

Zevox
2011-03-06, 08:49 PM
I know that, I mean why she actually said it. She's hiding, speaking aloud isn't the brightest idea at the time. Plus it's a statement that directly addresses someone ("you ethnocentric bitch!"), which doesn't make sense for her to just whisper to herself. It just doesn't seem like she's in a situation where she'd actually use that line, appropriate for the overall state of Azure City or not.

Zevox

M.A.D
2011-03-06, 08:52 PM
Rich has thrown a big twist in here. The warden gave us the basic setup (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0736.html): one of them defends a weaker guy from bullies, weaker guy gets killed, stronger guy gets vengeance. We were led to believe that this guy was the stronger one of the pair. But his buddy hasn't even been in the arena yet, so there can't be vengeance. So this guy must really be the weaker gladiator. And who's been defending him from bullies, and giving his bread away? Why, it's Roy. So Roy will kill Belkar in a big climactic match.

What happened to unexplored homosexual overtone and rejecting amorous advancement of beautiful noble woman?

QDI
2011-03-06, 08:58 PM
Belkar/Gladiator confrontation is very nicely set up.

1/ Nobody imagines Belkar, a protagonist, been killed by a random guy without a name.

2/ But, as someone stressed, it would make sense to see the random killer been killed by a random guy.

3/ The gladiator looks too confident to die in the Arena.

Well, we'll see but as a fan of Mr. Scruffy's companion, I really hope he stays with us a little bit more.

Nerocite
2011-03-06, 09:01 PM
I'm guessing it's going to end with a thumbs up.

Jimorian
2011-03-06, 09:15 PM
Belkar/Gladiator confrontation is very nicely set up.

1/ Nobody imagines Belkar, a protagonist, been killed by a random guy without a name.

2/ But, as someone stressed, it would make sense to see the random killer been killed by a random guy.

Well, we'll see but as a fan of Mr. Scruffy's companion, I really hope he stays with us a little bit more.

Come on, the odds are a million-to-one against the mook killing Belkar!

Yendor
2011-03-06, 09:16 PM
What happened to unexplored homosexual overtone and rejecting amorous advancement of beautiful noble woman?

Well, there's this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0753.html) for starters. :smallwink: (Justice Guy isn't there, but it's along the right lines.) And he never said it would be the same one who attracted the noblewoman.

Raistlin82
2011-03-06, 09:29 PM
Hehehehe... nice self-quote at the end.

...because that would be anti-climax and disappointing. So it probably won't happen.

Your reasoning is based on a pun? A bad pun that doesn't even make much sense?
No. Nobody ever called Belkar "the random killer", and matter of fact is he doesn't kill "at random".
Even if he did, this sillogism would still be poor. It would not make sense.

The gladiator looks obviously like a pompous Lawful Stupid (or Stupid Good, if you wish) guy, reminding us of Miko, as LAMPSHADED IN CLEAR LETTERS by Belkar himself... so we won't feel too bad about a main character killing a good-aligned NPC. :smallwink:
Remember the Azurite guard? The one that got resurrected? It's unlikely that any gladiator Belkar gets to fight will be resurrected. So... it has to be some **** that we don't like and don't really care about.

Since the comics started, the Giant went to a great length to keep Belkar's collateral damage at a minimum, at least for the good guys. It's the only way to keep a Token Evil Member in the party for such a long time.
Of course, if he has to go... this could change any minute... and he could kill really anyone.
The Miko rip-off still doesn't have a chance, either way...

jidasfire
2011-03-06, 09:31 PM
While it is entirely possible and even likely that Belkar is going to kill the other gladiator, it would be a good chance for him to show off his fake character development by showing mercy. Occasionally in these types of stories, a gladiator does win points with the crowd that way. That or he might steal Roy's idea of getting in good with Tarquin by being the most efficient killer on the field.

In either case, Belkar's not dying here, and in my opinion, not even in this arc. He still has to save Hinjo again before he dies.

Kareasint
2011-03-06, 09:35 PM

Don't forget that that means it is a sure thing (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0584.html). A copper piece may have changed hands already. :smalltongue:

Velaryon
2011-03-06, 09:41 PM
As much as the revolution in Goblintopia (formerly known as Azure City) would be very interesting, I feel that it's kind of irrelevant to all of the important characters and the main story line. And it would steal attention from the current story line which imo is more interesting.

Agreed. If we see anything more than the occasional glance back at Azure City, it will probably be as bonus material in the next book. There's no reason for any strips to focus there anymore.

I do. As others have pointed out, this guy killing Belkar would be random and pointless, and not at all good storytelling. Much more interesting is the question of whether Belkar will kill the gladiator or use this opportunity to advance his fake character development.

rewinn
2011-03-06, 09:46 PM
Ian easily made the "Listen" check in panel 2 (I assume the small type in Roy's and Belkar's balloons suggest they're speaking sotto voce), and also seems to have a very accurate grasp of Belkar's nature (...or is that just Ian's paranoia speaking?), but completely fails any sort of "Sense Motive" against Geoff, whose comments concerning Bozzek are very suspicous.

HalfTangible
2011-03-06, 09:55 PM
Ian easily made the "Listen" check in panel 2 (I assume the small type in Roy's and Belkar's balloons suggest they're speaking sotto voce), and also seems to have a very accurate grasp of Belkar's nature (...or is that just Ian's paranoia speaking?), but completely fails any sort of "Sense Motive" against Geoff, whose comments concerning Bozzek are very suspicous.

It's possible he simply hasn't made any. Remember, he always trusts family, "for good or ill".

Bozzok mentioned he sent letters to his friends on the western continent, and Ian always gets caught while trying to escape. Anybody else see a connection here?

iowaforever
2011-03-06, 09:56 PM
I forgot about the lead sheet... nice to see it again:smalltongue:

Badgercloak
2011-03-06, 10:11 PM
YES! That's my one of my favorite Belkar lines. Giant you ROCK!

ricorum
2011-03-06, 10:12 PM
That. Was. Beautiful.

QDI
2011-03-06, 10:12 PM
@Raistlin82: I mostly agree with you.

Just a point: Miko was "lawful stupid", this guy seems more to be a "Stupid good" whose death is a bit harder to justify.

Much more interesting is the question of whether Belkar will kill the gladiator or use this opportunity to advance his fake character development.

Good point.

Martok
2011-03-06, 10:43 PM
Yet another very funny strip in a long line of funny strips. I love the brick joke in the last panel!

Mr. Snuggles
2011-03-06, 10:48 PM
I don't see anything "stupid good" about Belkar's opponent. He seems to be a genuinely good man who is outraged at Belkar's bullying and wishes nothing more than to deliver pure, righteous justice at the point of a sword.

It will be interesting to see if Belkar does his typical "bounce around everywhere like a crazed munchkin" combat technique - despite the fact that he has been without his Ring of Jumping +20 ever since being arrested. He did it in #748 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0748.html) - plot hole?

ungolhir
2011-03-06, 10:53 PM
Giant, you are truly magnificent. Such a good comic, to incorporate the sneaking dinosaur, and then the Belkar callback...just...magnificent. We truly love this comic. So say we all.

Cheers!

MoonCat
2011-03-06, 10:57 PM
Awesome. I love Belkar, although his attempt to gain Ian's favor annoyed me. I'm very curious about Geoff now, he seemed very concerned or disbelieving that Bozzak might be dead. I'm looking forward to the next strip now, which I bet will have Belkar fighting Other-Guy (who lead the attack against Belkar the first time.)

Also, I love the name and callback. It's nice to see That Niu and Thanh are doing okay.

M.A.D
2011-03-06, 10:58 PM
Belkar is supposed to savour his birthday cake first, so he's not dying any time soon

Ron Miel
2011-03-06, 11:03 PM

Just a point: Miko was "lawful stupid", this guy seems more to be a "Stupid good" whose death is a bit harder to justify.

I don't think there's anything to indicate that he's either good or lawful. He might be, I just haven't seen any indication of it.

Swordpriest
2011-03-06, 11:05 PM
Belkar is supposed to savour his birthday cake first, so he's not dying any time soon

Methinks that's just a euphemism for "he's going to die before he sees another birthday after this one", but carry on .... :smallsigh:

Swordpriest
2011-03-06, 11:06 PM

How is he "stupid good"? For being outraged by the outrageous behavior of Belkar? :smallconfused:

binyamin20
2011-03-06, 11:22 PM
Nothing like waking up at 6:00 to alarge dose of ZING!

Dvandemon
2011-03-06, 11:26 PM
Yes Ian, because sitting next to Tarquin makes Elan an evil monster *rolls eyes*
It's possible he simply hasn't made any. Remember, he always trusts family, "for good or ill".

Bozzok mentioned he sent letters to his friends on the western continent, and Ian always gets caught while trying to escape. Anybody else see a connection here?

That would be so funny that Ian is shunning help when the real trouble is right under his nose.

Clertar
2011-03-06, 11:28 PM
Heh nice referencing. The lead sheet's first appearence is just my favourite OOTS moment :tongue:

Dr.Epic
2011-03-06, 11:33 PM
Did the lead sheet get bigger? It's like a tower shield for a human, yet Belkar could use it fine before.

QDI
2011-03-06, 11:34 PM
How is he "stupid good"? For being outraged by the outrageous behavior of Belkar? :smallconfused:

Yeah, yeah. It was just a (completely failed) attempt to show that Miko may be "Lawful stupid" but he seems to be mostly good, associated to the fact that he has been slightly ridiculous since we know him.

Well, it was even a compliment :)

aart lover
2011-03-06, 11:34 PM
haley's dad is starting to get on my nerves:smallmad:. but the rest i literally lol'd:smallbiggrin:. i laughed so hard at the reuse of an old joke. good work, giant.

Lurkmoar
2011-03-06, 11:54 PM
Nice that lead works both ways. Good strip.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-07, 12:02 AM
Nice that lead works both ways. Good strip.

It goes both ways? So it's True Neutral like Julia?

Morgan Wick
2011-03-07, 12:06 AM

The only thing that would make it more perfect is if a paladin was saying it. Then it would show that when the deck is stacked the other way, they're not that different from Belkar.

Ah, epic punch line/panel. I laughed hard. Hehe.

But Belkar's recycling Xykon's jokes, he used the Scooby Doo reference back some time. (I think when he read the Scribble diary(?).

:xykon:: ...and Dorukan's Gate. Which I would have opened by now, if it weren't for those meddling kids.

KoboldRevenge
2011-03-07, 12:18 AM
Ah this is a wonderful strip if this fight is his last I'd not be sad. :smallamused:

Nimrod's Son
2011-03-07, 12:21 AM
Just so you know, "Belkar should savour his next birthday cake, 'cause it's the last one he'll ever get" and "Belkar will definitely have another birthday cake, and we'll see him eating it in-comic" are not even nearly the same thing.

RickDaily12
2011-03-07, 12:28 AM
OMG. I swear, I have NEVER laughed that hard before at the end of a comic strip. Awesome return of the lost lead sheet!:smallbiggrin:

And here comes our more... err... ...protective partner of the homosexual pair whose relationship isn't fully explored before one of them dies? Hmm, using the term "vile behavior"... this is probably going to be Miko Miyazaki II- Electric Bugaloo, in the flesh. Or maybe just another no-name random instead of a paladin; who knows?

Sad to see that Mr. Starshine is too insecure to see a brand new logical path... why wouldn't he press Roy, at least, on his goal with his party? They're both tied to the same fate, in theory, I don't see the point of him being this hostile to two other fellow prisoners. They JUST met.

MoonCat
2011-03-07, 12:29 AM
Is that the first female cleric hobgoblin we've seen?

Gift Jeraff
2011-03-07, 12:41 AM
They're both tied to the same fate, in theory, I don't see the point of him being this hostile to two other fellow prisoners. They JUST met.
I don't see him being hostile to Roy. Heck, before Haley showed up, he was teaching Roy about the Empire and trying to recruit him (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0769.html).

Alex Warlorn
2011-03-07, 12:53 AM
Your reasoning is based on a pun?

In this comic? It would make perfect sense.

Ganurath
2011-03-07, 12:53 AM
I was highly amused by this comic. Then I considered that Belkar must have had the lead sheet out at some point for the resistance to think to take it, and that he might have shared the stories pertaining to it with those who would listen. And now, a quote from one of those stories. Brilliant!

Gift Jeraff
2011-03-07, 12:58 AM
He probably needed it to avoid Thanh's Detect Evil on missions.

Bleak Ink
2011-03-07, 01:20 AM
The cutaway to Gobbotopia disbanded my Sunday Night Blues unlike anything I have ever seen before. Fan-freaking-tastic!

Azukar
2011-03-07, 01:32 AM
Niu's line made me think of Cargo Cult. As in, "okay, so if I hold up this lead sheet and chant the line, 'stop oppressing my culture, you ethnocentric bitch', then their magical detection spells can't find me!"

aabicus
2011-03-07, 01:35 AM
A tyrannosaur that knows Move Silently is nothing new. '''Jurassic Park''' had one of those years ago.

Hann
2011-03-07, 01:47 AM
Disappointed there was no "Clever Girl..." reference with the T-Rex. (Yes, I know the movie did it with Raptors.)

Great comic though.

Geordnet
2011-03-07, 02:18 AM
New theory: Belkar is the tough-looking guy who gets knocked out first round to show how strong the champion is.

And PS: If there were Raptors in this comic, they'd be on hoverboards. :smallbiggrin:

KingFlameHawk
2011-03-07, 02:28 AM
After reading most of the posts it seems that the idea is that either Belkar will quickly and anti-climaticly kill his opponent or Belkar will be anti-climaticly killed. Am I the only one who wants to see a big climatic battle that shows off Belkars skill (with Belkar winning of course). Or (more likely) we get a page of Roy and the others talking and we see Belakr has won and everyone is saying how awesome the battle was.

Kichiku
2011-03-07, 02:42 AM

No, one or two were seen in SoD as far as I recall.

Anyway, nice reusage of one of my favourite quotes from Belkar :smallbiggrin:

I hope Belkar won't have an anti-climaxic death here though. He should go out in a more impressive way than that, so I'm hoping for his death to be saved for another strip/opponent - or, if he has to face his death here, that it'll be a hard-fought battle, with neither defeating the other onw easily...

factotum
2011-03-07, 02:44 AM
It will be interesting to see if Belkar does his typical "bounce around everywhere like a crazed munchkin" combat technique - despite the fact that he has been without his Ring of Jumping +20 ever since being arrested. He did it in #748 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0748.html) - plot hole?

No, he just uses his Halfling Rage Jumping Attack (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0176.html), but without the ring he can't jump far enough to take an extra round to come back down.

JonestheSpy
2011-03-07, 03:04 AM

I think so, yes.

Themrys
2011-03-07, 04:38 AM
I know that, I mean why she actually said it. She's hiding, speaking aloud isn't the brightest idea at the time. Plus it's a statement that directly addresses someone ("you ethnocentric bitch!"), which doesn't make sense for her to just whisper to herself. It just doesn't seem like she's in a situation where she'd actually use that line, appropriate for the overall state of Azure City or not.

Zevox

Maybe it doesn't make sense to whisper something that directly adresses something, but people do it. This is especially common with insults one could get in trouble for if the person addressed would hear it.
Therefore, it does make sense.

Of course, it'd be even funnier if she thinks she has to chant the magical words in order for the lead sheet to work. :smallbiggrin:

I hope Belkar is killed by that gladiator, or, if he wins, decides not to kill him in order to show off his fake character development.
After all, he has forsworn kill-stealing, and the protective gladiator guy is the bread-stealing gladiator guy's archnemesis.

Maybe it was Belkar's birthday when they came to the gladiator prison, and he has stolen all the bread as a substitute for his birthday cake?

faustin
2011-03-07, 04:43 AM
I just realize the guard called Belkar for his true name, not "Espartacus". Is it because the chief is not there or because the guard is careful of offending "The Belkster"?

Killer Angel
2011-03-07, 04:52 AM
I love lead sheets. So important, for the world's culture, and yet so little valued by many... :smallbiggrin:

suszterpatt
2011-03-07, 05:02 AM
Ha, excellent punchline, right out of left field. Thumbs up.

BlueWizard
2011-03-07, 05:15 AM
:smallcool:

Burner28
2011-03-07, 05:44 AM
:smallcool:

By the way I wanted to point something out, but is this the first femlae goblin enemy we have seen? Because I believe it is... Just something minor

Nice redo of a great joke! Of course, that makes Niu CG most likely. Chaotic because the laws are for other people, good because otherwise she wouldn't need the lead sheet

We don't really know enough about her to conclude anything other than she is definetly of a Good alignment. She could be Lawful, Neutral or Chaotic

RickDaily12
2011-03-07, 07:40 AM
I don't see him being hostile to Roy. Heck, before Haley showed up, he was teaching Roy about the Empire and trying to recruit him (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0769.html).

I know that. I'm talking about AFTER Haley left. Now he's just being unreasonably grouchy. Also, I wouldn't say that he was being hostile before she showed up, but as he explains to Haley in her one-on-one chat with him later, I seriously doubt he had the best of intentions- except toward him, her, and Geoff.

In any case, I'm just wondering as to why, in both cases, before and after she showed up, that he's acting the way he is. He's a prisoner on death row. He's not in the bargaining position to con someone as it stands right now. Or to go hating on uninvolved people after a spat with his daughter. Does he not realize that yet?

Herald Alberich
2011-03-07, 09:02 AM
I just realize the guard called Belkar for his true name, not "Espartacus". Is it because the chief is not there or because the guard is careful of offending "The Belkster"?

No? The joke is that a good percentage of the other gladiators actually are named Spartacus. In the referenced movie, they were just pretending, to hide the real Spartacus, but here, it's true. But Belkar's name is Belkar.

Onyavar
2011-03-07, 09:15 AM
Why does everyone assume that the justice gladiator is a nobody? They are all clothed in rags - this guy could be a hero who is taking the whole arena-thing seriously, and wants to win the fights and the heart of the beautiful noblewoman, so that he can reject her amorous advances.

You know, he must have shown some competence, or he wouldn't fight against Belkar. I think we underestimate him. Who knows, maybe he not only has a name, but is a well-known fighter.

I estimate his chances as slim, though.

DougTheHead
2011-03-07, 09:43 AM
How sure are we that Belkar has had his Ring of Jumping taken away? He managed to hold onto it the last time he was in prison. It could just be that magic items don't work within the anti-magic field (which doesn't extend to the arena, as far as I know).

Why does everyone assume that the justice gladiator is a nobody? They are all clothed in rags - this guy could be a hero who is taking the whole arena-thing seriously, and wants to win the fights and the heart of the beautiful noblewoman, so that he can reject her amorous advances.

You know, he must have shown some competence, or he wouldn't fight against Belkar. I think we underestimate him. Who knows, maybe he not only has a name, but is a well-known fighter.

I estimate his chances as slim, though.

You heard it here first (unless you didn't):
The "justice gladiator" (great name for him, BTW) is Girard, who is either wearing some type of non-magical disguise or is casting an illusion on himself, and is at such a high level that he can overcome the anti-magic field- assuming you can even do that in D&D. Maybe you can't.

Zarzar
2011-03-07, 11:01 AM
To be honest, I was checking the strips of this arc, and the guy that Belkar is fighting looks the same as the guy from http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0730.html.

If that's the case, then he's not a "good" guy at all, just really pissed at Belkar for stealing his buddy's bread. Probably didn't help though, that Belkar was the one causing the barfight which got the local police involved and ultimately got the whole lot of them arrested.

Here's to hoping that the guy brings more to the table than a few seconds before getting "Thumbs down AND wiggling" from Tarquin.

grimbold
2011-03-07, 11:48 AM
DUN DUN DUUUNNN!!!!
will this be the end for belkar?
I hope not

Roderick_BR
2011-03-07, 12:06 PM
That last panel just made my day :smallbiggrin:

Mr. Snuggles
2011-03-07, 12:07 PM
How sure are we that Belkar has had his Ring of Jumping taken away? He managed to hold onto it the last time he was in prison. It could just be that magic items don't work within the anti-magic field (which doesn't extend to the arena, as far as I know).
#773 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0773.html) - "Grab my equipment. Belkar's stuff too."

Guards in #748: "Wow, look at that halfling jump around in an obviously magical way that no being his size could possibly do. Come here, little guy, we're going to have to check you for magic items again. Guard Bubba, get out here and get ready for the cavity check."

Nimrod's Son
2011-03-07, 12:31 PM
To be honest, I was checking the strips of this arc, and the guy that Belkar is fighting looks the same as the guy from http://http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0730.html.

If that's the case, then he's not a "good" guy at all, just really pissed at Belkar for stealing his buddy's bread. Probably didn't help though, that Belkar was the one causing the barfight which got the local police involved and ultimately got the whole lot of them arrested.
It's not the same guy. Different hair shape and colour, different skin colour.

Ron Miel
2011-03-07, 12:34 PM
When last mentioned, Roy had the ring.

And although it's not explicitly stated, he makes a great big leap here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0689.html). It looks like he still has it.

RndmNumGen
2011-03-07, 12:50 PM
When last mentioned, Roy had the ring.

And although it's not explicitly stated, he makes a great big leap here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0689.html). It looks like he still has it.
Roy was a corpse for a significant amount of time after he was given the ring though. Why would Belkar not take it back? Why leave it on the corpse?

MoonCat
2011-03-07, 01:25 PM
Who thinks the next strip will have no words except for the lat panel, coming from Haley or Elan or V talking to eachother. The rest will be fight scene.

SoC175
2011-03-07, 02:46 PM
It will be interesting to see if Belkar does his typical "bounce around everywhere like a crazed munchkin" combat technique - despite the fact that he has been without his Ring of Jumping +20 ever since being arrested. He did it in #748 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0748.html) - plot hole? No plot hole. None of his jumps in 748 are cover a height/distance that a str-based character of Belkar's level would need a ring of jumping to perform

Draconi Redfir
2011-03-07, 02:47 PM
Long live Gobbotopia!!!

DougTheHead
2011-03-07, 02:57 PM
It's not the same guy. Different hair shape and colour, different skin colour.

Hair shape looks the same to me, as does the hair and skin color. On the other hand, the warlock had his papers, so if he was imprisoned, it would have to be over a separate offense.

On the other other hand, the type of guy who begins firing off spells at someone who accidentally bumps into him is bound to end up in jail pretty soon in a place like the Empire of Blood.

#773 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0773.html) - "Grab my equipment. Belkar's stuff too."

Guards in #748: "Wow, look at that halfling jump around in an obviously magical way that no being his size could possibly do. Come here, little guy, we're going to have to check you for magic items again. Guard Bubba, get out here and get ready for the cavity check."

Those could indicate Belkar doesn't have his Ring of Jumping, but neither is definitive proof. Belkar's ring isn't his only piece of equipment, and he would probably want the rest of his stuff picked up. Plus, he probably wouldn't tell Roy if he had smuggled the ring in, and even if he had, it wouldn't have changed anything about that dialogue balloon.

And there's no indication in 748 that Belkar is using his ring, and even if he has it on, it doesn't mean that he's going to take full advantage of its capabilities until he gets into the arena. Or since Roy's use of the ring (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0429.html) showed that wearing it causes you to take a bunch of small hops upward, Belkar could be timing his hops so that he's only about an inch off the ground when he jumps again, simply making it look like he's bouncing around slightly faster than normal (which would explain the "bouncing halfling" line).

Forum Explorer
2011-03-07, 03:30 PM

Anti-climatic is Belkar's style :smalltongue:

MoonCat
2011-03-07, 03:31 PM
Anti-climatic is Belkar's style :smalltongue:

Is it? I don't recall that anywhere.

St Fan
2011-03-07, 03:31 PM
I can't believe some people are still arguing about Belkar leaving his ring of jumping with Roy's corpse.

Or that the brunchroom warlock and the stronger gladiator could be the same guy.

That's just plain stubborness if you want my opinion.

Of course Belkar took back his ring as soon as he got close to Roy's corpse. We don't need to see him picking it, because it's obvious. And he's jumping a vulture a few panels latter.

And the warlock isn't the gladiator. He had his papers, and the haircut and skin color are different - not by much, but different.

And no, I'm not going to discuss this with anybody. I've stated my case.

PS: And that's "anti-climactic", not "anti-climatic".

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-03-07, 03:37 PM
Hehehe. Nice punchline.

The big question is, does Haley's dad get a chance at redeeming himself in our eyes?

deimos3428
2011-03-07, 04:01 PM
I think Niu is merely reading the words off of the lead sheet. It's possible Belkar inscribed them earlier for Miko to see.

MoonCat
2011-03-07, 04:06 PM
I think Niu is merely reading the words off of the lead sheet. It's possible Belkar inscribed them earlier for Miko to see.

That means she's holding the sheet backwards.

factotum
2011-03-07, 04:25 PM
Or since Roy's use of the ring (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0429.html) showed that wearing it causes you to take a bunch of small hops upward

You might want to take a closer look at the panel you're referring to--Roy jumps onto the crenel between two merlons, then onto the merlon itself, then makes the final big jump onto the dragon; he doesn't just take a bunch of small hops on thin air, as you're implying.

Scarlet Knight
2011-03-07, 05:35 PM
I'm glad to see the Resistance is using a Niu tactic...:smallwink:

Guywiththecoat
2011-03-07, 05:48 PM
Who thinks the next strip will have no words except for the lat panel, coming from Haley or Elan or V talking to eachother. The rest will be fight scene.I think it's very likely. All of Belkars epic fight scenes are silent.

Tobimaro
2011-03-07, 06:10 PM
Laughs all around, but my favorite was Belkar's rework of the Robin Hood story. "Stealing from the nutrient-rich and giving to the amusement-poor." :smallbiggrin:

CorvusOmbra
2011-03-07, 07:59 PM
Who shall die in the next round of gladiator fight? Belkar? The nameless gladiator? Neither? Both?

We must think how these options effect the plotline - what might appear as an anticlimax (massive or otherwise) in a contemporary context might turn out to be an important plot element and thus even relatively flat outcomes should not be discounted as possibilties.

Case 1: Belkar dies.

It could be rather anti-climactic, but so what? We have been given an assumption that he is on the Death's Short List. If he is to die anyway then why not now (Yes, I can think several reasons to save him for later, but this goes beside the point since this all is just contrafactual pondering)? Even if he dies, it wouldn't seem impossible that he would be rised or would rise spontaneously as an intelligent undead and tag along.

Case 2: The nameless gladiator dies (either by Belkar's hand or by Belkar's intended inaction).

This outcome might also be anti-climactic but could obviously be a useful plot element. Nameless gladiator might become an inspiration to other gladiators (or at least to that other nameless guy) that might in turn become either a sub-plot or Hydra Head BBQesqu joke. Also his death would remind us that Belkar is non-the-less an abominable sociopath who is (literally, and for same reasons) just as lovely as a slasher film villain and for who we should not be (by any logic) sorry for when he dies.

Of course the nameless one can get killed in a freak accident. But that would be rather dull, wouldn't it.

Case 3: No casualties (Win-win?).

Despite being the point of the whole show, are the casualties truly necessary in this instance? The other combatant could non-fatally defeat the other (or the other could be knocked out by a freak accident etc.) and Tarquin could rule mercy (somewhat unlikely lest and/or even if Elan demands it). Or the other gladiator gives hell to what Tarquin thinks and yields mercy anyway (very unlikey given their attitudes) though this option is likely to have unpleasant consequenses in near future.

Also, I entertained an idea earlier that a gladiator story cliché could take a twist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10427879#post10427879). While I first thought the match of Roy vs. Enor, the same should hold true in the case of Belkar and his opponent, since Belkar did say 'my friend and me'. Now should this happen, it would be some enjoyable poetic justice.

Case 4: Two-for-a-price-of-one (Lose-lose?).

After defeating his opponent the surviving gladiator is killed for no apparent reason. Or after defeating his opponent the other gladiator gives hell to what Tarquin thinks and yields mercy anyway, which proves to be fatal to both. Or Tarquin could have them dead all of a sudden with some insidious trick comparable to the good old sneaky-member-of-tyrannosauridae-familly ploy. Why? Because Tarquin revels in his own villany. This gesture would further underline the fact that he is, and in which quantities he is, in the terms of his son, 'a mean-meanyhead'. Dramatic. Yes. Original. No.

On a sidenote: How great do you think is the chance that those two gladiators turn out to be like Kazumi and Daigo (In the sense that they are NPCs with given names that do grant them greater importance to the story, that is)?

Red XIV
2011-03-07, 08:19 PM
Yeah, the main thing about Gobbotopia/Azure City that matters to the main plot is "have Xykon and Redcloak moved on to look for the next gate yet?"

Lex-Kat
2011-03-07, 08:39 PM
I enjoyed the last panel. :smallsmile: I never liked Belkar, though.

Narren
2011-03-07, 08:48 PM
The nameless gladiator?

Eh, his name is probably Spartacus.

M.A.D
2011-03-07, 09:57 PM
Methinks that's just a euphemism for "he's going to die before he sees another birthday after this one", but carry on .... :smallsigh:

Just so you know, "Belkar should savour his next birthday cake, 'cause it's the last one he'll ever get" and "Belkar will definitely have another birthday cake, and we'll see him eating it in-comic" are not even nearly the same thing.

:sigh:

Belkar may or may not have a cake, but he definitely has a birthday, and since he's not dying before his birthday, he might as well not dying today. I'm saying this in respond to theories of how he would die in the arena anticlimactically today. The day may come when Belkar would look back and wished that he had savoured his last birthday cake, but it is not this day! Because this day, he fights!!!!!

Gift Jeraff
2011-03-07, 11:26 PM
Are you saying his birthday did not pass? How do you know that? Did you read the script?

With the year being almost over, odds are his birthday has already past. But I don't think it really matters since it was just a figure of speech.

Guywiththecoat
2011-03-07, 11:58 PM

Belkar may or may not have a cake, but he definitely has a birthday, and since he's not dying before his birthday, he might as well not dying today. I'm saying this in respond to theories of how he would die in the arena anticlimactically today. The day may come when Belkar would look back and wished that he had savoured his last birthday cake, but it is not this day! Because this day, he fights!!!!!

Thank you for that rousing speech Elan.

Zevox
2011-03-08, 12:41 AM

And you are assuming the Giant will actually bother showing the characters' birthdays in-comic why? Most likely Belkar's birthday in question has already come and gone, given it is currently only a few weeks until the new year.

Seriously, the reason Belkar won't die here is because it would be anticlimactic and make for a poor story, not because there's anything about the Oracle's remarks preventing it. He'll be kicking the bucket sometime in the future without us ever seeing any birthday celebrations, you can be quite sure of that.

Zevox

Forealms
2011-03-08, 08:16 AM

Here's my guess (apologies if anyone else thought of it first): I think Belkar will put up a good fight but be beaten narrowly, but the other guy will refuse to kill him. Belkar is offended, and forces the guy to kill him.

After that, who knows. Maybe the guy replaces Belkar on the team when Roy gets out? I dunno.

I'm going to say the chance of this happening is equal to the proportion of other guesses I have made that turned out to be correct: 1/114

Which is to say, a very long shot. But anyone who lays a dollar/euro on it may win some good money :smallwink:

MarkusWolfe
2011-03-08, 08:38 AM
Oh, the irony in that last panel. I desire to make a pun using 'irony', 'lead' and 'brick', but none of those 3 substances have anything to do with each other.

danielmayer
2011-03-08, 08:55 AM
Great stripe with many good jokes. It has been a while since such "low-level" jokes were given to us :))
"his lead" was quite a pun. Loved it!

cc_kizz
2011-03-08, 10:55 AM
Oh, the irony in that last panel. I desire to make a pun using 'irony', 'lead' and 'brick', but none of those 3 substances have anything to do with each other.

Hmm. Something like "irony a brick into a lead sheet" comes to mind…

PsychedelicBard
2011-03-08, 11:15 AM
"It's not a lead sheet, it's an irony sheet!"

Worst. Pun. Ever.

Felixaar
2011-03-08, 04:42 PM
It's almost sweet that Belkar still remembers time spent with Miko with such fondness.

Almost.

Themrys
2011-03-08, 04:54 PM
It's almost sweet that Belkar still remembers time spent with Miko with such fondness.

Almost.

The fact that he tried to cause Miko to fall (and probably to kill her afterwards) and she tried to kill him makes the whole thing considerably less sweet.

However, it is nice his lead sheet has been put to good use.

faustin
2011-03-08, 06:40 PM
The fact that he tried to cause Miko to fall (and probably to kill her afterwards) and she tried to kill him makes the whole thing considerably less sweet.

I like to think both of them as the D&D version of Tom&Jerry cartoon. :smallbiggrin:

Cerlis
2011-03-08, 06:43 PM
actually i think it would be rather fitting for belkar to go in all cocky about the fight and when hes in there the mook ends up being better than he thought and about halfway he gets pissed that the guy isnt dying horribly like he is suppose to and making it hard for belkar to show him up. then he gets more bloody and Belkar basically gets one uped by some guy who has more character than he does, more importance (from a morality perspective) killing him because he is the total **** he is.

it would be a very "I didnt really change, you cant cheat the world. this is what you asked for and now you are going to die" moment.

unleet
2011-03-08, 11:43 PM
Isn't it more of a Call Back than a Brick Joke? Or is my Trope-Fu weak here?

It's neither, actually. A Brick Joke has a setup, with no punch line until much later. A Call Back is a reference to something that happened before the continuity.

The sheet coming back is actually more of a Chekhov's Boomerang.

Edit: I just reread the relevant trope pages.

M.A.D
2011-03-09, 12:50 AM
Are you saying his birthday did not pass? How do you know that? Did you read the script?

With the year being almost over, odds are his birthday has already past. But I don't think it really matters since it was just a figure of speech.

Between the moment the Oracle said "next birthday cake" and the end of the year, we have 9 weeks and 3 days. When the party began the journey to the Western continent, they still had 7 weeks left. Rules of probability says that there are approximately 7/9.5 chances of Belkar's birthday haven't passed yet.

Thank you for that rousing speech Elan.

It's Aragorn, actually, or Viggo Mortensen

And you are assuming the Giant will actually bother showing the characters' birthdays in-comic why?
Zevox

I assumed that it would have made a good comeback joke, at least in Belkar's case

Gnoman
2011-03-09, 07:38 AM
It's neither, actually. A Brick Joke has a setup, with no punch line until much later. A Call Back is a reference to something that happened before the continuity.

The sheet coming back is actually more of a Chekhov's Boomerang.

Edit: I just reread the relevant trope pages.

Nope. Definitely a call back. It's a reference to an earlier "episode" of the series, which is explicitly what a call back is defined as.

Herald Alberich
2011-03-09, 11:54 AM
Between the moment the Oracle said "next birthday cake" and the end of the year, we have 9 weeks and 3 days. When the party began the journey to the Western continent, they still had 7 weeks left. Rules of probability says that there are approximately 7/9.5 chances of Belkar's birthday haven't passed yet.

Nice analysis, except that the "birthday cake" reference was made during the first visit to the Oracle (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0329.html), not long after the beginning of the year (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0302.html). So it's actually the case that 52 - 7 = 45 weeks have passed since then. 45/52 = 86.5% chance the birthday has passed.

I assumed that it would have made a good comeback joke, at least in Belkar's case

Maybe, but that's far from a requirement. It makes an equally good turn of phrase that means "Belkar will die soon after his next birthday." It doesn't have to be literal.

Mutant Sheep
2011-03-09, 04:23 PM
It's Aragorn, actually, or Viggo Mortensen

:smallconfused:
I think he just meant the silly speech thing is something Elan does, not attributing Elan as the creator of that speech.

Djibril
2011-03-09, 04:55 PM

And as Terry Pratchett say: a million to one possibility come true every 9 out of 10

Still i want Belkar to live forever:belkar:

martianmister
2011-03-09, 06:55 PM

But he said "before the end of the year". It can be anytime soon...

SinsI
2011-03-09, 08:30 PM
Shouldn't the copyright be "2011"?

faustin
2011-03-10, 04:46 AM
I donīt see the point about the whole "Belkarīs gonna die because the Oracle...".
And what if the dies? The worse that can happen would be a boring sub-plot about Haley sneaking in the imperial treasure to get the diamond component to raise him.

Themrys
2011-03-10, 05:47 AM
I donīt see the point about the whole "Belkarīs gonna die because the Oracle...".
And what if the dies? The worse that can happen would be a boring sub-plot about Haley sneaking in the imperial treasure to get the diamond component to raise him.

Not very likely. Roy and Haley hope that Belkar will die before he stops pretending to be good. Haley won't steal and then waste a shiny diamond to raise him.

faustin
2011-03-10, 06:11 AM
Not very likely. Roy and Haley hope that Belkar will die before he stops pretending to be good. Haley won't steal and then waste a shiny diamond to raise him.

As showed during the Belkar vs Miko in Azure Cityīs throne room, The Order is loyal to his members, even Belkar, and prone to defend and rescue them in time of needs. And besides, Belkar is the strongest melee fighter after Roy, and a powerful asset they cannot allow themselves to lose in a sub-plot.
More important even, the comic NEED Belkar character, so he must survive.

Swordpriest
2011-03-10, 07:20 AM
Well, my only comment is that Roy and Haley were so relaxed and sure that their Belkar problems were going to be solved smoothly that it's sure to be anything but smooth. :smallwink: Kind of like "I'm glad I'm safe up here".

Ringbearer
2011-03-10, 08:31 AM
That is the greatest gag revival ever!

Well, it sure is since the infamous "Guess what spell I prepared this morning..." joke :)

Phishfood
2011-03-10, 08:35 AM
Nice analysis, except that the "birthday cake" reference was made during the first visit to the Oracle (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0329.html), not long after the beginning of the year (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0302.html). So it's actually the case that 52 - 7 = 45 weeks have passed since then. 45/52 = 86.5% chance the birthday has passed.

Assuming ootsverse has a 52 week year. Just saying.

The point I would kill belkar is likely more than a few weeks story time away, but I'm not writing the comic. So, either he will die at the plot point I imagine but much sooner temporally than I imagine or something completely different will happen.

wow...possibly the most useless thing I ever posted to a forum.

Boogastreehouse
2011-03-10, 07:37 PM
Beauty, they name is Rich Burlew. Best call-back since half-camel V.

I don't know, how about Elan's "you're invisible!" upon Roy's resurrection (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0665.html)?

(or more recently, "I got a nine!")

Hiro Protagonest
2011-03-10, 07:56 PM
I don't know, how about Elan's "you're invisible!" upon Roy's resurrection (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0665.html)?

(or more recently, "I got a nine!")

Not the resurrection, but the "I GOT A NINE" might do it.

Nimrod's Son
2011-03-13, 06:11 PM
Hair shape looks the same to me, as does the hair and skin color. On the other hand, the warlock had his papers, so if he was imprisoned, it would have to be over a separate offense.
It's pretty obvious now that guy wasn't a warlock anyway, but the hair shape is different (particularly on top, towards the front) and here's a comparison of skin-and-hair-colours (left column is the warlock, right column is the gladiator):

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/untitled.png

Belkar may or may not have a cake, but he definitely has a birthday, and since he's not dying before his birthday, he might as well not dying today.
We've never seen any of the characters have a birthday (the closest we've come is here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0500.html), when Roy finds out he missed one whilst in Celestia). There's no reason to assume it'll be any different for Belkar.

He'll be kicking the bucket sometime in the future without us ever seeing any birthday celebrations, you can be quite sure of that.
Yes, quite.