PDA

View Full Version : The Anhydrut, only it makes sense! (PEACH)

LOTRfan
2011-03-06, 07:34 PM
Okay, so Sandstorm introduced a new type of Inevitable, the Anhydrut. I was excited, as I love the Inevitables. The concept used, however..... look, an ordinary construct roaming around and protecting the wastes sounds interesting, but why would the Inevitables do it? I liked the overall idea though. What if there was an Inevitable that protected the natural state of the planes?

So, I took the basic of the idea of the Anhydrut, and made it into a creature that hunted down and stopped creatures who call extraplanar creatures and open gates. So, it is their job to ensure all planes develop into their own unique forms, without the "corruption" of outside sources messing up their inevitable progression.

Diasput comes from the Greek word dias, meaning dimension. I think the Seal Portal special ability might need a better mechanic. Any ideas?

Diasut
Large Construct (Lawful, Extraplanar)
Hit Points: 8d10+30 (74 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 28 (-1 size, +11 natural, +8 plate barding), touch 9, flat footed 28
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+18
Attack: Pincer Claw +13 melee (2d6+8)
Full Attack: 2 pincer claws +13 melee (2d6+8) and tail sting +11 melee (2d6+4)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Turn Extraplanar Creature, Spell-like Abilities, Seal Portal
Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Damage Reduction 10/Chaos, Fast Healing 5, Darkvision 60 ft., lowlight vision, spell resistance 20
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +5
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 11, Con ---, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 15
Skills: Diplomacy +4, Intimidate +4, Listen +9, Search +9, Sense Motive +12, Spot +9, Survival +3
Feats: Great Fortitude, Improved Overrun, Power Attack, Multiattack(B)
Environment: The Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Lawful Neutral
Advancement: 9-16 HD (Large); 17-24 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: -----

A large construct rolls towards the dimensional breach. Its scorpion-like body extends as is clasps the rift with its claws. Within seconds, the planar gate closes.

Diasuts are a special type of inevitable, one used to protect the natures of the plane. Specifically, it stops creatures from other planes from altering the inevitable changes all planes eventually undergo. While planehoppers are not worth a Diasut’s time, they go out of their way to stop outsiders from manipulating the natural progress of other planes (such as devils and angels), while also relentlessly tracking down and stopping those who continually call creatures for aid.

For many an outsider, this seems hypocritical, as the Inevitables do just that: change the progress of events to remain within the laws of the universe. If the Diasuts have thought of this, none seem to care. They travel from plane to plane, closing unnatural portals and banishing extraplanar creatures.

Combat
Diasuts rarely engage in melee, preferring to force outsiders away using their spell-like abilities. When forced, they aim for the most powerful target, stabbing and pinching it with its natural attacks.

Seal Portal (Sp): By concentrating on a planar anomaly (such as a gate spell, a Planar Sheppard’s planar bubble, or the like) for one round, the Diasut may make a level check (DC 10 + HD of the anomaly’s creator) to instantly suppress the effect. The Diasut gains a bonus to this check equal to its Hit Dice. Spells and spell-like abilities are treated as though dispelled, while supernatural abilities resume in 2d10 rounds.

Turn Extraplanar Creature (Su): Three times per day, a Diasut may turn/destroy creatures that have the extraplanar subtype as a cleric of equal HD could turn/destroy undead.

Spell-like Abilities: At will- Dimensional Anchor, Dismissal, Dispel Magic. 1/day- Banishment, Dimensional Lock. 1/week- Planeshift.

Land Outcast
2011-03-06, 08:19 PM
I think the Seal Portal special ability might need a better mechanic. Any ideas?

Well, there is a spell that has the following effect in the Manual of the Planes:

You permanently seal an interplanar portal or gate. If cast on a portal, the spell prevents any activation of it, although a seal portal may be dispelled by a dispel magic spell. A knock spell does not function on the sealed portal, but a chime of opening dispels seal portal if it was cast by a spellcaster of lower than 15th level.

You could take the wording from there...

LOTRfan
2011-03-06, 09:23 PM
Perfect. Are you allowed to post that, though?

Land Outcast
2011-03-06, 10:28 PM
Sound point, I'm not sure, just in case I took out most of the information, just leaving the relevant data (what it does), but not the mechanics beyond them.

Or do you think I should aliminate all mention of said spell?

EDIT:

By the way, some numbers in the Full Attack, and in the damage bonus for the secondary attack are off:

A creature’s primary natural weapon is its most effective natural attack, usually by virtue of the creature’s physiology, training, or innate talent with the weapon. An attack with a primary natural weapon uses the creature’s full attack bonus, and its damage includes its full Strength modifier (1-1/2 times its Strength bonus if the attack is with the creature’s sole natural weapon). Attacks with secondary natural weapons are less effective and are made with a –5 penalty on the attack roll, no matter how many there are, and add only 1/2 the creature’s Strength bonus to damage. (Creatures with the Multiattack feat take only a –2 penalty on secondary attacks.)

Eldan
2011-03-07, 06:43 AM
I like the idea.

However, to fully work as intended, I think it should also be able to do something about more extreme formes of "corruption", namely Breaches, not just portals and gates, as the spell does. So, for now, your version is closer to what it should be.

Land Outcast
2011-03-07, 09:37 AM
I like the idea.

However, to fully work as intended, I think it should also be able to do something about more extreme formes of "corruption", namely Breaches, not just portals and gates, as the spell does. So, for now, your version is closer to what it should be.I'm not familiar with "Breaches", what are they?
By the sound of it they'd be... accidental portals?

Eldan
2011-03-07, 09:44 AM
More than that. They are basically rifts between planes, large tears in the fabric of reality where the matter of one plane spills over into another. Mostly natural, rarely by spell.

So, if you have a breach to the plane of fire, everything around it burns. Planar Handbook, I think.

LOTRfan
2011-03-07, 05:27 PM
Sound point, I'm not sure, just in case I took out most of the information, just leaving the relevant data (what it does), but not the mechanics beyond them.

Or do you think I should aliminate all mention of said spell?

EDIT:

By the way, some numbers in the Full Attack, and in the damage bonus for the secondary attack are off:

I'll fix the attacks. Thanks for the catch.

As for getting rid of all mention of the spell, I don't think that's necessary. I don't think it's in the srd, though, so its probably best not to post it in its entirety. But let's stop that line of conversation, lest we break the forum rules...

I'll add it in as a spell-like ability, while also keeping the special ability to close the rifts Eldan mentioned.

Eldan
2011-03-08, 04:49 AM
Hmm. Just thinking, but: shouldn't these fight each other, if they went by the letter of the law? After all, they are creatures from Mechanus intruding on other planes.

LOTRfan
2011-03-08, 07:54 AM
That was one of my initial thoughts. The fluff states that if the Diasuts even realize that the Inevitables are breaking the law Diasuts enforce, they don't care.

That could be an interesting plot-line, though...

Eldan
2011-03-08, 07:57 AM
I could see it in some situations.

Another inevitable, say a Marut or Zelekhut, is after you, but there is also a Diasut nearby. With high enough diplomacy, you could perhaps convince the Diasut that the other inevitable should not be there at all.

Debihuman
2011-03-08, 10:28 AM
Your stat block needs some fixing:

AC is 28, touch 9, flat-footed 28

Primary attacks use full Str, Secondary attacks are half Str. If the claw is the primary weapon, then the tail is secondary. Secondary attacks are -2 to melee with Multiattack. Normally, they are -5. To get rid of the penalty altogether requires the Improved Multiattack feat. Secondary attacks are always secondary even if used as a primary weapons which is why they aren't listed in the first attack line. It looks like the pincer claw is the primary weapon. The attack and damage for the tail sting doesn't change even if it is used w/out the claw attacks.

You should note that the monster in Sandstorm lists the tail as a primary weapon in the Attack line but it is in error. Obviously no errata exists for the book so if you want to make the tail sting a primary weapon when used alone you could, but really it should be noted in the combat section. Also, you don't need to say "damage" in the stat block.

Attack: Pincer Claw +13 melee (2d6+8)
Full Attack: 2 pincer claws +13 melee (2d6+8) and tail sting +11 melee (2d6+4)

Debby

LOTRfan
2011-03-08, 09:25 PM
Thank you. I'll make the corrections at once.

DracoDei
2011-04-10, 08:53 PM
This may or may not be relevant to your interests:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7983727&postcount=8

LOTRfan
2011-04-10, 09:43 PM
That definitely does. Its a pretty cool prestige class, even if it is very long (I don't think I've ever seen a 15 level PrC before).

arguskos
2011-04-10, 09:44 PM
LOTRfan, not sure if you're aware of this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91492) thread. If you weren't, you really should be. I think you'll find it relevant to your interests. :smallcool:

LOTRfan
2011-04-10, 09:51 PM
LOTRfan, not sure if you're aware of this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91492) thread. If you weren't, you really should be. I think you'll find it relevant to your interests. :smallcool:

I wasn't aware of that either. I knew that Afroakuma was responsible for the Slaadi redux, but this looks even more fascinating. I'll have to PM afroakuma and ask if I could add that seal planar rift spell to the spell-like ability list.

I always love new Inevitables, and the Inexorables look interesting. If only the Infallibles were created. :smallfrown:

DracoDei
2011-04-12, 09:48 PM
That definitely does. Its a pretty cool prestige class, even if it is very long (I don't think I've ever seen a 15 level PrC before).
You give up Wild-shape which is a scaling/ungrading ability (and quite a powerful one) to get into it, plus it makes teleporting a pain. So the PrC has to keep going with more benefits, all the way to character level 20.

And... thank you. Please tell me when and if you draw any specific insight from it (only because it would warm my heart).