PDA

View Full Version : Rogue/Shadow Dancer

Master Thrower
2011-03-06, 08:59 PM
So im looking to play a rogue in an up coming game. We start at 11th level and I was wondering what build should I do if I'd like to HiPS. ANd what feats would I take? I was thinking something along the lines of Rogue 10 Shadow Dancer 1 and as my Rogue ability take ten on useful skills ie- UMD, Hide, Move silently etc.

Books usable- PH,DMG,MM, PLH,LM,DrC,CA,CadV,CD,CW.

gorfnab
2011-03-06, 09:39 PM
So im looking to play a rogue in an up coming game. We start at 11th level and I was wondering what build should I do if I'd like to HiPS. ANd what feats would I take? I was thinking something along the lines of Rogue 10 Shadow Dancer 1 and as my Rogue ability take ten on useful skills ie- UMD, Hide, Move silently etc.

Books usable- PH,DMG,MM, PLH,LM,DrC,CA,CadV,CD,CW.
With those books available you're not going to get much out of HiPS. The feat you would really need is Darkstalker and that's from Lords of Madness. Also if you had other books at your disposal you could buy HiPS (Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, Tome of Magic) or just take the Dark Creature template (Tome of Magic) which in my opinion is a better option than wasting feats and a level on Shadowdancer.

Another option is to go into Assassin since it gains HiPS at level 8. This would also net you some decent spells and more sneak attack. With the standard build of Rogue 5/ Assassin X, this would net you HiPS at level 13. Also this frees up some of your feat slots.

Curmudgeon
2011-03-06, 09:53 PM
You can't "take 10" on Use Magic Device, even with Skill Mastery. Even so, Skill Mastery is excellent, especially when you take it right after getting someone to cast Fox's Cunning on you for +4 to INT.

gorfnab is right about the books; that limited set makes any Rogue you create crippled. You want Champions of Ruin for Craven, the aforementioned Lords of Madness for Darkstalker, Magic Item Compendium so you can buy Mobility as an armor enhancement which grants the feat, Arms and Equipment Guide so you'll know how to add that enhancement to Bracers of Armor, Magic Item Compendium (again) so you'll know how to get all the same armor boosts in robes instead of bracers, and Complete Scoundrel for Savvy Rogue and skill tricks. If you want constant boosts to both attack and damage you'd need either Eberron Campaign Setting or Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting for Education, plus Complete Champion for Knowledge Devotion.

I like Rogues, a lot; they're my favorite D&D class. But I wouldn't play one with just that limited set of allowed sources.