PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Turning fix

paperfaust
2011-03-06, 07:10 PM
Turning undead has always bothered me. It's overly complicated.

KM= Key Modifier (Cha or Wis)
60 foot range, you make a turn check to determine the how strong a creature is affected:
Max HD of creature affected=class level-10+1d20+KM.
If you roll a critical (20) on your turn check, your turn damage is maximized.
You automatically deal damage to any creature affected as KMd6+class level.
Creatures with less than half your HD are destroyed.

==
I made it 'turn creature' and 'key modifier' because I'm about to give a druid in my campaign the ability to turn vermin using his wisdom score.

The whole 'HD you can affect' chart was annoyingly complicated, and it limited you to creatures with up to 4 HD above yours. Undead usually get a lot of HD since they have no constitution score, so this little wrinkle ended up with one of my player's paladins being completely unable to turn certain undead, and those monsters didn't provide a struggle relative to that. So I made it within 10 HD of your own, plus your key modifier. You can succeed much harder, but you can also fail much harder.

I took away the 'undead' cower before you' because that's rebuke's territory. In my view, undead don't usually have the capacity to feel fear. Rebuking forces them to feel it.
In return, I upped the damage and the threshold.

The number of times per day you can turn I feel should be class-based.

Havvy
2011-03-06, 08:03 PM
While mostly good, I suggest the following fix:

"Creatures with less than half your HD are destroyed."

changes to

"Creatures with four HD less than your turning level or half of your turning level, whichever is more, are automatically destroyed."

Not sure whether that should take part of the turning damage or not, and I'm not quite sure what destroyed means. Does it count as the disintegration spell?

Elfstone
2011-03-06, 08:05 PM
Divine disintegrate. I would hope.